This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weir as Leader discussion

The writers have brought it up in Season 3. Weir managed to retain her command.

What does everyone think? And why?

She should have had command taken off her the minute she let a wraith queen on board atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan View Post
      She should have had command taken off her the minute she let a wraith queen on board atlantis.
      What would you have done in her place?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
        What would you have done in her place?
        I havent seen that episode so I cant answer. However, others may be able to comment.

I can understand why they put a non military person in charge of what was going to be a scientific/exploratory expedition. Once it turned into a military operation with science on the side, Weir looked out of place. It was crazy to hear her say things like, "We need to put jumpers in the air." While that was pretty obvious, it should be a military person in charge of everybody making strategic decisions. In Stargate Command, there were scientists and archeologists but the militiary was in charge.

Comment

Personally, I think she is doing a good job leading the expedition. She is a skilled diplomat who uses the strengths of her team wisely. She knows who to go to for scientific problems(McKay or Zelenka), military problems(John), and problems with the locals (Teyla). A good leader looks to her experts then makes an educated decision (note that she doesn't necessarily have to accept every recomendation to be an effective leader). She isn't perfect, but she knows how to make the hard calls and that is what matters at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gate gal View Post
            Personally, I think she is doing a good job leading the expedition. She is a skilled diplomat who uses the strengths of her team wisely. She knows who to go to for scientific problems(McKay or Zelenka), military problems(John), and problems with the locals (Teyla). A good leader looks to her experts then makes an educated decision (note that she doesn't necessarily have to accept every recomendation to be an effective leader). She isn't perfect, but she knows how to make the hard calls and that is what matters at the end of the day.

It would be interesting to look at percentages of how many decisions are really military ones and how many are general/scientific etc. I agree that a leader looks to her experts but certainly in Season 1 Weir didnt look a decisive leader and procrastinated while acton should have been taken. An example is in Hot Zone.

Perhaps the writers are doing a better job in Seasons 2 and 3 but I wish there was a better leader.

Comment

*cough*excuse me*cough*

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=27843

Comment

Working...
              X