This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperdrive Technology Thread

Alright, I would like to accumulate all of the knowledge that we have about Hyperdrive technology.

This is my BASIC understanding of it:
    Hyperspace is a section of space outside of our space time that we go through, because at those speeds, we would collide with objects inside of our space time. It is affected by real time, but less from real space. Only strong gravitational pull and a few other things are translated into Hyperspace.

Unlike warp technology, most of the speed is generated by Hyperspace itself, kind of like a ZPM, which draws the power it needs from subspace, to prevent physical barriers in real space from being destroyed.

The Hyperdrive makes a tear or a window into Hyperspace, and allows us to travel in Hyperspace. The bigger the ship, the larger a Hyperdrive is needed. I have no idea how this technology works, but I know a little about what it does.

Does anyone else know much about it?
    Jack (Addressing Teal'c): You're so.....shallow!
    Daniel: Oh please, Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know, I mean, he's so deep! Come on, tell them how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
    Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this converstation.
    Daniel: OH! You see!?
    Jack: No more beer for you.

Bring back SG-1 on SciFi, or the terrorists win.

Being in our space-time, limits us to how fast we can fly (c). Opening a window to another layer of sub-space (hyperspace) allows us to bypass these physical limits as the the speed of light barrier in that layer of subspace could be much higher allowing us to travel at speeds that would be many times the speed of light in our space-time.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Comment

And the power for hyperdrive is provided by the ship, not hyperspace itself. That's why, for instance, having the ZPM cut the travel time for the Daedalus to get to PG from 18 days down to 4.

Although since you bring it up, I wonder if it WOULD be possible to draw power from hyperspace. I mean, we know there is some type of radiation (which is why the Wraith had to keep stopping to let their ships recover); I just wonder if it's possible to capture some of that radiation to power the ship, or at least to boost it's power source.

Comment

ZPMs already do that. HYPERSPACE IS SUBSPACE!!!!!
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

This is something I wrote on another about hyperdrive travel.

"I think when they are in hyperspace, they are still moving at sub-light speed, but essentially travelling through a wormhole. So, I believe that if fighters were to launch in hyperspace, they would fall behind because they have thrusters and not sublight engines. The only way for a fighter to fight in hyperspace is to stay with in the larger ships hyperspace bubble.

From everything I have read, this is the conclusion that I have come too."

And another thing I wrote comparing Hyperspace travel to Warp Speed.

"In the Stargate universe, if they travel at light speeds they would not be able to go anywhere around the MW. It would take them decades to travel to a planet like Abydos at light speed. The closest thing in Star Trek to hyperspace travel, from my understanding, is transwarp drive or slipstream drive. Remember everything that happens in Star Trek happens all with in the MW. In Stargate, 75,000 light years is a few days or weeks of travel in hyperspace, but in Star Trek it is about 75 years at warp 9.9.
          Hyperspace is just a faster way of traveling in the Stargate universe, and gives a better explanation of how the Goa'uld and Asgard travel from planet to planet."

I hope this helps alittle bit.

: Green is Good.
          sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Here is the basic gist of hyperspace:

Say you want to get from point A to point B, like going from Earth to Dakara. Kinda like if you were an ant trying to get across a piece of paper.

If you need to travel in real space which would take hundreds of thousands of years to get to point B. That is totally out of the picture for us, so they came up with the subspace theory.
            To get from point A to Point B we rip a hole in our space time and drop into subspace and move in that then rip another hole and drop back in our dimension. We move in subspace much like we would move in real space except we can travel at many times the speed of light. That is like switching from the electromagnetic light spectrum to the microwave spectrum and back again.
            And for that ant he would just have to bend the piece of paper and then step from one edge of the paper to the other edge.

However this is based on what we know right now out side of Stargate.

Boberth2o
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
              Here is the basic gist of hyperspace:

Say you want to get from point A to point B, like going from Earth to Dakara. Kinda like if you were an ant trying to get across a piece of paper.

If you need to travel in real space which would take hundreds of thousands of years to get to point B. That is totally out of the picture for us, so they came up with the subspace theory.
              To get from point A to Point B we rip a hole in our space time and drop into subspace and move in that then rip another hole and drop back in our dimension. We move in subspace much like we would move in real space except we can travel at many times the speed of light. That is like switching from the electromagnetic light spectrum to the microwave spectrum and back again.
              And for that ant he would just have to bend the piece of paper and then step from one edge of the paper to the other edge.

However this is based on what we know right now out side of Stargate.

Boberth2o

Very similar to how the gate works, except a hyperspace window can be opened from anywhere, and the wormhole on the gate can only be opened from gate to gate.

: Green is Good.
              sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
                Very similar to how the gate works, except a hyperspace window can be opened from anywhere, and the wormhole on the gate can only be opened from gate to gate.
                Wormhloes are very different than hyperspace, yes it does take place in subspace but it works on different principles. Like when you want to download a file of the internet it comes in a zip file. Before that, the creator had to take all the information and compress (the stargate). And on the other side you would extract the files.
                Wormholes compress the data (us) and then send it to the other stargate, where the data is reintegrated back to the original form.
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

because of the folding two points can still be relatively far apart. in most cases when you fold space your distance within hyperspace is small (relatively). for two close bodies you may only be able to bend space to a certain point so your trip would still be slower than c, but on most occasions it would be much higher than c.
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

subspace is not the same thing as folding space, and hyperspace is not either. Remember, its science fiction, so there is always differing views.

The idea of folding space comes from the knowledge that gravity essentially creates 'indentations' in the fabric of space, which cause space to 'fold' in on itself. The theory is that through a black hole, at which space literally ceases to exist/completely folds, it would be possible to travel from one point to another.

Hyperspace is essentially an evolution of an old sci-fi idea, space-plus, space minus, etc. The idea is that either A, physics is different in space plus or minus, so we can travel faster, or space is different in space plus or minus, so we dont have to travel as far (or space is so different that we dont have to travel at all). Subspace is a natural evolution of this idea, in which in subspace, all things are condensed, relative to each other, so that they are in fact closer, then, while traveling at the same speed, the travel time is greatly reduced. Hyperspace is the evolution of space plus, in which the traveler slips outside our dimension, achieving super-luminous speeds, circumventing both the time paradox problem, and, well, the impossibility problem.

Comment

Exactly hyperspace and subspace are most likely NOT the same thing. Otherwise they would more than likely have the same name. Wormholes and "radio" transmissions seem to utilize subspace. The fact that we've never seen matter sent directly through subspace suggests that it may not be possible and that is why they use hyperspace instead.

Actually, now that I think about it, that is not too different from the space plus and space minus ideas used by Alan Dean Foster is Humanx Commonwealth setting.

In any case, a ZPM gets its power from a self-contained region of subspace. Basically a universe in a bottle if you will. Not at all the same as trying to capture the radiation in hyperspace for energy.

Edit: I believe that subspace in the SG universe may deal with the extra hidden dimensions within our universe that enables the gate to effectively create a shortcut (like in the paper-folding example given a few posts up). Hyperspace, on the other hand, deals with the higher-dimensional space within which our 3.5 dimension universe is believed to exist in M-theory.

To clarify, M-theory basically holds that out that everything is made of tiny "strings" who, depending on the way they vibrating, make various subatomic particles, both of matter and of the various fundamental force-carrying particles (photons, gluons, etc). These particles exist in a sort of 10 dimensional hyperspace. It is possible for these strings to be expanded outwards in a sort of sheet or membrane (brane for short) within this space. Our universe is one such sheet. There are likely other universes located on other branes. These other universes may have different dimensions than ours and different physical laws, but that is irrelevant for this discussion.

I believe that when a ship enters hyperspace, it effectively slips outside of our universe and into this higher dimensional space. At that point different physical rules apply and the ship is able to get where they are going more quickly than they otherwise could in our limited space-time.
                      Last edited by Avatar28; 05 November 2006, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                        Wormhloes are very different than hyperspace, yes it does take place in subspace but it works on different principles. Like when you want to download a file of the internet it comes in a zip file. Before that, the creator had to take all the information and compress (the stargate). And on the other side you would extract the files.
                        Wormholes compress the data (us) and then send it to the other stargate, where the data is reintegrated back to the original form.
                        No, wormholes do not compress data, the Stargate does. A wormhole is simply a tunnel burrowed through hyperspace/subspace. Matter can go in both directions in a (Lorentzian) wormhole. The limitations in SG is caused by the stargate itself. If you were to step through the stargate and "walk" through the wormhole to the destination, it would take you centuries because the distance is still too great; that means you will not live to see the other end. Because of this, the stargate demolecularizes you and sends you through as energy so you can travel at the speed of light (in hyperspace) so that you'll reach the other end in seconds.

The reason you can only travel one way is because the stargates operate in half duplex. That means only one side can talk and the other side listen. If you are talking on a 2-way radio and keep the TALK button held down, there is no way that the far-end voice will transmit back to your radio.
                        The signature has been destroyed!

Comment

Originally posted by JoseP927 View Post
                          No, wormholes do not compress data, the Stargate does. A wormhole is simply a tunnel burrowed through hyperspace/subspace. Matter can go in both directions in a (Lorentzian) wormhole. The limitations in SG is caused by the stargate itself. If you were to step through the stargate and "walk" through the wormhole to the destination, it would take you centuries because the distance is still too great; that means you will not live to see the other end. Because of this, the stargate demolecularizes you and sends you through as energy so you can travel at the speed of light (in hyperspace) so that you'll reach the other end in seconds.

The reason you can only travel one way is because the stargates operate in half duplex. That means only one side can talk and the other side listen. If you are talking on a 2-way radio and keep the TALK button held down, there is no way that the far-end voice will transmit back to your radio.

first, what I ment in the word "Wormholes" in the sentence is stargate notice that stargate at that end of the sentence, sorry.

Originally posted by thefather View Post
                          subspace is not the same thing as folding space, and hyperspace is not either. Remember, its science fiction, so there is always differing views.

The idea of folding space comes from the knowledge that gravity essentially creates 'indentations' in the fabric of space, which cause space to 'fold' in on itself. The theory is that through a black hole, at which space literally ceases to exist/completely folds, it would be possible to travel from one point to another.

Hyperspace is essentially an evolution of an old sci-fi idea, space-plus, space minus, etc. The idea is that either A, physics is different in space plus or minus, so we can travel faster, or space is different in space plus or minus, so we dont have to travel as far (or space is so different that we dont have to travel at all). Subspace is a natural evolution of this idea, in which in subspace, all things are condensed, relative to each other, so that they are in fact closer, then, while traveling at the same speed, the travel time is greatly reduced. Hyperspace is the evolution of space plus, in which the traveler slips outside our dimension, achieving super-luminous speeds, circumventing both the time paradox problem, and, well, the impossibility problem.
                          You have to 'jump' in to subspace (subspace is another layer of space time) whatever to be able to fold the space time that you just came out of, because if you didnt you would still have to travel around the fold

Here is the two layers of space time:

And here when you fold it you still have to go arround the fold you created, unless you bypass the fold by jumping into subspace travel in that, which would be a much shorter distance, and then jump back out into our dimension.

sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Actually, it's more like this:

A piece of paper represents space.
                            You can fold that space over upon itself so that the two points (origin and destination) overlap, but that in itself doesn't do squat.
                            You have to get a hole puncher or rip through space to get to the other side.
                            I'll make a video explaining it later XD

The other theory is that there is a second dimension in which space is super-compressed and that if you enter it, you will be normal size so everything else will be tiny, except your mass. So when you go the equivalent of a mile, it's actually a few light years.
                            Oh snap. You're reading a really old post.

Comment

I have theory about the universe, that the universe is round, its rond to an extent that it is unnoticable. Up until the 1400s the entire world thought that the world was flat. But now we know that its round. we used to think that the solar system revolved arrounf us, now we know that it revolves arround that sun. Now I cant prove it but if you think about it for a while it seems to make sense.

When we look out at space every thing is arround us, in a complete sphere. Which help support my theory. in this theory I think that there are different layers, like a planet, and in the universe these layers help us be able to travel from point to point and from time to time.

Now Im not asking you to poke holes in my theory but I would like to see what you guys think.
                              Last edited by boberth2o; 01 January 2007, 11:44 AM.
                              sigpic
                              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Working...
                              X