Out of Gas screwup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of Gas screwup

I was rewatching the Series again the other week and I noticed that everything they say in Chinese is in Mandarin. When the Firefly's life support system goes down, it goes into Cantonese not Mandarin lol.
    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Omgwtfbbq!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic View Post
      I was rewatching the Series again the other week and I noticed that everything they say in Chinese is in Mandarin. When the Firefly's life support system goes down, it goes into Cantonese not Mandarin lol.
      Isn't that cause Cantonese and Mandarin are the most popular dialects of Chinese?
      Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
      Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

No one even said that everything was mandarin, its only shown as being the most commonly used, so how can choosing a different dialect be a mistake?
        Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
        - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Really i didnt even notice that. I was too buisy catching all the other bloppers to even notice wow.
          sigpic
          Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Mandarin is more widely used than Cantonese. Cantonese is mainly used in the Hong Kong region. Mandarin and other village dialects are used throughout the rest of China and Taiwan.

I believe Joss Whedon said in an interview that the setting of Firefly was that only China and US was the only 2 superpowers left and everyone had to learn Mandarin and English so people were able to flip between Mandarin and English so easily.
            Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Cantonese and Mandarin aren't Chinese dialects...they're entirely different languages.
              sigpic
              Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by sueKay View Post
                Cantonese and Mandarin aren't Chinese dialects...they're entirely different languages.
                not really. They use the same written language. It's the speaking that's different. Mandarin has about 4 or 5 different levels? whereas Cantonese has 7 to 9+.. that's why you can easily tell which language is being spoken. Mandarin is spoken faster and sort of in a slur since there's so few levels. It sounds a bit more 'elegant' in comparison though. Cantonese is more slower and more pronunciated and as such, clearer. Sometimes, people speaking Cantonese sound like they're fighting. It's been said that a Cantonese person can learn Mandarin easier but it's harder for a Mandarin person to learn Cantonese because of the levels. I am Cantonese but I can't really read/write the language... I rely on memorizing as much as I can and I can read and order Chinese food which is basically what I'd need to survive. Firefly's Mandarin is sometimes lost on me as I don't really know what is being said.

Comment

It says here they are dialects of Chinese.

Definition for Cantonese:
                  http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta=

Definition for Mandarin, it's the last definition:
                  http://www.google.com.au/search?num=...G=Search&meta=
                  Originally posted by Rainbow Sun Francks
                  Live within the moment. There is only now, ENJOY.

Proud F.O.R.D. Member My LiveJournal Rainbow/Aiden Ford Thunk Thread

Comment

Hmm...how come one of my closest friends is completely fluent in Cantonese (it's her first language) but can't speak Mandarin.

She says all the two have in common are the symbols but besides that they're completely different.
                    sigpic
                    Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

Originally posted by Xanderic View Post
                      You're assuming it was a screw-up and not completely intentional. The multi-cultural aspect of the show was important to Joss Whedon and China(half the alliance) has two languages. It was probably his way of putting Cantonese into the show without having the actors learn both languages.
                      Captain John Sheridan: [practicing his apology for blowing up a Centauri War Cruiser] I apologize. I'm sorry. I'm sorry we had to defend ourselves against an unwarranted attack. I'm sorry that your crew was stupid enough to fire on a station filled with a quarter million civilians, including your own people. And I'm sorry I waited as long as I did before I blew them all straight to hell! As with everything else it's the thought that counts.

Beta Ray Bill: “ I have battled in the vastness of space and bled in the depths of Hell! Come for me, and you come for death!!!” Omega Flight #5 of 5

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath View Post
                        You're assuming it was a screw-up and not completely intentional. The multi-cultural aspect of the show was important to Joss Whedon and China(half the alliance) has two languages. It was probably his way of putting Cantonese into the show without having the actors learn both languages.
                        yeah that could be true
                        sigpic
                        Many thanks to geekywraith for the wonderful sig

Comment

Hmm...how come one of my closest friends is completely fluent in Cantonese (it's her first language) but can't speak Mandarin.

She says all the two have in common are the symbols but besides that they're completely different.
                          See post above. Written is same. Speech is different. And a lot of Canto's can't speak Mando and vice versa. Once you're used to one, it's hard to understand the other unless your family speaks both. One of my friends... her mom's mando... dad's canto... parents speak chinglish... she speaks all 3 plus French since it's Canada's 2nd official language.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirath View Post
                            I have thought it might be intentional... considering how Mal buys Serenity from a Junkyard... that says that the firefly class is pretty old and therefore, before the alliance (or just after), the firefly was made. At that time, Canto may have been a language before... and then eventually through time, Canto usage decreased and went into existinction. The firefly may have been made in some cheap Canto speaking place.... sort of like a Railway production line with the Chinese (talking about US and the railway here)... only this time it's with ships.

Comment

That's what I'd always understood; and I believe Japanese is also written the same.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                              X