PDA

View Full Version : Sunday (317)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Pegasus_SGA
March 11th, 2007, 11:37 AM
lol, I read that to, and thought OMG, those poor turtles are done for, hehehe.

Falcon Horus
March 11th, 2007, 11:41 AM

Totally ... poor turtles.

Night Spring
March 11th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Heh. I can just see... They are on a mission on another planet, sneaking around to avoid the Wraith or some other bad guy, and all of a sudden, Rodney goes, "Oh no! I forgot to feed Carson's turtles!" and everyone just turns around and glares at him...

Pegasus_SGA
March 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
*giggles* that would be hilarious and I can just see that happening :D. Especially when they're attempting to be covert :D

shelsfc
March 11th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Heh. I can just see... They are on a mission on another planet, sneaking around to avoid the Wraith or some other bad guy, and all of a sudden, Rodney goes, "Oh no! I forgot to feed Carson's turtles!" and everyone just turns around and glares at him...

LOL, those poor turtles...though that would be cute! At least we'd know they remember him :rolleyes:

Dusk
March 19th, 2007, 04:01 AM
Farewell Carson, you were a great man and one hell of a doctor! Go find Janet out there in the heavenly stars...

My gosh, quite a well written episode. I'm very happy to see Elizabeth letting her guard down to a potential future love, and even Rodney making amends with the botanist. Hope Radick enjoys his Swedish massage, and Maj Lorne finishes his canvas.. thought Ronan was out of place in this episode, can the big oaf even empathize with his colleagues?

Would've been nice to see SGC on the other end intercepting the casket. But trivial matters aside, this was a wonderful sendoff to a well-respected character.

Rest in peace my Scottish brother.

:sheppardanime32: :weiranime32: :mckayanime01: :teyla26: :ronananime17:

Borg Queen
April 22nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Whenever i watch this episode i can't help but tear up. I did make a Tribute vid however it was taken down.

The poor turtles LOL

rosey_angel
April 24th, 2007, 10:09 PM
*cry* even though i was spoilt up to wazoo, still almost made me cry

very well written, imo. i liked hearing more about the characters past, and how that'll affect them in future eps

sad to see beckett go (and even sadder that it reminded me so much of a Greys Anatomy ep, not that i don't love the show, but very odd).

PLoker
May 8th, 2007, 05:54 PM
I LOVED, and have watched this episode coutless times, thanks to Rogers and The Movie Network On Demand. I have never watched an episode so many times. I loved the last 10 mins the most.

The music was just great during the transition of taking Carson back home though the stargate to when we see McKay standing on the pier. I'm trying to figure out a way to find the score for the episode so that I can download a copy of the music... So relaxing and great for that part.

There were only a couple gitches I found not sure if anyone else noticed:

1. When Carson comes to meets McKay and sees McKay is getting a snack for himself and Katie when it's McKay's POV it looks/flows differently when Carson takes his sandwich then from Carsons POV.

2. When they are dialing Earth you only hear 5 chevrons lock when as far as I know it takes 8 to dial to or from Earth.

But other then that I can't say enough about how much I loved this episode one of my favs' ever!! I'm just sad that it had to be the end of Carson :(

da040926
May 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM
** SPOILERS **

Am I the only one who consider Carson's death pointless? I mean, this episode was imho one of the best, except of the way he died.

Why did he carry this triggered granade all the way to the pyrotechnist? All area was evacuated, there was absolutely no reason for that. Couldn't he just put the explosive tumor behind the corner and hide himself into the safety of the room?! In that way there wouldn't have been any pointless risk.

Oh well. One of my favourite characters died by his "own" stupidity ... but the screenwriter is actually to be blamed for it. I hate screenwriters for they lazyness :-((

I have to give only 6/10 (I would give 10/10 if not for the sensless way Carson died)

PG15
May 8th, 2007, 06:09 PM
If he hadn't carried the tumor to the pyrotechnist, then it would've exploded when the pyrotechnist was only half way to sickbay; it wouldn't matter if he had "stuck it in a corner"; that thing would've killed them all unless it was far enough away.

kaylee123
May 9th, 2007, 07:07 AM
hello
does anybody know if this episode is up on the Internet somewhere if so can someone please tell me i live in the States and it hasn't aired yet and i can't wait to watch even thought my favorite Chacter (can't spell) Dies in this episode i love Beckett i don't know why he had to die

RIP :beckett:
We'll miss you

garhkal
May 9th, 2007, 05:38 PM
If he hadn't carried the tumor to the pyrotechnist, then it would've exploded when the pyrotechnist was only half way to sickbay; it wouldn't matter if he had "stuck it in a corner"; that thing would've killed them all unless it was far enough away.

he could have tossed it out one of the windows..

PG15
May 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
You saw a window nearby did you? :p

The fact is; Carson, the noble person he is, risked his life to deliver the tumor to the pyrotechnist quicker so it reduced the chance it would've exploded near his nurse and patient, and he paid the ultimate price for it.

garhkal
May 10th, 2007, 05:45 PM
True he was being selfless then...

MIZA
May 16th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Okay, to be straight out:

I DISLIKED this. Heavily.

I mean, I knew Carson would die before it aired, but it was in such a USELESS way, I just couldn't believe it. (Lone Gunmen on the X-Files, anyone?)

The first half of the episode felt like "SGA: The High School Years" for me, at least for the women? Elizabeth and that guy, supposedly "working" with her, even though we've never seen him before? Yeah, whatever.
Rodney and Katie... also didn't interest me one bit. The only funny part about it was him falling over his own words when talking about marriage.

As for the "plot"... what on...? Explosive tumours? O rly? They explained that to us in like 2 minutes, then everyone just exploded. That mysterious radiation (which we didn't really get any info about) was just a very lame plot device, nothing more.
Carson going back for that tumour was unnecessary and forced. He and the other doctor lady could've just LEFT THE ROOM and let the *protected* guys with the detonation container bag the thing. But no, we HAVE to let him die, don't we? :(

The ending scene was KITSCHY. I love the Rodney/Carson dynamic, it's (sorry, WAS) one of my favourite parts of the show, but that was just the uber-cliché, I could almost speak along. I cried in the end, but not because of the schmaltzy talking, but because I realized we've lost the best character ever to be on Atlantis.

This is so pitiful, offing a character like that. Yes, I am angry.

The dramatic effect you were pining for with this will NEVER EVER weigh up the lack of Carson through out the rest of the show.

oh man i totally agree with you the way the lone gunmen died that was stupid you know they are still alive somewhere, that was totally planned out and i haven't seen sunday yet, but i sure hope he does not die senselessly , that would suck booty

Fatewarns
May 26th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Why is it always the Scottish!

NATIK
May 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I will say it like this, Sunday is one of only 3 Stargate episodes I will never watch again, no matter what, Irresponsible, Irresistible and Sunday, the three worst episodes the writers have ever come up with.

There is no sense in Carsons death and the episode dosnt do his character justice, he is/was one of the best characters of Atlantis and they off him in a truely useless filler (in the worst meaning of the word).

If Stargate Atlantis continue to have episodes like Sunday, I feel it should be taken off the air ASAP as it is hurting the Stargate franchise overall. Everything was done poorly, I was bored out of my mind watching it, first time that has happened with Stargate for me.

UltraMarioMan
May 26th, 2007, 06:01 PM
*curls up in a corner and starts rocking back & forth* This is not happening...This is not happening...This is not happening...:(

Diesel Vanilla
May 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM
You saw a window nearby did you? :p

The fact is; Carson, the noble person he is, risked his life to deliver the tumor to the pyrotechnist quicker so it reduced the chance it would've exploded near his nurse and patient, and he paid the ultimate price for it.

"The fact is; Carson, the noble person he is, "got dumped on from a great height by a deadly flying beasty known as the 'ratings scapegoat'", and he paid the ultimate price for it."

hehehe, sorry, couldn't resist! ;)

Right up until the crappy premature demise of CB I was actually liking the informal 'day off' ep.

Gah.

(hope you don't mind PG15: will happily remove if my pilfering of your quote offends! :))

PG15
May 27th, 2007, 04:37 PM
It doesn't offend, although I do disagree with it vehemently. :p

Diesel Vanilla
May 28th, 2007, 02:29 AM
It doesn't offend, although I do disagree with it vehemently. :p

hehe, I was feelin' a wee bit cheeky last night. :p

Am interested to see what the 'non-Gateworld' US viewers think of Sunday in a couple of weeks time.

Boxytheboxed
June 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM
OMG its on when saw carson i nearly cryed

Boxytheboxed
June 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
heheheh baby sitting ferns

Pharaoh Atem
June 1st, 2007, 06:42 PM
i'm going to cry again :(

Boxytheboxed
June 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooo
im crying now
so sad

BlueSparks
June 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
OMG its on when saw carson i nearly cryed

I can't believe that it happened...not carson!

Boxytheboxed
June 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
i need a tissue, im so sad man, itl never be the same

Skate Zilla
June 1st, 2007, 07:00 PM
$50 he acsended

wsansewjs
June 1st, 2007, 07:05 PM
I never ever cried this hard in my entire life after watching this episode. It is already a must episode to watch. It really doesn't take the Stargate to be Stargate to have a good episode.

My eyes are still teary after writing this post. This tells me that Beckett's one of the most loved characters in SciFi history. I feel ashamed to cry so hard to a TV show, but damn Atlantis is on its way to the good years like SG-1 did back in the days.

Simply well made episode.

-WJS

nell
June 1st, 2007, 07:09 PM
Great episode! I liked the character developments as they moved through earlier scenes leading up to the opening scene's explosion. Good tension as Carson deliberately and carefully worked to save the man. Although I knew what was going to happen to Carson, I was still shocked when it happened. Very touching memorial. McKay's and Beckett's parting words were sad and poignant. They were best friends after all.

Pharaoh Atem
June 1st, 2007, 07:10 PM
i love the fact that there used the stargate dialing at the end as a salute by dialing slowly and the bagpipes playing very emotional.
the othe thing that hit me as great was weir nearly crying during the speech

Boxytheboxed
June 1st, 2007, 07:22 PM
the worst was with Ronen and McKay, and ROdney and the ghost

drjacksonfan
June 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM
i was shocked when i was watching this episode.i did like the thing at the end. i was moved by it so i made twotribute wallpapers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/carson_wall_ccopy.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/carson_wall_bcopy.jpg

Sue_Jackson
June 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! CARSON!!!!! :sheppardanime32: :danielanime08:

OMG!!!!!!! I'm still crying!!! :(

Why did Carson have to die????? :( I'm totally stunned. Atlantis won't be the same without him. :(

the fifth man
June 1st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Every time I see this one, his death still gets me. What a loss too. I really liked Carson. Very fitting tribute to him in the end though. And that ending scene with McKay, even made me almost cry.

Elles
June 1st, 2007, 08:14 PM
$50 he acsended
I'll take you up on that.

I'm depressed now.

And angry at exploding tumors.

1. They killed Carson.

2. It's about as legitimate as spontaneous combustion.

Willow'sCat
June 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
I still say Sunday was a brilliant episode, no the tumour was stupid :cool: but the way and wherefore of his death was of a secondary concern to me.

This is my Third favourite episode of season 3. And the ending just made me cry like a baby. :(

I think it was the best McKay and Beckett moment I have seen in three seasons and for me it was worth the loss to end up with such a great moment and episode.

ladyjanus
June 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM
Lovely episode, lots of good character moments, lots and lots of good acting and some especially good bits of "canon fodder" for everyone to chew on.

Loved the bit between Ronan and Shepherd — two uber-alpha males — gingerly skirting the question of gender preference — "as in a woman?" "...or a man..." "No."

No false heroics for the good Dr. Beckett. Just a dedicated man cut down in the course of selflessly doing the job he is comitted to doing. Bitter, but not as bad as a cheesy over the top, sacrificial bit of OOC-ness.

Did anyelse think that the stalker dude, Mike whats-his-name, looked a whole like Noah Wiley? Like an older brother, with a beard, of the doctor Wiley played on ER for so many years? Hated the character, but the actor was yummy...

ladyjanus

twinchaosblade
June 1st, 2007, 11:15 PM
$50 he acsended

I'm depressed now.

1. They killed Carson.

Thanks for the extra money, guys! ;)
Joe Mallozzi definitely said that Carson did not ascend, although I believe he would have been noble enough to do so.

I still say Sunday was a brilliant episode, no the tumour was stupid :cool: but the way and wherefore of his death was of a secondary concern to me.

This is my Third favourite episode of season 3. And the ending just made me cry like a baby. :(

I think it was the best McKay and Beckett moment I have seen in three seasons and for me it was worth the loss to end up with such a great moment and episode.

To quote Meatloaf:
"Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost!" http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/parisindy/Smilies/candle.gif

No matter how brilliant the ep or heroic the end of Carson might have been, I still can't get my head around the fact that TPTB unnecessarily killed off the most wonderful character they created when they launched SGA! http://bestsmileys.com/frustrated/5.gif
The kindness and compassion he added to the show as a character was very rare on TV in general. They really should have kept him as a regular. http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/509/bawlingtz6.gif

Willow'sCat
June 2nd, 2007, 12:49 AM
No matter how brilliant the ep or heroic the end of Carson might have been, I still can't get my head around the fact that TPTB unnecessarily killed off the most wonderful character they created when they launched SGA! The kindness and compassion he added to the show as a character was very rare on TV in general. They really should have kept him as a regular.
*shrugs* I guess I don't see it like that, but I don't want a fight about. I have made my opinions on this topic well known, I stand by them and I still say Sunday was a brilliant episode. And it wasn't just brilliant becasue of Carson's death and the reaction to it, it was well acted, had some wonderful comic moments and I am told even sweet 'relationship' moments. In many ways it had everything a normal SGA episode lacks in spades :cool: Martin Gero did a great job, as did the actors.

twinchaosblade
June 2nd, 2007, 01:14 AM
*shrugs* I guess I don't see it like that, but I don't want a fight about. I have made my opinions on this topic well known, I stand by them and I still say Sunday was a brilliant episode. And it wasn't just brilliant becasue of Carson's death and the reaction to it, it was well acted, had some wonderful comic moments and I am told even sweet 'relationship' moments. In many ways it had everything a normal SGA episode lacks in spades :cool: Martin Gero did a great job, as did the actors.

No need to fight, Willow's Cat. Although we might not agree on this topic, I'm completely fine with your opinion. I won't bash or flame anyone because they don't share my view.

Haliyah
June 2nd, 2007, 03:36 AM
$50 he acsended

.:It has been stated multiple times that he did not Ascend. :)

.:EDIT: Ah, I see Twin already took care of that. :o

TJuk
June 2nd, 2007, 04:50 AM
"The fact is; Carson, the noble person he is, "got dumped on from a great height by a deadly flying beasty known as the 'ratings scapegoat'", and he paid the ultimate price for it."

Amen to that!!!!

I was pissed when the rumours started flying, disbelieving that after only ONE full season as a regular (promoted on the strength of Paul McGillion's excellent portrayal and his popularity) they would just turn around and dump him! I was LIVID when it turned out to be true especially seeing how upset and disappointed Paul was with the decision yet still handling it with class and nothing but kind words for TPTB. But to be honest, when I watched the episode my strongest feeling was disappointment. There were some bright spots but generally it was poorly written and conceived. Exploding Tumour? How dumb can they get? It was basically a rip off of 'Grey's Anatomy' (who did it a million times better despite the fact I couldn't give a rats bum about the characters!) and a cool old movie, 'Live Wire'. It was a shameless waste of a potentially great character.

Oh and just to update, apparently Gero has been quoted as saying it wasn't done for story reasons (he told people on the set tour during the Van con) and apparently recently said it wasn't done for ratings. Um...so just why the hell was it done????

For anyone else whose angry, join the fight over at www.savecarson.com

We're already managed to get Paul/Carson back for a big 2-part episode (Many thanks to Joe Mallozzi too!) and riased over $1 MILLION dollars worth of publicity in the process (National scottish press, National UK (The Times newspaper), CBC National Canadian tv, Radio, every major genre magazine etc).

BRING BACK CARSON!!!!

FireCat
June 2nd, 2007, 07:09 AM
I liked the Katie/Rodney scenes, and I liked seeing Lorne the painter, but killing Carson just made me want to quit this show forever. That was a terrible decision!

prion
June 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM

I'm depressed now.

1. They killed Carson.

insert snark here. oh puhlease. Spontaneous combustion has more validity than exploding 'tumors.' I mean, yes, tumors can burst, but blow up to the point they take out parts of walls and create fireballs that consume a corridor?? It's fiction, but they sure left the science out of it.

Lovely episode, lots of good character moments, lots and lots of good acting and some especially good bits of "canon fodder" for everyone to chew on.

Loved the bit between Ronan and Shepherd — two uber-alpha males — gingerly skirting the question of gender preference — "as in a woman?" "...or a man..." "No."

No false heroics for the good Dr. Beckett. Just a dedicated man cut down in the course of selflessly doing the job he is comitted to doing. Bitter, but not as bad as a cheesy over the top, sacrificial bit of OOC-ness.

Did anyelse think that the stalker dude, Mike whats-his-name, looked a whole like Noah Wiley? Like an older brother, with a beard, of the doctor Wiley played on ER for so many years? Hated the character, but the actor was yummy...

ladyjanus

The characters moments were great; too bad Carson gets all of them too and then dies for ratings/whatever. Oh yeah, Mike the doctor did look like Noah Wylie, but I didn't see him as stalkerish. Now, if he keeps pestering Weir non-stop, then sure... but Weir seems to be a tough nut to drag out on a date. And they did have fun, until it got a little too involved for her.

FinalMacGyver
June 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Man This sucked. I Liked carson

Major_Griff
June 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM
I thought that was a really nice peice of charcter development for Lorne to see him spending his day off painting. I think there was alot of good character development through out. I'm not sure if this is what he ment but did Sheppard say he was married in the past? That's something that I might like to see explored in the future. I alos I liked seeing Sheppard in his dress uniform for I believe the first time ever. The scenes after Carsons death were amazing espesially the scene in his roome with Rodney and Ronan. Great epsiode.

Carter1994
June 2nd, 2007, 09:44 AM
Well, this was a perfect episode. A PERFECT WASTE OF BECKKET'S LIFE!!!!!! Oh, I really didn't like it, not one bit. I didn't like Weir and guy, didn't like the Ronon and Sheppard time, I felt miserable for poor Carson, no one would go fishing with him, and he'd been looking forward to it for like, what was it? Two months. *Eyes tear up* It just seemed like such a waste. I have to go, writing about this is just to painful. *A tear drops from cheek and splashes on the keyboard* Good bye, Carson, you will be missed.

nowvoyager908
June 2nd, 2007, 10:04 AM
I hated this episode. Although I was spoiled, I still wasn't prepared for Carson's death and like a frightened little kid, closed my eyes when I knew "tumor time" was approaching. I don't care how warm and fuzzy the bonding moments were supposed to be. All was ruined by an ending that IMHO was just wrong. Fans have been clamoring for character development and team bonding moments . . . . and this is what we get? My advice is - be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes:

RIP Carson - you damn well deserved better than this.

Falcon Horus
June 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have been watching this episode a couple of times now (3-4 times) and even though I thought I would never watch it again when I first saw it, I have to change that opinion.

With every viewing I like it just that little more than the last viewing, and yes I think the exploding tumor-thing is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. And I wish Carson didn't have to go boom. But I just like the over all story-thing.

Planetary_Alliance
June 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
OK so i make a point of avoiding all spoliers so i didn't see this coming so i'll say what everyone has probably said 100 times already

OMG THEY KILLED OFF CARSON!!!!!!!!!!

ok now that i got that out.

Overall i actualy like the whole jumping around story plot but i dont think it would have worked with any other story. I like that you learned alot about people like SHEPARD WAS MARRIED!, Ronnan had a girlfriend, Lorne paints (finaly something about his past), Weir almost could have fallen in love, Rodney can (though it pains me to say it) be a nice guy. I cried when Carson died and then he is standing on the peir with rodney.

Another part i like was how Rodney took it the strongest, he was trying to blame himself and that once again showed how like i said he can be a nice guy.

Another thing that I hate to say is that even though the explosion killed Carson and the other one hurt Teyla the affects were still prety cool. And then when Teyla insisted on standing at Carson's funeral. it all made me cry. One thing that i realy didn't see anyone mention is that Ronan went to earth. I wonder if they will ever go into what he thought about while he was there.

And the last part that seems to be driving everyone crazy is Did Carson ascend(sp). I dont know actualy, the way he was standing on the peir i think he did but i wont say for sure. Also i have seen at least 2 or 3 ideas of bringing in an alternate reality carson. I dont know how i would realy feel about that cause in all the AU people we have seen Kwaliski was pretty much the same but the carter and Rodney were diffrent (I never saw the episoded where all the diffrent AU people were at the GC so i can't talk on that) so how do we know an alternate reality carson would be the same carson we know and love. Pluss how would they break that to his parents. I mean when then thought Daniel died (ep crystal skull) his closes relative was his dad who was thought to be crazy and then his wife is now dead and she wasn't even from earth anyway. so i dont know. i realy dont know.

Ok so this is the longest post i have made on here so i'm just going to give myself a quick pat on the back *Yay me*

CalmStorm
June 2nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Would have been a great episode if not for the ending.

Maybe I'm just not the type of viewer they are seeking. I find it ashame that they have such an outstanding cast and they cannot make it work with the extreme amount of talent they have in front of them. I've grown tired of wondering who will be next to go. How much time will be wasted introducing us to the next newbie who is at as much risk as the previous "veteran" of the show? It's hard to be entertained when you're left wondering, will my fave character be the next to get canned. From reading spoilers, I can say that yes, it does look like one of my faves will be next.

I think this episode would have been great, and one I would watch more than once. However, the ending is extremely regrettable and extremely disappointing.

Falcon Horus
June 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Ronon had a girlfriend

We already knew that from Sateda, so not a new fact.

And the last part that seems to be driving everyone crazy is Did Carson ascend(sp). I dont know actualy, the way he was standing on the peir i think he did but i wont say for sure.

There was a body so no, he didn't ascend.

I mean when then thought Daniel died (ep crystal skull) his closest relative was his dad who was thought to be crazy

Correction: That was his granddad, Nick. Daniel's dad died when Jackson was a child, as revealed in 'The Gamekeeper' (season 2).

prion
June 2nd, 2007, 03:03 PM
I have been watching this episode a couple of times now (3-4 times) and even though I thought I would never watch it again when I first saw it, I have to change that opinion.

With every viewing I like it just that little more than the last viewing, and yes I think the exploding tumor-thing is the most ridiculous thing I have ever seen. And I wish Carson didn't have to go boom. But I just like the over all story-thing.

Overall, good episode. Carson dying: sucked. Exploding tumor? Puh-lease.....

Overall i actualy like the whole jumping around story plot but i dont think it would have worked with any other story. I like that you learned alot about people like SHEPARD WAS MARRIED!, Ronnan had a girlfriend, Lorne paints (finaly something about his past), Weir almost could have fallen in love, Rodney can (though it pains me to say it) be a nice guy. I cried when Carson died and then he is standing on the peir with rodney.

And the last part that seems to be driving everyone crazy is Did Carson ascend(sp).

Mallozzi has said carson didn't ascend. I think he just got toasted and he's dead, and i have no idea how they're going to bring him back for two episodes in season 4.

And Shep was once married? I figure it was early on in his career and career won out over marriage so they got divorced.

Would have been a great episode if not for the ending.

Maybe I'm just not the type of viewer they are seeking. I find it ashame that they have such an outstanding cast and they cannot make it work with the extreme amount of talent they have in front of them. I've grown tired of wondering who will be next to go. How much time will be wasted introducing us to the next newbie who is at as much risk as the previous "veteran" of the show? It's hard to be entertained when you're left wondering, will my fave character be the next to get canned. From reading spoilers, I can say that yes, it does look like one of my faves will be next.

I think this episode would have been great, and one I would watch more than once. However, the ending is extremely regrettable and extremely disappointing.

The writers/producers these days just like to kill characters. It's a stupid thing, becuase viewers often times like to enjoy characters, and if anyone can be willy-nilly bumped off, why bother getting enthralled with a show? I mean, if I want people dead left and right, heck, i'd watch 24. In ye olden days, you could write suspenseful dramas without having to kill off the regulars. Wonder why writers can't do it now??

PG15
June 2nd, 2007, 03:11 PM
I guess I'm just more open-minded when it comes to weird scifi ideas. Exploding tumors? Sure. Fuzzy balls capable of reproducing fast enough to fill up entire spaceships just by eating grain? Fine. People becoming pure not-mass energy? What the heck.

;)

Hatusu
June 2nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
The death of a major character, that we love, should be for something more meaningful, and believable than exploding tumors. It was almost ludicrous.

That said, the scene between McKay and his date and the epilogue between Beckett and McKay were nice.

CalmStorm
June 2nd, 2007, 03:59 PM
The writers/producers these days just like to kill characters. It's a stupid thing, becuase viewers often times like to enjoy characters, and if anyone can be willy-nilly bumped off, why bother getting enthralled with a show? I mean, if I want people dead left and right, heck, i'd watch 24. In ye olden days, you could write suspenseful dramas without having to kill off the regulars. Wonder why writers can't do it now??

I watch a show because of the characters and the character growth. The reason I stayed tuned to SG1 for so long was not because of the "great" story telling, it was because of the characters. I wanted to see their next adventure and their reactions to situations. It is not necessarily the story, or story arc I was interested in. When it comes to stories and story arcs, I want them to be character related and driven. I don't want the characters to "step out of character" in order to accommodate a story that does not fit. I don't want to see the main cast be so replaceable. It's just become disappointing for me.

nowvoyager908
June 2nd, 2007, 04:18 PM
I guess I'm just more open-minded when it comes to weird scifi ideas. Exploding tumors? Sure. Fuzzy balls capable of reproducing fast enough to fill up entire spaceships just by eating grain? Fine. People becoming pure not-mass energy? What the heck.

;)

LOL. I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them. But there is something sad (read pathetic) about offing a favorite character with an exploding tumor. Silly, little (mostly dead) tribbles tumbling out of a compartment onto Kirk's head seems almost poetic in comparison. :cool:

Krysti
June 2nd, 2007, 04:21 PM

That's pretty much my philosophy on things. This is science fiction, after all. I don't find exploding tumors any less believable than creatures who can suck the life out of you with their hands.

The death of a major character, that we love, should be for something more meaningful, and believable than exploding tumors. It was almost ludicrous.

As angry as I am that they killed Carson, I still don't find his death meaningless. He died doing what he does best - saving lives. If he hadn't done what he did, more people could have died. As a doctor, he couldn't accept that. I don't think that dying from an exploding tumor makes Carson any less of a hero or that it makes his death any less meaningful.

prion
June 2nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
;)

well, there's a limit to open mindedness ;) tumors that explode, well, okay, but tumors that create conflagarations that blow out walls? I don't think the writers listened very well in high school biology ;)

PG15
June 2nd, 2007, 05:10 PM
They don't need to when alien technology is involved...unless you know how that thing worked. ;)

acdj31
June 2nd, 2007, 06:00 PM
Exploding tumors?? I mean :comeon:!!!! Maybe if TPTB made the ep a two parter like they did with "Heroes"(SG1) they might have come up with a better jeopardy for Atlantis.

But other than the tumors,(and Carson dying) I loved this ep. I liked how we got to see a little bit of background for some of the characters.
Also it was nice to see Katie back again I hope tptb bring her back not just as Rodney's girlfriend but have a story for her.

ladyjanus

I was thinking the samething I had to do a double take.

Long Live Carson Beckett. May he live long in reruns and fanfiction.
:beckettanime04::beckettanime04::beckettanime04:

WhiteWereTiger
June 2nd, 2007, 08:01 PM
It's funny how diverse we are in our opinions of this ep. Here's mine.

I think this ep was done beautifully! Carson died doing what he does, saving lives. In Critical Mass he told Teyla "You have to understand, Teyla, that as a doctor I can't just stand by here and let her die. I took an oath to preserve life." that IMO is exactly what he did. Some say it was pointless, but, to me it wasn't. The character development was great. We find out Shep was married, is that REALLY so shocking? Jack on 24 was married, Jack SG-1 was married, evidently Gen. Hammond was married or else he wouldn't have had grandchildren. Ronan didn't really say if it was a girfriend or what, John asked if it was a wife, he said "close enough". Could mean it was a fiance. Exploding tumors, hard pill to swallow? No, not in sci-fi. I've never watched Grey's Anatomy so I wouldn't know if this was taken from that or not. If we broaden the look at ALL shows, what story hasn't been told a million times with different settings and circumstances? Time Travel for instance, how many movies and TV shows have done it? Too many to count. All the interactions were good. John teaching Ronan something of Earth, Ronan teaching John a game from Sateda (supposedly), Rodney and Katie having a soft moment, Weir on a date, Lorne painting. The end of it, VERY VERY touching. The way it was done, was almost near perfect. I'm sure most of us can relate cause we've been there. I know I have. Just like John, the full impact of what happened won't hit until a later date. Like I seen someone point out, no he didn't ascend. There was a body to be taken back to Earth. In the past those that ascended, their bodies turned into pure energy. The touching moment on the pier at the very end with Rodney talking to Carson. Some think it was his ghost or spirit. As a person that has visited grave sites of my family, I stand there and talk to them. Who hasn't? Finally, I cried like a lil baby. Carson was a fav of mine. I hated to see him go, but, such is life. We take time in real life to get to know someone, start caring for them, and in some instances they're gone without warning. *HUGS* to those that say they're through because of this. I've watched SG-1 through it's twists and turns, so shall I keep on watching SGA. I give this ep 10/10

Fargater
June 2nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :( :(

If you had a crying-its-eyes-out smilie I`d be using it.

MIZA
June 2nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
yeah that was a good episode " Sunday" , not excellent because Carson died , but good, i really enjoyed seeing the interaction between Ronon and John that was cool , especially when he said the " or man" Ronon is like WTF ???

Willow'sCat
June 2nd, 2007, 09:46 PM
I think you said it best MIZA, the episode is not 'excellent' (to some) purely because Carson died. Some would hate it anyway, fair enough and I love it whether Carson is dead in reality or not, but it is sad to me when people use Carson dying as the only reason to really hate the episode in total... their right, but it to me belittles the great acting that was here including that from Paul McGillion, and the wonderful script from Martin Gero.

Again people can say what they want, no skin off my nose, heck I hated Tao, but you know I hated parts of M&MM too, but in the end even I have to admit Martin Gero did a wonderful job with that episode. Fair dues.

newbiegater
June 2nd, 2007, 09:53 PM
Sad episode, but I think they did it well. I'd compare it to Heroes parts 1 and 2 in SG-1. I wish they hadn't switched the times around so much; that was a bit confusing. But, overall, I think they did a good job. Especially with how much they had Carson in the episode. He's just such a nice guy. Until I read these posts, I thought he'd ascended.

Sue_Jackson
June 3rd, 2007, 05:52 AM
Okay, I think I can finally talk about the episode now. It took me almost a whole day to get over that horrible incident.

Well, I thought that the episode was really really good. I did not see *gulps* Carson's death (still hard to say) coming at all. It was so sudden that I was honestly and completely shocked. It kind reminded me of SG-1's Heroes 1 & 2. Where part 1 was the light hearted side of the story, and then part 2 was the downer when Janet Frasier died. Except, with Sunday, it was all in one episode. I mean I was loving it with the different character development plots. It was nice seeing the crew all relaxed learning their favorite hobbies and interests. Hey.....who knew Major Lorne could paint. :) Also, it ws nice hearing Joe Mallozzi's name mentioned in the show....."Dr. Mallozzi?" ;)

But, I seriously thought that Carson would get out okay. I had no idea. What was about to happen to him. I mean, after that horrible incident with Carson, I was crying.....I mean literally sobbing with tears gushing out of my eyes....till the end of the episode. I liked Rodney and Ronon moment. I thought was really nice. I felt so bad for Rodney has he felt responsible, and I thought it was really touching when Ronon was consoling Rodney. That was a nice moment. I also loved the moment with Rodney and Carson's spirit. That was touching beyond words.

I'm still completely stunned. :(

Martin Gero did a marvleous job. :weiranime17:

nowvoyager908
June 3rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
I think you said it best MIZA, the episode is not 'excellent' (to some) purely because Carson died. Some would hate it anyway, fair enough and I love it whether Carson is dead in reality or not, but it is sad to me when people use Carson dying as the only reason to really hate the episode in total... their right, but it to me belittles the great acting that was here including that from Paul McGillion, and the wonderful script from Martin Gero.

Again people can say what they want, no skin off my nose, heck I hated Tao, but you know I hated parts of M&MM too, but in the end even I have to admit Martin Gero did a wonderful job with that episode. Fair dues.

I understand your frustration, but an ending that a viewer considers to be _______ (fill in the blank . . . lame, contrived, stupid, lazy, tacked-on, out of left field, etc.) can overshadow and ruin the entire viewing experience. And if the bulk of the episode showed some promise, a really bad ending can leave even more of a bad taste.

Personally, I felt that Carson was photoshopped into the story, as if he was an afterthought in his own swan song. I read a post a while back which stated that it felt like the episode had been written before TPTB decided to kill off Carson and when the decision was made to do the dirty deed, they added him in to already planned scenes. It reminded me of an old Woody Allen movie, where Allen inserted his main character into famous scenes in history. He was part of the action and definitely not part of the action at the same time. LOL.

Sorry, the whole episode just left me angry. And unless I'm watching a documentary about war, or global warming or Paris Hilton (as if), I don't want my viewing experience to leave me feeling angry. ;)

mcbarr
June 3rd, 2007, 09:36 AM
If Dr. Beckett hadn't ended up incinerated in this episode, I would have considered it one of the best (possibly THE best) ep of the season.

Hatusu
June 3rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
I understand your frustration, but a ending that a viewer considers to be _______ (fill in the blank . . . lame, contrived, stupid, lazy, tacked-on, out of left field, etc.) can overshadow and ruin the entire viewing experience. And if the bulk of the episode showed some promise, a really bad ending can leave even more of a bad taste.

Personally, I felt that Carson was photoshopped into the story, as if he was an afterthough in his own swan song. I read a post a while back which stated that it felt like the episode had been written before TPTB decided to kill off Carson and when the decision was made to do the dirty deed, they added him in to already planned scenes. It reminded me of an old Woody Allen movie, where Allen inserted his main character into famous scenes in history. He was part of the action and definitely not part of the action at the same time. LOL.

Sorry, the whole episode just left me angry. And unless I'm watching a documentary about war, or global warming or Paris Hilton (as if), I don't want my viewing experience to leave me feeling angry. ;)
There was that feeling about it, however I watched the episode again last night and I did like the it better. I liked the Noah Wyle look alike that had the lunch date with Weir. I hope we see him again. I was able to relax and enjoy all the little vignettes a little more. Everyone's performance was excellent in this episode and all the little romances were very natural. I still would have liked a more believable death for Carson.

I noticed that McKay told Ronan that they were going to take "A body" home to Carson's family. "A" body, not "his" body or Carson's body. That's an odd way to say it. :S Were they already leaving am opening for themselves to write a return? Was the epilogue real and not imagined by McKay? Maybe I'm reading too much into an artistic touch, but Carson IS returning next year. :cool:

I was thinking... a painting of Atlantis at sunset would look great over my sofa. :)

Krysti
June 3rd, 2007, 12:24 PM
I noticed that McKay told Ronan that they were going to take "A body" home to Carson's family. "A" body, not "his" body or Carson's body. That's an odd way to say it. :S Were they already leaving am opening for themselves to write a return? Was the epilogue real and not imagined by McKay? Maybe I'm reading too much into an artistic touch, but Carson IS returning next year.

McKay said "the body", so I'm assuming that he did mean that Carson's body was the one they were taking to his family.

Hatusu
June 3rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
McKay said "the body", so I'm assuming that he did mean that Carson's body was the one they were taking to his family.
Maybe I misheard. I taped over the episode. You were able to check this? When did you view the episode?

Falcon Horus
June 3rd, 2007, 12:42 PM
Maybe I misheard. I taped over the episode. You were able to check this? When did you view the episode?

Just checked it and Rodney clearly says 'the body'.

prion
June 3rd, 2007, 01:17 PM
It was a well-executed episode. It's just that many fans just don't cotton to seeing a character they like being incinerated by an exploding tumor (or just, well, being KILLED). I'm not sure why writers on TV these days find they must kill off characters. I mean, they could kill off any of the characters - Shep, Rodney, etc. etc,. and the writing would be good, but I'd still be pissed if the cahracters stayed dead. Temporary death and then being brought back is okay ("38 minutes") but permanent pushing-up-daisies death. Sick of it.

garhkal
June 3rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
As angry as I am that they killed Carson, I still don't find his death meaningless. He died doing what he does best - saving lives. If he hadn't done what he did, more people could have died. As a doctor, he couldn't accept that. I don't think that dying from an exploding tumor makes Carson any less of a hero or that it makes his death any less meaningful.

Correct. Both he and that one asian chick KNEW what they were getting into, when they cleared the room out, put it on lockdown, and stayed there doing what they do best... trying to save others. IMO there is no better way for a doc to go out..

I'm not sure why writers on TV these days find they must kill off characters. I mean, they could kill off any of the characters - Shep, Rodney, etc. etc,. and the writing would be good, but I'd still be pissed if the cahracters stayed dead. Temporary death and then being brought back is okay ("38 minutes") but permanent pushing-up-daisies death. Sick of it.

I am the opposite. i get sick and tired when our heroes and heroins go through so much trials and hecktick ness, without dying. Which is why this and heroes ranks up there on my fave list.

EdenSG
June 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
I loved it.
I hated it.

Loved the day off concept, the character interaction and revelations, the funeral, and Rodney’s reaction to and conversation with Carson at the end.

Hated it because Carson died. Though I knew what was coming, it still hit hard.

There was much in this episode that I thought was beautifully done. The day off concept allowed us to see how the characters spend their time off, see them goofing around, see them interacting with each other on a different level other than a mission. There was character development and a few interesting revelations. I’ll join everyone else and say “Sheppard was married!?!”

I thought the exploding tumor was a very interesting concept. I find it as plausible as many other scifi concepts not the least of which is walking into a round gate, into a wormhole, dematerializing and then rematerializing as exiting into another galaxy. One of the interesting things I saw about it was that the tumors were the result of yet another Ancient experiment gone wrong. They used radiation to send particles into the body that are programmed to use existing chemicals/minerals in the body to “build” explosive tumors – I would presume like a bio-weapon to “infect” their enemies? That type of concept for a weapon alone should generate a lot of discussion. I will add that researchers are currently looking for ways to reprogram cells or alter cells in other ways to fight disease or build new tissue. So to me the concept reprogramming cells to do something else is interesting and not so far fetched; but I have worked in the field of medical research and nursing for quite a while so I like that kind of stuff.

Carson’s death was so sad. I know it has been commented that Carson deserved more; a bigger more important reason for dying. And I can see this point of view. For a character as loved and as important as Carson, one wants to have his death to serve a greater purpose. A part of me feels that way. However I do think the way the writers chose to write his death was perfect for what Carson Beckett stood for both as a physician and a man. For as talented and brilliant as Carson was, he was a simple man who held true to his beliefs. He didn’t seek greatness or notoriety, he just did what he thought was best and what he thought was right. His upmost concern was always for someone else, to help them, to save them. He did this regardless of who the patient was, a good friend, a stranger, heck even a Wraith (reference to “Duet” when he approached the dart with the injured Wraith) He died doing what he lived to do – being a good person, a caring doctor who always put some one else’s life/needs ahead of his own. I think it was a fine tribute to the character of Dr. Beckett.

The other characters reactions to his death were heartfelt, interesting and provided further insight into each of them. Rodney feeling guilty ( he worries a lot and I think has a fear ff doing something wrong that would lead to dire consequences) – Ronon being stoic (never quite know how he feels) – Sheppard, “it hasn’t hit me yet, not looking forward to when it does” ( he always seems to suppress his feelings or at least has diffculty expressing them) – and Teyla, she wanted to honor Carson by being present and standing at his funeral ( honor and ceremony are important to her). I thought the funeral was touching. Weir struggling to find the right words – as many of us would. The time I almost lost it was the scene in Carson’s room when Rodney was packing up his stuff and Ronon came in. The last scene out on the Atlantis dock where Carson “appeared” to Rodney and they had their “talk” was both sweet and sad. My cheap 2 cents: I never thought it was actually Carson, just Rodney talking to him, much as you might see someone having a conversation with a deceased loved one at their gravesite. It is just that with TV you can actually “show” the deceased person for dramatic purposes.

All in all, it was a heartwarming, heartbreaking episode. I think it is one of the best Atlantis episodes to date but one that will be forever hard to watch.

kimaken
June 3rd, 2007, 05:37 PM
I am the opposite. i get sick and tired when our heroes and heroins go through so much trials and hecktick ness, without dying.

Yes, but ONLY the supporting characters get killed off--it's never the front line team members who are at risk, although they're ones who are always in the greatest danger. And if they do get killed off, it's only briefly until the reset button brings them back with no long-lasting effects. The only reason SG1's Daniel Jackson was killed/ascended was because the actor wanted to leave the show. I wouldn't have minded Carson dying if the actor wanted to leave, but that was not the case.

Like someone else said earlier, the episode felt like Carson was a last minute add-in (or photshopped into the episode) rather than a touching swan song for the character. In the end, it was all about Rodney (again)--his angst and feelings of guilt, etc. And what's worse is that Carson's death has no meaning; I bet next episode everything will be same as usual with no sense of loss, remorse, sadness, or mention of the loss of someone who was supposedly such a dear, close friend.

I'm sad Carson's gone. He was the reason I watched the show because when he and Rodney shared a scene, he seemed to tone down Rodney so he didn't seem so irritating and annoying. Now that he's gone, I won't be able to stand Rodney at all.

I hope Paul McGillion lands a meaty role in another show real soon--I'll gladly watch anything he's in, even without the Scots accent.

CalmStorm
June 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
I am the opposite. i get sick and tired when our heroes and heroins go through so much trials and hecktick ness, without dying. Which is why this and heroes ranks up there on my fave list.

Perhaps then the episode would have been all the more meaningful had it of been Shep or McKay to have had the swan song. They are the ones put through the ringer and most likely to be killed "in action."

With everything SG1 has been through, they are the ones most at risk at being killed, not Doc Fraiser. They want to make a point of the dangers they face, kill-off Carter or O'Neill. That's not going to happen though, they go for the kill on the good ole doctor.

With all that SGA has been through, it is most likely one of the main off-world team to be killed off, not good Dr. Beckett ...not the man who was concerned over wee baby turtles. However, take a recycled page from SG-1 and kill off the doc.

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2007, 04:49 AM
It's a shame that so many people will never like or appreciate what else this ep just because "They killed Carson! You *******s!"

I thought there were a lot of great character moments in this ep and while I like Carson and will miss him, I think his ending suited him. He died doing his job, what more can we ask? Other than him not dying. :rolleyes: I see a lot of "what a waste" type comments, but frankly I see that any time a character dies, no matter how good or bad that death is; no one wants to see their favorite character die and thus ANY death is a waste of that character. *shakes head*

Was the exploding tumor silly? Yeah, kinda, but no sillier than some other plot devices over the years. Ascension is just as ridiculous, IMO, but it's considered more acceptable because it's a way to "save" a character for later use. Personally, I think the fact that the Wraith can be turned into humans is asinine. I think it ruins them as a species (though I never liked them much in the first place) and I think the method of it is ridiculous. If "curing" a "disease" or mutating a species were as simple as giving someone a series of injections, don't you think it'd be put to better use? Curing cancer, for example? Cancer has been around for ages and it's still a major problem, but the Wraith, whom we've only known for a few years, we suddenly understand enough about them to "cure" them?! Yeah, right. Compared to that, exploding tumors are small potatoes. ;) And I gotta say, silliness aside, there's something a bit menacing about the idea of your body turning against you and killing you. But then, that's what most major diseases do.

prion
June 4th, 2007, 06:09 AM
I
Was the exploding tumor silly? Yeah, kinda, but no sillier than some other plot devices over the years. Ascension is just as ridiculous, IMO, but it's considered more acceptable because it's a way to "save" a character for later use. Personally, I think the fact that the Wraith can be turned into humans is asinine. I think it ruins them as a species (though I never liked them much in the first place) and I think the method of it is ridiculous. If "curing" a "disease" or mutating a species were as simple as giving someone a series of injections, don't you think it'd be put to better use? Curing cancer, for example? Cancer has been around for ages and it's still a major problem, but the Wraith, whom we've only known for a few years, we suddenly understand enough about them to "cure" them?! Yeah, right. Compared to that, exploding tumors are small potatoes. ;) And I gotta say, silliness aside, there's something a bit menacing about the idea of your body turning against you and killing you. But then, that's what most major diseases do.

I wouldn't compare cancer to an exploding tumor. It doens't seem the gates have a scientific advisor, or even google things half the time.

Perhaps then the episode would have been all the more meaningful had it of been Shep or McKay to have had the swan song. They are the ones put through the ringer and most likely to be killed "in action."

With everything SG1 has been through, they are the ones most at risk at being killed, not Doc Fraiser. They want to make a point of the dangers they face, kill-off Carter or O'Neill. That's not going to happen though, they go for the kill on the good ole doctor.

With all that SGA has been through, it is most likely one of the main off-world team to be killed off, not good Dr. Beckett ...not the man who was concerned over wee baby turtles. However, take a recycled page from SG-1 and kill off the doc.

Nah, killing off main characers is a cheap and cheesy way to boost ratings, albeit just for one episode. However, being a doctor means your lifespan is very limited in the SG universe. And yes, its' VERy similar to how they killed Janet. Do I want to see a main team member killed? Heck no, not unless they can bring 'em back realistically (CPR, etc.) I happen to LIKE the team members.

One thing I would like to know is what TPTB meant by 'shaking things up.' Besides pissing off the fans, that is ;)

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I wouldn't compare cancer to an exploding tumor. It doens't seem the gates have a scientific advisor, or even google things half the time.
I was saying that I think it's ridiculous that scientists have spent decades searching for a cure for cancer, but Carson manages to come up with a cure for Wraithism (which is new to us in itself) after a few short years.

I was also saying that exploding tumors are like some other incurable diseases in that they turn the body against itself. This time it's just a little more dramatic. ;)

And yeah, the gates don't seem to have advisors for ANYTHING these days, which explains a lot if you're inclined to think cynically. :P

Diesel Vanilla
June 4th, 2007, 06:51 AM
It's a shame that so many people will never like or appreciate what else this ep just because "They killed Carson! You *******s!"

Well, yeah it is a shame. I remember reading Martin Gero's comment in the first GW spoilers for Sunday that he had had this idea for a 'day off' kind of episode for a long time! Superb concept! That grabbed me immediately! Completely different kind of episode to what I'm used to.

And it did grab me! I loved seeing Ronon and Shep chatting away in Shep's quarters... and Rodney with Katie Brown... and Lorne painting... and Zelenka playing chess! Fantastic! But do I hate the way it ended by the incorporation of a significant character death? You betcha! I don't particularly appreciate that. I can appreciate why people feel it was tacked on. Gero (or was it Mallozzi) stated that Carson's demise wasn't added on during the actually writing of this ep - which is probably true, but I doubt very much that when Gero originally came up with the 'day off' idea that it included a character death - which is maybe why I thought it jarred a bit.

Whilst I can appreciate the episode in terms of the original concept of 'a day off' and the acting of it, I just can't appreciate the death. I think for many the death really does overshadow whether the episode was well executed or not. I think people are entitled to feel that way too. I also have to agree with Prion, I am desperate to know why Carson's death was considered as a way of shaking things up. If there was some kind of reason, maybe I could see some justification in axing McGillion, which is what they did. I can't disentangle the motives behind that with the actual episode, and I think many feel the same way - however well done the rest of the episode was done. For now, I find his demise wholly unjustified.

But then I'm just a viewer. :)

Silverwings
June 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
If I want to see a "day off" episode, I'll watch Threads. You know, where the dying happens first, then people take time off to recuperate.

If I want realism in my Sci-Fi... I'm nuts. Specifically, if death is realism, why are any of the leads still alive at all? And... why am I watching a show where a wormhole moves people about and doesn't reduce them to a steaming bit of mush in the process? I don't want realism. I want plausibility and real character moments.

That's the real tragedy of Sunday, I figure. It's got those lovely little character moments that make these shows interesting... but they are upstaged by a grandstanding death of a character, ostensibly as a ratings stunt. It was a bad idea. Maybe it was meant to satisfy the "action" quota of the show (lame in itself). Maybe it was a ploy for "realism" (exploding tumors being terribly realistic, and oh, so PC). I'm not sure.

Whatever the intent, though, it was a cheap shot, and totally unnecessary. When a show devolves to this sort of stunt to get ratings (which are still at an all time low, if I read correctly), it's already dying. Stargate deserves better than this, and more importantly, has been better than this.

I liken this whole PR stunt to the New Jedi Order. In an attempt to make the Star Wars universe "more interesting" and "darker", they killed Chewbacca in the first book of the series. They proceeded to write darker and messier stories, killing characters with little reason other than because they could. Doing so, they lost the heart of what kept people interested in Star Wars. People come back to these beloved universes not because they are real, but because they are interesting. They want to see the heroes win, even if it's by a miracle, because they are invested in the characters. The best stories aren't those where people die, they are where heroes succeed, despite trials, often death-defying ones.

If people want realism, PBS and the History channel have plenty of war documentaries. CNN has the Middle East. People die, yay. Blood and guts, woo hoo! Bottom line, war sucks. Why should we want to see the horrors or reality of war when we want entertainment? Some sick people will, sure, but again, that's not the way to keep the mainstream happy with your product.

I think it's fair to say that the lion's share of Sunday was fantastic. The tumor of the episode was far less than that, however. Overall? It's got the bad aftertaste of a free jelly doughnut with just a touch of arsenic. Great stuff, if you don't mind the bad parts.

prion
June 4th, 2007, 09:27 AM
lot[/i] if you're inclined to think cynically. :P

Maybe just one advisor, who sits there and goes 'kill off a character, it'll boost ratings.' ;)

Scarym1
June 4th, 2007, 09:30 AM
i was shocked when i was watching this episode.i did like the thing at the end. i was moved by it so i made twotribute wallpapers.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/carson_wall_ccopy.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/carson_wall_bcopy.jpg

Great wallpapers. I especially like the second one. This was one of the sadest eps ever. I thought it was exceptionally written. It had me laughing one moment and crying the next. I have watched it twice. The second time I had to look away just before the explosion. :sheppardanime32:

Margaret
June 4th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Exploding tumors?!!?

That's a put-on, right?

Oh, well, glad Carson went out like the hero he was. I knew he had it in him.

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Maybe just one advisor, who sits there and goes 'kill off a character, it'll boost ratings.' ;)

Would that be the one who also likes to say "Sex sells"?

Silverwings
June 4th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Would that be the one who also likes to say "Sex sells"?

Nah, he's working for BSG. ;)

ShadowMaat
June 4th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Nah, he's working for BSG. ;)

Double duty. ;) Or triple, I suppose, counting both gates. Although one is soon to be no more. :P

drjacksonfan
June 4th, 2007, 04:03 PM
i've made a few more sunday inspired wallpapers.please let me know what you think..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/sunday_wall_1bcopy.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/carson_wall_dcopy.jpg
same as above but flames are slightly different.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y209/stvoyagerfan21/carson_wall_2dcopy.jpg

Carter1994
June 5th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Well, I'd say awesome wallpaper, but due to the circumstances which they were made from, I'll have to say okay wallpaper. :(

Forestia
June 5th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I might have liked "Sunday". I enjoyed seeing the hobbies of the Atlantian's and some of the dialogue was amusing. However, because of one obvious reason, I think it was the worst Atlantis episode ever! I do not have any clue what the writers were thinking in killing off Carson. He is not expendable! I was mad when they killed off Janet in SG-1, but I thought with Carson there was no way they would try that again. I mean they made him a regular, only to get rid of him a season later? It's ridiculous! Carson is the empathetic one, the heart. I think we see that a bit with Teyla, but mostly with Carson, and you need that type of character. There is also his charm, and the chemistry he has with the other people. Carson can't be replaced. The whole dynamic of the show will change without him and I just don't think it will ever be as good.

sparklegem
June 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Does anyone else think it's weird that

spoilers for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
POTC's Beckett character died in almost the exact same fashion as our Beckett? Same camera view too.

Silverwings
June 6th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Odd indeed. Only one of those conflagrations happened to bother me, though. ;)

Love the sig, by the way.

Arga
June 11th, 2007, 05:05 AM
I just finished watching it...
I've read Carson was going to die this season, but I had no idea it would be in that episode!

To be honest, before I saw the last 15 min of it, I was thinking I was watching the first episode that I could qualify as pointlessly dumb script.
All these high-school-teenage-playground talks about who has a crush on who... *sigh*..

Then it started to build up some interesting suspense... but I didn't like the end :( Why did he have to be so brave?
Before it happened, I was already thinking "I bet it will explode the second the box would be put inside the strong container.. like in all movies"... I was indeed wrong!
It's weird how the explosion was filmed. We didn't see his body getting disintegrated & burnt.. I don't know if it means something like a possible return, or if it's just a way of shooting the scene.

Some positive points in that episode was for me the multi-angled view of scenes, with different flash backs, like a puzzle.
And that, like in real life, when it's too late, and someone dies, we always think we "should have gone fishing" with him and the accident wouldn't have happened.

I'll miss the kind personnality of Carson, and his accent!
It gave a sense of internationalization to the show.

Some questions...
I wonder how were the funerals of the 2 other people who died in the 2 explosions...
What happens to the golf balls, once they fall into the sea? (have they got an unlimitted supply, or do they come back, like pins in a bowling game?)...

Arga
June 11th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Some of the best writing in the series, eh?

PTB1: Okay, time to add a pinch of dramatic spice! We need a way to kill that Irish guy.
PTB2: Scottish, wasn't he?
PTB1: Oh right. So any ideas?
PTB2: He gets shot on a medical mission in the field.
PTB1: No, we did that with Janet on SG1.
PTB2: Since when has that ever stopped us?
PTB1: Well, I feel nice today so we'll give him a non-recycled death scenario.
PTB2: Okay, how could we introduce him to a dangerous element otherwise?
PTB1: He's in the medical room most of the time. What could be dangerous in there?
PTB2: There could be a patient with a deadly and contagious disease.
PTB1: No, not flashy enough. We need something flashy so the teenagers will watch. Like explosions.
PTB2: Well, what's going to explode in the operating room?
PTB1: Maybe he has to operate on guy who got hit with a magical beam gun that makes you explode when you least expect it.
PTB2: That would be a pretty sweet beam gun.
PTB1: Yeah, like - it creates an bomb in your body.
PTB2: Wait, didn't we do that with Cassandra in "Singularity".
PTB1: Damn! Okay, the magical beam could create a tumor that has to be operated on. That would make it more "medical", I think. The scottish guy was a surgeon, right?
PTB2: I think so.
PTB1: So he has to operate on it to save the guy, or something.
PTB2: But he knows it could explode AT ANY TIME! So that'd make him all heroic and stuff.
PTB1: Maybe if he's heroic enough in his last scene the lemming won't be so shrill about it.
PTB2: Okay, totally sweet. Episode written. Let's go watch some Dragon Ball Z for ideas on the season finale.
PTB1: Cool, I'll get the popcorn.

:lol:

Wait, you forgot a bit!

PTB1: Don't we need a B plot? Or maybe an A plot, since the exploding's not going to take very long.
PTB2: Um. Well, we have that script of Martin's we shot down last time. Something about a day off?
PTB1: Booooring.
PTB2: But with explosions?
PTB1: Well, as long as we put lots of hints of sex in it and at least two explosions. Can't get by on just one.
PTB2: And let's hurt Teyla right at the beginning, too, so we don't have to write too much for her.
PTB1: Sure. We do that all the time anyway.

I firmly believe the basic idea behind Sunday was already written out long before the "kill the doctor" part came up.

I have to congratulate you both!
:weiranime17:

ShadowMaat
June 11th, 2007, 06:57 AM
It's weird how the explosion was filmed. We didn't see his body getting disintegrated & burnt.. I don't know if it means something like a possible return, or if it's just a way of shooting the scene.
He died. They recovered a body (or bodies, if you include Bomb Squad Guy). They had a funeral (or three). He's dead. Undeniably.

Are you saying that you'd want to watch the flesh melt from Carson's body? Watch they pain contort his face as he tries to scream from lungs that are already on fire? That would be kinda sick and horrible, IMO. On some shows, maybe that would work, but personally I'd prefer to just see the wall of flames coming and know that Carson's a goner. I don't need to watch him die in horrible agony to know it's real.

What happens to the golf balls, once they fall into the sea? (have they got an unlimitted supply, or do they come back, like pins in a bowling game?)...
Stockpiled by the whales. Obviously. ;)

Pharaoh Atem
June 11th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Daedalus beams them out of the water :P

Arga
June 11th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Are you saying that you'd want to watch the flesh melt from Carson's body? Watch they pain contort his face as he tries to scream from lungs that are already on fire? That would be kinda sick and horrible, IMO. On some shows, maybe that would work, but personally I'd prefer to just see the wall of flames coming and know that Carson's a goner. I don't need to watch him die in horrible agony to know it's real.

Hell no, I wouldn't want either to see such a gore scene..
Poor Carson.. But It looked like he was floating unaffected in the flammes (or I need to watch that scene again). Maybe it was the slow motion, of the fire still behind him.
What I was wondering was if they intended to bring a doubt in his death, since they chose to show us Carson in the explosion, and not just a view of the area in fire, suggesting everybody was hit... Sometimes, we see buildings explode and we understand people are dead, but without actually seeing the bodies.

LoL for the golf balls answers!
:D
They might also do rescue missions with a puddle jumper.

ShadowMaat
June 11th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Yes, it was slow motion. The flames were coming up fast (relatively speaking) behind them. The producers stopped it before the flames engulfed him, but as far as I know there was never meant to be any doubt about him dying. Like I said, there was a BODY. They had a funeral. People cried. If there was any doubt about it, that wouldn't have happened.

And the scene at the end with Rodney and Carson was just Rodney imagining his friend there, not Carson actually literally being there. Because again, if that had been true then it would have been a bigger deal and it would have been specifically mentioned that he'd ascended or whatever.

I also figured that they showed us Carson with the flames rushing towards him so that there would be no doubt. Otherwise people would be all, "Oh, maybe he ducked into a side passage or something and the body they found was just some random other person burned beyond recognition. I figured it was as close as the producers could get to showing Carson burning to death without actually showing him on fire.

Silverwings
June 11th, 2007, 10:10 AM
...which seems like an odd bit of restraint, really. They wanted to kill somebody to "shake things up", but they only do so much? It just seems a bit schizophrenic. Not that I'm sympathetic to the "kill Carson" argument, but it didn't seem to have the punch (ratings boost) they seemed to have hoped for. If they are going for the shock and awe "makin' it real" crowd, this was a lame attempt. That crowd wants gore and explicit violence, not some pansy antiseptic explosion.

Considering this, and the "Aliens" episode as well as the "slasher flick homage" coming up, it seems to me that they have lost touch with the heart of Stargate (intelligent storytelling), as well as originality. It's just so much "me too" Sci-Fi drek.

Stargate's still pretty much the best Sci-Fi out there. It's just frustrating that it's been better, and that the producers seem content to sink into mediocrity.

ShadowMaat
June 11th, 2007, 02:38 PM
...which seems like an odd bit of restraint, really.
Really? Seems on par to me. They build up to something potentially shocking/amazing and then cop out at the last minute. I didn't have a problem with them not showing more of the violence of Carson's death (other than the fact that the scene itself seemed so obviously fake), but in general there've been a few times when I felt they built up to something only to back down and slink away and hit the Big Red Reset Button. Again. *headdesk*

Really, though, I had very few quibbles with Sunday. It's one of the few times I've felt like the characters are "real" people. We don't often get to see the human side of the characters so in that respect I think Sunday made a nice change of pace.

Silverwings
June 11th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Really? Seems on par to me. They build up to something potentially shocking/amazing and then cop out at the last minute. I didn't have a problem with them not showing more of the violence of Carson's death (other than the fact that the scene itself seemed so obviously fake), but in general there've been a few times when I felt they built up to something only to back down and slink away and hit the Big Red Reset Button. Again. *headdesk*

Really, though, I had very few quibbles with Sunday. It's one of the few times I've felt like the characters are "real" people. We don't often get to see the human side of the characters so in that respect I think Sunday made a nice change of pace.

Indeed. I don't have a problem with restraint on the violence thing. I appreciate it. It just seems like they've lost touch with what the audience likes, and they can't even seem to define what audience they are aiming for. Combined with the Big Red Reset Button... I'm not convinced that they even know what they like any more.

I would have loved to see a "day off" episode that was solely built to explore the characters. We see enough of their "action faces" during regular episodes, and this sort of relaxed thing is indeed a valuable change of pace. It helps to establish the characters, and make their world all the more interesting.

Injecting a bit of "yay, 'splosions!" and a stupid death just underscores that we do need to understand the people without all the fuss. And that the producers don't know how to write for them.

As I wrote before, for the most part, Sunday was excellent. Those character moments were great stuff.

LadyLord75
June 11th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I've just recently been able to see 'Sunday'...was pretty spoiled as to what happened, so, for me, it was just a matter of seeing how well it was done.
I've read so much negativity about it...
And was really pleased & surprised with it! Okay, not so much the end result, Carson was a favorite of mine from the beginning. But seeing the team on a day off was a nice change of pace and a nice 'little' bit of character development was appreciated.
Rodney & Carson at the end...just great stuff.
Season 3 has been so up & down...Sunday was a great ep.

singing tok'ra
July 1st, 2007, 01:17 PM
ok. i saw this the other day and i was in tears by the end of it. not only because it was really sad. it was because i knew this was the episode when beckett was gonna leave and i was waiting for it to come (i wasn't looking forward to his demise but anyway...) and when it was the last half of the ep, i knew he was gonna go bang with the tumor thing and i loved the whole thing....

i hope he comes back

*thinks*

:)

Emerald01
July 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
The producers stopped it before the flames engulfed him, but as far as I know there was never meant to be any doubt about him dying. Like I said, there was a BODY.
Rodney said they were sending back "a" body. The way he said it made it seem (to me) as though there wasn't really Carson's body to send back. With their resources, they could have manufactured some kind of body to send back for the funeral and whatnot. I agree, that they originally meant for there to be no doubt he was dead, but the possibility is open for Carson to have survived in some form.

Season 4 spoiler
We know that he's back in season 4, and TPTB have claimed he wouldn't be a replicator or alternate universe Carson. Real, flesh and blood Carson. So, whatever they sent back for a funeral wasn't Carson's body. Despite the initial (foolish) intentions of TPTB, Carson will be back. That is a fact. And a happy one at that. :)

Cheers!
Emerald

Falcon Horus
July 10th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Season 4 spoiler
We know that he's back in season 4, and TPTB have claimed he wouldn't be a replicator or alternate universe Carson. Real, flesh and blood Carson. So, whatever they sent back for a funeral wasn't Carson's body. Despite the initial (foolish) intentions of TPTB, Carson will be back. That is a fact. And a happy one at that. :)

Continuing the spoiler...

Real, flesh and blood Carson.

This can mean lots of things... Flashbacks involving Carson. Recordings made by the good doc like in Letters From Pegasus. AU-version Carson.

ShadowMaat
July 10th, 2007, 03:13 PM
*shrug* Who am I to argue with people who are utterly convinced they're right?

As far as I'm concerned the Carson we saw in Sunday is dead and all the supposed evidence to the contrary isn't going to change my mind.

Falcon Horus
July 10th, 2007, 03:39 PM
As far as I'm concerned the Carson we saw in Sunday is dead and all the supposed evidence to the contrary isn't going to change my mind.

Dead as a doornail. Six-feet under. Doc went boom. D-E-A-D, dead. :p

PG15
July 10th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Don't worry Shadow, I agree with you. ;)

Emerald01
July 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Fair enough. Feel free to leave this portion of the discussion. :p

Jenner8675309
July 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Continuing the spoiler...

Real, flesh and blood Carson.

This can mean lots of things... Flashbacks involving Carson. Recordings made by the good doc like in Letters From Pegasus. AU-version Carson.

Not true. Taken from the interview with Joe found at www.savecarson.com

Q: Will it be “our” Carson Beckett or an alternate version?

A: Well, I don’t want to give too much away but I can say it won’t be an AU version of Carson - or a time-hopping Dr. Beckett either.

Emerald01
July 10th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hi Jenner,

Thanks for finding that. I knew it was around somewhere, but since there's no convincing certain skeptics I didn't reckon it was worth digging for. Let's see... It's less than a year away. Wanna take bets on whether they complain about how he gets brought back? ;)

Cheers!
Emerald

Jenner8675309
July 10th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I know that sucker aka interview by heart for various reasons. It took me 2 seconds lol

Haha, we could, don't bookies get a decent cut??? ;)

OT Emerald you going to the SCB panel at Shore Leave?

Emerald01
July 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Jenner, I just saw your note about it in the SL thread. I am planning to be there, unless it's the only time to show anyone A Dog's Breakfast. That movie is priceless! :D

I'm so glad the campaign is going to be at SL. Most excellent!

So... I'm thinking that if it weren't for the exploding tumour thing (which honestly did come across as "We don't have enough time, and we're planning to kill Carson, so what can we do?") it was a very good episode. I've seen other shows do a "day in the life" kind of thing, and this was a lot of fun. It's a shame they had to mix in the silly exploding tumours.

I can't help wondering, however, whether I would feel differently if I hadn't known about the episode beforehand...

Cheers!
Emerald

ShadowMaat
July 10th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Don't worry Shadow, I agree with you. ;)

Kinda scary when that happens, isn't it? ;) Makes you wanna check to make sure the world isn't ending or something...

Jenner8675309
July 10th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Even without the exploding tumor and death of Carson, I thought it fell short. Great concept, but for me it seemed like a rough draft. Weir and her date had as much chemistry as two paper bags.

There were a couple of great, memorable lines though.

But to me, it seemed the death was a second thought, included only to shake things up, and forced in. It didn't seem to fit into the ep for me. But it may be me just still pissed it happened at all. I'll admit I am biased on that front :)

PG15
July 10th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Kinda scary when that happens, isn't it? ;) Makes you wanna check to make sure the world isn't ending or something...

What? Oh sorry, I couldn't hear you over the locking of my bomb shelter. ;)

Emerald01
July 10th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Weir and her date had as much chemistry as two paper bags.
I actually kind of thought that was the point. The guy was kind of cute and funny. But he didn't work for Weir. Sometimes a lack of chemistry can be important to characters, too. :)

Jenner8675309
July 10th, 2007, 10:24 PM
I actually kind of thought that was the point. The guy was kind of cute and funny. But he didn't work for Weir. Sometimes a lack of chemistry can be important to characters, too. :)

I thought weird and awkward was the point, and with that there can still be chemistry. JMO :)

Emerald01
July 10th, 2007, 10:27 PM
I thought weird and awkward was the point, and with that there can still be chemistry. JMO :)
Well, you know. Different strokes and all that... I keep meaning to re-watch the episode, but I have a really hard time with it, what with the whole Carson dying and all. :mckay: So I can't really remember much in the way of quotes...

Falcon Horus
July 11th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Not true. Taken from the interview with Joe found at www.savecarson.com

Q: Will it be “our” Carson Beckett or an alternate version?

A: Well, I don’t want to give too much away but I can say it won’t be an AU version of Carson - or a time-hopping Dr. Beckett either.

Time-hopping and flashback aren't the same thing. ;)

Emerald01
July 11th, 2007, 03:18 PM
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :D

Falcon Horus
July 11th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I guess we'll just have to wait and see. :D

Yup, but in any case I'm just glad we will be hearing that lovely Scottish accent again.

Emerald01
July 11th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Yup, but in any case I'm just glad we will be hearing that lovely Scottish accent again.
Yep. I'll take what I can get. You know... I just got a Tom Tom and paid for a "Scottish" voice. It sounds like Sean frickin' Connery! They need to hire Paul to do a Tom Tom voice. I'd love to get my directions from Carson. :D

Jenner8675309
July 11th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Very true but

JM said the door would be open after his return for more. I guess I am hoping that means "back" back not flashbacks

But you are right, wait and see :)

Aerilon
July 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
So.. I've just watched Sunday (again). I question whether he is actually 'dead' as we know it. Whilst the episode was ending, the possibility that he may not actually be dead hit me.

He was talking to Rodney. Yes, I know many people would say that Rodney was talking to an imaginary Carson, but what if he wasn't? What if Carson is actually an alien entity, that took Human form to maybe learn about Humans, and interact with them.

At the end of the episode, Rodney says to Carson that he may seem him some other time (as the universe is a big place). For all we knew, the writers planned to bring him back anyway, just they've not told us yet.

The only scenario I can think of, is that Carson 'died' at least in Human form. His Human remains were sent back to Earth, and he 'appeared' to Rodney, to say Goodbye before he continued his travels. For all we know, he has previously told Rodney that he isn't actually Human, and Rodney isn't allowed to tell anyone.. Ok, so maybe I am just bumping ideas together here.

But, Stargate being Stargate, and seeing things that we have, would this not be remotely possible?

s09119
July 12th, 2007, 12:29 PM
I'm sorry, but...

IT'S CARSON lol. No Car"l"son. Just "Car", followed by "son".

:beckett:

Daniel Jackson
July 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
The thread title is a spoiler for the syndicated viewers. :rolleyes:

I like the idea that Carson may have always been an Ancient that had assumed a Human identity: Carson Beckett. However, if he had ascended, there wouldn't have been a body left behind. In the past, we've seen that you have to alive in order to ascend. Orlin was still alive when he reascended. Daniel Jackson was also alive when he ascended. He flatlined, meaning his heart had stopped, but brain death had yet to occur. I guess Oma DeSalla wanted to wait until there was no turning back before ascending DJ.

Aerilon
July 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
IT'S CARSON lol. No Car"l"son. Just "Car", followed by "son".Corrected, thank you. :)

The thread title is a spoiler for the syndicated viewers.I would be shocked if there was a Stargate Atlantis fan that didn't know of Carson's death. It is all over the internet.

I like the idea that Carson may have always been an Ancient that had assumed a Human identity: Carson Beckett. However, if he had ascended, there wouldn't have been a body left behind.Ahem, I never said anything about him being an Ancient now, did I? I said an alien entity. ;)

What I am suggesting, is a new 'species' of alien, or 'entity'. Not an Ancient, not anyone who has Ascended. Just some other form of life.

Daniel Jackson
July 12th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I would be shocked if there was a Stargate Atlantis fan that didn't know of Carson's death. It is all over the internet.
My sister is a fan, yet she didn't know he was going to die until she sat down to watch "Sunday." Not all fans want to read spoilers. It's unwise to assume Carson's demise is common knowledge.

[QUOTE]Ahem, I never said anything about him being an Ancient now, did I? I said an alien entity. ;)
Ancients fall under the category as do the Jaffa. If you're not from Earth, you're an alien. Species, however, is a separate issue. :p

What I am suggesting, is a new 'species' of alien, or 'entity'. Not an Ancient, not anyone who has Ascended. Just some other form of life.
Why? What's the point? Really, either reveal he was an Ancient posing as a Human or just leave him Human. Anything else is too forced and convenient.

s09119
July 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
[QUOTE=Tycoon;6883354]
My sister is a fan, yet she didn't know he was going to die until she sat down to watch "Sunday." Not all fans want to read spoilers. It's unwise to assume Carson's demise is common knowledge.

Ancients fall under the category as do the Jaffa. If you're not from Earth, you're an alien. Species, however, is a separate issue. :p

Why? What's the point? Really, either reveal he was an Ancient posing as a Human or just leave him Human. Anything else is too forced and convenient.

I think he meant, on the spiler, that since it has aired he doesn't need to do it... And he's right.

PG15
July 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM
No, according to the rules of this forum, anything that's not yet in syndication in the US counts as a spoiler. Ergo, the title is a spoiler.

I've reported it to a mod; they should change it soon, and everything will be fine.

ShadowMaat
July 12th, 2007, 03:03 PM
There's a link up there under Omnipedia that says Rules. (http://forum.gateworld.net/faq.php?faq=faq_cat_basics#faq_rules) The second item in it, made all the more prominent by the fact that it's written in all caps, is SPOILERS. If you're going to comment on spoilers- or spoiler policy- it'd probably help to know what the rules are before you hit "post."

As for the Weir/Mike thing... I liked it. Yeah, it was a bit weird and awkward, but as others have said it was supposed to be that way. Or I thought it was, anyway, and I thought it worked well in context. It's a shame we aren't likely to see anything come of it. Probably won't see Mike again, either. Unless he's gonna flirt with Sam. :P

Daniel Jackson
July 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
The problem was the thread title, not the post content. However, it's a moot issue now that the thread has been merged into the "Sunday" thread.

zodden
July 24th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I have to say I am never prepared for this stuff. I try hard to make sure I know as little as possible spoiler wise and so I am always (by choice) one of the last to know a lot of stuff. I did read the "rumors" from way before the episode was even made of Carson leaving the show but I thought it was just that and never gave it a second thought.

So imagine my surprise when I am watching a nice "filler" episode which was all about character exploration and then all the sudden one of my favorite characters is suddenly killed off by an exploding tumor. I had Tivo this episode and watched it finally tonight for the first time.

I am still in a state of shock. Why did they have to kill him off? He was a great part of the show. They think this will help ratings somehow? I can't see how.

I am very sad and teared up at the end. Reminded me of the end of Star Trek 2 which was also very sad.

RIP CARSON!

and btw: Unless Carson is already an ancient who was living among humans I can't see how he can ascend. You either have to be a very special person with great powers or have somebody who is already ascended help you like daniel and the people of abidos did. Or be training for it for many many years like most of the ancients. You don't just ascend. Thats just my take.

O well Atlantis is becoming like 24. People dying or getting the boot left and right. I don't mind it on 24 as Jack is the only one who really matters but I do mind it on shows that revolve around a "team"

firefly30
July 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I avoid spoilers if I can, hence me staying away from this forum for such a long time, but I did know that Beckett was being killed off before I saw Sunday. I couldn't believe it. :( Things need to move in a show, things need to change but why kill off one of your most popular characters?? :confused:

BTW, does anyone else, when re-watching the ep, still hope it will somehow turn out differently?? I do.... :rolleyes: :)

*Oda*
July 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
BTW, does anyone else, when re-watching the ep, still hope it will somehow turn out differently?? I do.... :rolleyes: :)

I hope that too every time I watch it. It's silly, really. I knew about his death before I watched it, because I read one of the spoilers and when I watched it, I still hoped, he wouldn't die. As he successfully removed the tumor, I said to myself "Maybe I got it wrong, maybe it's not Carson ". Well, I got it right unfortunately. :(

Still I love Sunday because of all the drama and emotions that's filling the scenes towards the end. *sniff*

Alexandra
August 3rd, 2007, 01:07 AM
The plot was not very bad, I think that the ides of tumor inducer machine is original.
But I feel like the whole episode was meant to lead to Carson's death.
Which is horrible by the way and I will never forgive the tptb for that!

The only thing that I liked was that I learned something more about the characters, even if it was just a little bit, and that I saw that Atlantis is becoming more settled; they decide there is time to take a day off once in a while, do some stuff for their own pleasure. So that opens an oportunity to show us more of their private life. That I like.

smcahee
August 5th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I liked the 'day off' premise of the episode and even the 'timeline shifting', but let me get this straight...radiation that alters your genetics to make an explosive tumor in your chest? Were they trying to outdo Star Trek:TNG for the stupidest way to kill off a character? This is worse than Tasha Yar being killed by the 'Skin of Evil' Tar Monster!

Alipeeps
August 25th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Some interesting info on Sunday from David Hewlett's recent interview in TV Zone magazine:

Although it was difficult for Hewlett to say goodbye to his friend and fellow Atlantis cast-mate Paul McGillion at the end of the season three episode Sunday, he was glad to have the chance to shoot the final scene between McKay and Dr Beckett.

"Filming that last scene with paul was quite subdued," recalls the actor. "We'd goof around all the time, no matter how serious the scenes were. Even in Sunday where we lost Paul's character, he goofed around to the end; that's Paul. However, prior to us shooting that little tag scene at the conclusion of Sunday, everyone was laughing and saying, 'Oh, David and Paul on a blue screen. Like that's not going to be goofy.' And it actually ended up being kind of morose and really quite depressing. That said, it seemed like a suitable send-off for Paul and his character, and it was heartfelt.

Mild spoilers for Season 4:
"Of course, the other thing, and the most important thing, is that Paul will be returning for two episodes this season. I haven't seen him for ages. I've been storing up the abuse since he left, so by the time he gets back I intend on destroying him," jokes Hewlett.

Falcon Horus
August 26th, 2007, 05:03 AM
Continuing the mild season 4 spoiler...

Paul is a dead man. :p

Apollodragon
September 22nd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I just saw the show this week since I don't have cable and I buy the DVDs. I even angrier now since I have seen the episode then when I had heard about Carson’s death. When it was first got out that Carson had died I was not happy since he is one of my fav. characters but I never read the whole spoiler to find out how he died. I felt episode had a lot of good parts and bad parts. I loved the whole idea of getting to now the characters beyond just doing missions. I kind of felt like the writer Martin Gero and the casting director took some notes from ER on this episode the actor who played Dr. Weir’s date reminded me to much of Noah Wyle and also a explosion also happened right out side the surgical room just like ER when some patient was rigged with a bomb. The idea of exploding tumors felt to fake to me, it is like Martin Gero just used the first thing that popped into his head instead of thinking it over.

Pro
Character development
Character backgrounds
Brought back a couple of characters

Cons
Carson’s death
The explosion that killed Carson was to fake looking
Weir’s date
Explosion outside the surgical room is not new both in the TV world and real world

PG15
September 23rd, 2007, 12:12 AM
Explosion outside the surgical room is not new both in the TV world and real world

Seriously? So does your local hospital explode frequently?

:p

Apollodragon
September 23rd, 2007, 01:52 PM
Seriously? So does your local hospital explode frequently?

:p

No it dosen't happen often but it has happened in the past such as idiots smoking while on oxygen

PG15
September 23rd, 2007, 01:59 PM
Wow, seriously.

That IS stupid. :eek:

Falcon Horus
September 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
....it is like Martin Gero just used the first thing that popped into his head instead of thinking it over.

Small note on the side: This was not how Martin Gero invisioned the episode to be. It wasn't his idea to turn it into a dramatic plot. He only offered the idea about what the expedition would do if they had a day off. The others twisted and turned his idea in what it was on screen, only a fraction of what he had in mind.

Trek_Girl42
September 26th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Am I going to get shot for saying how much I LOVED this ep? :confused:

*proceeds with caution* :)

I love Carson. He ties for my second favourite character. And that's the whole point! We love him! He died! That's storytelling! I cried buckets at the end (and the other family members watching with me were tearful), and I wouldn't change this ep for anything. The entire thing was beautifully laid out. Who cares what it was specifically that killed him. I care about the fact of who Carson was, the job he was doing, and what it all meant to his friends. He died in the line of duty, like Janet, and he didn't even have to be there; that's where it counts. He's an amazing character, and sometimes amazing characters have to die. It's a fact of fiction. Whatever arguements can be used- it's a ratings ploy, etc. But whatever the initial intent behind the death was, I think the final result was pulled off with a great deal of grace and it was an emotionally resonent send-off for a wonderful and loved character. The final scene between Beckett and Mckay was perfectly enigmattic- I love that. And the memorial was extremely difficult to watch- which is good!

There's nothing worse than watching a character die and going, well who cares? I think the amount of controversy and outrage that has been stirred up by this is a testament to both the character of Carson, and Paul. We love the character and we show it. But that doesn't mean that the characters that we love shouldn't die.

In otehr brief thoughts, I love all teh little character interactions we had throughout teh ep- and I wanted to twack everyone who turned down Carson's fishing offer over the head. Loved the golf, the chess, all the little character moments. Very nicely done. My hat is off to Mr. Gero. :)

All in all, a fantastic ep. Certainly one of my favourites. I'm sure a rather.....unpopular opinion. ;)

PG15
September 26th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Eh, unpopular or not, I loved it too. Definitely an unique Stargate episode.

MmmmMcKAy
October 2nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
Awwww, I loved this episode too. :):(

Interesting structure with the 3 hours earlier, 5 hours earlier etc method.

Poor Carson just couldn't get his fishing trip off the ground.

Also liked seeing Atlantis on a day off, seeing people's hobbies/loves.

I actually like Katie here. I thought her and Rodney were sweet together. I never thought I'd say that.

The final scene really got to me. I cried like a baby. David Hewlett does a fine job.

garhkal
October 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM
I wonder if Carson went to the Jack oneil school for days off... what with their love of fishing.

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
October 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
If only O'Neill had been there....

A great but terrible episode, great storytelling - all the little moments between characters, lots of character development, but terrible in that one of my favourite characters died! Never cried so much while watching Stargate! :(

Tith
October 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
I've recently gotten my sister into Stargate, she's watched SG1 on DVD, then started on Atlantis.

And just watched Sunday. For once I contained myself and said nothing about it. SHe actually cried. My sister is a tough cookie, total tom-boy. But the loss of Carson like that did her in. She's full of speculation about how he comes back.
As am I.

Trek_Girl42
October 3rd, 2007, 03:49 PM

A great but terrible episode, great storytelling - all the little moments between characters, lots of character development, but terrible in that one of my favourite characters died! Never cried so much while watching Stargate! :(
Me too- and I thought I'd cried a lot during the SG-1 series finale. :S

Poor Carson- Jack would have gone fishing with him in an instant, throughout the entire ep I kept yelling at the screen to all of the characters- make time to go with him! :(

Oh, and I love that Lorne paints. That was nice. :)

garhkal
October 4th, 2007, 02:48 PM
:(

Yea, why has oneil not done anything with carson?? They both share a favortie passtime (fishing)... iirc he has only spent time with wier and shep.

GeneralO'Neil
October 6th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I loved this espode to see everyone on R & R. But, it was sad to see carson passing it way. it was a intersting ending where rodney was out there looking and carson's spirt was there talking to him. It is a truely a unquie and class eposide of atlantis. I'll be missing carson after I saw this eposide.

Jill_Ion
October 15th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Since I was lurking about here when this ep first aired, there was no way to avoid the spoiler of Carson dying. But I kept it to myself, and never even hinted to my hubby so when we watched the ep on DVD or syndication, it would be a surprise for him. (Not a great surprise, but at least not spoiled.)

I thought this was a very interesting episode. Paul was absolutely wonderful in this ep. Great acting job!!! :beckett:

I really liked the character development and seeing sides and situations we're not used to - the Team relaxing...being human...people off of work!

I read the first five or six pages of this thread - damn, we fans had a lot to say, eh? - so got the gist of the original viewers. I also went to the main GW page and looked at the fan ratings. This ep evoked a lot of strong emotions in the fans - which I believe was the intention. Maybe the fans for whom Sunday made SGA jump the shark was not the full intention of TPTB, but it was a wake-up call. Life is beautiful. And it sucks. We can kick some alien ass. And people die.

I think Carson's death was not a waste. He saved his patient, a fellow doctor, and their surgery by taking the "bomb" out of the room. Yeah, I know. Things can be replaced. But if someone needed the surgery before the equipment was replaced, then that patient would die. I'm sure Carson didn't think he would be caught in the explosion once he handed it off to the bomb expert, but what he did was very, very brave. And I felt sad for the bomb expert dying, and the other people too. We shouldn't assume they weren't given a proper sendoff, just because it wasn't shown.

My hub was even affected by Carson's death. He feels sad when a character dies, but it seemed to me this one hit him harder than most fictional deaths on TV. (Good job again, Paul!) I had tears during the funeral and McKay's "talk" with Beckett at the end. Beautiful!

The shippy/fun moments in the ep were very nice. I enjoyed seeing some character development! :) I don't ship any character set, so I'm not putting anyone together, except who I saw on screen. The actor who played Mike looked like a brunet/brown-eyed Matthew McConaughey. Nice! :) Seeing Shep in dress blues was amazing - and a wish of mine - but I wish again it was under better circumstances!!!

And about Shep being previously married? What's the big deal? People get married/divorced for lots of reasons. If you dislike Shep, you'll use it as an excuse to bash him - as seen in this thread. But I am not laying any blame anywhere until we get the details (S4!).

I thought it was sweet that Ronon isn't ready to move on yet. That man has levels. And a beautiful smile. :ronan:

Trek_Girl42
October 16th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Since I was lurking about here when this ep first aired, there was no way to avoid the spoiler of Carson dying. But I kept it to myself, and never even hinted to my hubby so when we watched the ep on DVD or syndication, it would be a surprise for him. (Not a great surprise, but at least not spoiled.)

I thought this was a very interesting episode. Paul was absolutely wonderful in this ep. Great acting job!!! :beckett:

I really liked the character development and seeing sides and situations we're not used to - the Team relaxing...being human...people off of work!

I read the first five or six pages of this thread - damn, we fans had a lot to say, eh? - so got the gist of the original viewers. I also went to the main GW page and looked at the fan ratings. This ep evoked a lot of strong emotions in the fans - which I believe was the intention. Maybe the fans for whom Sunday made SGA jump the shark was not the full intention of TPTB, but it was a wake-up call. Life is beautiful. And it sucks. We can kick some alien ass. And people die.

I think Carson's death was not a waste. He saved his patient, a fellow doctor, and their surgery by taking the "bomb" out of the room. Yeah, I know. Things can be replaced. But if someone needed the surgery before the equipment was replaced, then that patient would die. I'm sure Carson didn't think he would be caught in the explosion once he handed it off to the bomb expert, but what he did was very, very brave. And I felt sad for the bomb expert dying, and the other people too. We shouldn't assume they weren't given a proper sendoff, just because it wasn't shown.

My hub was even affected by Carson's death. He feels sad when a character dies, but it seemed to me this one hit him harder than most fictional deaths on TV. (Good job again, Paul!) I had tears during the funeral and McKay's "talk" with Beckett at the end. Beautiful!

The shippy/fun moments in the ep were very nice. I enjoyed seeing some character development! :) I don't ship any character set, so I'm not putting anyone together, except who I saw on screen. The actor who played Mike looked like a brunet/brown-eyed Matthew McConaughey. Nice! :) Seeing Shep in dress blues was amazing - and a wish of mine - but I wish again it was under better circumstances!!!

And about Shep being previously married? What's the big deal? People get married/divorced for lots of reasons. If you dislike Shep, you'll use it as an excuse to bash him - as seen in this thread. But I am not laying any blame anywhere until we get the details (S4!).

I thought it was sweet that Ronon isn't ready to move on yet. That man has levels. And a beautiful smile. :ronan:
Beautifully put. :) I envy your husband in not knowing what would happen ahead of time! :P

Mckay's talk at the end devastated me- even the second time, I saw this ep for the second time the other day, and it broke me at the end, again. :beckett: :mckay:

It is so beautifully done- it really is a shame that the news of Paul's departure was leaked so early on, because the level of impact that this episode has is amazing, and it would have added just that much more if we hadn't known.....

Jill_Ion
October 16th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Beautifully put. :) I envy your husband in not knowing what would happen ahead of time! :P

Mckay's talk at the end devastated me- even the second time, I saw this ep for the second time the other day, and it broke me at the end, again. :beckett: :mckay:

It is so beautifully done- it really is a shame that the news of Paul's departure was leaked so early on, because the level of impact that this episode has is amazing, and it would have added just that much more if we hadn't known.....

I agree. I wish I hadn't known. I think DH's acting when packing Beckett's stuff, as well as at the end, was excellent. You could see McKay's pain, without going over the top. I thought that about the others too.

And they had to play bagpipes? Well, of course, but bagpipes at funerals always get me bawling. :( :(

Trek_Girl42
October 16th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I agree. I wish I hadn't known. I think DH's acting when packing Beckett's stuff, as well as at the end, was excellent. You could see McKay's pain, without going over the top. I thought that about the others too.

And they had to play bagpipes? Well, of course, but bagpipes at funerals always get me bawling. :( :(
Bagpipes at a funeral haven't been so beautiful since Wrath of Khan..... :sheppardanime32:

I know what you mean on the acting, it was just wrenchingly good. Sunday I think is certainly the best episode of the season, perhaps the whole series, just amazing. Martin Gero is my hero. :P

ShadowMaat
October 16th, 2007, 07:01 PM
It's a shame that all of Atlantis can't be more like Sunday. Not in the death, loss, and horror aspect (:P) but just in terms of characterization. I'm all for a great story, but to have real, three-dimensional characters that live and breathe like real people (inasmuch as reality is possible) would be amazing. Unfortunately character development is a casualty of the rock 'em sock 'em action-adventure plots and you can't have ALL of it in one show. Not on Atlantis, anyway. ;)

I still love Sunday and I still think- despite its disjointedness- that it's one of the better stories Gero has given us. I remain thankful for it.

randomguy
October 24th, 2007, 10:44 AM
that episode could have been soooo much better, but instead it was a mediocre episode, mainly the jumping around in the timeline was very tiring. Also when rodney was talking to carson at the end and rodney mentions that at the funeral the church was packed carson replies "oh thats good", this just doesnt sound like something he would say.

edit: and trek_girl, the bagpiper wasnt very good, just for the record

Yay4CarsonBeckett
November 2nd, 2007, 03:07 AM
I was lucky (or unlucky) to have not known the fate of Carson.

I'm from Australia and have had to watch season three online. It's out now on DVD and of course, I have it...but here in Australia we have just finished Season 2 (yeah I know).

I was totally enthralled in the more personal aspects of the team. I felt sorry that no one wanted to go fishing with Carson... and then when the blast occurred leaving him dead.. I was in shock!

What? Killing off Carson? How could they?

I just watched it again on disc and still cry at the end. Hewlett did an AWESOME job of mourning. It looked real (probably helped by knowing his best mate was leaving the show) and I so felt for Hewlett and McKay.

Disgusted and gobsmacked that the producers thought this a good idea. I think now they know how wrong they were.

Dusk
November 14th, 2007, 04:11 AM
People bemoan the death of a character, some label it 'pointless'. "So sudden", said a friend of mine, shocked that the death was 'done that way'.

Let me tell you this. Death for many is an unplanned, unfair, and very sudden experience. That Carson's comrades were deprived of a last goodbye is reflective of reality, as many friends and family share the pain of not having been able to say a few last words. Death happens. It has a point (which I won't even bother going into here). Often times it is sudden. And for those of us left behind it hurts in different ways.

That's a realistic interpretation of the episode. From a producer's POV, I think that giving a character an on-screen death with a full service is the best way to go for an actor. Having them just 'go away' or worse pretend they don't exist anymore is an insult. I felt just as mad at the death of Dr Fraser, a personal favourite of mine, but by now I am over it, and respect death as a fact of life and here a plot device for drama.

Death, death, death... get used to it, it's the closing curtain to our mortal plays.

Achaja
November 21st, 2007, 11:11 AM
I've just yesterday watched this episode... I...I couldn't dry my eyes!!! It was the saddiest story in Atlantis. The last time I've cryed like that was when Daniel died. Eu eu eu!!! Carson, please come back!

Emre
November 30th, 2007, 01:03 PM
I...oh my God. I thought I'd just feel very, very sad. And then my eyes start spewing out salt water.

A magnificent episode with a horrible, heartwrenching ending that will forever be etched in my memory.

The other parts of the episode - the golf, the lunch, and the date - were great. It was really different from the "go to another world, end up in trouble, hightail back" episodes.

Integrabyte
November 30th, 2007, 02:44 PM
I saw it plenty of times and I still get sad. Paul was and is an excellent actor. I wish I could say the same for

KELLER

captain jake
December 7th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I saw it plenty of times and I still get sad. Paul was and is an excellent actor. I wish I could say the same for

KELLER

Both actors have their strong points.

Frankly... I like the latter better simply because she is far more entertaining.

However, I wish we could have them both.

Integrabyte
December 8th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Both actors have their strong points.

Frankly... I like the ladder better simply because she is far more entertaining.

However, I wish we could have them both.

She might have that effect on people. I simply do not perceive her that way. Seeing the way she acts makes me realise Carson impressed me more.

captain jake
December 8th, 2007, 02:32 PM
She might have that effect on people. I simply do not perceive her that way. Seeing the way she acts makes me realise Carson impressed me more.

What do you mean by impressed?

Integrabyte
December 8th, 2007, 02:38 PM
What do you mean by impressed?

For starters his chemistry with Rodney, Sheppard, Zelenka, Ronon, and Weir. He had that interesting sense of humour, for me, he wasn't shallow like Keller. Halfway through S4 and Keller hasn't done anything yet to impress.

captain jake
December 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
For starters his chemistry with Rodney, Sheppard, Zelenka, Ronon, and Weir. He had that interesting sense of humour, for me, he wasn't shallow like Keller. Halfway through S4 and Keller hasn't done anything yet to impress.

I disagree she has done a lot...

1st- She is really hot!

2nd- "Adrift - Keller works to try and save Dr. Weir's life, performing a radical procedure to alleviate pressure on her brain."

3rd- "Tabula Rasa - Keller must care for the entire population of Atlantis when they are striken by a virus that causes amnesia -- and she herself is not immune."

4th- "Jennifer joins Teyla on an off-world visit to New Athos. But when they find the village deserted, the two must flee from a tribe of brutal warriors, testing the mettle of the hometown girl from Wisconsin."

5th- "The Seer - Keller cares for Davos, a gifted prophet who is going to soon die."

Chemistry will take time, but it will come.

Integrabyte
December 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
I disagree she has done a lot...

1st- She is really hot!

2nd- "Adrift - Keller works to try and save Dr. Weir's life, performing a radical procedure to alleviate pressure on her brain."

3rd- "Tabula Rasa - Keller must care for the entire population of Atlantis when they are striken by a virus that causes amnesia -- and she herself is not immune."

4th- "Jennifer joins Teyla on an off-world visit to New Athos. But when they find the village deserted, the two must flee from a tribe of brutal warriors, testing the mettle of the hometown girl from Wisconsin."

5th- "The Seer - Keller cares for Davos, a gifted prophet who is going to soon die."

Chemistry will take time, but it will come.

She is so wrong for that part. A teenager in charge of the medical department. Your 1st argument is not the strongest. She is not that hot...

captain jake
December 8th, 2007, 03:01 PM
She is so wrong for that part. A teenager in charge of the medical department. Your 1st argument is not the strongest. She is not that hot...

She looks like she is in her late 20's early 30's and besides field work requires quick (Young) hands and feet.

She is pretty hot... better than Carson haha.

Integrabyte
December 8th, 2007, 03:03 PM
She looks like she is in her late 20's early 30's and besides field work requires quick (Young) hands and feet.

She is pretty hot... better than Carson haha.

If you say so :P. Being hot, according to you :P, does not compensate for the fact that she can't act!

Silverwings
December 8th, 2007, 04:52 PM
If you say so :P. Being hot, according to you :P, does not compensate for the fact that she can't act!

It's all about the eye candy, Byte. Who needs intelligent writing when there's shiny asplosions, sooper kewl tech, and hawt babes?

Stupid hormonal demographic profiling. Writers these days, haven't got two brain cells to rub together.

jelgate
December 8th, 2007, 05:03 PM
It's all about the eye candy, Byte.?* Who needs intelligent writing when there's shiny asplosions, sooper kewl tech, and hawt babes?Stupid hormonal demographic profiling.?* Writers these days, haven't got two brain cells to rub together.Whose to say Beckett wasn't eyecandy for the other gender

captain jake
December 8th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Whose to say Beckett wasn't eyecandy for the other gender

Um .............. ya so anyways...

I did think the whole exploding tumors was an interesting theme. I mean I wonder if the body contains all of the materials required to create an explosion.

Integrabyte
December 9th, 2007, 05:12 AM
Um .............. ya so anyways...

I did think the whole exploding tumors was an interesting theme. I mean I wonder if the body contains all of the materials required to create an explosion.

We are talking about ancient tech. They are SG equivalent for MACGYVER!

captain jake
December 9th, 2007, 10:23 AM
We are talking about ancient tech. They are SG equivalent for MACGYVER!

Yes but still... is it possible?

Integrabyte
December 9th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Yes but still... is it possible?

In Sci-Fi yes :D. In real life, who knows :D. Medical advances and science cannot really explain everything ;). There were known cases of self-combustion. How do we explain that? :P

captain jake
December 9th, 2007, 06:52 PM
In Sci-Fi yes :D. In real life, who knows :D. Medical advances and science cannot really explain everything ;). There were known cases of self-combustion. How do we explain that? :P

What known cases?

Integrabyte
December 10th, 2007, 02:07 AM
What known cases?

Seen a documentary on TV once :P. Sorry I can't give you more :(.

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Haha ok, I will do some research on the matter. Or maybe start a thread...

Fenrir Foxz
December 10th, 2007, 09:02 PM

was that 'Spontaniously combustable humans' or something like that? because i saw that show too...

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 09:26 PM
was that 'Spontaniously combustable humans' or something like that? because i saw that show too...

Is that sarcasm I'm detecting? HaHa

First
December 10th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yeah, creepy. Often it's people who pass out for whatever reason while smoking, setting themselves on fire. Human bodies burn disturbingly well. With enough heat, fat liquefies and clothing acts like a wick........eeegh!

Anyway, exploding tumors are quite believable in the SG universe. All the necessary ingredients are present in the body. The less believable part is that you'd expect nanites or some intelligent coordination is necessary to organise it all, not just a momentary dose or radiation.
But if you can believe wormholes, time travel, alternate realities, telekinesis, robots made of nanites etc, then exploding tumors are quite believable.

Silverwings
December 10th, 2007, 10:00 PM
But if you can believe wormholes, time travel, alternate realities, telekinesis, robots made of nanites etc, then exploding tumors are quite believable.

Of course, that kinda blows the whole "keeping it real" excuse.

With the tumors specifically, they wouldn't bug me as much if the tech was discovered as part of an existing general aim of the Atlanteans, and their discovery was more... organically integrated into the story and lore of the Ancients. As it is, they just seem to be a plot device to say "yay, 'splosions, and this is how we kill the doc, we make 'em asplosions that come from the human body! Then he's gotta get involved!".

First
December 10th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Agreed. I wonder if the whole explosive tumor arc will lead to anything, or if it is just a dead end plot device used to kill Beckett.

captain jake
December 10th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Agreed. I wonder if the whole explosive tumor arc will lead to anything, or if it is just a dead end plot device used to kill Beckett.

I on't see it happening again, they have to shake it up every once and awhile.

Aethon
December 10th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Sad episode...:beckett:

Integrabyte
December 11th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Sad episode...:beckett:

Sad and typical TPTB :)

jelgate
December 11th, 2007, 07:05 AM
I loved this episode especially after the let down that came the week before. It was interesting to see everyone hobbies and a Satedian sport

captain jake
December 11th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I loved this episode especially after the let down that came the week before. It was interesting to see everyone hobbies and a Satedian sport

Ya, thats true, ironically the only reason Carson died was because he wasn't able to do his hobby.

Silverwings
December 11th, 2007, 10:02 AM

That part was definitely very cool. Killing Carson? Dumb. The rest of the show? Excellent. ;)

jelgate
December 11th, 2007, 10:05 AM
That part was definitely very cool.?* Killing Carson??* Dumb.?* The rest of the show??* Excellent.?* ;)I completley disagree with killing off Carson was dumb. And don't take this personally but I think too many people critize this episode because of the lost of there favorite character. Its sad that he had to die but at least died saving a persons life

Jumper_One
December 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I completley disagree with killing off Carson was dumb. And don't take this personally but I think too many people critize this episode because of the lost of there favorite character. Its sad that he had to die but at least died saving a persons life

I really like this ep. yes it was sad (imo) to say goodbye to Beckett but this doesn't make it a bad ep. 'Heroes' was an awesome 2 parter despite the loss of Frasier ;)

Silverwings
December 11th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Of course it's not personal. I'm disgruntled with the decisions made by the producers, not anyone here. ;)

I'm against killing Carson because it was an idiotic decision, and the rationale of "keeping it real" or "shaking things up" is terribly shallow. On top of that, the tumor bit is silly. As noted, I think it's definitely within the realm of scifi, but since it came out of nowhere and didn't really have a follow-up, it stands out as a weird plot device to serve the means of the producers in their ill-advised decisions.

I'd be against killing any character for the same reasons. If I wanted to watch a show to see how to creatively kill people, I'd check out Lost or the Saw movies. It's just a disgusting and shallow mindset that "killing = drama".

Also, there's my larger concern that SGA seems to think that telling "dark, edgy, sexy" stories that highlight danger somehow make the show better. Cheap thrills do not a show make. Smart character writing in interesting settings hook and keep viewers.

Fenrir Foxz
December 11th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Is that sarcasm I'm detecting? HaHa

Nah, no sarcasm there was a show about people inexplicably lighting on fire... Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden presented it... The show basically recounted the tales then explored ways that science could explain how people just set alight... I found it quite amusing if not a bit scary that just the right chemical combination and anyone could BURN! (and that is without someone pouring petrol or anything on them)...

captain jake
December 11th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Nah, no sarcasm there was a show about people inexplicably lighting on fire... Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden presented it... The show basically recounted the tales then explored ways that science could explain how people just set alight... I found it quite amusing if not a bit scary that just the right chemical combination and anyone could BURN! (and that is without someone pouring petrol or anything on them)...

Your right, that is scary.

Angela V
December 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
48 pages?!?! I don't think I've seen an episode with that many pages yet. I don't have time to go through them all.:)

Anyhoo, I got around to watching Sunday on my DVD. I was spoiled and seriously it was hard to keep away from a spoil like this. Even though I knew what was going to happen I still cried like a baby! Well acted all around. Loved the Rodney and Carson talk at the end. I think I would've been more ticked off it I'd seen this episode when it first aired for others (City tv hasn't even gotten around to airing season 3 yet! Thank goodness for early release of season 3 on DVD!).

captain jake
December 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
48 pages?!?! I don't think I've seen an episode with that many pages yet. I don't have time to go through them all.:)

Anyhoo, I got around to watching Sunday on my DVD. I was spoiled and seriously it was hard to keep away from a spoil like this. Even though I knew what was going to happen I still cried like a baby! Well acted all around. Loved the Rodney and Carson talk at the end. I think I would've been more ticked off it I'd seen this episode when it first aired for others (City tv hasn't even gotten around to airing season 3 yet! Thank goodness for early release of season 3 on DVD!).

Ya, it came as a big shock, but when I was watching the episode I thought he had survived in some weird way. I refused to believe that he was actually dead. However, that last scene kinda made it inevitably so.

Sue_Jackson
December 16th, 2007, 08:17 AM
I watched Sunday on my DVD, and I still cried like a baby when Carson died. I mean, the it was just so sudden. Plus, the emotional tension after that moment was just intense. The scene with Rodney and Ronon was just really touching, and extremely emotional. When Rodney says he should've went fishing with Carson, and he has those regrets, that's when I just completely lost it. Then, the memorial was just.....well lets just say up to that point I was emotional wreck. The bagpipes were a nice touch. Very beautiful. But, I was just sobbing at moment. And....of course the beautiful and touching scene with the spirit of Carson and Rodney at the end was just.....omigosh.....so moving and sad. I was still crying when credits rolled. :(

John W
January 23rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I finally got to see this episode last night on DVD.

I've gotta be totally honest and say I had a lot of mixed feelings about the episode. Firstly, I didn't really like the whole "Ten hours earlier", "Ten days earlier" etc. thing. It got kinda annoying rather quickly, even if it did eventually pay off once I realised the whole link to each of them was Carson trying to find someone to go fishing with.

It was also something of an "out-of-the-blue" thing with that bearded guy who's suddenly appeared for no apparent reason other than to chat Weir up. It would've helped if we'd seen him before. The same sorta went for Rodney's girlfriend. With that, I thought, "What? Since when did he have a girlfriend." Thankfully though, when she mentioned about the whole Cadman incident I realised that we HAD seen her before. LOL!

Finally, the big pointer of the episode, Carson's death. I'm going to go with the producers and say that I totally understand the whole aspect of every once in a while have the good guys lose. I think I prefer that to constant happy endings everytime. However, I did feel somewhat disappointed by Carson's death, rather than saddened. I thought they could've at least added a scene or two from right after the explosion of everyone's shocked expressions. Instead, it cuts straight to Rodney packing Carson's things away. Still, that was a nice scene and an unusual thing to have Ronon so sympathetic, especially towards Rodney.

So, was Carson ascended or not? From what I've read over the past few months, he is. However, there was no real mention of this in the episode, especially since we have no idea how Carson's suddenly managed to ascend. I know we saw Rodney talking to him at the end, but for all we know he could've just been imagining him.

Falcon Horus
February 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Is there anyone out there who could tell me what music-piece the bagpiper plays when they carry Carson's coffin through the Gate?

twinchaosblade
February 7th, 2008, 06:42 AM
Is there anyone out there who could tell me what music-piece the bagpiper plays when they carry Carson's coffin through the Gate?
If I remember correctly, it was called "Dark Isle".

Falcon Horus
February 7th, 2008, 07:12 AM

Thank you... I'll google around a bit for it...

MattSilver 3k
February 17th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Does anyone else think this episode will suck after we see Beckett alive in S4?

Falcon Horus
February 17th, 2008, 06:26 PM

Nope, not one inch. I just watched it and it's still brilliant. Besides, who is this Carson anyway we will get to see in The Kindred?

jelgate
February 17th, 2008, 06:30 PM
This is one of the greatest episodes of SGA ever written regardless of the Kindred. It shows the different relationships among the expedition and really speaks to Beckett's character that he is willing to risk his life for his patient.

Chezlee
February 18th, 2008, 09:45 AM

It will only suck (not in terms of the episode becuase it is a GREAT episode in itself, but impact wise) for those who know he comes back and then watch Sunday for the first time. When I first saw Sunday I had no idea that Beckett was ever supposed to come back for S4, so it was a good episode.

John W
February 18th, 2008, 10:42 AM
It won't suck for me. Besides the fact that I only saw "Sunday" recently and therefore already knew he was coming back, I'm used to dead characters coming back anyway. They've done it numerous times in the various Star Treks (Spock, Tasha Yar, Dax, Trip Tucker etc.).

Ancavge
February 18th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Missed that episode, so i dont know, but if that really him in the next episode.

Swederell
February 22nd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Hey, new to the forum

Personally I don't think that Carson died. I was just reading Mallozi's Blog and there was a hint that he didn't. Either he was transferred back because he was in a coma from the burns or was recalled due to an emergency on Earth. There could be any number of reasons that we haven't heard from him till now. The bit with Carson talking to McKay at the end could have just been Rodney saying goodbye to him, in the way that only McKay can.

When the bomb exploded the only people close enough for it to kill were the bomb desposal guys, condsidering the blast patterns from the first explosion. Carson was too far from the bomb for him to be killed, only burned. They all look sullen at the end of Sunday cos they don't know if he's going to be ok or not.

(btw I haven't read the synopsis for Kindred yet, so i dunno how he's coming back)

Falcon Horus
February 22nd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Err... have you watched Sunday, cause there was a memorial service at the end of the episode where a body (Carson's) was send back to Earth, where there was a funeral (church service and all).

Carson is dead. Dead as a doornail.

The.Road.Not.Taken
February 22nd, 2008, 10:01 AM
Err... have you watched Sunday, cause there was a memorial service at the end of the episode where a body (Carson's) was send back to Earth, where there was a funeral (church service and all).

yh dead, gone but not forgotton and coming back to life!!

ShadowMaat
February 22nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Wow. I know there have been some pretty blatant examples of fans in denial over the facts, but that's a real tipper. ;)

Carson died. They held a memorial for him, people cried, and they sent a casket back through the gate. You don't put live people in caskets. Not for legitimate and non-pervy reasons, anyway. :D

The writers can still bring Carson back without negating what happened in Sunday. They might be a little over-the-top sometimes, but I can't see them pretending that Sunday never happened or that somehow everyone misunderstood it.

Someone asked if knowing what's gonna happen in S4 changes their opinion of Sunday and I gotta say, I still love Sunday but I think bringing Carson back kinda takes away from the story told here and chips another chunk out of the show's (and the writers') integrity. Just because you CAN bring characters back from the dead doesn't mean you should.

Briangate78
February 22nd, 2008, 05:26 PM

That is why it is called SCI FI my dear. ;)

Aeryn Sun Died in Farscape and she came back to life. Look at Starbuck in BSG, she died in the Viper explosion but is alive.

tina_als_girl
February 22nd, 2008, 09:58 PM

Yeah, it was called the "Dark Island". I imagine you might be able to find some sort of recording online. I do know that Mike Oldfield has a version of it on his album "Voyager". The moment I heard the bagpipes playing, I knew what the music was.

It's interesting, too, because the original title of the piece is called "Dr. Mackay's Farewell to Creagorry". (bolding by me to show that TPTB chose a very appropriate song)

http://www.geocities.com/area51/Zone/6338/eil_dor.htm

Joy

Swederell
February 23rd, 2008, 01:04 AM

They never actually said it was Carson's body though. it could have been the bomb desposal team

TDgamer
February 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
They never actually said it was Carson's body though. it could have been the bomb desposal team

You serious? With a Scottish flag draped over it? And them talking about him like they did? He is dead. D-E-D dead.

Falcon Horus
February 23rd, 2008, 05:04 AM
Yeah, it was called the "Dark Island". I imagine you might be able to find some sort of recording online. I do know that Mike Oldfield has a version of it on his album "Voyager". The moment I heard the bagpipes playing, I knew what the music was.

It's interesting, too, because the original title of the piece is called "Dr. Mackay's Farewell to Creagorry". (bolding by me to show that TPTB chose a very appropriate song)

http://www.geocities.com/area51/Zone/6338/eil_dor.htm

Thanks for the info... :)

In Carson's quarters:

DEX: You sending it all back home to his family?

McKAY: Yeah. I mean, we will. They don’t know yet. We’re going to send, uh ... (he trails off for a long moment) ... the body back to Earth and, um, I’m gonna tell his mother. (He looks at Ronon for a moment.) I should have just gone fishing with him.

DEX (his voice almost breaking): Don’t.

McKAY: No. If I’d gone fishing ... if I’d checked the machine ... if I hadn’t assigned two junior guys to catalogue the lab ...

This conversation doesn't leave much room for speculation about whom they are talking.

The bomb disposal team only consisted of one person and I'm going to guess there wasn't much left of him to send home, since Hewston was blown to bits and pieces as well.

Edit: But hey, if you want to believe otherwise that's okay... I mean, I myself am pretty much in denial about something in season 4 but at least I do recognize the fact that in canon my fave is gone. ;)

Uber
February 23rd, 2008, 07:40 AM
It will only suck (not in terms of the episode becuase it is a GREAT episode in itself, but impact wise) for those who know he comes back and then watch Sunday for the first time. When I first saw Sunday I had no idea that Beckett was ever supposed to come back for S4, so it was a good episode.I don't agree. Using SG-1 as an example, even while knowing that Daniel Jackson returns to the series in Season 7, I still find Meridian to be very moving and full of impact because it was a major turning point in his character's journey.

So should the events in Season 4 make it so that the real Carson Beckett is alive...it won't change what happened and the emotional impact of Sunday.

ShadowMaat
February 23rd, 2008, 01:06 PM
They never actually said it was Carson's body though. it could have been the bomb disposal team

No. It couldn't have been because it was CARSON. Or at the very least it was someone that everyone- including all the characters on the show- believed was Carson. Accept the truth and move on. :)

Willow'sCat
February 23rd, 2008, 06:54 PM
They never actually said it was Carson's body though. it could have been the bomb desposal teamNo but him being blown to bits just before hand was a dead give away. :P

Not that any of this matters anymore.:rolleyes:

I don't think I can watch this episode again, it was a great episode because of what happened and now... well it is just an episode, may as well be a dream (or one of Teyla's visions) for all the impact it now holds. :cool::(

Repli!kat
February 27th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Since this is a Season 3 thread, shouldn't some of these more recent posts (referencing Kindred) be in spoiler quotes??? Don't mean to be pesty...:(

Skydiver
February 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM
replikat does have a point. how about you folks confine your discussiion in this thread to sunday. there are plenty of threads in teh season 4 and 5 area about carson's involvement in those seasons

Austin
March 2nd, 2008, 08:23 PM
I like to watch each episode a number of times, like prolly a number of you guys. But i couldn't bring myself to watch Sunday again. There are only 2 episodes that i have only watched the once, the other being SG1 5x21(Jackson's demise). Too sad.

There have 3 deaths in tv that have affected me a bit too much hehe. 2 of them were stargate the other was in 24. And now its seems all those charaters are back.

Asgard_Thor
May 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
poor carson...all he wanted to do on his day off was go fishing with someone...

idk if i'll accept the 'new' beckett. i guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in season 5.

Lianne
May 23rd, 2008, 09:26 AM

Actually, for me, it really took a bit of the impact, as for I watched this ep. for the first time just yesterday, and Ive had already known Beckett will come back. So, the whole last 10 or so minutes of the ep. I was just thinking "Oh so what, you´ll come back eventually". (but that does not mean I didn´t feel sad or didn´t care about him dieing.)

And I got the feeling that the ending was more of like "Oh my, poor Rodney didn´t go fishing with him and now he has to bear the horrible sentiment with him for the rest of his life" instead of "Oh my, Carson really died".

Sexeh_steph
May 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
Hey sorry to just jump on the band wagon but i can see Sheppard married but not for long but in series 4 dont you get to meet the ex????

Falcon Horus
May 24th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hey sorry to just jump on the band wagon but i can see Sheppard married but not for long but in series 4 dont you get to meet the ex????

I think that should be in spoilertags... :o

And yes, we do... In Outcast.

Muh_tuttles
May 25th, 2008, 01:40 AM
Originally Posted by MattSilver 3k

No i don't think it will suck - I think it will still be really really really touching. I cry every time I see it and I think I've seen it about 4 or so times. Just like when Frasier died, I cried everytime I saw it.

Sexeh_steph
May 25th, 2008, 06:22 AM
I think that should be in spoilertags... :o

And yes, we do... In Outcast.

I have to say i dont reli know im new to this reli lol so im sorry if i ruined anything for anybody :S but thanx for letting my know that. I havent seen it yet but im downloading it now so hopefully it wont be too long lol

:sheppardanime23::sheppard28:

valaCB
June 11th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I saw 'Sunday' again.
I miss carson :(:(

Don't know why the kill him, so stupid!!! :daniel09:
I think i'll not buy season 4. Weir is also gone :(

:comeon:

Arica12
June 12th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I saw 'Sunday' again.
I miss carson :(:(

Don't know why the kill him, so stupid!!! :daniel09:
I think i'll not buy season 4. Weir is also gone :(

:comeon:

And that is exactly the problem with this 'great idea' to shake things up.

It shook things up alright, it shook a whole lot of people right out of watching!

valaCB
June 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
And that is exactly the problem with this 'great idea' to shake things up.

It shook things up alright, it shook a whole lot of people right out of watching!

The thing is, i really enjoy season 4 a lot!
BUT i miss them, it's not the same without them....:(:(:(

Teddybrown
June 13th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Another good episode but OMG Carson dies
:lol:
Didnt want him to leave
Again I thought it was quite good
I thought the canister would explode just as he walked away...

But he comes back in Season 4 in Kindred Part 2 and hes back in season 5

Coco Pops
June 23rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
Was Rodney's conversation at the end in his imagination or for real? It felt like it was intended to be real but being Stargate you never know...

I liked Sunday even if it was a shippy episode :)

BTW what ever happened to Rodney's sister she was cute.

WBBulldogs
June 28th, 2008, 02:10 PM
WTF?... why beckett? :( Hopefully he comes back.

Coco Pops
June 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM
WTF?... why beckett? :( Hopefully he comes back.

I wondered the very same thing. Of all the people to croak why him? Unless of course the actor wanted out .

Silverwings
June 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM
Unless of course the actor wanted out .

He didn't. Check the "Save Carson" thread at the top of the page for all the details. :D

Coco Pops
June 28th, 2008, 08:46 PM
He didn't. Check the "Save Carson" thread at the top of the page for all the details. :D

Um please excuse me but what page?

*subrosa*
July 9th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Paul never really wanted out. It was said so in an interview for as far as I know... and if he really WANTED out, why would the producers/writers of SGA make him return?
Neh, I think that Carson died because they wanted Keller in (just because of something Gero said in an interview and all...)

Still... I think that it really sucked that he died, but it gave for a good morality... People always think that they can say 'no' because there's 'always another day' and this episode really proved all that wrong. Sometimes there is no tomorrow and people shouldn't take everything for granted. I think that would be the message in this episode and it was given pretty well.

I love Carson Beckett and I'm more than pleased that he returned, even though it's only for a few episodes per season... it's better than no Carson at all :D :beckett:

Sp!der
July 14th, 2008, 10:23 AM
this was the first time that I cried because of a TV Show or Movie...
Normally I never cry for smth like that, but I loved the Charakter of Carson so much this episode was sooo sad. :beckett:
and with rodney he is one of my favorite character in Atlantis...poor carson..he Rocks!!!!

Coco Pops
July 14th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Paul never really wanted out. It was said so in an interview for as far as I know... and if he really WANTED out, why would the producers/writers of SGA make him return?
Neh, I think that Carson died because they wanted Keller in (just because of something Gero said in an interview and all...)

Still... I think that it really sucked that he died, but it gave for a good morality... People always think that they can say 'no' because there's 'always another day' and this episode really proved all that wrong. Sometimes there is no tomorrow and people shouldn't take everything for granted. I think that would be the message in this episode and it was given pretty well.

I love Carson Beckett and I'm more than pleased that he returned, even though it's only for a few episodes per season... it's better than no Carson at all :D :beckett:

How does one return if they're dead

*subrosa*
July 15th, 2008, 12:07 AM
hhhm... watch season 4, the episodes call the "Kindred pt. 1" and "The Kindred pt. 2" and you'll find out. Can't really tell you more though if you haven't seen the episode yet... don't wanna be a spoiler... I just kinda had a moment of weakness in which I thought that everyone had already seen it... foolish me...

j7n
August 9th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I watched this episode today and my response to all the events was like "WTF?".

First, what are all those new people? The characters interacted like they knew each other for a long time, but never got introduced to the viewer. Perhaps I missed that Rodney had a relationship with this woman before. But what about the other personel? Since when do you get to kiss a woman you've first met, even in Pegasus galaxy?

Also everybody were walking around like in a nightmare; the repeated scenes greatly contributed to this impression. Near the end I expected to discover that this was indeed a dream, like in "The Other Guys". But no such thing happened.

If this sorry excuse for a story was intended as a desperate way to kill off one of the main characters, it was very lame. Come on, explosive tumors!?