The Game (315)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IWKYZerocool View Post
    Yes but this forum is just for The Game so no spoilers are required.
    i know i was just thinking that some people may be after just a small taste of the episode not neccessarily the whole thing...i don't mind i was happy to read it, but others might not want a complete summary
    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
      i know i was just thinking that some people may be after just a small taste of the episode not neccessarily the whole thing...i don't mind i was happy to read it, but others might not want a complete summary
      Ok, i see where you are going, I like having this much info, it gives me something to read about and look forward to it even more.
      sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Ok, i see where you are going, I like having this much info, it gives me something to read about and look forward to it even more.
        yeah so do i, but others might not which is all i was saying...anyway no point arguing i find the whole idea of a flag with Rodneys face on it hilarious!
        Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Yes but this forum is just for The Game so no spoilers are required.
          Agreed. It's for discussion of anything to do with the episode, therefore don't come here if you don't want to be spoiled!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Good ep. The mckay and sheppard banter was hilarious. I loved mckay putting his pic on the flags and walls. While there wasn’t that much tension throughout the episode it had good moments.
            lorne and zelenka getting caught playing the game was funny but also showed how helping a little can lead to the problems mckay and sheppard had caused. The chess scene at the end with mckay and sheppard still arguing about cheating was a great show of the friendship they have. teyla and ronan could have been used more although the opening scene with mckay discussing the moral choice was a great team moment.
            sigpic

Comment

I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I thought there would be alot of CG work on the Atlantis end, and then a comparison on the planet end or something....dunno, just didn't sit with me.

Good relations between Sheppard and McKay though, they crack me up.

chem

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                you may want to put that in spoilers, some people may not want the entire episode completely spoiled
                Than I would think they shouldn't be in the thread for the episode

Comment

I thought it was a good ep. Specatcular? One I'll watch over and over? One that glued me to the screen? No, no, and no. *G* It was solid, it had its funny moments (once again, the McKay and Sheppard banter delivers! ) and I liked how they touched on the ethical dilemma of just trying to help. (the whole "Road to Damnation is Paved with Good Intentions" thing. *G*) All Radek wanted originally, was to help a bunch of people keep from starving to death. But how much is good and how much is too much?

I thought the ethical scenario Rodney was trying to discuss with the team in the beginning was funny. Poor McKay, Ronon just doesn't do well with "What if" scenarios. I think Shep knew what Rodney was trying to do, but he was messing with him. LOL

Go Shep! Winning the chess game in the end. Like to see them touch on his MENSA brainpower every once in a while. LOL

Overall, solid episode, but not one of my favs for the season. I think things will pick up from here for the end of the season.
                  sigpic
                  My Fanfiction: fanfiction.net ** My LJ (Art and Fanfiction): SGAFan LJ

Comment

I liked this ep. Weir had her moments...
                    All that citrus stuff while negotiating... that was great....
                    Rodney using JFK quote... i was laughing really hard...
                    Zelenka / Lorne? .. too good.. getting caught...

Didn't expect to resolve the way it did... anyway, good writing. If i can remove Lucius eps from this season i think it's best so far... some really great eps with rest above average... (i guess they made Lucius eps so we can appreciat the rest )
                    VISIT AND JOIN

Comment

Ugh.

Definitely not my favorite episode of the season. Usually, even with the stand-alone eps, I can watch and be drawn in by the plot, this episode, however, didn't do that. The Shep and McKay banter wasn't as good as in the last few episodes, and the two representatives from the countries (I forget their names) weren't compelling enough in their acting or their dialogue to make me care about them. Additionally, while I think Rodney's Samantha Carter obsession is neat little character thing--they're overdoing it.

This, along with Progeny is one of my least favorite episodes of Season 3.

Gotta love the Zelenka screen time though.
                      McKay : (incredibly high pitched) HEEEY! IT'S MISTER MOM! How are the kids??

Zelenka: Do not even SPEAK to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ata_beckett View Post
                        Ugh.

Definitely not my favorite episode of the season. Usually, even with the stand-alone eps, I can watch and be drawn in by the plot, this episode, however, didn't do that. The Shep and McKay banter wasn't as good as in the last few episodes, and the two representatives from the countries (I forget their names) weren't compelling enough in their acting or their dialogue to make me care about them. Additionally, while I think Rodney's Samantha Carter obsession is neat little character thing--they're overdoing it.

This, along with Progeny is one of my least favorite episodes of Season 3.

Gotta love the Zelenka screen time though.
                        Agreed. Progeny, though, was sort of like an introduction to the Asurans similar to the way that The Return pt.1 was a setup episode for pt.2.
                        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

A thought...

Near the beginning of the episode, McKay made some comment about creating the characters of the 'game' - what his exact words were I don't remember, maybe knowing would help clear up my question..

part a

i wanna know why john's 'leader' figure looked so thug-crossed-with-a-hun'ish w/ a brit accent. i mean, that's not who i pictured as his vision of a 'leader'. granted, he kept with the 'times' as far as what he did w/ the game, but still.

part b

rodney's character is blonde and a sam-lookalike. no surprise if he created her. however, the characters said that they existed before the 'oracle' returned. additionally, there's evidence of the game 'continuing' without intervention as per the scenes w/ lorne/zelenka as well as other discussions involving weir.

so...i'm confused. did not!carter always exist? that would negate what rodney originally said about creating characters. did not!jason stathom exist before john? in john's case, that would make sense as he doesn't fit with what i would have envisioned john creating as a 'leader' but then that doesn't explain rodney's not!carter.

in the episode, not!carter came to become the leader after her passionate faith in the oracle. so i could see rodney toying with the 'character' to put her in power, but he didn't create her? so she's not really not!carter, she's really an existing character in the game that he found and liked?

in addition to all that, if they were just created, they possess a remarkable self-awareness, intelligence and adaptibility. did john and rodney 'program' a certain intelligence while they played? if they were just created, where's the ancient tech to create them?

if one assumes that they exisisted prior to rodney/john's game playing and the leaders of the people in the game simply possessed the characteristics that rodney/john valued in a leader which brought them to the forefront (frightening) then what was all that about creating characters in the beginning? not to mention the additional darker tones that would bring regarding power and control (an argument of Lucius' phermone drug could probably be brought up, but i fear bringing that to this thread ) as far as the Ancients went, john/rodney, the thus then rather frightening scene between lorne and zelenka who knew full-well what was happening, etc...

that was rather lengthy. my apologies

- jo

Comment

I don't think they created the people, just the styles. It's easy enough to dye and cut hair afterall...and she might have been elected by her people after Rodney took over partly because she exemplified the new "ideal".... I do agree that Sheppard's guy didn't really suit him...though it may be evidence of the differing levels of influence the two exerted. The girl from Geldar sounded just like Rodney whereas the guy from Sheppard's country sounded like the kind of military commander that Sheppard hates...he didn't have the other aspects of influence from John.

Anyway, good ep from a stand-alone plot persepctive but not one of my favs for the season. I'd probably like it better if I wasn't so interested in where they're going with the characters right now and how PM will leave and how it will affect the others. When I see this in reruns, I'll probably enjoy it more.
                            Visit these links:
                            Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
                            ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
                            There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
                            ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Oh and Zalenka and Lorne made this episode so much better. I loved their interaction. It was very funny and showed both characters to be developed and have friendships even though they aren't on screen very often. The fact that recurring characters aren't too 1D is one of the reasons why I like this show
                              Visit these links:
                              Doctors without Borders --- Amnesty International --- ICotRC --- UNICEF --- Oxfam
                              ______________________________________________________________________________

In the democracy of the dead all men at last are equal.
                              There is neither rank nor station nor prerogative in the republic of the grave.
                              ~John James Ingalls

Geek Forever!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ShoDar View Post
                                I don't think they created the people, just the styles. It's easy enough to dye and cut hair afterall...
                                True that, I just can't remember the scene where Rodney was picking out his 'character (ala Total Recall, anyone?) ... weir/john/rodney talked about the people in the game, but i don't recall as to whether or not rodney said they 'created' the characters (which would imply far more involvement in the character than just picking the hairstyle) or what...

Comment

Working...
                                X