Clear All

The Search, Part One (303)

Stargate: Horizon - Season Three
    "The Search, Part One"

"The Search, Part One"
    Ep: 3.03
    Release Date: November 9th, 2006
    Written by Alex Rubit

With the Circle of the Ancients in their hands, the Horizon team gets Saunders to reveal the connection between the Circle and the Book of Nosah'trah.
    Outstanding
    40.00%
    Good
    53.33%
    Fair
    6.67%
    Poor
    0.00%
    Terrible
    0.00%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

The episode has now been released. As usual, it will be added to the site later. You can also expect the podcast to be up later today.

And here's the current link:

http://uk.geocities.com/alex_stargat...h_part_one.pdf

Comment

That was fantastic.

Some of the act endings were a little flat, but it was fantastic. A set-up episode, very; but some of the scenes were definitely tense and action-packed (I loved the battle on the Ancient world. Firing P90s at a Teltak is very much in the style of SG-1). I liked how mysterious things were still kept, and I like the relation between the Nebulan and the Ancients - but my guess is that the Nebulan ARE the Ancients, and they hail from the realm of existance to which the Ancients will eventually (within our space time) ascend.

I love that Grant's character is getting serious development. For the first time, I really felt like I was inside his mind, instead of looking at a typical military cut-out figure. I like his relation with Garrison, and I hope that she becomes a recurring character in some capacity.

Hmmm, very very nice.

Comment

I thought this episode was excellent. It was good all the way through. We finally learn of the nebulan and ancients relationship, which was not entirely original but the ancients had to had some sought of religion. Overall I felt the pace was alright, but I thought you would of had the attack fleet leaved at the end of the episode. I think Saunders appeared better this time around and not so gullible, personally I will go along that this was not actually a back up plan but instead this was his real plan all along with the kidnapping of Christine, it make his character more believable and in my view more likable, in a sense, made him more professional to. Also I think it was nice giving us more information on this organization, we know that they are powerful but how powerful are they and what is their real name, I am guessing it not really the trust anymore but what do I know. Also if they were part of the trust how did they avoid being infiltrated by Baal or senator Kinsley, just a few questions.

But I did wonder was it really necessary to have Callen taken away by the nebulans again, that scene to me seemed like it was a waste of time it did not reveal anything new, personally I would of love it if she told him he add to stop the attack on the Kih'Andari or something just to give the whole scene more relevance to the episode.

The only other complaint I have is that I have got to wait until next Thursday for the next episode.
        Last edited by knowles2; 10 November 2006, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I remember a while back, I said something about Williams, to the effect of "hmmm, I don't think we should trust him, hinthint." I seem to have been proven correct! Woot!

Comment

I remember a while back, I said something about Williams, to the effect of "hmmm, I don't think we should trust him, hinthint." I seem to have been proven correct! Woot!
            Yeah, as Alex says on the podcast, at that point we weren't actually going to go with the whole Trust angle, but I think it works best. Looks like you were spot on, Ryu, even if nobody knew it at the time.

Also I think it was nice giving us more information on this organization, we know that they are powerful but how powerful are they and what is their real name, I am guessing it not really the trust anymore but what do I know. Also if they were part of the trust how did they avoid being infiltrated by Baal or senator Kinsley, just a few questions.
            Well, they may have been at some point, the Trust actually went through much difficulty. However, this organization is made up mostly of the leftovers from the Trust, so even if they were infiltrated they kind of got a fresh start when Horizon entered the picture.

But I did wonder was it really necessary to have Callen taken away by the nebulans again, that scene to me seemed like it was a waste of time it did not reveal anything new, personally I would of love it if she told him he add to stop the attack on the Kih'Andari or something just to give the whole scene more relevance to the episode.
            The purpose of that, mainly, was to reaffirm Callen's belief in what he's doing. He's facing lots of pressure from Adari, and even some of the crew on board Horizon don't believe in this Book. Her appearance was ultimately necessary to reaffirm his confidence. Plus, you get the idea that there's lots of difficulty to be had ahead by her words.

I love that Grant's character is getting serious development. For the first time, I really felt like I was inside his mind, instead of looking at a typical military cut-out figure. I like his relation with Garrison, and I hope that she becomes a recurring character in some capacity.
            Indeed, the reactions between Garrison and Grant brought out great things in both of them, I think. Plus, we're always working to humanize the characters more, Grant included.

Glad you guys liked the episode. And splendid work, Alex.
            Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
            Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
            Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
            Stargate Destiny, Fan
            Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Thanks to everyone who's liked the episode.

Mike's already answered the questions that have come up. And I have to say that the idea of Ancient religion was something that definitely seemed very interesting, and I'm looking forward to exploring it more down the road. There's some more little revelations coming up in the next episode, and you may even find out
              Spoiler:
              just what name the Ancients had for the Nebulan.

All the comments are, as always, greatly appreceated. And here's hoping we'll see some more of them.

Comment

Oooh, my guess is that they call the Ancients the 'Originators.' Wouldn't that put an interesting spin on things?

Comment

Best episode so far this season, I thought.
                  It was very well-paced, and had some interesting revelations about the Ancients and Nebulan. I agree with Ryu, shooting at a Tel'tak did seem a very SG-1ish thing to do (in a good way).

Great job.

Comment

My best guest at what they called the nebulan, would be the sentinels, it would be a shocker, the ancients worshiped the very beings that have been trying to take over this universe.

Just a guest thought.

Comment

Hello all. Might I say great episode.
                      However I would have shot them, Saunders and his band of merry bad guys. I think in TV way to often you have a mexican stand off, and movies. More often I would like to see what Shepard, or Teal'c does. Either Shoot Saunders, or with a Zat shoot Christine which would hurt Saunders, then shoot the guards. Then go home, and really pump Saunders.
                      Besides I thought it was really stupid of them to go by gate, they should have at least suspected that Saunders was planning something. I would have taken the Valiant, or made a rendevouse with the ship. To hold a guard position over the planet, then you could have some way of the Trust finding a way to disable the Valiant, and that would be your way of doing Saunders's escape. I might have complained about that, but at least the team would not have seemed so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                        Hello all. Might I say great episode.
                        However I would have shot them, Saunders and his band of merry bad guys.
                        Are they really "bad guys?" Now there's an interesting question.

Besides I thought it was really stupid of them to go by gate, they should have at least suspected that Saunders was planning something.
                        I don't agree with that actually, and I was talking about it on the podcast too. Technically Saunders had no reason to escape; he had been pardoned at this point. Meaning that as soon as they'd find what they were looking for, he would have been a free man.

Sure, you can still argue they could have expected it to be a trap. And they did actually. None of them really trusted Saunders. But I don't think anyone would have reason to expect him to have such an elaborate backup plan.

I would have taken the Valiant, or made a rendevouse with the ship. To hold a guard position over the planet, then you could have some way of the Trust finding a way to disable the Valiant, and that would be your way of doing Saunders's escape. I might have complained about that, but at least the team would not have seemed so stupid.
                        That's an interesting idea, but it would have been way too elaborate and too long. If we had made it a five episode arc, and The Search a three parter, this would have worked. The reason is that it would have been a tough sell to have the Trust just disable the Valiant too easily; the Valiant's a tough little ship after all. So for that to work it would have had to be something quite elaborate, and I think it would take away from the main focus of the story. But that's just my oppinion.

I don't think the team acted stupid. Who knows how long it would have taken to go to that planet by ship, and the show's called "Stargate" after all. That is, at least the show has "Stargate" in its title.
                        Last edited by Alex Rubit; 11 November 2006, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Rubit View Post
                          Are they really "bad guys?" Now there's an interesting question.

I don't agree with that actually, and I was talking about it on the podcast too. Technically Saunders had no reason to escape; he had been pardoned at this point. Meaning that as soon as they'd find what they were looking for, he would have been a free man.

Sure, you can still argue they could have expected it to be a trap. And they did actually. None of them really trusted Saunders. But I don't think anyone would have reason to expect him to have such an elaborate backup plan.

That's an interesting idea, but it would have been way too elaborate and too long. If we had made it a five episode arc, and The Search a three parter, this would have worked. The reason is that it would have been a tough sell to have the Trust just disable the Valiant too easily; the Valiant's a tough little ship after all. So for that to work it would have had to be something quite elaborate, and I think it would take away from the main focus of the story. But that's just my oppinion.

I don't think the team acted stupid. Who knows how long it would have taken to go to that planet by ship, and the show's called "Stargate" after all. That is, at least the show has "Stargate" in its title.
                          Good points actually on all. The Valiant bit came while I was reading the episode, I still didin't trust Saunders enough at that point. I would've taken the ship. But still, you are right, the Valiant is certainly a tough ship. But, thats what I would've done. And I would not neccessarily go there by ship either, I'd send the Valiant to look over the planet, to stay up there protecting the team from space. And if Saunders complained about the delay I would have made up the cover story, 'the vorians have blocked gate travel because of the war, until further notice.' Which would have been lame, but there would be nothing that Saunders could do about it. I seriously doubt that he would have been able to radio his ship to suggest that it is a trap of their trap. Then again I do admit that this could be coming from watching previous things. AKA 24. I am abit behind everyone else, still on day five. And Peter Wellar's character blew Jack up. But regardless, I was thinking as they were going through the gate, you can't trust him.
                          And I've made the point of saying that I do agree with Saunders and his philosophies, but not about his methods. Taking civilian hostages, that goes beyond the pail, they should send a P-90 round up his arse.

Comment

Another good episode. As with all two-parters, it's obvious that this episode is there to set the scene for the more dramatic (hopefully) second half, but this stood up well on its own. I especially like the way that you're examining the ancients as fallible human beings, rather than the God-like ascended beings or the technologically superior geniuses we've seen in SG-1 and Atlantis. The interaction between Grant and Garrison was nicely mirrored in the interaction between Saunders and Chris - I like the morally ambiguous enemies much more than the traditional "super-villain" archetype.
                            Don't you want to look beyond the horizon?

In the 2 hours and 14 minutes that Torri Higginson was online, there were 272 posts in the Elizabeth Weir Wow Thread. I was responsible for 2 of them. (Oh yeah and Gateworld crashed, but that's not important)

Please click here to feed the hungry, protect endangered land, and help fight breast cancer without spending a penny (inspired by the Whistler 84 in Memoriam thread)

Comment

Jelgate’s Two Cents
                              This had a lot more focus of the Vorian civil war, and I couldn’t be happier about it . Truly enjoyable to see Callen conflictions with the president of Vorian over the issues of the civil war and the ancient book (can’t remember its actual name). We actually see a fleet of Vorian ships meeting at Horizon preparing for a final battle. I think the writer of this episode (most likely Alex) was that by putting Bayler on one of the ships was to shoe us insight into the battle in part two. There were some great moments in this episode between Bayler and Callen. Even though Bayler doesn’t believe the existence of the book, he respects Callen enough not argue over it. While I’m on the subject of Callen, let’s talk about the Nebulans. I am curious if the Nebulans will now continue to give Callen mysterious visions like they have to Grant. Now I need to talk about David and his family. He was only seen in a briefing and in his old quarters. I guess I am curious is he still a main character for S3. If he still is a main character, then what happens to David’s family? I loved the teasing of David between Julia and Tom. I can’t believe that Horizon trusted Saunders that much. They should never have let him go offworld in the first place; I thought Horizon would have more sense than knowing that he couldn’t be trusted. I hope Christine’s capture was worth it. Finally I was shocked to find out that the Ancients saw Nebulans as gods. This episode is between a 3/5 and a 4/5
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X