Clear All

TV Guide Online - Ask Matt Column - 8/30

From TV Guide Online:

http://www.tvguide.com/search/editor...rticleId=92246

Monday, August 30, 2004

Ask Matt
    by Matt Roush

Question:

Do you really feel that the new season of Stargate SG1 is better than ever? I read your review in the Aug. 22-28 issue and must disagree. It seems that the team has rarely left the planet this year, and I have yet to see them encounter any new aliens. I miss Gen. Hammond and always enjoyed the episodes with Samantha's dad. It seems odd to see O'Neill left behind while his team does other things. Also, in watching previous years' episodes, which air at 6 pm/PT, you can see a subtle chemistry and sexual tension, if you will, between Samantha and Col. O'Neill. This year that seems to be nonexistent. Of course their ranks keep them apart, but a little tension never hurt any show. If you have an in, perhaps you could tell the writers that some of us don't like the new direction of the show. It just seems to be lacking something. — Denice B.

Matt:

Consider this your "in." (These columns tend to take on a life of their own, and I'd be surprised if someone in the Stargate world doesn't take notice of your complaints.) But I don't believe I used the words "better than ever," because I'd have no way of making that comparison to past seasons. Those who've been following this column for some time know that Stargate has flown under my radar for years, but with the cancellation of Farscape and the arrival of the Atlantis spin-off, I decided it was time to get my feet wet again. What I saw I liked, especially the rather comic predicament of O'Neill getting a promotion that didn't fit him so well. I'd forgotten how good Richard Dean Anderson was in this role. I didn't presume to compare the show to what has come before, but it never surprises me when anything in its eighth season runs the risk of disappointing fans who liked it better back when. It might have been safer for me to just keep my opinion to myself on this one, but on the other hand, I can't count the number of e-mails over the last few years that have complained, "How come you never write about Stargate?"

|*|(*)|*|(*)|*|

Morjana

SG1-Spoilergate
    http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/SG1-Spoilergate/

Richard Dean Anderson Fans
    http://movies.groups.yahoo.com/group/rdandersonfans/

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I like his repsonse. It seems he knows what he is talking about for this season as a stand alone. But then again the other person Denice B, seems to know what she likes.

We need more coloums like these.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Working...
    X