Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did Shepperd learn to fly F-302's?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did Shepperd learn to fly F-302's?

I just recently watched Stargate Atlantis; ep 202; The Intruder, as opposed to just reading the summary here on Gateworld. Anyway it raised a good questin, where did Shepperd learn to fly F-302's?
    The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
    Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Sheppard is magic, he can fly anything!! lol
    I questioned this but i just assumed that he was trained on 302s when he got back to earth for promotion, thats why they were on the deady coming back to Atlantis.
    knowing his character Shep probably asked for the training.

Comment

Originally posted by carcer View Post
      Sheppard is magic, he can fly anything!! lol
      I questioned this but i just assumed that he was trained on 302s when he got back to earth for promotion, thats why they were on the deady coming back to Atlantis.
      knowing his character Shep probably asked for the training.
      Yeah thats what assumed but I was mainly intrested in how many others asked the question
      The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
      Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Yes, it's not clear where or when Sheppard learned to fly the F-302. Maybe the F-302's controls are so similar to the ones on board regular military aircraft that any trained fighter pilot can do it...
        sigpic

Comment

I think they made a mess out of 'Rising', he was listing all the choppers he'd trained in, Apache, Blackhawk etc etc, but wouldn't that make him an Army pilot?

Comment

As a pilot, he'd know how to fly serveral different types of aircraft. In his list, he also mentioned the Osprey which is a Marine Corp VTOL airplane/helicopter combo.

Like O'Neill, Carter and Mitchell, he was probably already trained in how to fly a fighter plane, so he'd already have the skill to fly it, he'd just lack the experience (just like the ones Mini jack was teaching at the start of season 7). We haven't had a chance to see him in his dress uniform yet so we haven't gotten the chance to see his wings.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate View Post
              I just recently watched Stargate Atlantis; ep 202; The Intruder, as opposed to just reading the summary here on Gateworld. Anyway it raised a good questin, where did Shepperd learn to fly F-302's?
              during a commercial break. yeah, seriously. another mystery the writers figure the fans won't question. while shep is the best with a jumper, I think the F302s have more earth-based technology in them, AND, Shep is a helicopter pilot, NOT a fighter pilot.

The writers may not know the distinction, since they gave him a credential of helicopters used across several of the military branches, not just USAF.

Comment

I heard that originally, SGA did not have a military advisor to check these things with.

Comment

What about the period of time between "Siege Part 3" and "Intruder"? He was on Earth, after all.

Even if the time was short, as everyone has said, he's skilled.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep'sSocks View Post
                    I heard that originally, SGA did not have a military advisor to check these things with.
                    That makes sense.

Comment

SHeppard can fly just about anything. Stupid question but....he's in the airforce.....as a pilot....so uh.....wouldnt he know how to fly most things????

Comment

Uhm no not normally.

You could always just say, the controls are similairy to a regular plane, besides, how hard can it be to fly something

Up down left right forward, not that hard right?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch_Razor View Post
                          Uhm no not normally.

You could always just say, the controls are similairy to a regular plane, besides, how hard can it be to fly something

Up down left right forward, not that hard right?
                          *eyes widen in horror*

It's a LOT more complicated than that. Especially the difference between choppers and jets.

HUGELY different. EVen jets fly differently to each other.

Generally, unless the USAF is a huge anomaly. Upon passing through Elementary Flying Training, a pilot gets streamed to EITHER Fast jet, rotary, or multi engine, the best flying the former, the 'worst' flying multi engine (of course they're hardly BAD pilots).

Shep should not be able to fly them.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I guess nobody read my post, but couldn't he have had some training in the time that he was on Earth between Siege Part 3 and Intruder?

Comment

^^ That's probably it. Either that or he's received training while the Daedalus was stationed in Atlantis. Lots of F-302s there...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X