PDA

View Full Version : Stargates mentioned in BSG news article

prion
December 2nd, 2006, 12:27 PM
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6396724.html

interesting article on Sci Fi channel and how BSG's ratings went when the gates went ....

'Battlestar Galactica’ Jumping to Sundays

excerpts:

Next month, Sci Fi Channel will dock its flagship series Battlestar Galactica
in another television galaxy: Sunday nights.

We’re confident that the audience will follow on a Sunday night and will
create a powerful appointment-to-view block which will hold its own against what
is perceived to be tougher competition, but in fact is less tough in terms of
direct, head-to-head genre competition,” he said.

This fall, Sci Fi took a chance by launching for the first time a fresh round
of episodes from original series into the teeth of the broadcast season. But
in looking to establish a Friday night fall tentpole, Battlestar was also
disengaged from the Stargate series that had accompanied it in the past.

TIME-SHIFTED STRUGGLES Sci Fi’s highest-rated original scripted series has
struggled during the first half of its third season, which began Oct. 6 and ends
Dec. 15. Through Nov. 17, the show’s premiere installments averaged a 1.4
household rating and 1.8 million viewers, well below the 2.1 rating and 2.4
million viewers the show attracted during the 10-episode first half of its
sophomore season from July to September 2005, and the 1.9/2.1 million during its
10-installment second half from January to March 2006.

*click on link above for full text*

Jackie
December 2nd, 2006, 12:51 PM
They still won't admit thier mistake. Geez! They honestly think BSG will hold against even BETTER programing? Ha, ha, ha--they make me laugh.

Pitry
December 2nd, 2006, 12:52 PM
Thankee!
Interestign article ;)

They still won't admit thier mistake. Geez! They honestly think BSG will hold against even BETTER programing? Ha, ha, ha--they make me laugh.

Well, come January, we'll see what the ratigns will say ;)

System Lord Anubis
December 3rd, 2006, 08:11 PM
Sorry, I believe I will be choosing Family Guy over that followed by Dexter on Showtime. :P

Let me know how it goes, sorry BSG. *shrug*

SaberBlade
December 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM
"But Howe said the program’s performance is skewed because of heavy digital video recorder action — a quarter of its viewing is time-shifted, according to Howe.

With DVR viewing factored in, the show has averaged a 1.8 household rating and 2.25 million viewers through Nov. 10 and has recorded a 2% gain to 1.4 million of Sci Fi’s target audience of adults 18 to 49, compared with the show’s full second season."

It's things like that which make Scifi think they can do obviously ****ty choices and come up smelling like roses. 1.8 with DVR sounds a lot better than the 1.4 without, however the show was still getting higher normal ratings such as 1.9/2.1+ without DVR yet Scifi can't see the mistakes staring them in the face. Instead, they make things worse by moving to a Sunday, whic from the sound of things looks bad.

If the show is getting 1.8 with DVR, and was getting around 2.0 without DVR, i'd love to find out what the old seasons with DVR worked out as if using DVR figures will help things look less as bad.

tagger
December 3rd, 2006, 10:49 PM
http://www.multichannel.com/article/CA6396724.html

interesting article on Sci Fi channel and how BSG's ratings went when the gates went ....

Battlestar was also disengaged from the Stargate series that had accompanied it in the past.

TIME-SHIFTED STRUGGLES Sci Fi’s highest-rated original scripted series has
struggled during the first half of its third season, which began Oct. 6 and ends
Dec. 15. Through Nov. 17, the show’s premiere installments averaged a 1.4
household rating and 1.8 million viewers, well below the 2.1 rating and 2.4
million viewers the show attracted during the 10-episode first half of its
sophomore season from July to September 2005, and the 1.9/2.1 million during its 10-installment second half from January to March 2006.

*click on link above for full text*

I agree, thanks for article link.

Basic law of cause and effect, for every action, a reaction, etc, etc, etc... For me it seems pretty obvious the loss of stargate has had a negative effect on Scifi's entire Fri programming block. and now it's even too late to use the sarcophagus... :(

caty
December 4th, 2006, 12:39 AM
They actually had 1.4 average??? That's even worse than the Gates....

With all that advertising.. I can't help but feel satisfied :)

MediaSavant
December 4th, 2006, 02:39 AM
i'd love to find out what the old seasons with DVR worked out as if using DVR figures will help things look less as bad.

Nielsen didn't start including DVR households in their sample until January of 2006 and they started adding them slowly so that the effect wasn't sudden. So, this is something new to the ratings that programmers have to deal with.

Even if they had included them prior to 2006, DVR penetration wasn't as high as it is now.

Farscapefan
December 4th, 2006, 05:59 AM

1.3 for the week of Nov. 13th to 19th :D

Lida
December 4th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Do you really think moving BSG will improve it's dismal ratings? Don't ask team Hammer/Stern, who will hopefully be jobless at the end of this season. :)

ussrelativity
December 4th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Do you really think moving BSG will improve it's dismal ratings? Don't ask team Hammer/Stern, who will hopefully be jobless at the end of this season. :)

It will collapse even more. Does anyone have a full ratings list for the current season?

Pitry
December 4th, 2006, 08:55 AM
It will collapse even more. Does anyone have a full ratings list for the current season?

Occupation/ Precipice - 1.8
Exodus part 1 - 1.6
Exodus part 2 - 1.5
Collaborators - 1.4
Torn - 1.5
A Measure of Salvation - ? (1.3? OR was that for Hero?)

And obviously, comparing to SG1
Flesh and Blood - 1.4
Morpheus - 1.6
Pegasus Project - 1.5
Insiders - 1.3
Uninvited - 1.5
200 - 1.9
Counterstrike - 1.6

|Didn't check teh averages but SG1s seems better. Not jsut the numbers, but also that SG1s drop and rise (for the next three episodes, they had 1.6, 1.5 and 1.7) while BSGs don't seem to be able to push back. Again, the entire 10 episodes should be in before I allow myself to say such a thing ;)

caty
December 4th, 2006, 10:40 AM
I know this is a little OT, but what about Eureka's ratings?? Were they any good?

PG15
December 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
1.3 for the week of Nov. 13th to 19th :D

Yeah, I got a goooood chuckle out of that. :docianime09:

I know this is a little OT, but what about Eureka's ratings?? Were they any good?

I think Eureka is currently on a 7 month hiatus. Its ratings are not on SciFi Wire.

Pitry
December 4th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Yeah, I got a goooood chuckle out of that. :docianime09:

I think Eureka is currently on a 7 month hiatus. Its ratings are not on SciFi Wire.

Yup, it finished its first season. If I'm not mistaken, the ratings were quite similar to Atlantis season 1, but dropped for the last several episodes.

BlueCat...Gater
December 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM

Ha Ha...me too!

esoap524
December 11th, 2006, 09:11 PM

Let's see...Cold Case on CBS, Desperate Housewives on ABC, some Law & Order on NBC and they think MORE people will watch on Sunday nights?

Hmm...

Michael Hinman
December 17th, 2006, 05:01 PM
I'm sure this might get me blasted, but while I admit that ratings of any show definitely has a lot to do with what's broadcast around it, I would say that if any percentage of the drop in BSG's ratings resulted from it no longer being coupled with the Stargate series, it would be minimal.

I know that that's not what a lot of Stargate fans want to hear (and hey, I'm one of them). But there are a number of factors at play in what affects the ratings.

Let's take a look at them:

1. When BSG aired with the two Stargate series, the shows were the lead-ins to BSG, but BSG still carried a larger audience. That means while there may have been some carryover from the lead-ins, BSG still attracted an audience that didn't necessarily result from the two Stargate series.

2. BSG is airing in the fall in these new ratings looks, which means (unlike summer and spring and such when the Stargates air) is going up against mostly prime network competition.

3. BSG also has suffered from an eight-month layoff, which to any highly-serialized series, could create problems. Just see what happened to other highly-serialized shows, like "The Sopranos," which saw a significant ratings decrease after its longest layoff.

4. It is important to have good lead-in shows, or good programming pairings, and BSG really has not been paired well in the fall. Don't get me wrong, I love "Doctor Who," but it's not original programming, and really not programming that goes beyond a set demographic, unlike the Stargate series which really can extend beyond the typical sci-fi demographic because of how it takes place in present-day Earth, involves things found in reality, and has a lot of humor.

I think BSG may do a bit better in the ratings, or at least hold steady, come January because it is being paired with an original series, "The Dresden Files," which -- like the Stargates -- can attract an audience that is not just sci-fi. Also, I think the competition against BSG on Sunday nights will be less significant.

In all, unlike the Stargates, BSG is highly-serialized. When I first started watching SG-1, I was able to get into the show immediately, even though it was like the fifth or sixth season, because the show is not highly-serialized. I was able to later learn all the history and such through reruns, or simply through mentions in later episodes.

BSG, however, is not like that. It's a show that if you don't watch episodes preceding it, you could very well be lost in what is being portrayed and why. So things that should have meaning may not, if you don't have the proper context. Those types of shows also rarely hold audiences over long periods of times, thus why most networks prefer to stick with more standalone type series. I mean, if you don't believe me, look at one of the greatest all-time TV successes: "Law & Order." You can watch any episode any time without ever having watched the series before. It's all standalone episodes with very little characterization.

That's great if you just want to give your mind a break while watching television, but not if you're looking for strong, character-driven series.

Michael Hinman
December 17th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Let's see...Cold Case on CBS, Desperate Housewives on ABC, some Law & Order on NBC and they think MORE people will watch on Sunday nights?

Hmm...

The show is technically going to go against "Desperate Housewives" and "Brothers and Sisters," the former facing declining ratings of its own, and both not expected to attract anywhere near the same demographic as BSG.

If you paired Monday Night Football to Martha Stewart, you would agree that the TV audiences would be split, correct?

cavalierlwt
December 23rd, 2006, 01:02 AM
Not to stereotype but 'Desperate Housewives' will take some of BSG's female audience--which hurts because from what I read, BSG has better than average success with female viewers. Sunday Night football might hurt a bit, as well as HBO coming back with Rome and maybe Sopranos (don't know if Sopranos will be back at the same time though)...either way, it all doesn't bode well for BSG.

I'm a big believer in synergy,ie, having the 'Gates and BSG on the same night. IMHO there are plenty of people who look at that 3 hour block on a Friday night and decide to skip the DVR and just make a night of it. It's like when HBO had The Sopranos and Deadwood back to back--it was an event larger than the sum of it's parts.

quicksilver
December 23rd, 2006, 03:02 AM
As much as I loved SciFi Friday and understood the chemistry of having the Gates linked to BSG, I can understand what they are trying to do. They would like a share of the juiciest television audience night of the week. Sunday night is a big Kahuna. Few people are out and about on a Sunday night so the chance to pick up a really big audience is great. So is the risk. Why they didn't leave the Gates where they were and added one new show to Friday night, well that I don't understand.