PDA

View Full Version : Echoes (312)

Pages : 1 [2]

Chailyn
December 26th, 2006, 05:33 PM
One of my favorite episodes this season! A wonderfully well-rounded episode with something for each cast member. We need more team episodes like this. Also, I'm glad they made the whales "good guys". I don't even want to think of Atlantis battling giant fish for any reason! I loved Weir's expression when Caldwell suggested it.

Teyla and Ronon really have some nice chemistry. Call it whatever you want, but I want to see more interaction like this. I think they nicely brought out parts of their characters. I'm not a shipper, btw. I'm still making up my mind. ;)

I also liked Ronon falling asleep on Teyla.

Nothing against Teyla, but maybe Rodney should have worked with her instead in Tao. He might have reached the coma-like stage faster! :D

I'll definately be watching this one again. Great job from the entire cast!

Ravenessa
December 26th, 2006, 10:49 PM
To me, this was a shippy episode. -shrug- I liked it though. Rodney/WhaleSam. -giggles-

monkeyman
January 1st, 2007, 09:33 AM
hey how do you guys watch the episodes, cuz here in U.S. they arent airing till like march or something, is there someway i can watch 'em this early too cuz waiting is killing me

Trialia
January 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM
hey how do you guys watch the episodes, cuz here in U.S. they arent airing till like march or something, is there someway i can watch 'em this early too cuz waiting is killing me
Can't tell you. Sorry. Forum rules. Use Google.

Rootortoise
January 1st, 2007, 12:26 PM
i dont believe ive actually commented on this ep yet!
I loved it!! The shep/mckay stuff in this ep was excellent and the whump..YAY!! loved the scenes in the infirmary.."WHAT?!" LOL and them escaping!! It was cool seeing the whales too!! also love teyla and ronon meditating..or rather teyla meditating and ronon sleeping LOL!! at least teyla kicked his ass the next day!!
Only problem...shep and rodney shouldve been affected more, after they left the infirmary they were fine!!GRR!! obviously perforated ears heal a lot faster in the pegasus galaxy *rolls eyes*
anyway still an enjoyable ep, one of my favourites for this season!!

Falcon Horus
January 1st, 2007, 04:20 PM
... also love teyla and ronon meditating..or rather teyla meditating and ronon sleeping LOL!! at least teyla kicked his ass the next day!!...

That face she makes when she kicks his ass... it's just screaming, "And this is for falling asleep during meditation."

Then again, when she's talking so softly during the lesson, I swear, I'd probably would have gone straight to lalaland myself. It's just way too sleep-inducing. :p

Trialia
January 1st, 2007, 04:42 PM
That face she makes when she kicks his ass... it's just screaming, "And this is for falling asleep during meditation."

Then again, when she's talking so softly during the lesson, I swear, I'd probably would have gone straight to lalaland myself. It's just way too sleep-inducing. :p
I wouldn't say "sleep" inducing ;)

Falcon Horus
January 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM

:D

I guess not...

Trialia
January 1st, 2007, 05:26 PM
:D

I guess not...
Hehehehe. :D

obsessed1
January 3rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
You in the gutter? ;)

I loved their interaction in this ep. Im so glad that Teyla got something to do and we got to see the relationship between her and Ronon (Friends!! :D)

Such an all round, uneexpectedly solid episode. Now see, when they get it right, they get it right? :D

Falcon Horus
January 4th, 2007, 09:40 AM
You in the gutter? ;)

Wanna join?
There's plenty of room left. :p

meredithchandler73
January 16th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Well, I really loved this episode. I've read a small number of other posts about it and I don't doubt there are inaccuracies (like the time it takes for a perforated ear drum to heal), but there was just so much to enjoy!

--Ronan falling asleep while Teyla tries to teach him meditation
--Teyla kicking Ronan's butt while sparring
--deaf Elizabeth at the end of the ep
--John testing to see if Rodney can hear ("Zalenka is smarter than you are!")
--Rodney calling the whale "Sam" - That is so perfect! The whale was partially responsible for Rodney's rescue, just as his Sam hallucination. And hey, Rodney's a Sam Carter fan. :)
--Rodney's pleas to keep all 3 ZPMs and Elizabeth's very firm, "No!" (I love the fact that they spread the wealth. One ZPM for the Antartica chair is a no-brainer. I think someone posted that the Odyssey having a ZPM didn't make sense because our weapons are useless against the Ori. I would think a shield boost from a ZPM should still be effective, right? In any case, I was cool with it.)
--Caldwell's idea to kill the whales. I wasn't for it, but hey - someone had to suggest it! (If Ford could suggest stealing the ZPM from the planet with all the kids back during The Siege, someone could suggest killing the whales that were causing everyone so much harm.)

There was very little that I didn't like. I like Dr. Heightmeyer more as a blonde. Sorry. And to be honest, her appearance in the episode confused me. When the second sighting happened (Elizabeth's) and Heightmeyer said it may have just been the power of suggestion, I started to think that someone or something was in control of Heightmeyer (in cahoots with the apparitions that were appearing? Or the whales?!?!?) and she was deliberately misdirecting them. Ah...nope. She was just wrong.

lizzy4ever
January 17th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Excellent episode, one of my favorite so far for this season!! There are too many things I loved to make a complete list but it was really good:

-ronon snoring?:)
-zelenka and his pigeons;)
-shep carrying lizzy in his arms to this infirmary RAWR awesome!!!
-deaf meredith

and as many have said before me, this ep shows that every character had time to shine a bit (even the sun:cool: ) and that the characters really work great together

:weir: Save Elizabeth:weir:

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
January 17th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cool episode.

Good Points
Shepherd calling Rodney Meredith

WHAT! WHAT!

Rodney naming the whale after Sam

Seeing "Sam" again

Ronan snoring

The cool sun beamy thing hitting the daedy (sorry I don't know the technical term :o), great FX.

The Acting

Bad Points

Ronan/Teyla ship :(

The guy that died, why on earth (lantea) wasn't the worst affected, that couldn't fit in the Daedalus infirmary, sent through the bridge to earth? Out of all the ways he could have died, he was killed by whales :mckay:

Indum'kra
January 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Everything I want from an SG episode. Humour, good character interaction, cool special effects, hard-boiled but fun science.

:weiranime17:

mancslad08
January 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Outstanding episode, very very good. Best of the season for me. Much better than the garbage that SG-1 has been putting out half the time this season and SOOOO much better than the crap-fest that was 'The Return'.

I have to admit I still find it funny that most people on here rate 10/10 episodes because of things like ronan snoring, McKay calling the whale Sam etc... - but anyway...

The Good:

- Great editing: superbly keeping the drama and storyline flowing perfectly. William Warring for more episodes please.
- Great story, great mystery
- Nice CG at end
- Good acting by all except Heightmeyer
- Just overall, very good stuff and a fresh tale that we haven't heard a million times before

The bad:

- Heightmeyer's acting. It actually made Torri Higginson look good!
- McKay whining for the billionth time right at the end when he's shouting at Sheppard. Enough already!!

Matt G
January 17th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Right...

1. Teyla/Dex scene = class.

2. Sheppard/McKay scenes = class.

3. Deaf McKay = chuckle.

4. Throwing the Deadalus in front of a solar flare = madarsed.

This ep = very cool.

8/10.

obsessed1
January 17th, 2007, 03:38 PM
What?! so funny :D

Adria
January 21st, 2007, 07:20 AM
did they?
why didn't they give the zpm to the Daedalus to keep the shows separate?

because the ori are the greater threat ....no earth no resources for atlantis :beckett:

Sweetsong
January 21st, 2007, 08:38 AM
because the ori are the greater threat ....no earth no resources for atlantis :beckett:

I wonder if when the Ori find out the people in Pegasus galaxy are non-belivers too if they will send priors there to and risk conflicts with the Wraith. Probably not, heh.

Matt G
January 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM
OK...just had a Sheppard-Beckett epilogue scene pop into my head.

:beckett: Colonel! How are you feeling?

:sheppard: Well I don't like some people thinking I'm crazy but...

:beckett: You're not crazy...you're stark raving bonkers! Good work!*shakes hand!*

prion
April 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Well, it's on in a little less than an hour :) On Skiffy, that is...

Ruined_puzzle
April 20th, 2007, 07:09 PM
I still love this episode the second time around.
Original and everyone had a part.
Teyla and Ronon were awesome and yeah, my inner shipper liked their scenes.
WHALES!!! They were awesome.
Sheppard came up with the plan and I loved that.
I also loved the humor.

nowvoyager908
April 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
All in all, this was a good episode. Great to see everybody have a piece of the action. In my mind, the best episodes integrate the entire cast and make use of the city. Liked "deaf" McKay/Sheppard in the infirmary and Elizabeth's "No, thank you" at the end. He he.

As an aside, I don't ship (and to be honest, I was kind of speculating on Teyla and Carson (sniffle, sniffle), but now I'm looking at Teyla and Ronon in a whole new light. There is definitely something there and it ain't brotherly/sisterly as I had previously thought. ;) What would they be called - Emma-Dex or maybe Trononla. Lord, I'm such a girl. LOL.

Daniel's_twin
April 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
An enjoyable episode to be sure, but a bit of a let-down for me, personally.

Last week we got an episode with great action, cool effects, an interesting plot, but most of all the writing was top-notch. Or at least beyond what I had seen lately.

Then we get this. Not that this was a bad episode by far, but I found it to be pretty mundane. The ghosts of Atlantis thing was cool, but they dragged the possibility of them being "actual" ghosts out a bit long for me. Ten minutes shorter would've been good. And then of course, the whole "John comes up with the 'brilliant' idea that saves everyone in the end" bit. I can only think of one, maybe two episodes that John didn't come in and the day was automatically saved, and they were the best IMO.

But this is a good episode in these regards: the creature effects were cool as were the space scenes. It was interesting to watch the team go against things that were purely forces of nature. Banter is always a plus for Atlantis, as were seeing the whales again (I know, technically fish, but hey).

All in all, I'd give this episode 3 1/2 stars out of five. Hope 'Irresponsible' is more responsible with Sheppard. :cool:

lily
April 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I don't think I posted my comments here when I watched the episode several weeks ago, so here you have my thoughts :)

This is what I wrote at my LJ after watching the episode, and now, having watched it probably 25 times, I still think the same. I'm in absolutely love with this episode!

I hadn't read many spoilers about it. In fact I never read many spoilers about any episode (only the general stuff posted at Joe Mallozzi's blog and here at Gateworld's news page). I don't mind finding about some minor stuff or guessing something from episodic pics, but I don't want to read about any really detailed info before watching it. I want to be surprised as I watch it.

Regarding Echoes, I only knew something very general, that involved whales, a few Ancients and people who started seeing some weird stuff. So plot wise, the episode kept me guessing and wondering what was going on and how they were going to solve it.

Now, character wise... OMG. Brillant character moments.

The begining in the jumper, with John, Radek and Ronon was great. Hey, what's up with Radek out of his Atlantis uniform? I think it's a first. Cool.

Fantastic Ronon/Teyla moments:

- the scene with Teyla teaching Ronon meditation, and Ronon snoring. So funny! Teyla's face was priceless.
- Teyla beating the crap out of Ronon with the fighting sticks. Yay! Go girl! :D
- Scene in the infirmary. Awww.
- the ending, with Teyla and Ronon back to meditation lessons, and Ronon giving her a fighting stick to keep him awake if necessary. LOL

Great John/Rodney/Liz moments:

- Liz and Rodney and emails. Hahahahahahahaha. Priceless.
- Can't believe Rodney named the whale Sam
- Deaf John and Deaf Rodney. ROTFLMAO.
- John carrying Liz. Awwwww.
- Deaf Liz at the end. OMG. More ROTFLMAO.

Other moments:

- Radek and race pigeons. LOL
- Carson. You're the best doc. You'll be so missed :(
- Great to see Caldwell and Kate. I had no idea they were going to be in this episode, and it was a nice surprise.

Brillant. Brillant character moments. Every time I watch Echoes, I end up with a huge smile on my face. 10/10. One of my top favorites.

LadyBozi
April 20th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I love this epsiode.. =] 9/10 <3
Great writer=Great episodes! hehe

FoolishPleasure
April 20th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ronon and Teyla, sittin' in a tree. . . .you know the rest. ;)

This was a good episode, but its just sad to see certain people who I know won't be returning next season.

LadyBozi
April 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM
As an aside, I don't ship (and to be honest, I was kind of speculating on Teyla and Carson (sniffle, sniffle), but now I'm looking at Teyla and Ronon in a whole new light. There is definitely something there and it ain't brotherly/sisterly as I had previously thought. ;) What would they be called - Emma-Dex or maybe Trononla. Lord, I'm such a girl. LOL.

lmao. no pleasee nnooo.. Teyla/Ronon HAVE NO GOOD name combo.. trust me I tried.. -_-;;; lol ;) ;)

Platschu
April 21st, 2007, 02:47 AM
Maybe Teylon? But it would be to similar to the cylon. :D

FoolishPleasure
April 21st, 2007, 07:18 AM
Ronon/Teyla is known as "Spanky", after the famous salad fight in "Lost Boys".

Major_Griff
April 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM
Great episode! For once the ptb had every character doing something! Everybody got involved, which was great for me. I thought the episode would be crappy based on the preview but Echoes delivered and I was pleasently surprised!

Redhooks
April 21st, 2007, 02:03 PM
A good episode, at one point I was almost hoping Carson would say in his Scottish accent, "There be whales here!!" :D

I didn't tape the episode and can't double check, but I thought there was a minor history error in a scene with Sheppard and McKay that I think was in the BioLab. McKay makes some kind of comment about the Ancients not doing something and Sheppard says, "because they were at war with the Wraith." This is supposed to have happened 15000 years ago and the Wraith/Ancient war started approximately 10100 years ago. I am right or did I mishear the comment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Linzi
April 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
A good episode, at one point I was almost hoping Carson would say in his Scottish accent, "There be whales here!!" :D

I didn't tape the episode and can't double check, but I thought there was a minor history error in a scene with Sheppard and McKay that I think was in the BioLab. McKay makes some kind of comment about the Ancients not doing something and Sheppard says, "because they were at war with the Wraith." This is supposed to have happened 15000 years ago and the Wraith/Ancient war started approximately 10100 years ago. I am right or did I mishear the comment? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Nope. You're quite right. I watched Echoes today in honour of my US pals. I've seen it already as I live in the UK. As I watched that scene, I realised the continuity error. The worrying thing is, that I've watched Echoes many times, and today was the first time I noticed that! :o

Redhooks
April 21st, 2007, 03:22 PM
Thank you for comfirming it. After posting, I went to the episode list and read through the transcript and found that it happened near the end when they were onboard the Daeldalus. I got the season 1 and 2 DVDs before last weekend and have watched a lot of episodes lately. Maybe that is why I picked up on it. ;)

YappiChick
April 21st, 2007, 04:00 PM
I didn't tape the episode and can't double check, but I thought there was a minor history error in a scene with Sheppard and McKay that I think was in the BioLab. McKay makes some kind of comment about the Ancients not doing something and Sheppard says, "because they were at war with the Wraith." This is supposed to have happened 15000 years ago and the Wraith/Ancient war started approximately 10100 years ago.

Tsk, tsk...you would think after all this time Sheppard would brush up on Ancient history. :D

Mitchell82
April 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM
I still love this episode the second time around.
Original and everyone had a part.
Teyla and Ronon were awesome and yeah, my inner shipper liked their scenes.
WHALES!!! They were awesome.
Sheppard came up with the plan and I loved that.
I also loved the humor.

You know everytime I see this ep and hear Zelenka say "Whales?" I can't help but seeing Scotty saying in ST:IV "Admiral there be whales here!":D

Willow'sCat
April 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Tsk, tsk...you would think after all this time Sheppard would brush up on Ancient history. :D
And that is the reason tptb will use, that it is just Sheppard not knowing or remembering. So really if true, and to be honest I don't pay that much attention to these things, it is not a mistake it is just a lack of knowledge or memory on Sheppard's part.

A bit like me right now. :P

Killdeer
April 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
Just finished rewatching, and I have to say, this is one of my favorite episodes, and definately one of the best this season. Lots of awesome things. All of the characters had good moments. I would definately give it at least a 9 out of 10. The solution bugged me a little because it depended so much on chance - if the eruption from the sun had not shut down at that precise moment, everyone would have been dead. And Heightmeyer as a redhead? :S Not so impressed.

Those two nitpicks aside, everything else was excellent. Enjoyed the whale storyline - I had been wondering if we would ever learn anything more about the creature from Grace Under Pressure. And I've always thought more ocean exploration stories would be cool. Loved Rodney so happy and excited about his whale friend, and John harassing him about it. John and Rodney had a lot of great moments here...taking off to go play in the jumper, yelling in the infirmary, snarking at each other in the lab, fighting over whether John's idea was a good one or not. Elizabeth handles the two of them so well, and I so enjoy watching the three of them together.

Watching Elizabeth is bittersweet nowdays. I'm just trying not to think about it too much. I know she's made some mistakes during the course of the series, but part of why I enjoy her character is her love for the city and her dedication to her people. TH is a wonderful actress and I'm going to miss her character being in charge.

Teyla and Ronan also had a lot of good moments. I'm not a shipper, but you could certainly build a strong case for Teyla/Ronan ship based on this episode. There was more between the two of them here than I've seen in any other couple so far, especially in the infirmary scene.

Overall a fantastic episode...definitely one that I will be rewatching frequently.

rosey_angel
April 22nd, 2007, 01:56 AM
sorry if this was mentioned and answered before, but i have a question/complaint: why did it fall to rodney to find out about the whales? altantis has ppl who study plants, you'd think they'd bring along ppl who study animals. one of them should have seen the whale first, and then alerted rodney to it. that way, his involvement would have made sense, coz he would have taken a personal interest in them

Great episode! For once the ptb had every character doing something! Everybody got involved, which was great for me.

YES!!! exactly. i was told that this ep was really good, but it lived up to my expectations.

LOL at rodney and shep shouting coz of their ears, and weir doing it at the end :D

i felt bad for teyla when she was walking down the hall and got the overload of ancient hologram-things, but it was nice to see ronon there to help

prion
April 22nd, 2007, 03:31 PM
sorry if this was mentioned and answered before, but i have a question/complaint: why did it fall to rodney to find out about the whales? altantis has ppl who study plants, you'd think they'd bring along ppl who study animals. one of them should have seen the whale first, and then alerted rodney to it. that way, his involvement would have made sense, coz he would have taken a personal interest in them

I quite enjoyed this episode the second time around :) I think one of Rodney's scientists might have mentioned the whale, and Rodney, having previous history with said whale, just HAD to check it out. I mean, he doesn't have a cat anymore and he named the whale "Sam", so... :)

JedI Master of the Gate
April 23rd, 2007, 02:30 AM
Anyone got any decent pictures of the Flagecallus?

Jeyla4ever
April 23rd, 2007, 12:40 PM
I loved this episode the second and third time around....

Highlights:

Rodney, John, Zelenka....AWESOME!
Elizabeth thanking John and Zelenka at the end...Too Cute!
Rodney and his Whale friend...Watch out Katie!
Teyla and Ronon having their sibling moments....Heartwrenchingly Beautiful!
Ronon stepping back when John rushes over to see Teyla in the infirmary just like he did in the Return Part 1 to give them space to say their goodbyes..Truly Revealing and Emotional!
John glancing back at Teyla determined to find the solution....Brilliant!
The visual effects....FANTASTIC!
The overall look and feel of the episode....Magnificent!
Teyla figuring out everything before any of them did....PRICELESS!

Very good episode!

GateLadyM
April 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Teyla and Ronon having their sibling moments....Heartwrenchingly Beautiful!
While I think Ronon and Teyla like each other quite a bit, I don't think their scenes were exactly "siblingesque". It feels like TPTB are hinting at a possible "ship" and want to see how the audience reacts to it. I think they are very sweet together, but I don't think they act like bro/sis. It feels a bit beyond that.

Ronon stepping back when John rushes over to see Teyla in the infirmary just like he did in the Return Part 1 to give them space to say their goodbyes..Truly Revealing and Emotional!
What good byes? I didn't see any deathbed angst. I saw Sheppard take a quick check with Ronon to see if Teyla was okay, then he simply left to get on with his work. I didn't see anything "revealing and emotional" in that scene at all.

Teyla figuring out everything before any of them did....PRICELESS!
She did? Teyla came up with the, whales are transmitting visions from the past so we can raise shields and protect them from the solar flare? Hmmm. Coulda sworn Rodney figured that one.

Falcon Horus
April 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
While I think Ronon and Teyla like each other quite a bit, I don't think their scenes were exactly "siblingesque". It feels like TPTB are hinting at a possible "ship" and want to see how the audience reacts to it. I think they are very sweet together, but I don't think they act like bro/sis. It feels a bit beyond that.

Everybody sees what they like to see. Like Camy I can only see a sibling-relationship.

She did? Teyla came up with the, whales are transmitting visions from the past so we can raise shields and protect them from the solar flare? Hmmm. Coulda sworn Rodney figured that one.

She did make a connection to Sam the Whale and her first visions. That's something to think about. She may not have solved the issue but she did trigger a chain of events that would eventually lead to Rodney discovering what was really going on.

Killdeer
April 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
Everybody sees what they like to see. Like Camy I can only see a sibling-relationship.

Whether it was sibling or 'ship, I saw a lot more concern from Ronan for Teyla than from John. John just seemed worried about a member of his team IMO. I'm not saying I thought he didn't care-I just didn't see anything special about it. But I'm not a shipper. :D And like you said, everyone sees what they want to see.

She did make a connection to Sam the Whale and her first visions. That's something to think about. She may not have solved the issue but she did trigger a chain of events that would eventually lead to Rodney discovering what was really going on.

I don't know - Teyla was pretty fixated on it being the Ancestors trying to send them a message. Rodney was excited about "Sam" and would have continued investigating and found the lab with or without Teyla. At least that's the way I saw it. I liked Teyla in this, don't get me wrong. Her reactions to the ghosts show just how strongly her beliefs in the Ancestors are still ingrained in her, even after all this time with the Atlantis team. It was a good episode for Teyla. But I really don't think she had anything to do with the solution - Rodney would have found it anyway because of his interest in the whales.

Just my opinion! :D

Lauriel
April 24th, 2007, 08:21 AM

I'm really not sure on my Atlantean history, but as far as I know, the war ended 10,000 years ago, when they moved to Earth. Does it ever say how long the war went for? I know 5,000 years is a long time for a war, but we are talking about the time it took the Wraith to dominate an entire galaxy, so I imagine it would be somewhat lengthy. Just a thought.

Falcon Horus
April 24th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Teyla was pretty fixated on it being the Ancestors trying to send them a message.

Which they did, through the whales... :p

It was a whale-o-gram.

sparklegem
April 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM
I really enjoyed this episode. I'm confused on something however, and if it's something I missed I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Why would Beckett let the no-name die of an aneurism? I know they weren't to the point where everybody would jump ship and abandon Atlantis, but why weren't the ones that were growing seriously ill from the whales beamed aboard the Daedalus temporarily as a precaution?

maxbo
April 28th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Hmmm, I have to watch this episode again, but I was under the impression that they either didn't realize the magnitude of the problem before people started dying or the Daedalus wasn't in range to beam people up earlier. In any event, I don't see Carson "letting" anyone die if he could prevent it. That's not the kind of character he is.

sparklegem
April 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
You're right about Beckett, which is why I was confused. I just went back to the episode transcript, however, and I answered my own question. I guess I wasn't paying close enough attention. Thanks for the input, though, maxbo.

CALDWELL: The sick patients have been beamed up. Our Infirmary’s filled.

WEIR: Thank you. Unfortunately, more people are falling ill down here, so it’s not really making much of a dent.

^That's before no-name (okay technically he's Bell) died.

kvasir 2.0
April 28th, 2007, 12:30 PM
ZPM stregnthened shields can withstand anything. And with it they could come pick up SG-1 a lot quicker with it boosting the hyperdrive.

Falcon Horus
April 28th, 2007, 03:13 PM
ZPM stregnthened shields can withstand anything. And with it they could come pick up SG-1 a lot quicker with it boosting the hyperdrive.

Err...what episode were you watching?

Diesel Vanilla
April 28th, 2007, 04:15 PM
This was handsdown my favourite episode of Season 3. Absolutely fantastic - great plot - kept me guessing, great use of all the characters and wonderful interaction between them. It just felt really whole as an episode, everything I wanted was there. The mix of humour and imminent peril was particularly spot on for me too. The infirmary scenes after McKay and Shep had their ear-drums perforated were cracking!

My reviewing skills leave much to be desired, so I'll leave with a simple, "ECHOES ROCKED"! :D

newbiegater
April 29th, 2007, 06:45 PM
I agree...this episode was really, really good. I loved it when John carried Elizabeth; I think that's really sweet. And, Ronon was really sweet with Teyla. It's great that they're building up the relationships between the team members.

I got a little bit freaked by the Ancient woman, which is a tribute to how well they did it! I stopped being freaked when I found out what was going on.

Great episode; keep them coming!

borgprincess
April 30th, 2007, 10:49 PM
This is one of my favorite eps of the season. Along with Progeny and Submersion, because the writers use Weir! That's a cause for celebration in my head, anyway.

Now, of all the things I love about this ep [most of which are too shipp-ish to mention, for fear of causing mass illness], the one criticism I have is this. Why didn't they beam the whales away? Caldwell spent most of his time in this ep beaming up the ill crewmembers, filling up his infirmary- but before they knew about the impending disaster, when all they knew was that the whales were making everyone sick, why didn't they use that cool Asgard beam [one of the few tech advances TPTB have allowed the show to keep] to transport the whales to the other side of the planet? Or at least a safe distance away from the city?

Falcon Horus
May 1st, 2007, 05:12 AM
Because it's probably easier to beam people aboard, then it is a whale. Not sure, but I think they first have to be beamed aboard before beamed elsewhere (like Ford in The Siege III).

And every member of the expedition has a subcutaneous transmitter implanted in their arms, making it easier to locate and beam.

TPTB didn't think of that at the time. :p

borgprincess
May 1st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Good point. I suppose I'm thinking of Star Trek's transporter, because they stored the particles or whatever in a buffer indefinitely before remateralizing it somewhere else. They didn't need to beam from one point to the ship and then to another, it was a site-to-site sort of thing.

I hadn't thought of Ford, and of course, you're right- he was beamed to the ship first and then down to the city, so maybe that was the problem with my suggestion. A whale the size of a football field [and that was the baby, Sam, wasn't it?] would cause some trouble appearing on the Daedalus!

1DanielForMe
May 10th, 2007, 01:55 AM
I love "Echoes"! It's actually my favourite episode of Atlantis so far.

Alexandra
August 3rd, 2007, 01:00 AM
I like Echoes too, a lot. It is my favourite SGA season 3 episode.

And the reason I like it is because the team has to deal with a dangerous situation that they don't understand and that the solution doesn't involve any explosion or gun fire scenes.
I am a pacifist and agaisnt weapons when not really necessary, so I guess that's how I like it.

And the idea was new and original too, as far as I know. Almost all the episodes until now were focused on fighting the wraith, meeting people that we don't know much about and that were culled by the wraith. But this ep is different, it doesn't involve the enemy, it happens at their door step, and it is still interesting even if no lethal force is required.

This ep shows me that the actors can do a great job in drama-like episodes, when they don't have to run around with guns or blow things up. So this is a green point for the actors. For the writers may be too, but considering that there are not much episodes of this sort, I wouldn't give it to them yet.

Great job! :)

MmmmMcKAy
September 23rd, 2007, 05:22 PM
Liked Echoes...didn't love it. It seemed to move a little slowly.

For some reason everyone calling the creatures whales when, in fact, they were fish(as Rodney discovered in the data base) ticked me off.

Liked that Rodney was so happy to see his "friend" again.

Some good Teyla/Ronan interaction. They have a tight bond as the two non-Earth people on Atlantis.

John and Rodney infirmary scene was cute.:)

Caldwell is hard core....Let's just kill them.:D

Trek_Girl42
September 24th, 2007, 12:31 AM
Liked Echoes...didn't love it. It seemed to move a little slowly.

For some reason everyone calling the creatures whales when, in fact, they were fish(as Rodney discovered in the data base) ticked me off.

Liked that Rodney was so happy to see his "friend" again.

Some good Teyla/Ronan interaction. They have a tight bond as the two non-Earth people on Atlantis.

John and Rodney infirmary scene was cute.:)

Caldwell is hard core....Let's just kill them.:D
Aww! I wanted to smack Caldwell across the head when he suggested that! :P

And I like that they called them whales rather than fish- since, you know, whales sound cuter, and there's nothing weirder than a cute loveable "villain" that you really want to live. Every show should have at least one episode with whales, I hope "Sam" shows up again. There's no way the writers could resist an introduction between Sam and "Sam" in season four. :D

I love seeing lots of regular Atlantis life, the scene with them in the infirmiry beds was priceless. The shouting was funny and not over-extended, liked the little cap-off of that at the end with Weir.

I loved it, I can see why some wouldn't though. I thought there was lots of nice stuff here for all of the characters.

MechaThor
October 31st, 2007, 07:38 AM
They are not whales they are FISH!

Lol classic Epsiode with a clever and intresting story which we would NEVER have gottern on SG-1.

I am glad they revisted the Whales. And we got some more details about them. Such as how they are fish not wahles and that the ancients use to communicate with them and where learning each others languages. Which is a nice way of showing who the ancients introduced and communicated with other Sentiant life forms Humanoid or not (not in this case).

The Bubble talk noises where good as was the burnt man. The CGI looked sweet. At some points the whales looked alittle stiff (especailly when tail slapping)

Anyways a gd, fun epsiode and diffrent epsiode.
Finally Caldwell would upset the aliens from that Star Trek film with his "kill the whales" speech. lol classic Caldwell!

John W
November 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM
After the previous episode, I wasn't expecting much from this episode, but thankfully I was wrong.

I was expecting something akin to "Star Trek 4" (I'm sorry, I still think that's the worst Star Trek film. I'm a huge Star Trek fan and always have been, so please don't think I hate Star Trek. I just think it's such a huge departure from all the other films and somewhat embarrassing in a lot of places. Although it did have some good bits, I'll give you that). I was pleasantly surprised that the episode actually turned into something of a ghost story, for half the episode at least. It was really unsettling, especially when Teyla has the second hallucination and that burns victim steps out from behind a door. While this episode wasn't as scary as SG-1's "Legacy" (which still freaks me out!), it did still unsettle me a lot as I wondered what scary stuff would happen next.

It was rather interesting as the episode went on. I was expecting the whales to attack Atlantis. But they're actually heading for Atlantis both for protection and to warn them about the impending solar eruption. I thought this was a neat twist, although the basic "Whales trying to speak to tell us we're in great danger" thing sorta reminds me of stuff like "Flipper", "Lassie" or "Skippy The Bush Kangaroo".

One other thing I found hugely irritating and hard to believe was the fact that after last week's episode, they finally had all the ZPMs they need only they've given them away! I just couldn't believe that! All these years they've been going on about "Oh, if only we had more ZPMs we could power the shield, dial Earth, cloak the city etc." They totally throw that all out the window and I was right with Rodney for flooding Weir's inbox with e-mails complaining about this. What were the reasons again? They gave one to the Antarctic outpost on Earth and one to the Odyssey to fight the Ori (how exactly, I have no idea. I guess I'll find out in a later SG-1 episode). I'm so glad this came back to haunt them (excuse the pun!) later when Rodney tells Weir that if they hadn't given away the ZPMs, they'd have been able to protect Atlantis and most of the planet. I loved Weir's look of, "Oh man, I'm such a doofus!" In fact, I think they doubly stuffed themselves up because if they'd had all the ZPMs and hadn't shot-up the stardrive, they probably could've just taken off and flown away from the solar flare (although obviously that would've fried the whales, not to mention the Athosians on the mainland who seemed to be strangely forgotten in this episode! I'm guessing they've decided to stay on the planet they moved to in the previous episode).

Anyway, overall not one of the best episodes. But not one of the worst either.

garhkal
November 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Or they could have taken the fully stocked with ZPM city up and used it's shields like the dadelus did..

chevron3
March 30th, 2008, 07:57 PM
liked this 1 a lot. it was something, well, different. the 1st time( ok fine & the 2nd time) i watched it, i jumped when i saw the poor burned pilot in the elevator.

Lianne
May 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I really liked this ep. I didnt know what it would be about (I didnt read the previews/reviews) and I was really pleasantly surprised. Besides, I think the whole Rodney - Sheppard dialogue and the last scene with Rodney looking at the whale with that smile of his was very cute :o

gateship15
August 18th, 2008, 02:15 AM
i just like what rodney called the whale that saved him its an ok episode

yunadax
January 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM
This ep must be in my top 5 list. It has the humour, the drama, the character interaction, and the sweet shippy moments most of us love :)

gateship15
January 13th, 2009, 11:24 PM
true after watching it again i liked this episode more in fact i watched it 2 more times i still love the whales name is sam and u are right it is very funny i guess i was tired the first time i watched it i love Rodney episodes

yunadax
January 17th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Gotta love the way they continued Rodney's fascination with Sam Carter all through SGA - this was another classic example :)

Falcon Horus
January 17th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Gotta love the way they continued Rodney's fascination with Sam Carter all through SGA - this was another classic example :)

To some classic, to some a bit obsessive behavior. :p

gateship15
January 18th, 2009, 01:07 AM
lol i agree and i think that is what makes him fascinating.

Automission
February 23rd, 2009, 01:46 AM
You know, I was watching this today and I realised they had a very easy option to pick, over Colonel Caldwells murder idea. Why didn't they use the asgard beaming technology to lock other every whale (A mundane task to lock on to each one, yes but doable) then beam them all to the other side of the planet?
By the time they swam back the coronal mass would have ejected already. Although if they did this they may not have known it was coming.

gateship15
February 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM
yes and they would have died with every whale because as they said the coronal masses ejection would have destroyed half the planet and made it unhabitable so even if they sent the whales to the half that wouldn't get destroyed they themselves would have been killed

Butlersgate
March 7th, 2009, 06:24 AM
lmao Mckay calling the whale sam...

gateship15
March 7th, 2009, 07:32 PM
i know i thought that was funny altho i think some of the other characters thought that was disturbing

clauz89
May 13th, 2009, 09:46 AM
nice episode.
I wonder why, in the first scene, Radek is not wearing the atlantis scientist uniform but "the perfect engineer uniform"....:zelenka25:

major davis
May 15th, 2009, 02:09 PM
It was ok.

6/10

gateship15
May 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
nice episode.
I wonder why, in the first scene, Radek is not wearing the atlantis scientist uniform but "the perfect engineer uniform"....:zelenka25:

i don't know but that is interesting i didn't even notice i must watch it again and notice next time.

escyos
June 5th, 2009, 01:21 AM
did anyone else think the whales were gonna jump out of the ocean and fly away like the dolphins in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

gateship15
June 7th, 2009, 12:12 AM
no :) great thought tho

ktebid
March 13th, 2010, 11:09 PM
An interesting episode. It was nice to have an ep with no actual enemy and the team being threatened by a natural occurance.

gateship15
March 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM
yep i agree

Martina Magnus
July 14th, 2010, 05:31 AM
An interesting episode. It was nice to have an ep with no actual enemy and the team being threatened by a natural occurance.

Agree :D

mrscopterdoc
September 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Not one of my favorite episodes but it was good. I like Rodney calling the whale Sam :P and it seems like the plan to save the day came from Sheppy this time :D

fumblesmcstupid
September 24th, 2010, 12:00 AM
I love the scene where John & Rodney are making their escape from the medlab. Joe and David almost ruined the scene by laughing as they were shouting to Carson and Elizabeth. You can see it in their eyes, it's nice to see that they also thought the scene was funny.

gateship15
September 30th, 2010, 06:00 PM
i love rodney calling the whale sam if i was sam i don't know if i would be insulted or flattered

maneth
January 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Great episode, I really like it. And good to see that some good came out of the replicators invading Atlantis.

mathpiglet
June 3rd, 2011, 03:51 PM
Great episode! I liked learning more about the Ancient database.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
August 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Just finished watching it, the ending was awesome with the beam of light hitting the Daedalus' shields. It was cool hearing Shep call Rodney, Meredith. And the visual effects were pretty cool, but nothing compares to the one from last weeks episode. Overall it wasn't as good as last week's episode. I give it a ** 1/2.
Agreed.

If I had to pick a visual effect sequence (that isn't a space battle) that's my favorite so far, it's the CME crashing into the Daedalus.

Tomorrow, a crap episode, probably.

Krisz
August 17th, 2012, 08:56 PM
This was a surprisingly good episode. It was good to see the team dealing with an alien life form where communication was not straight forward. The ingenious use of hallucinations to communicate images of a danger that had been faced by the Ancients in the past and the whales passing it on down the generations was fantastic. The fact that the Ancient technology being used was something that helped instead of destroyed was a nice change!!! :P

The Daedalus facing the sun was awesome! Great special effects, watching bits fly off the ship added to the tension, but they saved the day, thanks to the whales a wonderful example of two totally different species working together to save all of them! :)

jelgate
August 19th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Who doesn't love a good mystery? That is ultimately what this epiosde is. This is a mystery of why the alien whales are acting strange. It became obvious very suddenly that the images Teyla (and others) were seeing and the sudden emergence of the whales was more then concidental. The mystery part that makes it interesting is more what the connection is? The notion that the whale can project images that we can see is very interesting. Its also interesting that they can remember something so specific to a tragedy that happend 10,000 years ago. Its not like we can remember something that happened so long ago. But I just find it interesting that they could remember the sun emitting vast amounts of radiation. Sorry FH but I find Kate very useless in this this epiosde. What was the point in showing her in this episodes? Starting Teyla off as crazy just seemed liked filler to stretch the episode. Despite that I liked the episode because like I said it was an unpredictible mystery. Although the fact we magically now have 3 ZPMs does annoy me. After losing the one in McKay and Mrs. Miller it was too easy to now have a new one

Lieutenant Sparrow
August 20th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Not a bad ep.

Trying to teach Ronon how to meditate. Now that's a lost cause if I ever saw one haha.

It was funny when Shep and McKay were practically deaf. What?

The CGI of the flame hitting the Daedalus was great.

Falcon Horus
August 20th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Sorry FH but I find Kate very useless in this this epiosde. What was the point in showing her in this episodes?

You would deny me one less episode of my owner... I'm going to ignore you said that. :p

No wait...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y188/FalconHorus/Smiley/Other/UltimaTrout.gif

jelgate
August 20th, 2012, 10:48 AM
I think LInda has hacked FH's account

Falcon Horus
August 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM
I think LInda has hacked FH's account

:lol:

Matt G
August 23rd, 2012, 02:09 PM
MIdweek, another ep of Atlantis...

1. The Ancients sounded more whale like this time round.

2. Ah, nosebleeds, not nice.

3. DEadalus vs the sun...nuts!

Solid enough ep.

garhkal
August 26th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Perhaps the "Whales" had their own version of a Gou'ald like genetic memory..??

Jae'a
September 7th, 2012, 10:16 AM
My LiveJournal post (http://jo-r-lee.livejournal.com/70415.html)
Aw, I love those whales. Well, whale-like fish. :D

Cluas
February 19th, 2013, 05:46 AM
I really enjoyed this one. Good episode, with lots of things going on. It was very interesting to see the whales again, and get a little more explanation of what happened in last season, when Rodney first met "Sam" ...

The scene with Rodney and John yelling "what?" made med laugh

:weir:

Baron Of Hell
August 29th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I liked the episode but thought the ghost part could have been dropped. The one odd thing was the ancients speaking ancient when in every other episode they speak English.

garhkal
September 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM
Perhaps that was cause the 'ghosts' were being projected BY the whales who don't speak english..

mrscopterdoc
August 20th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Trying to teach Ronon how to meditate. Now that's a lost cause if I ever saw one haha.

I know, right? :lol: