Lindelof & Cuse talk to TV Guide's Ausiello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lindelof & Cuse talk to TV Guide's Ausiello

Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse answer questions put forth by Michael Ausiello in his November 8th edition of “Ask Auseillo” at TVGuide.com.

Not too spoilery as long as you've seen all of Season 3 so far, imo. More general than specific.

A couple of the questions:

Spoiler:
    Thank you! We have limited time, so I'm going to cut right to the chase. More than anything, AA readers wanna know if Michael and/or Walt will appear this season.

Carlton: We have a very clear plan for this season, and I don't think we'll get back to Michael and Walt's story this season.

With Eko gone, you no longer have any African-American men in the cast.

Carlton: Harold Perrineau's story is not finished. He is not on the show currently, but I think everybody is very curious to know what happened to Michael and Walt, and we hope to get back to that story. That character is still out there in the Lost universe.

One other complaint I'm hearing this season is that new mysteries are being presented before old ones are solved. Can you say anything about that?

Carlton: We're always in this sort of balancing act. [We want] to keep the audience engaged by the underlying mysteries of the show, but we also want to try to answer questions and give people some satisfaction. And I think maybe the pendulum has swung a little too much into the “Well, we need more answers” category, and we try to be attentive to that. I think there are some upcoming episodes — after the break in the spring — that will answer a number of the open questions. We certainly plan to tell the audience this year how Locke got in the wheelchair.

Damon: We'll be getting a lot more detailed about what happened to Locke, Eko and Desmond following the immediate aftermath of the hatch exploding, imploding or potentially doing something else.

Carlton: We're doing a flashback story where you'll find out how Jack got his tattoos.

Damon: And we'll begin peeling back layers of who the Others are, how long they've been on the island, what their origins are. That's really the sort of uber-plot of Season 3. And here's the thing: At the end of season 2, we downloaded a hell of a lot of mythology in those last couple episodes. We explained why the plane crashed and whether or not the button was the real deal. But at the same time, every time we close one door we have to open up another or else we risk falling victim to the Twin Peaks curse, which is that once they told you who killed Laura Palmer, there was no reason to watch the show anymore.

Carlton: What you might also be feeling is that kind of sense that we're basically working on Episode 60, so that's a lot of hours to not know, “What's the nature of this island? Where is this island?" The overarching mysteries of Lost remain unanswered. But those questions have to remain unanswered until the show ends. That's something we don't know and we're not in control of when it is going to end. We will attempt to answer some of the transitory questions, but obviously, the big ones have to stay unanswered.

When the plane crashed, Ben told Goodwin that if he ran he could be at the crash site in an hour. Now if they're on two different islands, how could he possibly do that? Walk on water?

Carlton: That island isn't necessarily where they live. It's not necessarily the same place where we saw those guys in the beginning of the teaser of the season premiere this year. I think that would be a very reasonable explanation as to how Goodwin and Ethan could run from the Others' home camp to the crash site.

You guys have been quoted as saying you're going to drop a "bomb" during the second half of the season.

Damon: There are two bombs being dropped, one of which is a character bomb, and that will happen within the first three episodes after the break. And the other is a more significant story bomb, a game-changer, as it were, and that will happen shortly after.

Click the link and scroll down to read the whole thing.
    IMO always implied.

*has brain explosion*
    sigpic
    Eagles may soar free and proud, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.
    "We're not going to Guam are we?"

Comment

All I can say is "D'oh!". I curse breaks in general. First Stargate, now Lost.
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Working...
      X