• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The works of Joss Whedon

Firefly
    Serenity
    Buffy the Vampire Slayer
    Angel

Okay so I don't know all of his works, but I hear he's doing a new Wonder Woman movie . Anyways I'm a fan of all of the above (the episode of Angel where they get turned into teddies rocks!!!! And Buffy: The Musical)
    Anyways I absolutely love Firefly and Serenity (why, oh why, why did it get cancelled...why, oh why, why?).

I personally think that they should make a trilogy of Firefly movies....

Anyways, anyone else wanna talk about how great or not great Joss Whedon's works are? thoughts?
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

never saw buffy i did see angle i really like that show. i stoped watching it around the 2 or 3 season. they keeped chagneing what time it came on and i thought i got caned. firely and serenity i love that moive made me really want to see the show. i never watched it when it was on fox cuz most stuff on fox usely sucks

Comment

While Buffy and Angel were really, really bad; Firefly/Serenity was fantastic. So really I see the guy as being pretty hit-or-miss.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Joss is like.....my hero.....along with RDM.

I discovered his work last January and have idolized him pretty much ever since, have watched every episode of Firefly multiple times (and watched Serenity more times this year then I have ever watched any movie ever), am currently catching up on the few episodes of Angel that I missed, and am also currently watching Buffy through for the first time. Anyway, now that Angel is coming out in slim-packs, I hope to complete my Joss TV-on-DVD collection next year. The thing that I love about his work is that it's just so re-watchable, and that comes down to the impeccable dialogue, characterization, and themes. Not to mention he seems to have the most amazing instinct for picking actors. And did I mention the frakkin amazing dialogue!

And he's a very funny, ever-amusing guy in interviews.

And.....I could talk about him for hours. I am sooo waiting for Whedonesque to have an open registartion.

Comment

DA DA, DA DA DA, DA-DA DA DA...

Doom doom doom doom doom doom WONDER WOMAN!!!

If you're old enough to remember that, pray for us all.

In the meantime, Whedon TV rocks. Got hooked on Firefly, saw Serenity, took up Buffy, now winding that up and into Angel.

Man does that guy know how to dramatically yank an audience around. Impressive. Not always fun (Buffy Seasons 5 and 6 anyone? Ouch...), but decidedly impressive.
          Frak! --Apollo
          Frak you. --Cain
          FRAK Me! --Kat
          frakwit! --Tyrol
          B*tch took my ride. --Starbuck

Comment

i love josh whedon. i watched buffy, angel, firefly, serenity- and i thought they were all great.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

Originally posted by takinspace View Post
              Man does that guy know how to dramatically yank an audience around. Impressive. Not always fun (Buffy Seasons 5 and 6 anyone? Ouch...), but decidedly impressive.
              I liked every season of Buffy... 5 is with Glory, right? I loved that season!

Anyway, I like all of Joss' work except for his comic book work on "The Astonishing X-Men" - I love the X-Men and collect every X-Men comic, but I stopped collecting his. Just didn't do anything for me.

Firefly is good though. Serenity on HD-DVD is even better

Comment

Joss works with two constants in his work that never change no matter what he does:
                1. Give the audience what they need, not what they want
                2. Don't make things people like, make things people love.

Those two things are what makes him the complete opposite to 99% of the PTB on different shows and movies, he kills off favorite characters because their deaths are what pushes the characters and plots along to new levels that the audience will love. I have also seen that a lot of PTB get complacent, they let things stay the same or are happy with acceptable standard, Joss seems to think that if people don't love it, its not worth doing, which is admirable for someone in his position.

Buffy, Angel, and Firefly are all in my top 10 shows ever, with Firefly and Angel both making it to my Top 5. The characters are always planned out so well that they are so easily believed it doesn't take any effort for the audience to become deeply involved with them, which heightens the effect of even the smallest event that the character experiences, which in turn makes for much better watching.

Though the characters are incredible, they would be nothing without good writing, something that Joss doesn't even have to do himself. He can take nearly any writer and inspire them to write things that are in a league of their own. You only need to look at Firefly to see what he is capable of doing, and even that is matched and beaten in some of Angel's top episodes.

Last of all, the stories, because you have to have this, characters and writing to pull of a fantastic show, and two out of three doesnt cut it. Joss' incredible ability to have four or more plots going at once is something I've rarely seen matched. In Angel for example, you have the monster of the week, a short term arc, the season arc, and the overall arc.

The best thing about Joss is that he loves his work, probably even more than his fans do. You only need look at his reactions to Angel and Firefly's cancellations to see that.

Wow, that went on for a bit....
                Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
                  Joss works with two constants in his work that never change no matter what he does:
                  1. Give the audience what they need, not what they want
                  2. Don't make things people like, make things people love.

Those two things are what makes him the complete opposite to 99% of the PTB on different shows and movies, he kills off favorite characters because their deaths are what pushes the characters and plots along to new levels that the audience will love. I have also seen that a lot of PTB get complacent, they let things stay the same or are happy with acceptable standard, Joss seems to think that if people don't love it, its not worth doing, which is admirable for someone in his position.

Buffy, Angel, and Firefly are all in my top 10 shows ever, with Firefly and Angel both making it to my Top 5. The characters are always planned out so well that they are so easily believed it doesn't take any effort for the audience to become deeply involved with them, which heightens the effect of even the smallest event that the character experiences, which in turn makes for much better watching.

Though the characters are incredible, they would be nothing without good writing, something that Joss doesn't even have to do himself. He can take nearly any writer and inspire them to write things that are in a league of their own. You only need to look at Firefly to see what he is capable of doing, and even that is matched and beaten in some of Angel's top episodes.

Last of all, the stories, because you have to have this, characters and writing to pull of a fantastic show, and two out of three doesnt cut it. Joss' incredible ability to have four or more plots going at once is something I've rarely seen matched. In Angel for example, you have the monster of the week, a short term arc, the season arc, and the overall arc.

The best thing about Joss is that he loves his work, probably even more than his fans do. You only need look at his reactions to Angel and Firefly's cancellations to see that.

Wow, that went on for a bit....
                  That is one very nice post Signal! Pretty much sums up why I love his work as well. I desperatly want him to come up with another tv show.....I actually want to see something of his first run and experience the horror of the cliffhangers and having to wait and all the initial discussion fun after eps, etc. That's really what I regret missing out on having not seen the first run of his shows. Joss's shows are something to be experienced, not just watched.

Comment

While were on this subject I was wondering if anyone could link me to articles about Joss Whedon, and his works... how they become cult and the appeal they have, etc...

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus117 View Post
                      While were on this subject I was wondering if anyone could link me to articles about Joss Whedon, and his works... how they become cult and the appeal they have, etc...

Thank you.
                      Well, recently Joss did an almost-hour-long interview/chat on Fanboy radio, you can download the file here:

http://fanboyradio.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=155676

Not sure it answers those questions specifically, but you can hear from some fanatic Whedon fans, and Joss is entertaining as usual- there's talk on Wonder Woman, Goners, Fray, X-Men, and of course Buffy/Angel/Firefly.

The other best place to search for such articles is Whedonesque.
                      http://whedonesque.com/
                      If it's about Joss, and it's on the internet, it'll probably be linked to somewhere from this site.

Comment

Of the various work he has produced, written, or directed, I like the following:

Movies:
                        Serenity
                        Alien: Resurrection
                        Titan A.E.
                        Toy Story

TV Shows:
                        Firefly

Comment

Ooh yeah! Forgot to mention Toy Story! Another life-long favourite.

Comment

Aye, forgot about those. Revised:

Toy Story = Love it
                            Titan A.E. = Meh
                            Alien: Resurrection: Trash
                            Buffy = Trash
                            Angel = Trash
                            Firefly = Love it
                            Serenity = Love it

So basically...I maintain my hit-or-miss position.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Firefly is one of my favorite TV shows. I have it on DVD along with the movie Serenity.

Alien: Resurrection is a decent movie, far better than Alien 3, but not as good as the first two Alien movies.

Titan A.E. is a really good animated movie. I generally don't like 2D animation, but this is was such a good story, I forgot it was animated!

Toy Story is a hillarious movie, but ultimately movies about innanimate objects coming to life don't do anything for me. I'd watch it on TV, but I wouldn't buy the video.

Comment

Working...
                              X