PDA

View Full Version : Theory Concerning Sylar's Powers (Spoilers)

Kirath
November 28th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Afer watch six months ago I got a new theory about Sylars "power" and the murders.

After watching the his meeting with Chandra in which he instinctively know his watch is broken and how fix I have a theory about how his power, not the powers he steals work.

This is Forge, an recurring character from the X-men family of comics. http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/spotlight/forge00.jpg

http://www.mutanthigh.com/forge.html

Forge's mutant ability allows him to understand any technology he comes in contact with and design nearly anything he can iamgine. Essentially he's super Red Green. Sylar's base power may work this way. the difference is his abilities don't end at the mechanical, it also works with people. when he comes in contact with another Hero, by examining their brain tissue he is able the able to alter his own brain, similar to the way you or I might upgrade our computer. Maybe he can do it intuitively or in our future there is a very gruesome scene in which cut opens his skull and graft part of their brain into his.

just my crazy theory. what do you think?

yaaayoubetcha
November 28th, 2006, 05:05 AM
I tend to agree.

At first I also thought he was just a leech but after seeing that he is a tinker and likes to get to the gears, it makes sense that he's opening brains not to steal a power but just see how that person's brain is wired.

Will be interesting to find out his motivation for picking his victims. Is he just going after people that haven't embraced their powers? He did say that the TK was 'broken' for not wanting to use his powers.

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I have a thought on that.

Sylar spoke about Evolutionary Imperative. It sounds like he's compelled to do things... well, we know he kills Charlie, yet leaves Hiro alone. He also mentions that Brian Davis is broken... not sure if that's his crazy talk or if he can sense something about Brian.

My hypothesis is that he can sense when evolved humans are on the verge of dying, an he's compelled to kill them and take their powers. Charlie had a brain clot.... possibly Brian has a heart condition sicne he's rather obese... so it could be that he's compelled to preserve the powers of those whom are dying.

In the case of Claire Bennett, we also see that Sylar has a lust for being special. Claire could be a target just because she is special (super-healing is pretty durn special). So Claire could be a target of opportunity rather than necessity.

But yeah, he seems to be able to take other people's powers and enhance them in his own body. Brian was barely able to move the glass... Sylar can fling the glass across the room...

silence
November 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
After 1x09 everyone thought that his main ability was telekinesis, but now we saw how he got it... it will interesting to find out how is he able to keep powers he takes...

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Well, if he's modifying his own brain structure, it would be a permenant change. :)

until he maxes out his ability to augment.

Xanderic
November 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Question is: Can he take on more than one power? Maybe there's an "anomaly" in the same spot in everyone's brain which gives them their power. Can he mutate the anomaly to adjust to new powers?

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Good question. I'm guessing that he can, and that it's like a jagsaw puzzle in his head. :D

Xanderic
November 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Good question. I'm guessing that he can, and that it's like a jagsaw puzzle in his head. :D
But every piece in a puzzle fits together perfectly. No piece is mutated to fit.

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 12:56 PM
His brain's like Voltron! Together they form... something.

Xanderic
November 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
His brain's like Voltron! Together they form... something.

You could have just said "shape shifting" T_T... i had to look up "Voltron" on google lol..

And I guess that can be one theory but shape-shifting.. the general shape changes... brain shape doesn't really change.. the insides can though.

Trek_Girl42
November 28th, 2006, 07:40 PM
Liking the theory- it makes sense! Especially agreed with the watch thing, one has to wonder, that if Syler likes building things, whether he'd go after say....Micah, if he knew his power....sounds like just the kind of thing that would attract Syler.....

"Super Red Green" Lmao.....that alone deserves some green. haha

Xanderic
November 28th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Liking the theory- it makes sense! Especially agreed with the watch thing, one has to wonder, that if Syler likes building things, whether he'd go after say....Micah, if he knew his power....sounds like just the kind of thing that would attract Syler.....

I like how Micah took apart the laptop when his grandfather said "go break the internet in half" I bet that's how he found out about his power. I'm suprised at how good he's keeping his power to himself.

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Well heck, I tear the internet apart every day. YOU KIDS ARE PROOF OF THIS!

Xanderic
November 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Well heck, I tear the internet apart every day. YOU KIDS ARE PROOF OF THIS!

didn't Sylar kill you yet?

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 08:35 PM
I sent him running away.

You see, among my other amazing powers, I have the power to thin out eyebrows.

Xanderic
November 28th, 2006, 08:51 PM
I sent him running away.

you can't refuse the three musketeers... Eden, Sylar, and The Haitian. You're a dead man. The 3 will come get you together.

eri-chan
November 29th, 2006, 06:26 AM
I sent him running away.

LOL good call XD

that theory is pretty much along the lines of what i thought. but for some reason, i couldnt help but think initially that he ate the brains or something and got their powers that way.

anyway i thought he was following the list. he wants all the powers.

IcyNeko
November 29th, 2006, 06:10 PM
The three musketeers had a fourth. D'Artagnion.

Xanderic
November 29th, 2006, 06:34 PM
The three musketeers had a fourth. D'Artagnion.

I believe the correct spelling is D'Artagnan. And Claire's father can be D'Artagnan.

lostinspace
November 29th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Well, if he's modifying his own brain structure, it would be a permenant change. :) ... until he maxes out his ability to augment.
I think you got it right IcyNeko and Kirath on the Forge analogy (though I think Micah's more like a good Forge). Check out the Sylar-HRG "chat" in Ep 11's sneak preview from Access Hollywood (http://video.accesshollywood.com/player/?id=47806). Some stuff gets confirmed about what Sylar does.

Korean_Turtle87
November 29th, 2006, 11:08 PM
very interesting theory. I like it. I always thought that Syler ate the brains of his victims to take their powers

the fifth man
November 29th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I think you got it right IcyNeko and Kirath on the Forge analogy (though I think Micah's more like a good Forge). Check out the Sylar-HRG "chat" in Ep 11's sneak preview from Access Hollywood (http://video.accesshollywood.com/player/?id=47806). Some stuff gets confirmed about what Sylar does.

What a cool little preview of the upcoming episode. It seems this show is just going to get better and better.:)

the fifth man
November 29th, 2006, 11:21 PM
very interesting theory. I like it. I always thought that Syler ate the brains of his victims to take their powers

So did I at first. But after seeing him in the last episode, things became a little more clear to me. He doesn't quite seem like the brain-eating type.

lostinspace
November 30th, 2006, 12:28 AM
So did I at first. But after seeing him in the last episode, things became a little more clear to me. He doesn't quite seem like the brain-eating type.
Totally. A brain-eating Clark Kent lookalike? Eeew. I actually think Papa Suresh also did Gabriel wrong - by dismissing him after he'd (unintentionally) misled him. Of course after Gabriel became Sylar, he became more power-hungry and tipped his insecurity over the edge. Since Sylar now stalks all the heroes... will he only stop "fixing" himself when he has every single power?

eri-chan
November 30th, 2006, 12:41 AM
i think a lot of people thought that he ate brains (i did too initially) because of the first few words you hear him speak. something like "the hunger, its too much." that plus taking brains i guess brought us to that conclusion.

chandra knew that the boy was a bit of a psycho so he tried to mislead sylar. who thinks chandra knew what sylars actual powers were?

i dont think sylar thinks he's broken. i think its more of a drive of him wanting to be "special" and "somebody" since he's always felt that way.

and thanks for the link. am trying to watch it now :)

The Ori
November 30th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Afer watch six months ago I got a new theory about Sylars "power" and the murders.

After watching the his meeting with Chandra in which he instinctively know his watch is broken and how fix I have a theory about how his power, not the powers he steals work.

This is Forge, an recurring character from the X-men family of comics. http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/spotlight/forge00.jpg

http://www.mutanthigh.com/forge.html

Forge's mutant ability allows him to understand any technology he comes in contact with and design nearly anything he can iamgine. Essentially he's super Red Green. Sylar's base power may work this way. the difference is his abilities don't end at the mechanical, it also works with people. when he comes in contact with another Hero, by examining their brain tissue he is able the able to alter his own brain, similar to the way you or I might upgrade our computer. Maybe he can do it intuitively or in our future there is a very gruesome scene in which cut opens his skull and graft part of their brain into his.

just my crazy theory. what do you think?

I agree with you!

I was thinking that after he examines the brain tissue he tries to activate that part of his brain!! Oh I love Heroes!!

the fifth man
November 30th, 2006, 12:12 PM
Totally. A brain-eating Clark Kent lookalike? Eeew. I actually think Papa Suresh also did Gabriel wrong - by dismissing him after he'd (unintentionally) misled him. Of course after Gabriel became Sylar, he became more power-hungry and tipped his insecurity over the edge. Since Sylar now stalks all the heroes... will he only stop "fixing" himself when he has every single power?

I don't think he considers it "fixing" himself either. He just wants to be the most special one. And I don't think he'll stop until he is the only one left, or until he can't hold any more power.

Iguana775
November 30th, 2006, 12:38 PM
I thought that he had some ability to absorb powers. Guess this confirms it. :)

Astrofighter
November 30th, 2006, 01:12 PM
he didnt kill peter because he doesnt need his power, why would he even want it really, when he can just steal someones actual power and keep it

if you watch the preview he says he still want to kill claire to take her power to better himself, hes not talking about fixing people anymore, just makeing himself more powerful

The Ori
November 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I don't think he considers it "fixing" himself either. He just wants to be the most special one. And I don't think he'll stop until he is the only one left, or until he can't hold any more power.

Exactly right, you've hit it on the spot!!

Xanderic
November 30th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Now that he's killed Charlie and taken her power of remembrance, he'll remember every face and name......

jds1982
December 1st, 2006, 02:09 PM

There can be only one.

lostinspace
December 3rd, 2006, 05:40 AM
If you haven't seen this rare interview of Zach Quinto who plays Gabriel Sylar, check it out - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06337/742543-237.stm

Really like what I read about the actor and Sylar's potential. Some hints on what happens while Sylar's in captivity although the question about what he does with the brains is still left hanging....

Xanderic
December 3rd, 2006, 08:44 PM
If you haven't seen this rare interview of Zach Quinto who plays Gabriel Sylar, check it out - http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06337/742543-237.stm

Really like what I read about the actor and Sylar's potential. Some hints on what happens while Sylar's in captivity although the question about what he does with the brains is still left hanging....

lol i don't think the writers themselves know what to make Sylar do with the brains.

Astrofighter
December 4th, 2006, 09:07 AM
well i mean i think there was good forshadowing with his work with the watches

he opens them up to look at how they work and then makes changes as needed in his case he is able to change himself

i wonder what power he uses to rip peoples heads open, its not exactly tk...thats more pushing and pulling objects

creed462
December 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM

I know, I can just see the ducktape holding his mind togather.

Xanderic
December 4th, 2006, 09:32 AM
well i mean i think there was good forshadowing with his work with the watches

he opens them up to look at how they work and then makes changes as needed in his case he is able to change himself

i wonder what power he uses to rip peoples heads open, its not exactly tk...thats more pushing and pulling objects

his work with the watches seems like Micah and his power. Micah took apart the laptop, remember?

IcyNeko
December 4th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah, but Micah doesn't have to do it anymore. He just puts his hand on them and he can fix them.

Does this mean that MIcah can fix our dead heroes?

eri-chan
December 4th, 2006, 03:19 PM
i think atm micha's powers are only to do with mechanical things.

Xanderic
December 4th, 2006, 03:32 PM
i think atm micha's powers are only to do with mechanical things.

Micah's a technopath. He can fix anything electronic I think.

eri-chan
December 4th, 2006, 03:35 PM
same thing. i kinda thought more along the lines of machinery which is everything electrical and things that dont run off electricity.

Xanderic
December 4th, 2006, 03:42 PM
same thing. i kinda thought more along the lines of machinery which is everything electrical and things that dont run off electricity.Well for now, we'll assume it's only electrical since we've only really seen him using his power once with the pay phone. The laptop in Six Months Ago is also electric but he may not have had his power then.