This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a name

i'm writing a fan fiction, and i can't come up with a name for my bad guy.

i don't feel like randomly pressing keys.

i got my sister's Mythologica book, but i don't really know what i'm looking for. i'll probably come up with something, but i just wanted a couple suggestions from other people.

has to be a really bad guy.

um... that's about it lol.

see! it's not that easy.

beware: yes i'm writing fan fiction again. it's not my fault lol. Rya convinced me! go yell at her

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
    Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Well, you can consult the Cthulhu Mythos for some good, vile names. Most of them are a bit of a mouthful.

Kali, while very well known, is the Vedic personification of evil.

Mahu is one of the names of the Devil (King Lear reference).

This site has some good names. Probably faster than searching through the Encyclopedia Mythica.

Good luck.

Comment

why thanks shadow

the book that my sister has is called Mythologica. big 528 paged hard cover book. i'll never get through there lol.

i'll have to tear my sister's room apart to find this little book of myths lol.

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
        i'm writing a fan fiction, and i can't come up with a name for my bad guy.
        When I need an original name for a villain, I do a couple of different things.

I've got one villain that I'm writing right now that I knew needed to be Egyptian and needed to be an assassin of sorts, so I went looking specifically for an Egyptian god that killed a lot of people. Found one! I ended up choosing Asmodai, a lesser Egyptian god who killed quite a few people and had a really intersting Christian tie-in to boot, from which I actually ended up drawing the basis for my OFC as well.

The other thing I do is pick a certain attribute I want the character to have, and then look for a close match to that in a dictionary of the language I'm going to have his people speak. For instance, I needed a name for a Celtic descendant that would spend most of his time acting in what he believed to be SG-1's best interest (which of course is exactly the opposite of what he thinks it is). So I hit some Celtic dictionaries, and I came up with Tuathal, which is the Celtic word for "counter-clockwise."

Then again, you can always just make stuff up.
        ~bri~

Comment

How about the name Cobra Commander? Wait....I think that one might be in use.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

another place is www.pantheon.org

it's got all sorts of mythological entries.
            Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
              another place is www.pantheon.org

it's got all sorts of mythological entries.
              lol

i love that site.

i have the books and imagination i need, i just was wondering if anyone here had any cool names to suggest lol.

Comment

I'd call the bad guys "Christians." (jk!!) lol.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                  Well, you can consult the Cthulhu Mythos for some good, vile names. Most of them are a bit of a mouthful.

Kali, while very well known, is the Vedic personification of evil.

Mahu is one of the names of the Devil (King Lear reference).

This site has some good names. Probably faster than searching through the Encyclopedia Mythica.

Good luck.
                  All I have to say to that my dear is this:

http://www.cthulhuforpresident.com/index.php

Comment

Azif- "Arabic word used to designate that nocturnal sound (made by insects) suppos'd to be the howling of daemons."

Beliar- Hebrew word for "wickedness"

Andras- god of quarrels

Dunno, Marty. I don't have any particular favorite "evil" names. I used "Seth" once as a bad guy. That was before I even saw the Stargate ep.

Comment

if i don't have a specific mythological need, then i just make one up.

for example, in a fic once i wanted to have a connection to anubis, so i named the 'bad guy' nepthys, who was one of the quartet of isis, osiris and seth, two of which were anubis' parents

for another fic, i wanted to toy with the idea of the natives being the descentents of the lost tribe of israel, so all the names were hebrew in origin.

if you just want a random baddie, make something up.

sometimes i'll take the first few letters of one name, last part of another and merge them into one

sigpic

Comment

if i don't have a specific mythological need, then i just make one up.

for example, in a fic once i wanted to have a connection to anubis, so i named the 'bad guy' nepthys, who was one of the quartet of isis, osiris and seth, two of which were anubis' parents

for another fic, i wanted to toy with the idea of the natives being the descentents of the lost tribe of israel, so all the names were hebrew in origin.

if you just want a random baddie, make something up.

sometimes i'll take the first few letters of one name, last part of another and merge them into one
                        i would make something up, but since it's a Stargate SG-1/Andromeda crossover i wanna have Andromeda show off with her knowledge of 'Ancient Earth' lol...

i'll go look some more... lol

i actually kind of like Beliar...

Comment

lol finally decided on Anthos. i have no clue where that came from. off the top of my head i guess. i looked on Pantheon.org for it, and found nothing. it seems farmillar for some reason... hmm... maybe someone's screenname lol.

Comment

if you want andromeda to do some funky research, i would suggest looking for a god whose name is similar to that and runnign with it.

or pick a trait that you want your baddie to have, then look for a corresponding god to that trait.

of course, you can also not bother with the mythology at all, and just run with it. let andromeda do the research but she's just doing all fictional research

sigpic

Comment

if you want andromeda to do some funky research, i would suggest looking for a god whose name is similar to that and runnign with it.

or pick a trait that you want your baddie to have, then look for a corresponding god to that trait.

of course, you can also not bother with the mythology at all, and just run with it. let andromeda do the research but she's just doing all fictional research
                              .... i'm using Anthos! it popped into my head yesterday, and i can't think of anything else. i'm using it. i actually wrote about 2 pages last night lol. i actually have an idea now of what i'm doing! yay

Comment

Working...
                              X