PDA

View Full Version : Rate the series

Wyrminarrd
November 27th, 2006, 11:07 PM
So heroes has managed to get itīs own forum, cool :)

How is everybody liking the series so far? On the scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest, I would rate this series a nine.

Itīs main strength is the cast and characters. Hiro is the obvious break out success of the series and could easily carry the whole thing by himself:)

Itīs biggest weaknes would be the number of characters it has. Each episode can usually only show some of the heroes and then often for only a few minutes. This leads to pacing being a little slow at times.

silence
November 28th, 2006, 12:47 AM

i'll wait few more eps till i give it 10 :)
really great show.

travis
November 28th, 2006, 01:19 AM
so far 9

Easter Lily
November 28th, 2006, 02:13 AM
8.5 or 9
I like almost everything about it and so far it's progressing at a good pace. There are obviously a couple of things I don't care for but the show as a whole is terrific.

full.infinity
November 28th, 2006, 02:55 AM
It would get the 10 if its opening title sequence had a theme song and wasn't just "Heroes. Made by Tim Kring." :P

lostinspace
November 28th, 2006, 03:44 AM
It's been averaging a soild 9 for me. And I'm a critical viewer too. The TV show I'm most excited to see each week.

PS Can we make this into a poll?

Wyrminarrd
November 28th, 2006, 04:09 AM
It's been averaging a soild 9 for me. And I'm a critical viewer too. The TV show I'm most excited to see each week.

PS Can we make this into a poll?

I would love to make this into a poll. Any idea how thats done on this forum? Do we have to ask the mods to do it?

IcyNeko
November 28th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I think that part of the awesomeness of Heroes is that it's positioned right before Studio60. It's like putting the Gifted and Talented Student in front of the elementary school dropout student

Studio60 needs to be a scifi network show because of how completely craptastic it is, and its current position in the monday night lineup highlights Heroes' awesomeness.

Heroes has helped me forget Battlestar Galactica, and I am glad for that. Though I miss Admiral Adama, it's better to lose him than to be forced to watch Baltar, One-eyed Willy, and the rest of the intergalactic band of military rejects on their busted showboat.

LadyBozi
November 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM
10!

Darren
November 28th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Poll added!

Trek_Girl42
November 28th, 2006, 04:52 PM
9- I've been floored by the quality of this show- I dragged my family into watching the first episode, and it has been a Monday night fixture for all of us ever since. :)

I agree- it needs opening credits, that is the one major issue I have with it, opening credits are so important to give the show a "mission statement". A show feels slightly empty without them.

Edit: reason for the nine- just cause I want to leave a little room for the show to go up. ;)

lostinspace
November 28th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Poll added!
Thanks Darren! You're a superhero mod today....

Pharaoh Atem
November 28th, 2006, 07:13 PM
to early to give it a valid rating

ToasterOnFire
November 29th, 2006, 09:59 AM
to early to give it a valid rating
I tend to agree - I'll wait until I've seen all of season one before rating it. However, the eps I've seen so far (up to 6) have been all-around solid and I have little to nothing to nitpick. How often does that happen?! :D

Descent
November 29th, 2006, 11:21 AM
From what I've seen so far, I give it an 8.

Scoobing
November 29th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Saw the pilot yesterday and then watched all episodes straight after bar two which I watched today. So that's how I know I like the show. I did the same with BSG when I bought the DVD sets.

So why do I like it?

It's hard to say, it's sci-fi, of which I am a fan heh. It has a arc storyline in which bits are revealed each episode, which I like, (big fan of DS9 war-arc). I like the diversity of the characters. I also like the LOST-like way in which the characters start of as random individuals but then they all start to converge and connect.

Plus a show which appeals to everyones secret desire to be special and different is always going to do fairly well, at least at the start. Thankfully, from what I have seen so far, it's got the goods to hook me in for the rest of the season.

Scoob.

lostinspace
November 29th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Saw the pilot yesterday and then watched all episodes straight after bar two which I watched today. So that's how I know I like the show. I did the same with BSG when I bought the DVD sets.
Heh, you're definitely not the only one scoob! Toasteronfire and I were chatting on LJ the other day and we'd both done the Heroes marathon when we first started watching it. Last time I did that was with BSG S1 and Firefly - dang I miss that show. Ditto what you said - and also that the serialized nature of the show results in each ep ending on a cliffhanger.... -lis

Scoobing
November 29th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Hehe did that with Firefly too. :)

What really got me about Heroes was the somewhat seamless transitions between shows. You could string them all together and they would run as a massive movie.

When one ep came to the end, it was almost instinctive to start the next one. I haven't had that so much through a whole season with stargate, BSG or firefly, yet I really enjoy those shows, they all have arcs, but just something about Heroes makes me want to keep watching. Think its a combination of characters, action, plot, and the general themes and ideas.

Like the show.. :)

Cat_the_Alien
November 29th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Am I the only person who likes the lack of credits? I know who stars on the show, its the same people week after week. Why waste precious minutes with the same credits every week when they can show one short scene with the name, and have more time for the show.

But I'm finding that Heroes is getting too convoluted. Tim Kring has said that he has not solid plans for what direction Heroes is heading in, that he's just sort of writing week by week. That makes it really easy to write himself into a corner. It's already starting to feel a little directionless, IMO.

However, I do continue to watch it, and I hope that things starting being resolved soon. 10 episodes in, and I'm still confused?

Scoobing
November 29th, 2006, 04:57 PM
I also like the lack of credits, just like LOST, and Torchwood, here in the UK if you have seen that. Leaves more time for the show like you say, and plus, it looks sort of less cheesy in a way, It's just like "heres the show's name, now lets get on with it"

I hear what you are saying about the show's direction. This far in it does seem a little directionless. Perhaps the second half of the season will see everyone coming together more and more figuring out of the questions posed in the first half.

I'm sure I read that Tim Krieg had a 5-season plan for the show in terms of general direction. Yeah I found it just now on Wiki (I know, its Wiki, but it's cited)

"Even with small story arcs that move the story forward, Kring said he mapped out where he intends the show to go for the next five seasons"

^ NBC Universal Heroes Live Blog. How many seasons/scripts are plotted out? (2006-09-25). Retrieved on 2006-10-31.

So I'm hopeful it will remain as enjoyable. :)

travis
November 29th, 2006, 05:21 PM
It would get the 10 if its opening title sequence had a theme song and wasn't just "Heroes. Made by Tim Kring." :P

Come to think of it I like the narrating intro, just some thing different.
I think into can be over ratted at times plus the shorter it is the quicker you get into the show and hopfully more screen time for the show, even though it only 30sec - 1min.

The Ori
November 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yeh I'm so happy that Heroes have got their own forum!!

The Ori
November 29th, 2006, 05:53 PM
I like the the intro its short quick and to the point!!

DEM
November 29th, 2006, 08:44 PM
RATE THE SERIES

so far, I give it an 8. That's very high on my scale; I rate conservatively. The only show I can think of that I'd rate higher is Medium (9).

GobiasSumCoffee
November 29th, 2006, 09:27 PM
8. If they killed Nikki/Jessica it will shoot up to 20

the fifth man
November 29th, 2006, 10:30 PM
So far, I really enjoy this show. I'd probably have to give it a solid 8.