X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on EMP device in Childhood's End

3 facts:

1) The device is powered by a ZPM
    2) The device is specifically designed for the electro-magnetic field of M7G-677
    3) Whoever created the device is very likely stongly linked to the sucide pact as a means of popualtion control

Who created the device: the ancients or the human civilization on that world, whom found a ZPM and decided to use it as a long-term power source?

As it's powered by a ZPM, and it does seem to have a sort of Torment of Tantalus (SG1 season 1) look to it, i'd say an Ancient created it.

However, I don't believe that an Ancient would have been involved in the suicide pact, as an Ancient could probably come up with a better idea, like resticting the amount of children can have. I see getting everyone to kill themselves more of a human thing rather than an Ancient thing.

It's possible a group of humans found the device, and activated it. It is weird that an Ancient would create a device that would make even their own technology useless so someone may have found the device and found another use for it, like deactivating all technology.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
      As it's powered by a ZPM, and it does seem to have a sort of Torment of Tantalus (SG1 season 1) look to it, i'd say an Ancient created it.

However, I don't believe that an Ancient would have been involved in the suicide pact, as an Ancient could probably come up with a better idea, like resticting the amount of children can have. I see getting everyone to kill themselves more of a human thing rather than an Ancient thing.

It's possible a group of humans found the device, and activated it. It is weird that an Ancient would create a device that would make even their own technology useless so someone may have found the device and found another use for it, like deactivating all technology.
      If the Ancients built it they may have had a means of shielding their tech from the emp field.
      Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath View Post
        If the Ancients built it they may have had a means of shielding their tech from the emp field.
        I thought about that, but the Puddle Jumper lost power.

That's why I said someone may have found another use for it, because I can't see the Ancients, who are so heavily dependant on their technology creating something that would screw them over as badly if they planned on it affecting others.

If someone was messing with it, they have caused it to accidentally deactivate all technology, or they messed with it and didn't properly configure it to allow Ancient technology to work. Either way, I say an Ancient created it, but isn't responsible for the suicide pact, which in turn would also make them not responsible for the device deactivating all technolgy.

One seems to have lead to the other, so it's more than likely a human from that work, perhaps a scientist, made the device turn off all technology and then started the pact.

sigpic

Comment

I've always wondered if it was the planet's em field that is by itself is unique, allowing the creation of the device possible or if the device is designed only for specifically that planet's em field.

IF it is the second possibility, no way it could be the ancients who build the device or there would have been mass-production for several worlds. If it is the first, both the ancients or the original human civilisation have an equally good chance of creating it. If it were humans, they might have somehow gotten their hands on a ZPM and after figuring it out for a power source, decided to plug it in.

Comment

We've already seen before how advanced technology can be disabled. The Asgard used it in their labyrinth which lead Goa'uld to Thor's hammer, and like this episode, our weapons worked fine. along Asgard technology worked in the Labyrinth, so the Ancients should have been smart enough to create something that wouldn't disable their own stuff. Even the Tollan created similar devices that even disabled our weapons but not their own

I don't believe the EM field was really needed because of what we've previous seen in SG1.

McKay said the device was built to harness the planets unique EM field, but he never went into explaining what the EM field actually did to the device. We know it wasn't power, from previous experience we know that it wasn't to make the device work, so it's possible the EM field was just a signature for the device to pick up. That way if someone stole the device (afterall, who wouldn't want it considering it offers protection from the Wraith) they'd be out of luck because the EM field of that plent would be different and the device would stop working.

sigpic

Comment

I think I know why it affected the Puddlejumper. In Hot Zone, the power just flickered when the Nq. reactor went critical. (at least, that's what I remember) But this device made the jumper fall out of the sky. So this thing projects an electromagnetic bubble, not a pulse. Think of it like a computer: it won't run if you keep pressing the restart button.
              Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering-Yoda
              The more bizzare a thing, the less mysterious it proves to be-Sherlock Holmes
              I reject your reality and substitute my own-Adam Savage
              A person is smart. People are stupid, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it-Agent Kay
              That is the exploration that awaits you�not mapping stars and studying nebulae, but charting the unknown possibilities of existence-Q
              Church: I learned a very valuable lesson in my travels, Tucker. No matter how bad things might seem...
              Caboose: They could be worse?
              Church: Nope, no matter how bad they seem, they can't be any better, and they can't be any worse, because that's the way things f***ing are, and you better get used to it Nancy. Quit-yer-b****ing.

If you smoke, you choke. If you choke, you're dead. 'Nuff said.

Comment

Working...
              X