Stupid n00b question-Hyperspace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid n00b question-Hyperspace

How fast do ships go when in hyperspace? The speed of light, twice the speed of light? Does it vary?
    Wier: Nice work Rodney!
    McKay: Did you ever doubt me?
    Wier: Yes, several times....
    [Stargate: ATLANTIS: Episode- 'The Eye' (1x11)]

Yes it varies. We've seen Asguard ships cross intergalactic distances in a very short time (hours at most) and that's over 2 million light years.

Comment

Goa'uld: 32,000c for centuries.
      Asgard: A few billion c.
      Human Nr.: around 230,000c IIRC.

Comment

What's c?
        "Maybe one day you will learn that your way is not the only way!"

Visit Dr. Radek Zelenka's Complete Translations and thunk thread

All translations will be found in the first post of this thread, though i recommend to read the whole discussion ;]

Comment

Assuming that the Asguard galaxy is 2 million light years away (that how far Andromeda is, the actual value is likely higher) and that the travel time between it and Earth is 1 hour we find that the travel speed is 17,520,000,000 c (where 1 c is the speed of light). Or approx 17 billion times the speed of light so that fits with what aAnubiSs posted. I'd say this is a lower limit for their speed.

As for Goa'uld ... We've seen ships travel a relatively short distence within our galaxy in a matter of hours. Our galaxy is approx 100.000 in diameter. Let's say 1000 light years (the current alpha site is around 700 light years away) equate to about 8 hours then we get 1,095,000 c or approx 1 million times the speed of light. Again, given what we've seen in eps like The Serpants lair (201) I'd say that that is close to a lower bound.

Comment

Originally posted by waz
            How fast do ships go when in hyperspace? The speed of light, twice the speed of light? Does it vary?
            (BAD) 'Spaceballs' joke here:

The newest Asgard ships now equipped with "Ludicrous Speed."

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

The Asgard are from the Galaxy of Ida, so I think it is a few million more lightyears away.

I also wondered about hyperspace speeds. My figuring of it relates it to internal combustion engines. The faster you go the faster you consume fuel. The Goauld/Asgard ships are probably very very fast, but when you have to go long distance you have to slow down as not to consume all your fuel.

Basically its a consumption rates problem. Even with a super power source you are still likely to deplete it over time. The Asgard obviously have a very powerful power plant that is meant for short intergalactic hyper fast trips, but it is unlikely that they could maintain those speed if they travelled to say Pegasus. In fact their engines might not be able to travel that far without consuming all of their fuel.

Its all well and good having a v8 engine, its FAST, but definitely not built for distance. The Asgard probably developed their engines purposely to make fast trips into our galaxy, which requires a short inter-galactic range but at incredible speeds. Even if well a fully fueled ship I doubt the Asgard could zip over to Pegasus even at the a slower pace without depleting the tanks so to speak.

I think the modifications that O'neill made to the Cargo ship were designed to remove the speed cap from the engines to allow it to pull in more power and therefore travel faster. The side effect being that it would damage the engines very quickly or deplete the powerplant in a very short time.

The cargo ship made a sprint across the galaxy and then to another galaxy. In a few days at hyperspeeds it wasted the engines completely. I think the Goauld are probably capable of travelling to other galaxies but don't see a need too. Plus any ship they would send would require quite a lot of spare parts and modifications to insure the ship survived long enough to get to another galaxy. The Mothership that Jacob,Carter,Sam,Jack,Daniel were on when they blow up the sun which carely capable of trans-galactic travel, but at a pace. This pace makes the travel unappealing to the Goauld. Though they would live long enough to complete the journey their Jaffas wouldn't. Especially a Goauld wouldn't risk it.

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                Goa'uld: 32,000c for centuries.
                Asgard: A few billion c.
                Human Nr.: around 230,000c IIRC.
                What exactly does this mean?

Comment

Originally posted by jpf190279
                  The Asgard are from the Galaxy of Ida, so I think it is a few million more lightyears away.

I also wondered about hyperspace speeds. My figuring of it relates it to internal combustion engines. The faster you go the faster you consume fuel. The Goauld/Asgard ships are probably very very fast, but when you have to go long distance you have to slow down as not to consume all your fuel.

Basically its a consumption rates problem. Even with a super power source you are still likely to deplete it over time. The Asgard obviously have a very powerful power plant that is meant for short intergalactic hyper fast trips, but it is unlikely that they could maintain those speed if they travelled to say Pegasus. In fact their engines might not be able to travel that far without consuming all of their fuel.

Its all well and good having a v8 engine, its FAST, but definitely not built for distance. The Asgard probably developed their engines purposely to make fast trips into our galaxy, which requires a short inter-galactic range but at incredible speeds. Even if well a fully fueled ship I doubt the Asgard could zip over to Pegasus even at the a slower pace without depleting the tanks so to speak.

I think the modifications that O'neill made to the Cargo ship were designed to remove the speed cap from the engines to allow it to pull in more power and therefore travel faster. The side effect being that it would damage the engines very quickly or deplete the powerplant in a very short time.

The cargo ship made a sprint across the galaxy and then to another galaxy. In a few days at hyperspeeds it wasted the engines completely. I think the Goauld are probably capable of travelling to other galaxies but don't see a need too. Plus any ship they would send would require quite a lot of spare parts and modifications to insure the ship survived long enough to get to another galaxy. The Mothership that Jacob,Carter,Sam,Jack,Daniel were on when they blow up the sun which carely capable of trans-galactic travel, but at a pace. This pace makes the travel unappealing to the Goauld. Though they would live long enough to complete the journey their Jaffas wouldn't. Especially a Goauld wouldn't risk it.

Thoughts?
                  I think you're right. I wonder if any Goa'uld has ever taken an intergalactic journey before just to check stuff out. What do you think?

Comment

32,000 times faster then light
                    and so on.

And I think hyperspace-speed is related to how much energy you put into the hyperspace window. I don't think the sublight engines has any part of it, since then the problem with c would still occur at high c.

Think of hyperspace a a apple, the more energy you put in the deeper into the apple you go, and hence has to travel a shorter distance around the core.

Comment

Of course there is no such galaxy But let's assume that there is. Unless it's a dwarf galaxy (and we've seen nothing to indicate that) it would have to be further from the Milky Way then 2 million light years since that is the approx. distance to Andromeda, our nearest galactic neighbor.

The problem here is that it some point Pegasus was identified as a galaxy in our "local group". The local group is made up of about 24-30 galaxies (counting dwarf galaxies) with Andromeda the biggest and the Milky Way as the second biggest. Even assuming that Ida is also a part of this group the distance between Ida and Pegasus can not be significantly greater then between Ida and the Milky Way. Maybe a factor of ten, or even (very unlikely) a factor of 100. But that's still within reach given how incredably quickly they can make the round trip to Earth and back home.

Does anyone recall if the distance to Ida was ever stated?

Comment

Thor said that the Beliskner was equipped with four nutrino-ion generators. And that was one of their old ships. Unless you can explain how those types of generators produce energy, stop all of this "TEH ASGUARD WILL RUN OUT OF FUAL LOLZ" talk
                        Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

Everyone run out of fuel without a constant income of fuel, doesn't matter what reactors and technology you use.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                            Everyone run out of fuel without a constant income of fuel, doesn't matter what reactors and technology you use.
                            Says the Earthling.
                            Thor: The Asgard would never invent a weapon that propels small weights of iron and carbon alloys, by igniting a powder of potassium nitrate, charcoal and sulphur.

Comment

It's the most basic rule in the universe. Energy can not be destroyed nor created, it can only be converted

Atleast I haven't seen any indication that I'm wrong in real life nor in sci-fi.

Comment

Working...
                              X