FF Research Question: G'ould Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FF Research Question: G'ould Technology

We know that the G'ould steal their technology from other races. For instance the G'ould adopted gate travel that the Ancients created.

Does anyone remember if we have ran across the race of aliens or remains of the race of aliens responsible for some of the core technologies of the G'ould? Such as maybe early variants of the G'ould Mothership, Staff Weapons, or Personal Sheild Generators.

Also if anyone does remember the episodes that would be greatly helpful thought not essential to this discussion.

Thanks,

Croatoan

Not as I recall. The only hard example that we have been offered is their use of the Ancient's Stargate network.

Comment

It's Goa'uld

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
        It's Goa'uld
        Wrong. In fact in several instances across all season of stargate SG1 we are told that the G'ould have stolen their technology from other races because of their parasitic nature. This leads us to believe that nothing they possess technologically was originally theirs. True some technology could be developed from the knowledge they learned from other older technologies however, the orgins of all of this technology or the basis rather is ultimatly stolen from another advanced culture at some point.

Croatoan.

I appreciate the responses and would appreciate anyone else who can affirm they cant recall any solid evidences or can recall instances which I asked about.

Comment

The race is called Goa'uld, NOT G'ould!

Comment

Personal Shield/Cloak Generators were made by the Goa'uld, so they don't just steal everything.

The Goa'uld maybe a parasitic race but as they inhabit human hosts they gain some of our better qualities like creation.
            "Khattam-Shud," he said slowly, "is the Arch-Enemy
            of all Stories, even of Language itself. He is the Prince of
            Silence and the Foe of Speech. And because everything ends,
            because dreams end, stories end, life ends, at the finish
            of everything we use his name. 'It's finished,' we tell one
            another, 'it's over. Khattam-Shud: The End.'"

-excerpted from Haroun and the Sea of Stories,

Comment

Its not like they're stupid, they probably have some idea how to make soem technology. If the humans can then the goa'uld!

"The Battle to defeat Sin will be hard, prepare yourselves"

Comment

Originally posted by donnie_darko
                Personal Shield/Cloak Generators were made by the Goa'uld, so they don't just steal everything.

The Goa'uld maybe a parasitic race but as they inhabit human hosts they gain some of our better qualities like creation.
                Thanks for the response. Sorry for the spelling problem, I am a horrible speller.

Do you by chance remember the sesson or episode where the cannon states that that technology is of Goa'uld orgin?

I seem to remember several episodes where it discusses they experimented with the technology which I personally choose to inturpret as they were attempting to reverse engineer. To experiment with something you usually have a working model or something of which to experiment on.

Comment

Lets go with Goa'uld made technology:

T.E.R.
                  Drug that made symbiote undetectable
                  Apophis new mothership
                  Personal Shield?
                  Nirrti's Invicibility
                  Sokar's fleet cloak
                  Tel'tak cloak.
                  Baal's gravity manipulation...

Feel free to add more.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                    Lets go with Goa'uld made technology:

T.E.R.
                    Drug that made symbiote undetectable
                    Apophis new mothership
                    Personal Shield?
                    Nirrti's Invicibility
                    Sokar's fleet cloak
                    Tel'tak cloak.
                    Baal's gravity manipulation...

Feel free to add more.
                    I guess i did'nt clerify myself in my original question clearly enough. I do realize that some technologies could be completely created by the goa'uld however a large majoirty of their technology's roots can be traced back to other races technology originally. For instance:

Sokar's fleet cloaking technology was simply an improvment on the technology they used to cloak their cargo ships. Likewise Nirrti's cloaking device is most likely an even smaller scale version of this same technology.

Personal Sheilds technology is most likely based on the same technology that sheilds goa'uld ships.

Apophis' new mothership was massively based on the original goa'uld mothership technology. Except that its sheilds and weapon were upgraded to be stronger and that of its sheer size.

Ill conceed the points of the drug related substances since I pesonally do not consider them to be technological for the terms of the research I am doing.

Obviously when they took the first unas as hosts they didnt spend thousands of years developing technologies, they stole a good chunck of their older obsolete technologies and over the years have improved on them with the vast residual knowledge they possess. I am just trying to figure out which technologies they are may have completely invented, designed, and built out of need.

I could totally see the Ribbon Device being something that the goa'uld concieved, designed, and built. Maybe with older technologies as a basis but I can see it being mostly their own influence. However I have an extremely hard time imagining a goa'uld creating the healing device. After all their philosophy has always been more of a jump to the next host when it suits me thing, and they have had the sarcaphagus which wasnt even their original concept to revive them in the event of the death of the symbiote.

Comment

Originally posted by Croatoan
                      We know that the G'ould steal their technology from other races. For instance the G'ould adopted gate travel that the Ancients created.

Does anyone remember if we have ran across the race of aliens or remains of the race of aliens responsible for some of the core technologies of the G'ould? Such as maybe early variants of the G'ould Mothership, Staff Weapons, or Personal Sheild Generators.

Also if anyone does remember the episodes that would be greatly helpful thought not essential to this discussion.

Thanks,

Croatoan
                      This is an old debate/topic on the forum and has never been adequately resolved. We know, from Daniel's comments, and Jacob's comments, that the Goa'uld have "acquired" and "assimilated" quite a bit Ancient technology. In "First Ones" anda few other episodes, and perhaps speculation, it's likely that once the Goa'uld were able to possess and control teh unas, for the first times in their lives, they were able to walk on land, move about, and manipulate objects.

I figure the goa'uld symbiotes (the snake-like aquatic thingies) had intelligence and some form of civilization under water for quite some time -- perhaps millions of years before they figured out, most likely accidentally, how to possess a unas. My guess is that for that time period, they were able to think about complicated problems and perhaps communicate with one another. Can you imagine being intelligent, with a mind full of advanced thoughts, yet you cannot talk, write, manipulate objects, create technology, move on land, or do anything other than swim, eat, crap, and mate.

THat's why I think they are so evil...all those years of being "trapped" with intelligence yet unable to use it. Once they found the means, boom....they started to rapidly accelerate and created a culture. It was probably quite some time until they figured out how to work the gate on P3X-888, but they did.

I think the Goa'uld ships are of their own design. Like it was said, they are not stupid. Some of the Ancient technology probably led them to explore theories regarding space travel, but they most likely mastered space travel on their own. It doesn't appear that the Ancients left puddlejumpers lying around -- if they had, the Goa'uld would be flying modified Ancient ships, but we know that they don't

If the Goa'uld found a spacefaring race that had ships like Hat'aks and El-kesh, I think Jacob or the Tok'ra or Asgard would have mentioned this to SG1 since that race might be in existence or the planet could provide clues about what happened. I don't recall such an episode, so I think they did this on their own.

I maintain that the Goa'uld used the concept of the gates and created the ring transporters, which are less advanced than Asgard, Wraith, and Aschen transporters. However, many gateworld forum members disagree and say it's been clearly stated that the rings are Ancient tech. I still say, if so, why would the Ancients have inferior tech to the Aschen and Asgard? It doesn't make sense. I think the Goa'uld modified ancient tech and made it into their own unique tech.

A lot of of the tech mentioned in previous posts also supports the fact that the Goa'uld create their own technology when needed. The Goa'uld are not creative like humans; they don't have an open market economy that encourages cooperation, they are separate from their own kind and have systems where they rule as gods unchallenged for the most part. They are not benevolent with the intent of betterment like the Asgard and Ancients, so their tech often goes unchanged unless they need to be creative due to a problem.

We know the Goa'uld have scientists and are able to reverse engineer and study technology. The Tok'ra are extremely advanced and have a great deal of understanding of physics, Quantum mechanics, biology, genetics, and other sciences.

I think we shouldn't underestimate the Goa'uld and say they thieving, technology grabbing parasitical snakes. I mean, they are, but still...they are smart snakes who have used the worlds they traveled to build a powerful, advanced empire that has been in existence for thousands of years. That's not something to sneeze at.

It's a given that some stuff, like the sarcophagus is modified Ancient tech, and some other tech was found or taken from other advanced Milky Way races, but I think for the most part, their tech is their own and quite unique.

Comment

Originally posted by Croatoan

Thanks,

Croatoan
                        Another thing, it begs the question: what about other races? Did the Asgard create or conceive of all of their technology, or was some of it retro engineered from old Ancient technology?

Maybe the Goa'uld are actually more intelligent than the Asgard? Why? Well, the Asgard actually knew and associated with the Ancients, so perhaps the Ancients taught them FTL travel and other technologies, whereas the Goa'uld never knew the Ancients, but had to figure out old technology on their own without guidance from the Ancients who actually built and designed the technology. In a way, it's possible the Asgard had a 24-7 tech support line with the Ancients, whereas the Goa'uld were isolated and alone with only their scientists to figure out how things worked, or they designed them on their own.

The Asgard, Nox, and Furlings are also probably an older race than the Goa'uld with hosts. I say the Goa'uld before hosts are a very Ancient race, probably millions of years old, and they have been intelligent sentient beings for millions of years, but like I said before, they were trapped and isolated in their watery domain, while the Asgard, Nox, and Furlings were mobile land-dwellers who could manipulate their world with tools, etc. Therefore, they progressed faster. I think they all may have been aided by Ancients and their tech too.

Comment

Now some how the tech being credited to the goa´uld might have been stolen from some other race. After all the personal shield MIGHT have been developed by another race that we know nothing off and the same goes for the ships that could reach earth in days and not months or years. That would also explain why Teal´C didn´t know about them, they where discovered and assimilated after he left.

Comment

I assumed they made their stuff with the knowledge they got when they took a host (and took what they found too), other than the ancient devices they found lieing around. I figured their technology didn't have a single root civilization to trace to, but was a large stew of all the different things they learned from various cultures.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478
                              I assumed they made their stuff with the knowledge they got when they took a host (and took what they found too), other than the ancient devices they found lieing around. I figured their technology didn't have a single root civilization to trace to, but was a large stew of all the different things they learned from various cultures.
                              Sorta like the Borg, who just assimilate tech rather than create it.

Comment

Working...
                              X