Clear All

Alien movies Discussion Thread

Which is your favourite Alien movie?

1. Alien
    2. Aliens
    3. Alien 3
    4. Alien Resurrection
    5. Alien vs Predator

I think that Alien 3 is the best, it's different and dramatic but that's why I like it. The Dog-Alien is kick ass!
    I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
    Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Does Alien versus Predator count?

Comment

Originally posted by The Tea Biscuit Queen View Post
      Does Alien versus Predator count?
      lol yep, and IMO it's the worst alien movie ever!
      I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic

Comment

Alien and Aliens are two fantastic movies, not sure I care to see anything that comes after..... and will never, ever see that Alien vs. Predator crap.

Comment

AVP can be mildly entertaining if you just want to see pointless alien and predator fighting...To me, Aliens is the best. Had so many good lines...

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
          Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
          Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

Originally posted by mappalazarou View Post
            lol yep, and IMO it's the worst alien movie ever!

It's fun if you turn your brain off like Freddy verses Jason.
            Its unadulterated fun, I was more enthrwalled by Aliens and Predators kicking each others booty over the place a lot more than the mutation plot in Alien 4.
            Guess I'm just more easy to please

Comment

Originally posted by The Tea Biscuit Queen View Post
              It's fun if you turn your brain off like Freddy verses Jason.
              Its unadulterated fun, I was more enthrwalled by Aliens and Predators kicking each others booty over the place a lot more than the mutation plot in Alien 4.
              Guess I'm just more easy to please
              lol, I love Freddy vs Jason and would've loved it even moreif they went ahead with the sequel Freddy vs Jason vs Ash...lol that could've been well good!

sigpic

Comment

I've heard a few rumours/whispers of AVP2, is there any ground to this?

Sheppard: "Y’know, we’ve been having these conversations for a couple of weeks now, and I don’t even know your name. You guys do have names, right? Let me guess...Steve?"
                Wraith: "I am your death. That is all you need to know."
                Sheppard: "I prefer Steve."

Comment

Loed Alien and Aliens but hated the rest

and AvP was a disgrace to both series...they took 2 R rated series and turned it into a pg13 movie...

and considering the AvP series(books/comics/games are ALOT better) makes the movie even worse...

1 Alien should not be able to take out 2 preds... and the fact there was very little actual Pred vs Alien stuff in the movie...

Comment

Alien was a great movie. Aliens was better.

I hated Alien3. I didn't like how they killed off Newt and Hicks in that one. Then they had to go and
                    Spoiler:
                    get Ripley pregnant with an alien queen, and then kill her off...
                    It just seemed like they were trying to erase everything that happened in the second film and pick up where the first movie ended, and then end the franchise.

Alien: Resurrection was kind of crappy. It had to continue with where Alien3 left off, which was not an easy task.
                    Spoiler:
                    They had to bring Ripley back from the dead, so they could harvest the queen she was pregnant with.
                    Then they had to make it so the queen's DNA mixed with Ripley's in the cloning process, so Ripley was now SupeRipley.
                    Then they had to bring Earth into the equation, because it was a no-brainer.
                    Then they had to mutate the final alien beast into a slimy, albino SkeletAlien who thought SupeRipley was it's mother...
                    It kind of sucked actually.

Alien Vs. Predator was fun, but I don't really consider it canon for either franchise. It was kind of like Freddy vs. Jason, or Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man; it was meant to be fun and that's it.
                    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Frinky View Post
                      I've heard a few rumours/whispers of AVP2, is there any ground to this?
                      1 sec...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_v...of_the_Fittest

there we are.

sigpic

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, the Alien franchise ended with Alien3.

Contrary to most peoples' opinions, I didn't hate Alien3. I think that it mostly suffered from having too high expectations to live up to after the first two films. Of its own merits, I thought it was a very decent film, and certainly a lot better than most of the nonsense that permeates the sci-fi genre. I also thought it was a fairly fitting end to the story that began in Alien.

Resurrection just screamed of "cash grab," and don't even get me started on AvP.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I love the Alien movies. I also probably in the rare camp that actually likes Alien 3. (especially the Assembly Cut) Sure its not what everyone was expecting after the second one, but I think its a great way to end the series. Alien 3 is the darkest and most depressing film in the series, which is why I think most people don't like it. Ripley's story really comes full circle, sacrificing herself to save humanity.

Alien Resurrection, however, I see more as a spin-off movie and not a very good one. I liked Alien Vs Predator. Its not as good as it could have been, but its still entertaining. However I have MAJOR doubts about the sequel based on the outline I've read, its going to be horrible and will be the final nail in the coffin, which is a shame since FOX should wise up and let Ridley Scott, James Cameron, and Sigourney Weaver make their Alien movie.

Comment

Alien
                            This was a fantastic horror movie that was surprisingly low on gore besides the "birth" of the Alien which is a plus for me. I liked the intense suspense, the haunted house feel of the Nostromo, the Alien creature itself, the whole movie was great. I did take issue with the deaths of Dallas and Lambert. When Dallas saw the Alien, he should have let go of the ladder so he could "fall," then grab the latter and get the heck out of there. He'd probably brake a few bones, ankles, wrists, or something like that, but better to be broken than dead. As for Lambert, when Parker told her to get out of the way so he could fire on the Alien, why didn't she just hit the deck so Parker could flame the upper half of the Alien while she crawled a bit and than ran off? Sure, he might'a died, but at least Lambert could get away. Oh, and I loved the fake ending where the ship exploded and Ripley got away in the shuttle... only to find that the Alien hid inside with her. Scary!

Aliens
                            Easilly the best of the series. The only character I disliked was Hudson. Realistically, he wouldn't last past boot camp. I have the Special Edtion on DVD with the extra footage, and it really does make it a better movie. I especially liked how Ripley had teamed up with Hicks and Bishop and treated Newt as if she were her own daughter. That was good stuff.

Alien 3
                            They really didn't need to do another movie. I would have been happy with Alien simply being a duology. The original idea for this movie was to be Aliens on Earth. Instead, we got one Alien on a prison planet. LAME! How did the egg get on the Sulaco? The egg was on a bulkhead, not behind the drop ship's landing gear. Obviously, the Queen didn't put it there. How the heck did that egg get on the ship??? When there was a fire detected on the Sulaco, why not simply wake everyone up or move the tubes to a safe part of the ship? I just don't buy that a little electrical fire would destroy the entire ship. Lame, lame, lame. Why did they kill off Newt, Hicks, and Bishop in the escape pod crash? That was stupid. You might have well ignored Aliens all together and have Ripley's shuttle from the first movie crash land on the prison planet. I didn't like one character in the whole movie accept Ripley and whut was left of Bishop. However, in the end, it felt like the director intended on this being the end of the Alien films. The last of the Aliens are finally whiped out; Ripley, Hicks, Biship, and Newt are dead; only one prison guy survives; and Ripley killed the Alien Queen inside her when she died. That was a real depressing movie.

Alien Resurrection
                            This movie was an attempt to give the series a new start. However, it was a lame movie about space pirates and corrupt soldiers and scientists. The only good people in this movie were Ripley and Call, a clone and an android. Why are the non-Human characters the only nice people? Go figure... This movie wasn't scare at all, it was disgusting! EW!!

At this point, I think the series is done, but if they want to do more movies... they could get two more out of the series. Do an Aliens on Earth story, then a final feature where Ripley leads Humanity's fight to the Alien home world before the Aliens can sweep across the galaxy like a plague.

Alien vs. Predator
                            This movie had a poor script, but the story, directing, and acting was pretty good. The black ice woman, the Italian archealogist, and Charles "Bishop" Weyland were interesting, but everyone else was alien cannon fodder. I liked seeing the Aliens and Predators duke it out, but the movie needed to be longer so the Human characters could have more screen time. The ending was phenomenal and equal to the ending of Aliens. While the dialogue was lame and the explanation for the pyramid was utter nonsense, the rest of the movie was pretty good, really scary, and low on gore which I prefer.

GOOD:
                            Alien
                            Aliens
                            Alien vs. Predator

BAD:
                            Alien 3
                            Alien Resurrection

Comment

The great thing about Alien and Aliens is that they are so enduring- the effects and everything hold up so well that they don't come off as cheesy today, I think it's really a mix of limited visuals, great acting, and very well-crafted scripts that allow for this. I'll probably be watching those movies again twenty years from now, and I think they'll still hold up.

As for Alien vs. Predator *cringes* nothing in the world could get me to watch that- that gets a sequel and Serenity doesn't? It's criminal!

Actually, I make it a rule not to see any movie with "vs." in the title. So far that's held up.

Might watch Alien 3 and Resurrection sometime though.....and I'm curious as to what a Joss-Whedon-script-gone-bad looks like.

Comment

Working...
                              X