No announcement yet.

First Strike (320)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling platform gave them enough power to supplement 2 ZPMs so that city can fly and yet noone even thought to use it to boost shields?
    Why not use drilling platform for shields when they submerged?

(i know, TPTB wanted "soft reset")

Dunno ...
    VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

So, now with all the "Fantastic Four" convo, and with only Sheppard's team now being regs, does this mean the title of this show becomes, "Deep Space Atlantis - Shep's Team"? Why call it Stargate-Atlantis when the writers only concentrate on a team that goes off-world (like Stargate - SG1). I kinda like the science POV, and concentrating on our guerrilla team brings only the military side. Seems the science is being pushed to the background now, for more shoot-em-ups and battles. I'd rather see the exploration side, but TPTB never seemed to get a grasp on that. They don't seem to think an episode is interesting without an explosion or gunfight or damsel in distress.

Plus, going by SG1 canon, stargates cannot work in space as they need a point of origin (i.e., stable planet or ship in orbit), therefore, the stargate on Atlantis shouldn't be able to work with them bobbing around in the middle of nowhere - there is no way to establish a solid point of origin. My science may be iffy on this though.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I was wondering the exact same thing, they have made it clear in the past that they need 3 zpm's to fly the city yet they managed it with the drilling platform and a single (almost depleted) zpm

Comment

i think that you would have to assume that the asurans can defend themselves against the energy wave. The ori are able to as seen in counterstrike where adria is unaffected by the disrupter technology becuase of her pendant. i think it would be very foolish to assume that you could go to the planet and wipe out an advanced race with technology they alreeady know about.

Even if thats not true are you saying that the asurans should sue the same technolgy against Atlantis and use the energy weapon to kill living cells so they can have atlantis?

There would be no show

Comment

Which would suggest that platform can give more power then single ZPM, thus letting them enjoy Asuran firework for pretty long time ...
            VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Brilliant finish, i want season 4!!

The stargate only needs to be stationary to be useable, the PoO can be determined by auto update, or a forced update, like hinted at in avenger, by ba'al and the whole midway station idea.

Atlantis wont stay in space tho, they'd need to find too much power for the shields from somewhere...
              Don't put jam on a magnet

my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle

Comment

Originally posted by female Wraith View Post

But ...the Collonel What was his name, the commander of Appolo was complete ass! He sucks! What was his character? A recycle version of Captain Sisko from DS9??? What a total looser. First speaking with Sheppard that he must be in charge of Atlantis and after that goes and begins to tell how much he appreciate Weir?!?! I hope the Asurans will blow up his ship.
                You're comparing colonel whatshisname to Avery brooks? They aren't even in the same league. How can the lead of a ST series compare to a guest star who may or may not be a red shirt in the series 4 opener. Oy vey!

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
                  So, now with all the "Fantastic Four" convo, and with only Sheppard's team now being regs, does this mean the title of this show becomes, "Deep Space Atlantis - Shep's Team"? Why call it Stargate-Atlantis when the writers only concentrate on a team that goes off-world (like Stargate - SG1). I kinda like the science POV, and concentrating on our guerrilla team brings only the military side. Seems the science is being pushed to the background now, for more shoot-em-ups and battles. I'd rather see the exploration side, but TPTB never seemed to get a grasp on that. They don't seem to think an episode is interesting without an explosion or gunfight or damsel in distress.

Plus, going by SG1 canon, stargates cannot work in space as they need a point of origin (i.e., stable planet or ship in orbit), therefore, the stargate on Atlantis shouldn't be able to work with them bobbing around in the middle of nowhere - there is no way to establish a solid point of origin. My science may be iffy on this though.
                  After being REALLY impressed by CGI (it's impossible not to be), i started to think about this ep and if you remove fantastic CGI, there isn't much there ...
                  Now we also know why Weir won't be around for large part of S4 ... ok, new doctor isn't secure about being CMO, but why did they change doctors at all?

I am getting confused with all these changes.

Personally, i think this was last episode of Stargate:Atlantis ... whatever we will watch next year under that name will be completely new show ... new direction, changed cast .. even new planet as base ...

And don't get me started on power issue ...
                  VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

nice CGI.But I have bad feeling that TPTB spent the the most of time making CG.The rest...imho boring a predictable

I was hoping they will destroy Asurans once and for all and will head back to Wraith stories.Unfortunately, it didn't happen
                    Stolen Kosovo
                    sigpic

Comment

how the hell did they get the power from the power station to Atlantis.
                      sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

I absolutely loved this episode! It was everything I'd hoped for and more!
                        I'm thrilled with the soft reset and now can't wait for season 4!
                        Bits I enjoyed:
                        The Fantastic Four reference was so funny and so sweet. Joe and Rachel played their parts to perfection. Great character moments between the three team members!!! Rodney as the human torch...
                        Woo hoo. Shep flying the city! Wow! It just took my breath away... Shep was so wonderful in those scenes, the CGI fantastic, as was the nuclear attack on the Asuran homeworld.
                        Loved that Zelenka didn't know what Shep and McKay were doing when they thought of their plan, and later loved the little self-satisfied grin on Sheppard's face when Weir said that the two of them had come up with an igenious plan!
                        The wonderful Chuck has a name - Chuck. He'll be so pleased they left that piece of the footage intact. (It was a mistake that Torri made when they fiilmed we learned at P2). Chuck? You do have a name!!!!! Woo hoo!
                        Ok, new characters:
                        Jewel Staite's Dr Keller - loved her. I'm surprised I did, but, honestly, I thought she was great. My fears have been allayed. She isn't meant to be CMO, she's just filling in for Carson, and says she's not experienced enough etc. She does look older than her years though, so I don't have a problem with her at all. She was extremely professional and I can see her as Atlantis' new doctor. Thumbs up from me.
                        Col. Ellis - fantastic. Really realistic military man who actually respects Sheppard. Very profesional, not a jerk, and totally not like Caldwell. He even called Sheppard 'John', and thought Sheppard should be in charge! Loved him. Professional yet warm too. So he gets the thumbs up too!!!
                        Very exciting stuff.
                        I'm theorising Weir had some sort of head injury requiring an operation in the new season. I also thought it was a good send off. Weir said she wanted to resign, or was tempted to, and honestly, I think she's gone from the series now. Maybe she'll be back now and then, but her time is limited, IMO. It was sort of a full circle episode for her, IMO.
                        Great special effects. Some lovely Shep/McKay interaction.
                        Loved it when Shep said McKay and Zelenka should make out!
                        I suspect Atlantis will be militarised now, and surprisingly, after seeing this episode, I'm all for it. (Previously I've never really wanted it, even though it was unrealistic considering the potential threats to Earth).
                        Well, if this is what season 4 is going to be like, I'm thrilled. Yes, it's a soft reset, but if it continues like this, well I'm sure it will be wonderful. I'm excited now!!!
                        Sometimes change is a good thing. I was sceptical, won't deny it. But, for me, here, it certainly was a good thing. I'm converted. Roll on season 4.
                        Well done to Martin Gero for writing such an awesome eppie, to all the cast for their great performances, MW for the wonderful direction etc.
                        This episode totally blew me away. 10/10.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by localfocus
                          Martin Gero wrote Sunday. Cuperus wrote Common Ground, The Arc, and Submersion.
                          That is true but Cuperus was story editor for Sunday, First strike, Vengence and The Ark (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0192551/ ). The fact that Gero wrote Sunday and First Strike doesn't make it better because that and SG-1 are his only writing credits.

I saw the season finale. I admit, they used really pretty and shiny effects but the story itself was weak to say the least. I don't like the fact that the science is pushed back in favour of the military...well at least we now know why there won't be much of Elizabeth around. I like Jewel. I really do. Her Kaylee is adorable but as far as I could see there is no chemistry between her and the crew but it might (or might not) get better. She won't have that many chances to proove herslf in the future the way it looks. I guess gating won't be an option anymore since the Gates don't work in outer space anymore. I don't know in which direction the show is heading and frankly I don't care. This was the last SGA episode for me :shrugs shoulders:
                          He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
                          He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
                          And he's wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by IWKYZerocool View Post
                            how the hell did they get the power from the power station to Atlantis.
                            They said there was an umbilicale that would break and pretty much total the drilling station.

Also, I might have missed it but did the Apollo definitely head back to Earth or was it still nearby? because if it was still around then I would have used the Apollo to get to a planet with a stargate, use the intergalactic gate network to get back to Earth, get the ZPM's and take them back to Atlantis.

Comment

Originally posted by huntress View Post
                              Really? Are you sure.? Let's see Ken Cuperus who gave us the loathsome "Sunday" and is also in charge of "First Strike" wrote shows like:

Bigfoot Presents: Meteor and the Mighty Monster Trucks
                              Beyblade: The Movie - Fierce Battle
                              The Doodlebops
                              Marvin the Tap-Dancing Horse
                              Maggie and the Ferocious Beast

If you don't believe me you can look him up yourself.

Now tell me why do I feel like crying and wonder what the bloody hell Brad Cooper and Steven Wright were thinking to get a writer like THAT for the show. I think they hate us and Atlantis. That is my only logical assumption.
                              There's nothing logical in your post

As someone else has mentioned, Ken has written CG, The Ark and Submersion. Some of the best eps this season. CG was THE BEST ep to me...

And what someone has done in the past has nothing to do as to how good/bad they are right now.

'Frist Strike' also seems to be a very liked episode
                              *Sig by the wonderful and talented Pegasus_SGA*

Comment

My guess is that they will drop off a ZPM.

Comment

Working...
                                X