This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cast in Atlantis - who are they?

I've been very excited about StargÅte: Åtlantis, as a scifi show I think it goes even more techno and scifi than SG-1 could, yet the concept and quality is guaranteed under the StargÅte header. So far it's been both exciting and pleasing to watch, they've managed to make something new and interesting out of the old and so loved - I think we have a keeper!
    Anyway, to my question ..or ponderings, whatever you want to call it..

How do you see and feel the new cast? Do you think that they have depth, credibility and, most of all, room to develop from where they are now?

To me, Shepherd, although not an exact copy, somehow reminds me of the good ol' Jack O'Neill and I'm sort of waiting to see where the character goes from there.

Beckett is something new, a little edgy and unusual, he seems to be a little out of place and that makes him a very interesting character to be watching - and to be listening to, thanks the adorrable Scottish accent!

I find that Weir and Teyla are both looking for their places as are everyone else, but since they are the leaders of their people, it shows even more. It's also very cool to have 2 strong leading female characters, scifi has always been male dominated and I really can't see why!

Anyway, here are my initial thoughts on the show's cast.. and I'd love to hear yours!
    Channara

-"How come I never get to kiss anybody?"
    -"Well, it's a... there's being episode written for you ...soon. Very soon."
    -"Sure."

Sheppard and Ford are a hilarious duo.

McKay is McKay, and he too is a hilarious genious.

Teyla....eh, more of a girl Teal'c not really a fan of her.

Weir.....she is HOT! And very good as a political leader.

Grodin..yea, he is cool too, but needs some more input in the situations.

Beckett is a really good doctor, seeing as how he
    Spoiler:
    solved the wraither drug problem (Poisoing The Well, 106)

Other than that, I guess there are no other regular members left.

I like all the humour in this show, its great.

Sheppard: "I thought we agreed that you weren't allowed to naem anything?"

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Sorry to nitpick, but this has been bugging me every time I've seen it done: It's not called "StargÅte" or "Åtlantis". The 'Å' is not just an 'A' with a circle on top of it, it is a different letter entirely and thus cannot be used in this way. (And no, that is not what they do on the show titles - the Earth point of origin, which is what replaces the 'A' in the logo, does not have the "bridge" in the middle like the letter 'A' does.)
      Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

I also like the fact that TPTB have decided to continue with the good sense and amount of humour on the show, it's wouldn't be the same without it.

As you mentioned McKay, I started thinking how he feels, along with Dr. Weir, to be the most fleshed out character. This is of course due to them being seen most, even before the Åtlantis premiere Rising - but yes, I do feel that they are the most tangible two of the lot. I also feel that Lt. Ford, Beckett and Teyla are the most natural feeling characters, they seem to be.. real, while the others feel a little, not quite there. Just not ready.

Are you guys getting any of this?
        Channara

-"Sure."

Comment

Originally posted by Ugly Pig
          Sorry to nitpick, but this has been bugging me every time I've seen it done: It's not called "StargÅte" or "Åtlantis". The 'Å' is not just an 'A' with a circle on top of it, it is a different letter entirely and thus cannot be used in this way. (And no, that is not what they do on the show titles - the Earth point of origin, which is what replaces the 'A' in the logo, does not have the "bridge" in the middle like the letter 'A' does.)
          I know. The Å is a part of the Finnish and Swedish, and apparently also Danish, Icelandic and Norwegian alphabet. Still, it is the closest thing in the normal keyboard to a gate symbol depicting Tau'ri as a point of origin and I like to fool around with it. It's just a thing I do - I hope you can live with it?
          Channara

-"Sure."

Comment

I can live with it. I just really hate it, sorry... Mainly because (as you know) when you type "stargate" with an 'Å' you're not really typing the word "stargate" at all, it becomes a different word with a different pronounciation and everything. And since the letter 'Å' is used in my native language, that's how I naturally read it and it bugs me.

Comment

And since the letter 'Å' is used in my native language, that's how I naturally read it and it bugs me.
              Figured it was something like that, Piggy. I just always saw it as an unnessecary attempt to be 'kewl' in most instences that I've seen it used in Stargate.

Comment

And since the letter 'Å' is used in my native language, that's how I naturally read it and it bugs me.
                Originally posted by Major Fischer
                Figured it was something like that, Piggy. I just always saw it as an unnessecary attempt to be 'kewl' in most instences that I've seen it used in Stargate.
                I know I sometimes manage to be uncool by trying to be 'kewl' and I guess this is an instance where that applies, but I'm a geek and can't help it, it's in my blood. I'd say though, that I'll grow out of it.. but just not anytime soon.

Also, for Ugly Pig: We (me and my sad friends ) also pronounce the letter Å as O and that results stargÅte being pronounced as stargoat and it's just how we lovingly and affectionately refer to our favourite tv show.

A beloved child has many names.
                Channara

-"Sure."

Comment

Originally posted by Channara
                  I know I sometimes manage to be uncool by trying to be 'kewl' and I guess this is an instance where that applies, but I'm a geek and can't help it, it's in my blood. I'd say though, that I'll grow out of it.. but just not anytime soon.
                  Not just you, it's just a general feeling I get when I see that spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
                    Not just you, it's just a general feeling I get when I see that spelling.
                    Thanks for the support, but I'm really ok with it. I'm a geek, I'm engaged to a geek and someday we'll have little babies who are destined to be geeks as the only thing they find in the DVD collections at home will be Stargate, Star Trek and Babylon 5.

But not to go too off topic, who's your favourite character in Atlantis, and why?
                    Channara

-"Sure."

Comment

I like the cast for the most part so far. Sheppard is a lot like O'Neill but in a GOOD way. He keeps things grounded. Weir, I'm still warming up to her. "Suspicion" threw me back a bit, and I missed this last episode. I'll feel different this coming week I bet. Telya needs to be developed more. I'm liking McKay more here than his rounds on Sg-1. Ford's fun, Beckett lightens things.

Comment

Minä rakastan Ugly Pig

Minä vihata S/J-ship

Comment

Apoligies for the one-word post: What?

Comment

Originally posted by FieryHands
                            Weir, I'm still warming up to her. "Suspicion" threw me back a bit, and I missed this last episode. I'll feel different this coming week I bet.
                            I think they got a better handle on Weir in Underground. She's sarcastic in ways that I can easily imagin being, and frustrated. Basically they gave her a sense of humor. I think she's starting to learn that she needs to be more a hands on person, and less tied to the base.

Comment

Originally posted by Channara
                              But not to go too off topic, who's your favourite character in Atlantis, and why?
                              On paper, I like Weir the most. More so in New Order than some of the early episodes of Atlantis. But I've spent a long time studying international relations and she was bound to appeal to me. I don't think they wrote her well in 38 Minutes, and while I understand why she does the thing she does in Suspicion it's not something that is likely to make people like her.

I think I've been in love with that character (as played by Torri Higginson) from the minute in New Order when
                              Spoiler:
                              she told the Goa'uld that Earth wanted Baal's territory as a price for defeating him.

The look on everyone's face was priceless, as was Daniel's reaction to her in private.

Comment

Working...
                              X