PDA

View Full Version : TV Guide says it's April, not March, for SGs return

prion
November 28th, 2006, 04:50 AM
According to the latest TV Guide (which some fans have already procured), TV Guide said that SG1 and SGA will not come back in March but in April????

Well, talk about 'that sucks'.....

MediaSavant
November 28th, 2006, 06:18 AM
I can't say I'm surprised. With BSG and Dresden Files starting on the 21st and probably running ten episodes, that takes them up to the end of March (the 25th to be exact)

SciFi's trying to be as "year-round" as possible with their original series. So, that means the 'gates would start up no sooner than March 30th. I guess they might wait until April 6th, if TV Guide is correct.

prion
November 28th, 2006, 04:56 PM
I can't say I'm surprised. With BSG and Dresden Files starting on the 21st and probably running ten episodes, that takes them up to the end of March (the 25th to be exact)

SciFi's trying to be as "year-round" as possible with their original series. So, that means the 'gates would start up no sooner than March 30th. I guess they might wait until April 6th, if TV Guide is correct.

Personaly I think SciFi's shooting itself in the foot, but it's its foot.

Anyway, TV Guide (with Gary Sinise on the cover) arrived, and yes, April. Blech. They gave away what some might consider spoilers, so won't post 'em here.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Anybody know the deadline for next years Emmys? I'm just wondering how many episodes from the second half will be considered for Nominations.

Adria
November 28th, 2006, 08:38 PM
there might as well do a direct to dvd for the rest of season 10/3

Pitry
November 29th, 2006, 04:52 AM
there might as well do a direct to dvd for the rest of season 10/3

Nah, they won't, SciFi already paid for these episodes, they can't lose anything more by actually airing them. ;)

prion
November 29th, 2006, 04:57 AM
well, it seems an awful pattern. ABC is doing it with LOST, CBS is yanking Jericho for a few months (but at least they WILL keep audience interest going with online content). SciFi has just dropped the ball with the 'gates with no new online content for the shows. And this is a program supposedly for the 'geek' audience??

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 29th, 2006, 06:42 AM
Hey, there's one advantage in returning in April (or March), at lease we won't be up against Monk or Psych, but that's only if we return on Friday and not Sunday, returning on Sunday night, now that's bad, really bad (Desperate Housewifes and Family Guy, to name a few shows that could be up against Stargate if we return on Sunday night).

Pitry
November 29th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, there's one advantage in returning in April (or March), at lease we won't be up against Monk or Psych, but that's only if we return on Friday and not Sunday, returning on Sunday night, now that's bad, really bad (Desperate Housewifes and Family Guy, to name a few shows that could be up against Stargate if we return on Sunday night).

No, Desperate Housewives are almost halfway through the season, the seaosn should be over by the time SG1 returns.

Nolamom
November 29th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Angry, not surprised.

Atlantis1
November 29th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Just curious, is any of this being reported on the Scifi channel site? My internet speed is so slow it is hard to surf their site.

DEM
November 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM
No, Desperate Housewives are almost halfway through the season, the seaosn should be over by the time SG1 returns.That seems unlikely. May sweeps are a big deal; OTA networks don't end their regular season shows before May.

Pitry
November 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM
That seems unlikely. May sweeps are a big deal; OTA networks don't end their regular season shows before May.

My bad, you're right. They seem to have taken a big break in March in the two previous years - I didn't watch it as it aired so I missed that part, I guess.

...cheats ;)

Well it's a good question what SciFi will do then. SG1's demographic is already closer to Desperate Housewives than BSG, for example, isn't it...?

MediaSavant
November 29th, 2006, 01:41 PM
That seems unlikely. May sweeps are a big deal; OTA networks don't end their regular season shows before May.

Traditionally, many of them put their shows on reruns or hiatus in April to spread out their new episodes so that they can have May finales. But, this trend is changing. Many arc-driven shows aren't going into reruns at all and get replaced by other new shows. An example is how "Lost" is now on hiatus and replaced by "Daybreak".

Once upon a time, the cable networks could design their schedules to the rerun patterns of the major networks, but the major networks don't really have those patterns anymore. So, cable networks are changing too and becoming more "year-round" rather than have bursts.

As time goes on, the "sweeps" concept is going away, too. It was always designed around when the diaries were distributed to the local markets for local market ratings. But, now the top markets have year-round measurement with peoplemeters and no diaries. It makes all the months equal in importance. We've already started to see sweeps decline in importance this November. There were fewer sweeps stunts than ever.

prion
November 29th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Just curious, is any of this being reported on the Scifi channel site? My internet speed is so slow it is hard to surf their site.

Snort, heh, that was a good laugh. In other words, no. Skiffy is notoriously slow on releasing news on its own channel for some reason. Maybe they'll have it up by Christmas ;)

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2006, 06:50 AM
Looking back at TV Guide, odd say we'll be teamed up with Painkiller Jane, it's slated for an April premiere.

prion
November 30th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Looking back at TV Guide, odd say we'll be teamed up with Painkiller Jane, it's slated for an April premiere.

I saw the movie for PJ - I have no interest in watching the series at all.

Meanwhile, this six-month no-see-the-show stuff is spreading like poison ivy.

LOST
JERICHO

are two network series pulling the same stunt; granted, for a lesser amount of time, but at least with the networks, t hey're keeping the show's interest alive on their own sites. Can't say that SciFi is doing squat for that with the gates.

Farscapefan
November 30th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Meanwhile, this six-month no-see-the-show stuff is spreading like poison ivy.

LOST
JERICHO

are two network series pulling the same stunt; granted, for a lesser amount of time, but at least with the networks, t hey're keeping the show's interest alive on their own sites. Can't say that SciFi is doing squat for that with the gates.

MGM is doing this with interesting contests at their official Stargate SG-1 website - www.stargatesg1.com

g8torgurl
November 30th, 2006, 12:35 PM
All the good TV shows are slowly falling...
The stations want to have their "good" shows at times for channel ratings or whatever... Personally, the entire idea is stupid. Wait too long, and people lose interest. By the time the shows are back, people will be lost and confused...

I can't believe it's not returning until April! Scifi has gone to the dark side... :sholva: traitors...

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
November 30th, 2006, 01:06 PM
I actually plan to watch it, I never saw the movie, if I think it's crap then I'll stop watching.

MediaSavant
November 30th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I actually plan to watch it, I never saw the movie, if I think it's crap then I'll stop watching.

The movie was a failed pilot. It didn't get the greenlight to be a series, so it aired as a movie. Apparently, they made an entirely new pilot and like it much better. That's why it is now a series. Different cast from the previous failed pilot.
In related news to the discussion of "year-round" programming, I saw this story on mediaweek.com's Programming Insider column:

Sci Fi Also Scores in November:
Sci Fi Channel finished November 2006 with its best performance for the month ever among adults 18-34, men 18-34 and men 18-49, with a median age of 44.1. Comparably, that was three years younger than the median age last November.

DEM
November 30th, 2006, 01:26 PM
{re: Painkiller Jane} Different cast from the previous failed pilot.Well that's a relief. I guess I'll check it out then.

LaCroix
November 30th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Are we surprised at this.;)

DEM
November 30th, 2006, 01:43 PM
meep? Surprised at which, LaCroix? That I'm going to give Painkiller Jane a shot? Did you see that movie? :yuanime01:

prion
November 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
The movie was a failed pilot. It didn't get the greenlight to be a series, so it aired as a movie. Apparently, they made an entirely new pilot and like it much better. That's why it is now a series. Different cast from the previous failed pilot.

So there's the hint of a hope. The premise wasn't too exciting, but eh, if there's nothing against it and I'm home with nothing else going on...

MGM is doing this with interesting contests at their official Stargate SG-1 website - www.stargatesg1.com

Haven't been there in a while. You need to sign up to participate?

the fifth man
November 30th, 2006, 01:50 PM
All the good TV shows are slowly falling...
The stations want to have their "good" shows at times for channel ratings or whatever... Personally, the entire idea is stupid. Wait too long, and people lose interest. By the time the shows are back, people will be lost and confused...

I can't believe it's not returning until April! Scifi has gone to the dark side... :sholva: traitors...

"Gone to the dark side..."? Trust me, they've been there for awhile already. What a bunch of idiots. This really upsets me.:mad:

Farscapefan
November 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Haven't been there in a while. You need to sign up to participate?

Yup. The recent contests were creating 3 official profiles: for Ha'Tak, Jacob/Selmac and the Replicators. The new contests for more official profiles should be announced very soon I think.

LaCroix
November 30th, 2006, 04:04 PM
meep? Surprised at which, LaCroix? That I'm going to give Painkiller Jane a shot? Did you see that movie? :yuanime01:

No. I gave Painkiller Jane about one minute worth of screen time when I saw it.;) I'm talking about them pushing back Sg-1 one more month.:rolleyes:

the fifth man
December 1st, 2006, 08:48 PM
I still can hardly believe this. I didn't think I could get more upset with that stupid channel, but they proved me wrong.