PDA

View Full Version : Do hive ships need life support?

Hooperman1990
November 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Yes of course the wraiths on the hive ships need life support to survive (whether we want them to have it or not is irrelevant). What i mean is, if a hive ship is part organic, does it require heat or oxygen from a life support unit to function in space?

2ndgenerationalteran
November 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
i would think so, isnt that where they are beaming the gas to?

Hooperman1990
November 24th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Beaming gas? When, where, how? (ive not seen any of Atlantis s2 because of the evil sky one!)

WraithLover
November 24th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Yes of course the wraiths on the hive ships need life support to survive (whether we want them to have it or not is irrelevant). What i mean is, if a hive ship is part organic, does it require heat or oxygen from a life support unit to function in space?
Hmmm It might but who knows it could need carbon dioxide to be in space:rolleyes:

wise one
November 24th, 2006, 11:41 AM
does the opening or big fat whole where the darts come through have some sort of forcefield to keep the pressure in?

cos if they aint then how come nuthin gets sucked into space?

WraithLover
November 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM
does the opening or big fat whole where the darts come through have some sort of forcefield to keep the pressure in?

cos if they aint then how come nuthin gets sucked into space?
Hmmm it must have some sort of forcefield!!!:eek:

Buba uognarf
November 24th, 2006, 12:30 PM

No the ship doesn't need life support, just because something is organic doesn't mean it's alive e.g. are your floor boards alive?

i would think so, isnt that where they are beaming the gas to?

that was a life support area of some sort (i believe for sorting out carbon dioxide for the rest of the ship) and it was for the crew not the ship itself...

just because something is organice doesn't mean it's alive!

Zepro
November 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Actually, considering that Hiveships can repair themselves over time somewhat indicates that they are at least, in part, living entities.

Buba uognarf
November 24th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Actually, considering that Hiveships can repair themselves over time somewhat indicates that they are at least, in part, living entities.

no it doesn't, to be alive it needs to possess 5 qualities;
-movement
-excretion
-Eating
-reproduction
-? (i can never get the last one lol)

the hives don't exibite all these qualities, just because something can heal itself doesn't make it alive...it could be programmed to repair damage...

ACharmedAsgard
November 24th, 2006, 01:35 PM
The hangers of a hive ship do have forcefields in front of them, just like the Deadalus does.

Zepro
November 24th, 2006, 01:40 PM
no it doesn't, to be alive it needs to possess 5 qualities;
-movement
-excretion
-Eating
-reproduction

the hives don't exibite all these qualities, just because something can heal itself doesn't make it alive...it could be programmed to repair damage...

You know what I'd LOVE to see? A giant blob of goo suddenly being expelled from the backside of a hiveship. *giggles*

Or a hiveship screaming, then a mini-hiveship pops out from somewhere ><"

SmallTimePerson
November 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
-movement
-excretion
-Eating
-reproduction

does it have to be able to die to be alive?
or is that the if its dead it has to be alive once.

Should have paid more attention in yr 8 bio

ur uncle urgo
November 25th, 2006, 01:57 PM
did it have something to do with breathing didnt it it had to breath i think.

Hooperman1990
November 25th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Oh this is that mrs nerg thing isnt it. Lets think

Movement - It moves, though i dont know if it counts
Respiration - Dont know bout that
Sensitivity - It tends to respond to a good nuking
Nutrition - Doesnt need feeding, does it?
Excretion - Hehehe it would be amusing
Reproduction - Doubt it, although if its not a single entity then it does when it repairs
Growth - If it is a single entity, it grows back when damaged

It does fit SOME of the criteria

Buba uognarf
November 25th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Oh this is that mrs nerg thing isnt it. Lets think

Movement - It moves, though i dont know if it counts
Respiration - Dont know bout that
Sensitivity - It tends to respond to a good nuking
Nutrition - Doesnt need feeding, does it?
Excretion - Hehehe it would be amusing
Reproduction - Doubt it, although if its not a single entity then it does when it repairs
Growth - If it is a single entity, it grows back when damaged

It does fit SOME of the criteria

it moves through use of thrusters and engines

It doesn't respire, how can it in space?

A house would respond to a good nuking, doesn't make it alive

it doesn't feed

It doesn't reproduce

Self repairing - could be seen as growth

The wraith ships aren't completely organic they seem to have a metalic chasis with organic self repairing components molded on...they are not alive

ur uncle urgo
November 25th, 2006, 03:24 PM
its respondes to stimuli u guess sense it dies when it goes through hyperspace and maybe it breaths the same stuff that ship did in star trek the next generation tin man.

Ouroboros
November 25th, 2006, 04:41 PM
I think a hiveship is more of a colony of organic and inorganic machines working together as opposed to a single living thing. I don't think it requires life support to stay alive because I don't think it is alive.

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 27th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Hive Ships don't need life support to survive, just cuz it's organic doesn't mean it's alive.