This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ties That Bind - cut scene

I must say I'm disgusted very much and I really hate Mallozzi and Mullie for doing this to Claudia Black.

From "Stargate SG-1 The Illustrated Companion Season 9":

"... for Claudia Black, who was getting used to playing a fuller version of Vala than she had previously had a chance to explore, some aspects of the episode didn't quite chime with her own thoughts about the character. "There was a scene that was cut in "Ties That Bind", with Wallace Shawn (Arlos). Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie had written that Vala had slept with his character, had had an affair. I went to Rob (Cooper) and I said: 'Is this really who you see Vala as? You really see her as a girl who is talking about it all the time, but is also actually doing it? That she doesn't discriminate?' And he said, 'No, I don't see her like that at all - I think that's just something that the boys threw in.' I just didn't see her being that way. I believe that she does have a moral vein in her body, and those that talk about it all the time are probably not getting any!" Black laughs. "So there was a scene [added] where we're in the bar, where Daniel and Cameron come back and say, 'We can't believe you did that to him!' and she says, 'Oh, come on, I got him drunk and let him think what he needed to think.' That, to me, was an important scene to show how Vala operates. I don't think she would deliberately manipulate people physically. But it got cut, and so there's a scene where he says they were lovers and there's no scene on screen where she rebuts it. But that happens. The gods of timing will always interfere!"
    T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

If you hate M & M for their treatment of CB, good thing you've never seen them shoot scenes.......or delete them too. Hmmm, I guess delete isn't the proper term, cut is the proper term. Sorry.
    On fighting:
    Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
    Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida View Post
      If you hate M & M for their treatment of CB, good thing you've never seen them shoot scenes.......or delete them too. Hmmm, I guess delete isn't the proper term, cut is the proper term. Sorry.
      Hi Lida, great to see you around You promised us to stop by Claudia/Vala thread and tell us a little bit about your time in Vancouver and meeting Claudia

Comment

Originally posted by Farscapefan View Post
        I must say I'm disgusted very much and I really hate Mallozzi and Mullie for doing this to Claudia Black.

From "Stargate SG-1 The Illustrated Companion Season 9":

"... for Claudia Black, who was getting used to playing a fuller version of Vala than she had previously had a chance to explore, some aspects of the episode didn't quite chime with her own thoughts about the character. "There was a scene that was cut in "Ties That Bind", with Wallace Shawn (Arlos). Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie had written that Vala had slept with his character, had had an affair. I went to Rob (Cooper) and I said: 'Is this really who you see Vala as? You really see her as a girl who is talking about it all the time, but is also actually doing it? That she doesn't discriminate?' And he said, 'No, I don't see her like that at all - I think that's just something that the boys threw in.' I just didn't see her being that way. I believe that she does have a moral vein in her body, and those that talk about it all the time are probably not getting any!" Black laughs. "So there was a scene [added] where we're in the bar, where Daniel and Cameron come back and say, 'We can't believe you did that to him!' and she says, 'Oh, come on, I got him drunk and let him think what he needed to think.' That, to me, was an important scene to show how Vala operates. I don't think she would deliberately manipulate people physically. But it got cut, and so there's a scene where he says they were lovers and there's no scene on screen where she rebuts it. But that happens. The gods of timing will always interfere!"
        Actually I like seeing her moral side more than her deceiving side.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I think S10 shows how much Vala has evolved from Prometheus Unbound.

Comment

I'm glad that scene never made it to the final cut- I think that would have been carrying the subject a little too far, I prefer that it was left open-ended. The audience is still going to question whether Vala actually slept with Arlos, and I definitly don't think that adding that scene would have done anything positive for the character.

Comment

And he said, 'No, I don't see her like that at all - I think that's just something that the boys threw in.' I just didn't see her being that way. I believe that she does have a moral vein in her body, and those that talk about it all the time are probably not getting any!" Black laughs. "So there was a scene [added] where we're in the bar, where Daniel and Cameron come back and say, 'We can't believe you did that to him!' and she says, 'Oh, come on, I got him drunk and let him think what he needed to think.' That, to me, was an important scene to show how Vala operates. I don't think she would deliberately manipulate people physically. But it got cut, and so there's a scene where he says they were lovers and there's no scene on screen where she rebuts it. But that happens. The gods of timing will always interfere!"
              Well, there you have it. Something the "boys" threw in (that explains a lot about Vala AND Carter, lately).

and this must also be the infamous BB/MS/CB scene that we saw so much. I'm sorry they cut that one, not only for the bit of insight but also because I really wanted to see those three onscreen like that.

Vala gets a lot of flak about the sex talk and innuendo but, seriously. I never get the sense she's had any sex recently, other than Tomin and she seduced (sort of) and married the guy. True, manipulative but he certainly seems to be getting something out of the arrangement as well.

How fabulous would the character be in the hands of people who actually wanted to create a 3-d person, vs someone who looks fantastic in leather (she does) and can make or take the joke.

Truth be told, it didn't matter to me whether she'd slept with him or not. I just figured maybe she liked him

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                I'm glad that scene never made it to the final cut- I think that would have been carrying the subject a little too far, I prefer that it was left open-ended. The audience is still going to question whether Vala actually slept with Arlos, and I definitly don't think that adding that scene would have done anything positive for the character.
                Well... I don't agree. If you can see, Claudia made it very clear that Vala is NOT THIS KIND OF PERSON. And her opinion and view of Vala's character values for me the most. The writers screwed up in this case.

Comment

Well... I don't agree. If you can see, Claudia made it very clear that Vala is NOT THIS KIND OF PERSON. And her opinion and view of Vala's character values for me the most. The writers screwed up in this case.
                  The writers didn't cut the scene. That could be the director. Or after that a producer. Or even the showrunner. (Which would be strange because he was the one that sffef the scene.)

Then again if the writer is the producer for that ep maybe he did cut it.

suse
                  why do I bother, I'm on ignore
                  sigpic
                  Mourning Sanctuary.
                  Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                    The writers didn't cut the scene. That could be the director. Or after that a producer. Or even the showrunner. (Which would be strange because he was the one that sffef the scene.)

Then again if the writer is the producer for that ep maybe he did cut it.

suse
                    why do I bother, I'm on ignore
                    I'll bother for you.

FF--see above

BTW, I like my characters with a touch of evil. If Vala wants to sleep her way through the universe, heh, who am I to argue? And she does look fabulous enough to do it anyway.

I love Claudia and she's certainly welcome to her opinions, but this reminds me a lot of Gigi Edgley's Chiana concerns, especially when Chiana cheats on her beau with his son. Gigi just didn't want to do that at all but it was a writer/story decision.

In the case of Vala, it's a production decision. Time is running short and something has to go. I'm sure Claudia didn't want to play slutty space chick--after playing a character like Aeryn, I think anything would be a disappointment--but it's the writers' job to do the actual writing, or the director's to do the actual cutting. I know Ben Browder wasn't crazy about his Farscape character's actions in season 4 but, again, he wasn't the writer, dirrector or producer.

Comment

I always thought that she never really slept with the guy, but allow him to think that they did. But, now I'm unsure if I somehow read about the cut scene before watching it or if I always thought it. I always thought Vala was more talk then action.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasusc View Post
                        I always thought that she never really slept with the guy, but allow him to think that they did. But, now I'm unsure if I somehow read about the cut scene before watching it or if I always thought it. I always thought Vala was more talk then action.
                        I thought that too
                        sigpic

Comment

Mallozzi, Martin Gero and the director of the episode were talking about it in the DVD commentary for this episode (the transcript of it is also available in Season 9 thread).

Comment

Mallozzi, Martin Gero and the director of the episode were talking about it in the DVD commentary for this episode (the transcript of it is also available in Season 9 thread).
                            I know I didn't read it in the S9 thread. Don't really go there. Maybe I did hear about it in the commentary. I listen to them as soon as I get the boxset.

Comment

I thought so too, so I don't think that explanation scene was needed. She has shown that she does have a moral line that she tries not to cross; I think actually sleeping with him would have been too far for her.

Comment

Working...
                              X