This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puddle Jumper naming

When I first heard it I thought it was a joke, but the names stuck. Am I the only one who thinks its a silly name? Gate Ship would have been a much better alternative?

Wrong?

There trapped in Atlantis, in an uknown Galaxy, with Freaky Bug Vampires wanting them as food, a miniscule supply of personal belongings, Ancient tech that could go haywire at any moment and they've travelled the furthest any human has gone, wiht no way of getting back...

... At least give them something to joke about!

Comment

o, I am not critizing the name, despite how it may seem in my original post.

I like some of the jokes that are in SG, carsons video footage in letters homes for instance is hilarious

Comment

I think naming them Puddle Jumpers instead of Gate Ships is just another indication of the human element that has helped SG-1 (and hopefully Atlantis) to survive for so long.

If this were Star Trek then Gate Ship would be a perfectly decent name. But a little human touch put into the naming I think makes them all the more interesting.

Plus the Gateship/Puddle Jumper debate started off the whole running joke of naming things in S1 which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Comment

i just love the fact that the asurans call it a gateship in the return part 2, lol...

and that is in no way a spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Kalyse View Post
            When I first heard it I thought it was a joke, but the names stuck. Am I the only one who thinks its a silly name? Gate Ship would have been a much better alternative?

Wrong?
            I really like the name puddle jumpers, it is cute. Plus it fits when you look at what the gate looks like (puddles) and the fact that they jump through worn holes.
            Weir: He's just a boy!
            Jinto: I am Jinto.
            Sheppard: She's pleased to meet you.

I miss Jinto.

Comment

I like Puddle Jumper too, very cute and yes it does add a certain human element into the naming of devices. But the problem is I also like Gate Ship too ... it's just so techy and maybe a little tacky that's it's good. Plus Ford and McKay were so excited about naming something when the decided on Gate Ship

My LiveJournal :: Walls :: Sigs:: Icons :: FanVids
              "Who looks at a screwdriver and goes 'Ooh! This could be a little more sonic?!'" - Cpt. Jack Harkness

Comment

I love the name Puddle Jumper! (PJ for short - ain't that cute.).
                I dunno, I feel Gate Ship is too stuffy or formal sounding of a name as well as lacking character. And given the personalities of the expedition members - well the name Puddle Jumper just seems to fit. *shrugs shoulders*
                sigpic

Comment

Puddlejumper is the perfect name for the ships. It is a little like some of the planes that people are stuck traveling on for short trips. Of course it can do lots more.

Gateship just sounds too grand!

Plus, look at who named it. Sheppard is supposed to have flown many types of aircraft. He would know a Puddlejumper from a Gateship. The name fits his personality and tendency to understate things.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'll be blunt; if you say Gateship really fast, it sounds like Gayship.

Not that there is anything wrong with homosexuality (IMHO), but come on...you don't want your little brother or sister snickering at the TV each time they say it.

(Again, I'm not against homosexuality in any form, but you have to admit, it's a societal thing)

Comment

Originally posted by Pocus View Post
                      Puddlejumper is the perfect name for the ships. It is a little like some of the planes that people are stuck traveling on for short trips. Of course it can do lots more.

Gateship just sounds too grand!

Plus, look at who named it. Sheppard is supposed to have flown many types of aircraft. He would know a Puddlejumper from a Gateship. The name fits his personality and tendency to understate things.
                      I agree, first of McKay came up with "Gateship" He even says "It's a ship
                      that goes thru the gate--"Gateship" Shepard was the one to name it
                      because first he is the pilot and he is in Command of the military force.
                      Remember also He told Ford "You don't get to name anthing
                      anymore" in a joking manner. So when it comes to naming things new
                      there will always be little contest among the Team members to name
                      it first. I kind of like that and it gives some comedy to a serious situation.
                      I also vote yes for the name "Puddlejumper" if someone is listening
                      they would have think of what they mean when they hear "Puddlejumper
                      One ready to go." Who ever is on the other end would have no idea of is
                      going on.
                      Lt. Geo. Jr.
                      George Jr.

Comment

I think name Puddlejumper has imagination to it.

: Green is Good.
                        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

gate ship does make more sense than puddle jumper after all it is a ship that goes through the gate
                          sigpic
                          Sig For Me!

Comment

The name "puddle jumper" is a pun on the ship's ability to travel through Stargate event horizons, which visually resemble pools of water, jumping through a puddle. Puddle jumper is also a term for small commuter seaplanes. The name was coined by Major John Sheppard, an experienced pilot, who found a double meaning when describing the craft.

Comment

I gotta say the puddle jumper name always grabbed me, its great, it just feel so right as a recuring piece of technology fro mthe stargate universe. Its like the Zat gun, sure the Goauld called it zaknikitel but calling it the zat gun made it feel like part of the team in a way. the staff weapon was never changed because it wasnt really used but as the show moved forward how annoyed would we have become if the zat gun was constantly called zatnikitel, its just a waste of air when you have zat gun as being a much cooler alternative.
                              The Puddle jumper is the same, i couldnt and rodney and the team saying gateship day in day out, and im a techie, i like ships, explosions, naquadah generators, ZPM's and wormholes..but Puddle jumper and the lovely PJ abbrieviation we get to use for it has become entrenched in my heart and having them say gateship one would just annoy and bother me. As if people havent got enough to complain about..i think this may be the one time when shepard was completely correct in taking charge of the naming game because the puddle jumper was a stroke of genius and the show would be less without it.

Immhotep
                              sigpic
                              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                              Stargate : Genesis |
                              Original Starship DesignThread
                              Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                              11000! green me

Comment

Working...
                              X