PDA

View Full Version : Hiro Nakamura/Masi Oka Appreciation/Discussion

eri-chan
November 29th, 2006, 06:55 AM
yatta ! :)

*hee* i saw a hayden thread so i figured i'd make a hiro thread.

so many people seem to be taken in by him. well he is such an awesome character. and on top of that, masayori oka seems to be a genius himself :o

hiro is such a lovable character XD

lostinspace
November 29th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Masi Oka was interviewed by TV Guide's Mike Auseillo while in New York City last Tuesday. It's a good one, about 10+ mins long. See the video from here (http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/heroes/281246).

Some tidbits:
- Why hasn't Hiro popped back up at the present time? "If he could, he would"
- Is there a future between Hiro and Charlie? "Well, there's a past..."
- Talks about the DC (one timeline) and Marvel (alternate timelines) time-space continuum debate
- Hiro meets his dad (played by the amazing George Takei), supposedly premiering in Ep 13? They've already shot one scene. Masi is petrified by Takei's stare, and hopes for a throw back comment to Star Trek along the lines of "Sulu's my father, not you!"
- Masi's been reading another episode script back at his hotel room
- Masi evidently gave Mike some advice about acting (1-2 lines) in Scrubs. He (Masi) may be going back to Scrubs if time permits, and wouldn't mind giving a wink to Heroes by tatooing his neck with a helix
- Masi remains grounded, drives a 2000 Honda Accord and might get a hybrid car if Heroes goes to season 3-4
- Masi still consults for a day or two with Industrial Light and Magic (ILM) as an archivist to decipher some of the codes he's written. He codes the programs that create the special effects. He'd love to one day direct a Heroes episode, use his ILM discount card and maybe even do his own effects
- Has tremendous respect for Tim Kring, Heroes' creator, wishes there'd be a movie about "Being Tim Kring"

All of Masi (and Milo)'s interviews last week in NYC can be found in an earlier General Discussion post here (http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost.php?p=6045460&postcount=2).

eri-chan
November 29th, 2006, 08:02 AM
wow. cool thanks for the link to the interview XD

im just starting to delve more and more into the heroes universe here.

ToasterOnFire
November 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
He's my favorite character so far. :)

travis
November 29th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I think whats makes his character so likable is that you can find that kind of persona in all of us.

Trek_Girl42
November 29th, 2006, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the interview link- it's a great one! Masi and Hiro, are awsome! :D

eri-chan
November 30th, 2006, 12:32 AM
I think whats makes his character so likable is that you can find that kind of persona in all of us.

yeah thats true. hee we're all geeks for being on this forum ;) so i guess we can associate with him on that :o i think that and he's the most cheerful one and hopeful one and most gung-ho about his powers.

everyone else seems kinda emo-ish but then again, the show does lean towards that way.

lostinspace
November 30th, 2006, 02:33 PM
There's an interview of Masi Oka in the Nov 30 edition of the Buffalo News. Full article linked here at http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061130/1071911.asp

A little teaser cut below:
Q: Why do you think people love Hiro so much?

A: I'm not sure, exactly. I know why I like him. He's basically a wide-eyed kid full of wonder. He's the kind of person so many of us want to be, but we lose much of that wonder as we grow up and grapple with societal pressures. Also, television is so full of dark, stern characters these days. I think the medium needs some more lightness and optimism.

Q: You mentioned the "lightness" of Hiro. But you've also had to play the future version of the character, who seems more dark and serious. Is that a tough transition?

A: Any time you can play two diverse characters in one show, it's a great acting challenge. And playing Future Hiro is cool. You've got the robes, the sword and the soul patch which, in real life, would have taken me a whole year to grow. You feel like a total bad ass and a chick magnet.

Q: And that's a beautiful thing, right?

A: Absolutely. The first time I put on that costume, I was going around to all the women on the (film) crew and saying, (with deepened voice), "Hey baby, what's up?" They'd all say, "Oh Hiro, you're so studly and cool!" And I'd say, "Yeah, I know."

Trek_Girl42
November 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
There's an interview of Masi Oka in the Nov 30 edition of the Buffalo News. Full article linked here at http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20061130/1071911.asp

A little teaser cut below:
Q: Why do you think people love Hiro so much?

A: I'm not sure, exactly. I know why I like him. He's basically a wide-eyed kid full of wonder. He's the kind of person so many of us want to be, but we lose much of that wonder as we grow up and grapple with societal pressures. Also, television is so full of dark, stern characters these days. I think the medium needs some more lightness and optimism.

Q: You mentioned the "lightness" of Hiro. But you've also had to play the future version of the character, who seems more dark and serious. Is that a tough transition?

A: Any time you can play two diverse characters in one show, it's a great acting challenge. And playing Future Hiro is cool. You've got the robes, the sword and the soul patch which, in real life, would have taken me a whole year to grow. You feel like a total bad ass and a chick magnet.

Q: And that's a beautiful thing, right?

A: Absolutely. The first time I put on that costume, I was going around to all the women on the (film) crew and saying, (with deepened voice), "Hey baby, what's up?" They'd all say, "Oh Hiro, you're so studly and cool!" And I'd say, "Yeah, I know."
Thanks for the link! :D

travis
November 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
yeah thats true. hee we're all geeks for being on this forum ;) so i guess we can associate with him on that :o i think that and he's the most cheerful one and hopeful one and most gung-ho about his powers.

everyone else seems kinda emo-ish but then again, the show does lean towards that way.

LOL I would'nt discribe it as geeks, more so intelligent people with a highly active imagination.:D

I agree with you in that he's the only one that's taking power serious and that he's also very noble and humble about it.:)

lostinspace
December 1st, 2006, 06:27 AM
Speaking of geeks, Hiro features twice in Entertainment Weekly's Holiday Gifts 2006 feature. See Geeking Out: Masi Oka Shops For Hiro (http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1564667_3||1564640|0_0_,00.html) and What To Get Your Hiro Nakamura (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/commentary/0,6115,1564851_3||1564640|1_0_,00.html). Best gift: The first-season DVD of Heroes, so I can find out how the season ends. Technically, it would be a gift from Future Hiro. (me: I'd want one too!)

ToasterOnFire
December 1st, 2006, 01:10 PM
I like the play on Hiro's name too, "super Hiro!" It reminds me of the main character in Neal Stephenson's cyberpunk/SF book "Snow Crash" - his name was Hiro Protagonist (double snort) and he ran around cyberspace with a samuri sword to boot. :D

_WraithQueen_
December 1st, 2006, 04:43 PM
yay! Hiro is by far the best character in heroes. He is just so cute and funny. Also his power kicks ass :P

Ronja
December 1st, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hiro is the best!! :D:D And what an amazing actor Masi is! :D

eri-chan
December 1st, 2006, 08:20 PM
LOL I would'nt discribe it as geeks, more so intelligent people with a highly active imagination.:D
LOL :P ;) a very imaginative way of putting it :ronan:

I agree with you in that he's the only one that's taking power serious and that he's also very noble and humble about it.:)
hmm now that i think about it, peter seems quite gung-ho on his powers too but he seems to be going that way so he can prove something where as hiro is just excited by them.

I like the play on Hiro's name too, "super Hiro!"
LOL i kinda like that too. when i think of "nakamura" i wonder if thats some kinda play on words too. maybe not but i'll go out on a limb and say it kinda indicates him being in the middle. if only i could read the kanji to his name. but i cant so ill assume his name is made up of "naka" = middle, centre and "mura" = village
hehe and on this note i cant help but feel sorry for "ando". its kinda how a japanese person would say "and"

Erised
December 3rd, 2006, 12:24 AM
I Love Hiro!!!!! :d

Space Monkey52
December 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I just saw that Masi did work for ILM too. I think I'm in love. :samanime51:

lostinspace
December 6th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Masi-lovers, geek out! I just read an interview (yes, another one) with Masi Oka in The New York Times. Imagine that! Article linked here (login is free if prompted) http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/04/arts/television/04oka.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

Teaser below. If you can't access the article, let me know and I'll just copy the whole text over instead.
Oops. Geeking out again. Perhaps not surprisingly, Mr. Oka is single.

“I still haven’t found my soul mate per se,” he said. “I’ll tell you that I have some feelers out there, but it’s so hard, working in this environment.”

His friends, including the “Heroes” crew — “My makeup and hair folks, they’re looking out for me” — are pitching in as would-be matchmakers, as is his co-star Milo Ventimiglia, who, like Mr. Oka, plays a once-ordinary person who has developed extraordinary powers. Mr. Ventimiglia’s character can fly, and Mr. Oka’s can relocate from Tokyo to Times Square in a heartbeat. Off screen, the two actors hang out.

“We don’t really party-party, but we definitely go to bars,” Mr. Oka said, adding that Mr. Ventimiglia was his mentor in that setting. “Oh, definitely, I’ve learned a lot. It’s quite an art form, watching Milo work.”

eri-chan
December 11th, 2006, 04:38 PM
what do people think about this sword of his? and that painting?

MarshAngel
December 14th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Masi Oka just received his very first Golden Globe nomination for Heroes! This is good news for him and the show which was nominated as well.... interestingly I didn't hear his name being read so for all I know these Enews reporters lied to me.

2ndgenerationalteran
December 15th, 2006, 11:29 PM
must say Hiro is my favorite character (im biased because im Japanese myself :D) but cmon he's got the coolest power. He's heart of the show,not to mention his name and the show name are phonetically (sp) the same...

eri-chan
December 16th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Masi Oka just received his very first Golden Globe nomination for Heroes! This is good news for him and the show which was nominated as well.... interestingly I didn't hear his name being read so for all I know these Enews reporters lied to me.

omg thats awesome news! :) :)

Trek_Girl42
December 17th, 2006, 09:41 PM
omg thats awesome news! :) :)
Indeed- very well deserved on Masi's part. He's certainly been one of the most enjoyable people to watch on tv this year. :)

Space Monkey52
December 18th, 2006, 05:09 AM

Nice. Anybody see that they also have an article about him in the new issue of Sci-Fi channel magazine? Plus I think he was a presenter along with Hayden at the recent Spike VGA's.

Elles
December 18th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Masi Oka was interviewed by TV Guide's Mike Auseillo while in New York City last Tuesday. It's a good one, about 10+ mins long. See the video from here (http://www.tvguide.com/tvshows/heroes/281246).
Speaking of the interview... is that Ben Browder over in the background?

Anyhoo... thought I'd drop by at this thread because Hiro Nakamura happens to be my favorite character... and...

My current math teacher taught Masi Oka when he was in elementary school. Which is the reason why we set aside fifteen minutes of class every tuesday to discuss the episodes. No, seriously.

So yeah. I'll just say my favorite quote and dissapear for a bit.

My name is Hiro Nakamura, I am here to save your life.

Wait! I don't want to go yet! One more thing...

When he stops time... shouldn't all the atoms stop moving... which means... Wouldn't it get to be very cold? And what about light? Wouldn't light stop moving too? Maybe I'm wrong... But it's been bugging me...

Space Monkey52
December 18th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Anyhoo... thought I'd drop by at this thread because Hiro Nakamura happens to be my favorite character... and...

My current math teacher taught Masi Oka when he was in elementary school. Which is the reason why we set aside fifteen minutes of class every tuesday to discuss the episodes. No, seriously.

Nice! Has he tried talking to Masi again?

Closest thing to that I can mention is that Conan O'Brian went to my high school.

Elles
December 18th, 2006, 05:33 PM

Closest thing to that I can mention is that Conan O'Brian went to my high school.
He said that if any one of us found out what his e-mail address is, he would. Which brings me 'round to another question...

Does anybody know the address that I can send fan-mail to him at? I've been trying to research that but I hath found nothing...

*chuckles* One time in math we were talking about Masi Oka, and there's this extremely annoying kid in my math class who has a crush on me and I decided that the best way to get him to stop stalking me was to say that I wanted to marry Masi Oka, even though I didn't really mean it at the time.

And now... I truly do think I'm in love. :) :o

Not with the other boy... I hate him with a passion.

But seriously! It might work out! I mean... there's a huge age difference, but we have so many things in common.

1) We're both Trek fans.
2) We have the same math teacher.
3) Um... I do have a small aspiration to become an actress... I reckon if that dream were to come true it would make another similarity...

Trek_Girl42
December 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
That is very cool Elles!

[quote=Elles;6109771]Anyhoo... thought I'd drop by at this thread because Hiro Nakamura happens to be my favorite character... and...

No one famous ever "went" to my high school.....either of them. :mckay:

Space Monkey52
December 20th, 2006, 04:51 AM
That is very cool Elles!

No one famous ever "went" to my high school.....either of them. :mckay:

The high school scenes from "The Next Karate Kid" were also filmed at my high school. It's been remodeled since then, but the roof still looks the same and so does the quad.

Trek_Girl42
December 20th, 2006, 08:26 AM
The high school scenes from "The Next Karate Kid" were also filmed at my high school. It's been remodeled since then, but the roof still looks the same and so does the quad.
This may be a dumb question.....but what's a quad? (is it an American term? I've never, ever heard it except in American books and television.)

Elles
December 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
I know that it can refer to those who use wheel chairs... something I learned from a movie I watched once about rugby for disabled kids... but I'm not sure what it is in reference to a building...

The Ori
December 21st, 2006, 07:06 AM
He deserves his award nomination!!

LoneStar1836
December 24th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Hiro is definitely my favorite character followed by Peter.

I saw Masi Oka on an old episode of the Jamie Kennedy Experiment sometime last week. He wasn't the one getting X'd but was one of the actors that was part of the gag.

I think it's cool that he also worked as a visual effects creator with George Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).

This may be a dumb question.....but what's a quad? (is it an American term? I've never, ever heard it except in American books and television.)A rectangular area surrounded on all sides by buildings.

I've never used the term in everyday speech, but then the schools I went to never had a quad, but I had a general idea of what it was when I heard it.

Trek_Girl42
December 24th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Hiro is definitely my favorite character followed by Peter.

I saw Masi Oka on an old episode of the Jamie Kennedy Experiment sometime last week. He wasn't the one getting X'd but was one of the actors that was part of the gag.

I think it's cool that he also worked as a visual effects creator with George Lucas’ Industrial Light & Magic (ILM).

A rectangular area surrounded on all sides by buildings.

I've never used the term in everyday speech, but then the schools I went to never had a quad, but I had a general idea of what it was when I heard it.
Interesting- my first high school had something like that, but it was called a courtyard.

And I also think that it's very cool that Masi worked at Industrial Light and Magic. It would be very cool if he did some visual effects work on Heroes sometime, just cause. :)

Elles
December 24th, 2006, 11:26 PM
If anybody, for whatever reason cares...

Masi Oka's favorite brand of cereal is Lucky Charms. Or at least was when my math teacher taught him... But if anybody knows the address at which I can send him a box of breakfast cereal... please let me know.

Trek_Girl42
December 25th, 2006, 12:17 AM
If anybody, for whatever reason cares...

Masi Oka's favorite brand of cereal is Lucky Charms. Or at least was when my math teacher taught him... But if anybody knows the address at which I can send him a box of breakfast cereal... please let me know.
LMAO.....*sigh* Lets just overwelm him with boxes of cerial shall we? It must be so odd to become famous like that, and then have your former teachers spread your deepest secrets. :P

Elles
December 25th, 2006, 08:09 PM
LMAO.....*sigh* Lets just overwelm him with boxes of cerial shall we? It must be so odd to become famous like that, and then have your former teachers spread your deepest secrets. :P
Oh dear. I just realised that I need to tell my math teacher what my favorite brand of cereal is for when I become famous.

Trek_Girl42
December 25th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Oh dear. I just realised that I need to tell my math teacher what my favorite brand of cereal is for when I become famous.
*Trek Girl makes note to tell the entire world her favourite brand of cerial* :p

Elles
December 26th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Actually I don't have a favorite brand. I eat granola, cause...
that's what Joe Flanigan eats. :P

Trek_Girl42
December 26th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Actually I don't have a favorite brand. I eat granola, cause...
that's what Joe Flanigan eats. :P
Oh god..... ^obsessive girl here! :P

Elles
December 27th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Oh god..... ^obsessive girl here! :P
:indeed:

And I'm proud of it...

Daika
January 2nd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Anybody thinks that Hiro is the bad guy? We know he will be getting a sword and you can only chop a head of with a very sharp tool:). Great characters those japanese actors.

Doze
January 2nd, 2007, 09:16 AM
Anybody thinks that Hiro is the bad guy? We know he will be getting a sword and you can only chop a head of with a very sharp tool:). Great characters those japanese actors.
Rrrrr. No. The only one I am sure will not go bad... at least for now is Hiro. He has the best moral value of them all and a sword is only a tool. A sword dose not kill people, people kill people.

Elles
January 2nd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Rrrrr. No. The only one I am sure will not go bad... at least for now is Hiro. He has the best moral value of them all and a sword is only a tool. A sword dose not kill people, people kill people.
Good point,

and no... I don't think he's going to become a bad guy. The picture we saw with him weilding the sword has him slaying some monster/dragon/beast-type-thing.

Trek_Girl42
January 2nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Not a chance. Hiro is the ultimate hero, along with Peter, although whether Peter could go bad is a whole different story. ;)

And who says a sword is a bad thing. Honestly, if only the bad guys got the cool swords.....they wouldn't be the bad guys anymore, everyone would worship them.

Doze
January 5th, 2007, 09:52 AM
And who says a sword is a bad thing. Honestly, if only the bad guys got the cool swords.....they wouldn't be the bad guys anymore, everyone would worship them.
Right!
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8707/tmp8186xn5.jpg

Trek_Girl42
January 5th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Right!
http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/8707/tmp8186xn5.jpg
Ooh COOL! Me likes the pretty sword. :D

IcyNeko
January 5th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Yes please. Ooooh yes.

eri-chan
January 20th, 2007, 11:21 PM
hey that sword looks nice :D

i feel very heroes deprived atm. at least it airs again in the us on monday right?

Trek_Girl42
January 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM
hey that sword looks nice :D

i feel very heroes deprived atm. at least it airs again in the us on monday right?
Yes! Sooooo excited, it's about time it returned- though we only get six episodes before there's another break. :mckay:

tace
January 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Last night's episode...

Hiro was adorkable. I loved his "Look out!" to the little dinosaur about to get gobbled up. And "FLYING MAN!" plus the look on Nathan's face had me in stitches.

Trek_Girl42
January 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Last night's episode...

Hiro was adorkable. I loved his "Look out!" to the little dinosaur about to get gobbled up. And "FLYING MAN!" plus the look on Nathan's face had me in stitches.
That scene was awsome!

Also loved when
The sword turned out to be a fake. :P

Doze
January 24th, 2007, 05:57 AM
That scene was awsome!
Also loved when
The sword turned out to be a fake. :PI think that happened because he: was trying to steal it and not get it in a legal way.

tace
January 25th, 2007, 04:49 AM
I think that happened because he: was trying to steal it and not get it in a legal way.

Or maybe it's bait?

Doze
January 25th, 2007, 06:28 AM
Or maybe it's bait?
Oooooow, like that idea. But they both could be true.

2ndgenerationalteran
January 29th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Hiro's dad is a part of the yakuza, wow i never expected that coming.

Trek_Girl42
January 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hiro's dad is a part of the yakuza, wow i never expected that coming.
What's the "yakuza"?

Loved that "GULP!" at the end from Hiro. :D Poor guy, must be some tough father. :)

2ndgenerationalteran
January 29th, 2007, 11:14 PM
yakuza is the japanese equivalent to the mafia, the major organized crime in japan. literal translation i think is gang or gangster.

Trek_Girl42
January 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM
yakuza is the japanese equivalent to the mafia, the major organized crime in japan. literal translation i think is gang or gangster.
Hmmmm.....makes sense. :P

Doze
January 30th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Where George Takei has never gone before
Link: http://www.theolympian.com/105/story/62848.html

Doze
April 24th, 2007, 05:06 AM
'Hero' went from techie to actor Oka's role is audience favorite
Link: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/04/23/DDGV2PC9BG1.DTL&feed=rss.news

"The (scene) I really like is when Obi Wan and Jango Fett are chasing through the asteroid field in 'Episode II,' " Oka says. "They came to me and said, 'We need to destroy this huge asteroid into millions of pieces and don't have the software to do it. Can you help us?' I said, 'Yeah.' "

Exiled Master
August 25th, 2008, 05:12 PM
I'm starting to see Hiro as the Cable figure of the series. Between the time travel and future versions, it seems to fit. Now he needs to become much more powerful. It's not enough to simply jump around: he needs to do body double stuff. Jump back in time in a fight and double or triple team opponents.
I really want to know if he can localize time stops. Like a moving time-stop that acts as a shield. You can break through a force field if it isn't there.

hamatau'ri
October 2nd, 2008, 11:33 AM
OK, firstly, yay Season 3! Can I just say, that I love Hiro, and the Hiro/Andi pal thing is just gold! That scene in the Season 3 pilot was sooo funny! So I've decided to start the Hiro Nakamura Appreciation Thread!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1c/Hiro_nakamura.jpg

TraK
October 6th, 2008, 12:28 AM
"Nemesis"

flameling
October 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hurray! Hiro is just plain awesome.

puddlejumper747
October 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM
OK, firstly, yay Season 3! Can I just say, that I love Hiro, and the Hiro/Andi pal thing is just gold!
And then Episode 5 rolled around... :rolleyes:

Phenix
October 15th, 2008, 05:07 PM
And then Episode 5 rolled around... :rolleyes:

lol that is what I was thinking too.

Gate-builder
October 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM
When he described himself and Ando as "badasses" I just cracked up :D Hiro is the man!

Exiled Master
November 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I want Hiro to be Cable with an accent or a ponytail. If you can bend time and space around you, you should be able to apply it more precisely. Like traveling briefly back in time to double team a foe like Daphne. Or creating fields of accelerated or decelerated time.

Devid
November 10th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Heroes Season 3 Bad Blood is an interesting Season...I love to watch this Season....

The Prophet
November 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM
briefly back in time to double team a foe like Daphne.

He he he.

:P

eri-chan
November 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
hey there we already have a hiro thread :D ;)

yatta! the hiro nakamura/masi oka appreciation thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=38074)

maybe we should merge the threads?

hamatau'ri
February 16th, 2009, 06:57 AM
hey there we already have a hiro thread :D ;)

yatta! the hiro nakamura/masi oka appreciation thread (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=38074)

maybe we should merge the threads?

Yes, i do, but I think its a bit too late for that now ;)