PDA

View Full Version : The Game (315)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Trek_Girl42
September 25th, 2007, 11:55 PM
I'm of two minds about this one- love the concept. Fun! Love the Mckay/Sheppard competition. More fun! (sending over citrus fruit! :mckay:) but it felt....underdeveloped- the two "countries" were entirely one-dimensional. And I also had trouble buying that the ancients would have even created this system in the first place, with all their non-interference obsessions. Even before ascension.

Oh, and Lorne and Zelenka? How dumb were they? Though, granted, I think I'd have been tempted to do the same. :P

Overall, not bad, but far from a favourite. Still fun though. :)

MmmmMcKAy
September 28th, 2007, 05:46 AM
I enjoyed The Game. But why do I always get the feeling that everyone finds more fault with McKay than with Sheppard?

Anway, fun episode. The villages and the villagers always bug me, though. Maybe it's the clothes...but I want to smack them all, lol.:)

I guess that simulating what war felt like for the 2 sides was a good way to dissuade them from future aggressions.

I agree about Lorne and Zelenka(but at least they got some lines). The lure of power is very great.;)

Trek_Girl42
September 28th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I enjoyed The Game. But why do I always get the feeling that everyone finds more fault with McKay than with Sheppard?

Anway, fun episode. The villages and the villagers always bug me, though. Maybe it's the clothes...but I want to smack them all, lol.:)

I guess that simulating what war felt like for the 2 sides was a good way to dissuade them from future aggressions.

I agree about Lorne and Zelenka(but at least they got some lines). The lure of power is very great.;)
It is indeed- I was rolling my eyes at that part when I was watching it, but thinking about it afterwards.....Yeah, I can see it. :)

leeman15251
April 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM
This was my favorite Atlantis episode ever.

Coco Pops
June 28th, 2008, 08:48 PM
This was one of my recent favourites too... I kind of liked the whole "sims" idea with the consoles and the games, and makes me laugh and roll my eyes hehe...... If we ever found out that the real world was like this ha ha ha (joking)........

Great episode but I felt a bit let down by some of the way the characters were acting. A lot of childishness for supposed adults.

Butlersgate
March 6th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Great episode but I felt a bit let down by some of the way the characters were acting. A lot of childishness for supposed adults.

there are plenty of childish adults about so it isn't too far fetched, in fact it is closer to the truth than most will admit imo.

i absolutely love it when sheppard says "oh yeah, that's right. You need it to power your medieval steam engines!" LMFAO

great episode.

Coco Pops
March 6th, 2009, 05:44 PM
The game keeps me thinking that everytiem I play a game like Populous which I dearly miss now as you can't get it on PC. Used to play it to death on the Sega Master System.

Anyway watching this episode keeps me remembering that game and I often wonder if somewhere out there when I create my little civilisation if I am creating a real little world hehe....

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 02:13 PM
So darn confusing.

6/10

escyos
June 5th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Loved this episode, especially the Zelenka and Lorne scene

kayone
July 19th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Just saw this on DVD, the combination of the Stargate world playing 'real life Civilization' was too funny a concept for me, especially having played the game a little myself.

Coco Pops
July 19th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Just saw this on DVD, the combination of the Stargate world playing 'real life Civilization' was too funny a concept for me, especially having played the game a little myself.

I agree......... I often joke about that maybe whenever I played the game Populous which is more or less the same thing I was creating little whole worlds inside the computer......

mrscopterdoc
September 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM
The best part of this episode is when Radek and Lorne get caught playing the game. :D

blueray
January 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
The best part of this episode is when Radek and Lorne get caught playing the game. :D

i love that part, because i know i'd end up doing the same think they did.

just rewatched this episode the other day. i love how its like sims, and shows how addicting it could get. for some reason i love it when shephard and mckay kept referring to the countries as "their countries".

maneth
January 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM

Indeed. Otherwise it was rather one-dimensional.

caribsci
January 23rd, 2011, 02:00 PM
this is exactly how i think our lives are.we are all sims controlledsome lil kids in a far away galaxy.

Coco Pops
January 23rd, 2011, 03:09 PM
this is exactly how i think our lives are.we are all sims controlledsome lil kids in a far away galaxy.

That would explain a lot of the world :D

blueray
January 23rd, 2011, 05:26 PM

that seems like a likely theory

Coco Pops
January 23rd, 2011, 06:39 PM

Also this theory explains some of the goings on in Gateworld :D

Tiptronic
February 23rd, 2011, 04:04 PM
Incredibly fun scenes, I loved the 'realistic' doomsday scenes. I felt the adrenaline :D

mrscopterdoc
June 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Also this theory explains some of the goings on in Gateworld :D

:lol:

mathpiglet
June 8th, 2011, 05:13 PM
I could see this happening. The Ancients were very advanced and the urge to meddle in less-developed civilizations would be very tempting.

garhkal
June 9th, 2011, 04:31 PM
We do it on earth all the time!

mathpiglet
June 9th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Yes we do. And not very successfully. Some things we are doomed to repeat and fail.

aLadyofAtlantis
June 19th, 2012, 10:22 PM
This is basically my favorite episode of season 3... unfortunately Netflix cannot buffer to save its life and I had to stop in the middle! Best part is when everyone sees Rodney's face on the flag, and they are like, oh no...

big will
June 29th, 2012, 07:50 PM
this is the best episode of season 3. and it's very funny. the look on Rodney's face at the start of the episode when he sees his face on the flag from the video sent by major Lorne and looks at john. hehe

Darian
June 30th, 2012, 06:36 PM
Yeah it is one of the best episodes in the whole series I loved the part where Rodney and John were arguing

Lythisrose
August 20th, 2012, 07:44 AM
From Joe Mallozzi's Blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/august-18-2012-dinner-with-remi-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-the-game/):

THE GAME (315)

Great premise.

(obviously not one of JM's favorites :P)

Falcon Horus
August 20th, 2012, 10:47 AM
From Joe Mallozzi's Blog (http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/august-18-2012-dinner-with-remi-days-of-stargate-atlantis-past-the-game/):

THE GAME (315)

Great premise.

Mmm... one might get that impression... :p

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
I just finished watching the episode. Pretty interesting, especially the scenes between Shep and Rodney. That chick (I forget her name at the moment) was pretty hot. And it was a pretty interesting ending as well.

Of the 15 episodes that have aired already (in the States and in Canada), The Game is in the middle, wasn't awesome and it didn't suck either. I give it a ** 1/2.
I would've gone with the brown haired chick (aka the default one). Although I like how you have the option to pick one with a pink Mohawk.

Tomorrow, something about an Arc of Truth Arc.

Krisz
August 21st, 2012, 05:19 PM

THE GAME (315)

Great premise.

LOL!

So the Ancients invented these games first...only for real! :P It's due to things like this you can see why the Ancients decided not to meddle in human affairs any more once they ascended! They learned their lesson I guess. The idea of the machine was pretty cool though, an interesting way of observing people living together, but a bit unsettling to see that the Ancients could also manipulate the outcomes of scenarios they instigated. 'Big Brother' has nothing on the Ancients in this case of watching and manipulating individuals!

jelgate
August 21st, 2012, 05:59 PM
Good idea bad execution. The notion that a game is a reality is a scifi cliche that has been done many times. Us accidently starting a "cold war" because we thought it was a game is not a bad idea. It could have been interesting to see us how to defuse a situation. However the Shepphed and McKay bickering in this episode grates me the wrong way. These two acted like my 8 year old nephew instead of professional adults. With themselves responsible for causing the tension between two societies I thought McKay and Shepphed would be more concerned about stopping these tension then fighting among themselves. It was childish and frankly I thought more of these characters. It was even more insane when Lorne and Zelenka did it since they knew these were real people.

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 23rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
An okay ep. A lot better than irresponsible anyway.

A pretty interesting idea. Taking the saying "It's just a game" and turning it on its head.

McKay modelling all his women after Sam haha. So typical of him.

Would be hard coming to terms with the fact that your whole life or most of your life has been nothing but a game to someone.

The famous blue jello makes another appearance.

Coco Pops
August 24th, 2012, 03:45 AM

A pretty interesting idea. Taking the saying "It's just a game" and turning it on its head.

Would be hard coming to terms with the fact that your whole life or most of your life has been nothing but a game to someone.

Interesting from a philisophical point of view too. Imagine if our whole way of life were someone else's game?

Matt G
August 25th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Midweek, another ep of Atlantis...

1. Ah, this one, solid enough idea.

2. Forgot how aggressive the two guys got over this.

3. Still, as I said in '07, how were they meant to know how big this was?

The ultimate case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.

garhkal
August 26th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Always wondered why the Wraith never found the planet, or any of the others involved...

Coco Pops
August 26th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Always wondered why the Wraith never found the planet, or any of the others involved...

Maybe they were shielded in some way?

jelgate
August 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM
The Wraith wouldn't care about the satelites as long as the inhabitants stay in a pre-industrial world

garhkal
August 26th, 2012, 09:59 PM
But why not take over the satellites, to change the game, so they worship the wraith/agree to be cattle.??

Coco Pops
August 27th, 2012, 12:20 AM
But why not take over the satellites, to change the game, so they worship the wraith/agree to be cattle.??

Tactically that would be brilliant if the Wraith did that but I doubt they have the mad gaming skillz :D

But seriously yes that would have made for a cool Atlantis episode too with this plot idea...

jelgate
August 27th, 2012, 06:18 AM

The Wraith don't care what you think of them as long as you are tasty. It would be like us caring about what pigs think qhwn they are butchered

garhkal
August 27th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Well we saw in that S2 ep, a wraith letting one planet live as long sa they had that prison colony near the gate. So why not something similar on the game planet (or one like it)..

jelgate
August 27th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Because he was obviously the exception to the rule. The Wraith from Condmended even said so

garhkal
August 29th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Doesn't mean there could not have been another like him.

jelgate
August 29th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Statsically improbable

Jae'a
September 16th, 2012, 08:54 AM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/71235.html)
Wow, makes me kind of nervous about playing Spore again, now.. :P

Cluas
February 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM
This was such a good idea, but after the first 10 minutes it all fell apart. It was like seeing Atlantis turned into a kindergarden.

They could even have solved the whole thing, by NOT going there in person, and instead pose as gods for a little longer, and correct the problems they made.

But my real problem with this episode, was the fact that the Ancients made this "game" for developing their seeded worlds. Right? Why would they need 2 opposing factions to do that? It was just lame...

A good idea for a story. But very poorly executed...

I must admit the Sam lookalike was kind of cool

:sam:

Baron Of Hell
August 30th, 2013, 02:10 PM
The ancient didn't require two opposing factions. Shep and Mckay created the two sides.

I liked the episode but I think they didn't explore godhood enough. They could have just fixed all their problems using the game and then told them the truth once everything was back to normal.

Coco Pops
August 30th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Check this out

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/10/11/physicists-may-have-evide_n_1957777.html

mrscopterdoc
August 20th, 2014, 06:14 PM

I agree!

It does make you stop and think....

Rodney and his crush on Sam......

That would be very difficult to come to terms with I think.

Blue jello!!

garhkal
August 22nd, 2014, 04:04 PM
One thing i always wondered with this ep. Exactly how many planets were hooked up to it?

Falcon Horus
August 22nd, 2014, 04:09 PM
One thing i always wondered with this ep. Exactly how many planets were hooked up to it?

Endless possibilities with this one... I think it would have been cool if they'd ended the episode with showing us several societies who suddenly stop getting messages from the "gods".

hedwig
August 22nd, 2014, 06:15 PM

One also has to wonder just how those societies were surviving before The Game came along. I mean, they weren't just chess pieces being moved around on a board before all the interference from Shepphard and McKay came along. Was Atlantis, itself, running it before those two got involved?

Falcon Horus
August 22nd, 2014, 06:20 PM
It was probably on autopilot. The program just running by itself until someone, i.e. two curious boys, would alter parameters and switch to manual.

garhkal
August 22nd, 2014, 09:01 PM
IIRC in the ep, the 2 nations mentioned that they kept doing what they had done from when they got the last messages. So they effectively were stagnant.
Though i would have loved to have seen who else (besides Zelenka and Lorne) were playing it.
Heck i wonder.. Did any wraith ever find those planets, hack the satellite feed and 'make the people' worshipers?

jelgate
August 22nd, 2014, 09:20 PM
You are close. The interfaces were inactive before Shep and McKay played their game.

jfarrell327
August 27th, 2014, 02:19 PM
I love this episode. One of my favorites, I just wish they had real games like this except have it not effecting real societies, it would take way too long...