X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla= Incompetent diplomat!!!

SPOILERS FOR UNDERGROUND

It may be just me but it seemed like three of the four members of the Atlantis team need some serious work in the area of diplomacy.

The worst was definetly Teyla when she told the Genii (just after they managed to avoid getting executed by them) that the wraith were awake because of the SGA team. It's one thing to be telling a close ally the true reason the wraith are awake but these people just about SHOT her and the reason the wraith are awake is immaterial to the purpose of their alliance (destroying them). Given that Teyla is the leader of a people it seems to me she should know better than to let the ideal of honesty get in the way of diplomacy. This highminded behaviour on her part seemed especially baffling given that later in the episode she doesn't even hesitate before leaving the her Genii companion (who we know was not dead since wraith weapons only stun for later feeding) to the wraith when he is shot (ironically her selfish behaviour has the same effect as her altruistic behaviour: turning the Genii against them).

In the case of Shepperd his inability to negotiate or avoid agreeing to a deal before talking to Weir is of concern in a foreign galaxy but hardly inconsistent with a military officer who has an independent streak. McKay's stupidity when it comes to revealing valuable information is also consistent with his character but nonetheless dangerous.

btw: Anyone think that Shepperd (an officer who was severly reprimanded for disobeying orders to save his comrades) didn't object in the slightest to leaving a member (albeit a member of a people who threatened to kill him on two ocasions) of his team behind?

Seems to me that Teyla and Shepperd have had their character compromised and confused to allow for a new enemy to be introduced into the series.

You know you said three in the begining and only post about two people?

Also, I think you're right about Teyla, she should have not told the entire truth. Maybe a little bit of a white lie would have done the job.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Yes.. I agree...

DownFall Angel,

McKay, Sheppard and Teyla are three people, not two.

Comment

I agree and I wonder if it's a setup to put Weir into the episodes a little more since she is the diplomat.

Comment

Those are just more good reasons to get Weir out of Atlantis. Maker her do the job she'd done all her life before Stargate.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by TheAncientOne
            btw: Anyone think that Shepperd (an officer who was severly reprimanded for disobeying orders to save his comrades) didn't object in the slightest to leaving a member (albeit a member of a people who threatened to kill him on two ocasions) of his team behind?
            He did hesitate,didn't want to leave him behind but then was told to go by Cohen.
            Wier: Nice work Rodney!
            McKay: Did you ever doubt me?
            Wier: Yes, several times....
            [Stargate: ATLANTIS: Episode- 'The Eye' (1x11)]

Comment

Yeah, Teyla was unneccesarily forthcoming on the subject of how the Wraith were awakened. Just saying that the Wraith were awake and that they knew this because they had been attacked would have been more the sufficient. Excessive candor is probably not the best trait in a diplomat

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                You know you said three in the begining and only post about two people?

Also, I think you're right about Teyla, she should have not told the entire truth. Maybe a little bit of a white lie would have done the job.
                That's Ok. O'neill said "That's two 'Ls'" while holding up three fingers in 2001, so let's forgive the Prim'tah and give him/her a chance to mature (symbiote).

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                  Those are just more good reasons to get Weir out of Atlantis. Maker her do the job she'd done all her life before Stargate.
                  I'm certain that's one of the points of this episode....

Comment

That's Teyla, she's simpled minded like that. That's why she never suspected anything in her past dealings with them. It's a good thing too, because if she did find anything before she would probably be silenced already.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

..... the ideal of honesty....
                      ??? Personally, imo its always better to tell the truth without trying to sound like a superior know-it-all (though I probably am ) ...it never works out. Besides, the genii, thanks to us guys (stuupid move btw, helping people who don't fully trust you/ people who you don't trust, to build , above all things, a dang A-bomb!...) are almost ready to make their beloved bomb..despite it being against the wraith..therefore, i think sga-1 (??) were right in telling them a) coz if they didn't tell them and the wraith came relations would truly suck and b) at least the genii know that trouble is on its way soon... after all, its easier to lie than to tell the truth in some of these cases imo...to get back to the original point, Teyla can't really be everything can she (i.e. leader/fighter/....) so in that sense she's a incompetent diplomat...give the gal a chance I say

Sorry about the poor attempt at trying to get my p.o.v. across...I'm well known for it..
                      Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
                      O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Comment

Originally posted by hail_jack
                        Sorry about the poor attempt at trying to get my p.o.v. across...I'm well known for it..
                        Yes, you may want to consider improving your sentance structure. Actually just having a structure would help I don't mean to slam you or anything, it's just that I read through that rant and wasn't certain what you were trying to get across.

Comment

Aye aye Captain
                          so to sum up:

1) McKay shouldn't of helped them build a A-bomb imo...even though its (supposed) to be against the wraith....he's kinda like my bro...doesn't know when to shut up.. as O'Neill said once "a weapon of mass destruction has only got one purpose...mass destruction"

2) Teyla did the rîght thing under the cirumstances...she told the truth...

3) errr...I don't have a third point...

Sorry about the rant...its just my style man
                          Last edited by hail_jack; 30 August 2004, 09:29 AM.
                          Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
                          O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Comment

Originally posted by waz
                            He did hesitate,didn't want to leave him behind but then was told to go by Cohen.
                            I suppose looking aimless for 5 seconds while they get hit by a Wraith weapon is hesitating (call it the Bush approach to leadersip), but still it seems like someone who risked courtmartial to save somebody would be ready to ignore the request of someone on his team (Sheppard was in command of the mission) but thats just me.

Originally posted by Ancient 1
                            Maybe, but isn't it equally possible that the writers wanted to be able to vary the enemy from episode to episode? In SG1 there was always the rogue-NID / The Trust to use as an alternate enemy for some variety, but in Atlantis they don't have that easily exploited enemy available (although now that I think about it maybe that'd be a good episode or story arc for SGA, the Trust has a spy(s) that came with the expeditionary team) they have to make a new one. As a result, Teyla in particular and the other two to a lesser extent were compromised to make an enemy.

Comment

SPOILERS FOR UNDERGROUND

It may be just me but it seemed like three of the four members of the Atlantis team need some serious work in the area of diplomacy.

The worst was definetly Teyla when she told the Genii (just after they managed to avoid getting executed by them) that the wraith were awake because of the SGA team. It's one thing to be telling a close ally the true reason the wraith are awake but these people just about SHOT her and the reason the wraith are awake is immaterial to the purpose of their alliance (destroying them). Given that Teyla is the leader of a people it seems to me she should know better than to let the ideal of honesty get in the way of diplomacy. This highminded behaviour on her part seemed especially baffling given that later in the episode she doesn't even hesitate before leaving the her Genii companion (who we know was not dead since wraith weapons only stun for later feeding) to the wraith when he is shot (ironically her selfish behaviour has the same effect as her altruistic behaviour: turning the Genii against them).

In the case of Shepperd his inability to negotiate or avoid agreeing to a deal before talking to Weir is of concern in a foreign galaxy but hardly inconsistent with a military officer who has an independent streak. McKay's stupidity when it comes to revealing valuable information is also consistent with his character but nonetheless dangerous.

Seems to me that Teyla and Shepperd have had their character compromised and confused to allow for a new enemy to be introduced into the series.
                              something familiar about that (user)name..hmmm

I should have known sooner or later another would show...Welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X