This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumpers and Water

How come water can leak into a puddle jumper? Its a space worthy vehicle. That being said, it must be air tight, thus meaning it should be water tight also.

If you can fly in space, and not vent out atmosphere, then that must mean that water cannot come in.

I'm no expert but space involves 1 atmosphere trying to get out (air trying to ecsape jumper) whereas water involves multiple atmospheres worth of pressure trying to get in (water into the jumper).

Based on the alone, water is hard to do then space as far as pressures are concerned. While a ship may be handle 1 atmosphere trying to escape, it's a far cry from a ship being able to withstand the exponential pressure trying to get in

Comment

Also all the puddle jumpers we have been leaking water have been damage.

Looked at the one they use to rescue rodney and it had no trouble holding back water. I t only damage craft that leak water.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeroq View Post
        How come water can leak into a puddle jumper? Its a space worthy vehicle. That being said, it must be air tight, thus meaning it should be water tight also.

If you can fly in space, and not vent out atmosphere, then that must mean that water cannot come in.
        It was dammaged. its hull was fractured (sp).

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Originally posted by Melak View Post
          I'm no expert but space involves 1 atmosphere trying to get out (air trying to ecsape jumper) whereas water involves multiple atmospheres worth of pressure trying to get in (water into the jumper).

Based on the alone, water is hard to do then space as far as pressures are concerned. While a ship may be handle 1 atmosphere trying to escape, it's a far cry from a ship being able to withstand the exponential pressure trying to get in
          Indeed the ship was damaged and this guy speaks the truth.

For every 10 meters you go below water you get approximatly 1 atmosphere extra pressure on you plus the air in the atmosphere above the water aswell. Which means a ship designed to work in space at 0 atmosphere has to keep in 1 atmosphere of pressure, which isnt that hard to do. A ship made to work underwater at lets say 300 meters has to keep out 30 atmospheres of pressure which is considerably much more pressure.

Comment

This conversation reminds me of a conversation from Futurama, when the Planet Express ship gets drug to the bottom of the ocean by a giant fish. When asked how many atmospheres of pressure the ship can take the Professor responds, "Well it's a spaceship, so I'd say anywhere between one and zero."
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
              Also all the puddle jumpers we have been leaking water have been damage.

Looked at the one they use to rescue rodney and it had no trouble holding back water. I t only damage craft that leak water.
              Didnt that rescue pj have its shields?

But yeah i guess the pj in Return Part 2 took some very minor damage (from the drone or somethin else) so it was leaking.

Comment

In 38 minutes McKay said the door between the front and rear sections would leak atmosphere like a sieve so how could it withstand the water pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                  In 38 minutes McKay said the door between the front and rear sections would leak atmosphere like a sieve so how could it withstand the water pressure?
                  they've pretty much phased that out over the course of the first season because it seals pretty tightly when Mckay uses it to eva to fix the ancient defence weapon platform.

and.......(spoiler for the return pt 2)
                  Spoiler:
                  when retriving the asuran that was stuck in space

Comment

[
                    Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                    cos the rear compartment had breached the event horizon at the base, so when the gate shut down, there would be a big gaping hole into hard vacuum.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacardi View Post
                      [

cos the rear compartment had breached the event horizon at the base, so when the gate shut down, there would be a big gaping hole into hard vacuum.
                      No, that didn't happen until later. At the beginning, the even horizon was still in the front of the jumper, but McKay said it wouldn't hold (although I believe he said that it could give them a little extra time).

Comment

there was talk of allowing the jumper to be cut in half, leaving the back section intact, although leaking atmospere, then sending another jumper to rescue them, but then mcKay hit a circuit by accident causing the engines to fire for a second and the event horizon to be breached. i know because ive seen the episode literally 100 times. i used it for most of my research when building my model puddle jumper.

http://gallery.stargate-intel.net/in...Scale%20Models

Comment

Although the ships have sheilds if under enough pressure, the hull could frature even though there is a sheild

i agree that it was due the ships being damaged which caused the water to leak in.
                          sigpic
                          Spoiler:
                          President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                          President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                          Forum Charmer
                          Forum Ambassador
                          Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                          VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                          VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by ACharmedAsgard View Post
                            Although the ships have sheilds if under enough pressure, the hull could frature even though there is a sheild
                            Not really a sheild holds back water (like Atlantis underwater or the pj sent to rescue Rodney)
                            Theres only a leak when the shield is down.

Comment

Originally posted by The_New_Anubis View Post
                              Didnt that rescue pj have its shields?

But yeah i guess the pj in Return Part 2 took some very minor damage (from the drone or somethin else) so it was leaking.
                              The rescue PJ did but the PJ it was rescuing didnt.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Working...
                              X