PDA

View Full Version : Ancient warships

Nightgod
October 25th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Here is one thing that has been bugging me Ancient warships, as big as they are all they do is fire drones. What is that all about at least with Daedalus it has Nukes and rail guns; The Wraith has energy weapons. Ancients are suppose to be more advances then the wraith, how come they don’t have energy weapons.

Mister Oragahn
October 25th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Well, let's assume that our heroes didn't find everything. See how they were surprised when Helia had a console rise in front of the stargate, just after she stepped on Atlantis. They never knew about this.
You're absolutely true that a warship equipped with the lantean beam, the squids and eventually the pulse cannon seen in Trinity would be a deadly trio, plus eventually a few more surprise.

Imagine that they had those ancienty lightning bolt cannons, the ones used by Anubis in Full Circle.

wise one
October 25th, 2006, 03:29 AM
they have hologram technology and possible rings on board but most likely drones since they are the ultimate weapon in combat for the ancients

Pyrus
October 25th, 2006, 04:02 AM
It would make sense for them to have regular energy based weapons, because as we know drones can run out.

Dutch_Razor
October 25th, 2006, 05:25 AM
But drones can penetrate shields without any trouble..

Why use energy weapons that need I don't know how many shots when you can just kill a ship with one drone to the hyperdrive :) (/bridge)

Jimbo-DR
October 25th, 2006, 05:42 AM
They more than likely DO have energy weapons that we just haven't seen yet. We haven't really had all that long to study an Ancient Warship and unlock all its secrets, and most likely we never will. Also both ships we encountered were severely damaged. Maybe the Tria will provide the answers to these questions.

I would say that Ancient Warships probably DO have extremely powerful energy weapons that would wipe out anything else we've seen yet in Stargate, but that drones are the only thing we've ever known about so they are what we look for when we encounter Ancient technology.

V-MAN
October 25th, 2006, 05:49 AM
I agree, the Lantian warships most likely do have some energy based weapons and in the season 3 finalie when the asurans regular built ancient warships appear we might get to see their energy beams pwn the apollo.

kirmit
October 25th, 2006, 06:34 AM
in 'progeny' When they were firing on the Asuran city they weren't using drones, were they?

So the must have other types of weapons.

Kingomon
October 25th, 2006, 06:53 AM
in 'progeny' When they were firing on the Asuran city they weren't using drones, were they?

What did the Asurans ride an Ancient city or a warship?

As for the warship, I'm sure it holds lots of secrets
I hope the Asuran didn't take out the warship, when they attacked atlantis

jds1982
October 25th, 2006, 07:03 AM

Pretty sure they were.

Cap116
October 25th, 2006, 07:24 AM
The cool thing about drones is that they respond to the thoughts of who is in the chair or piloting a Puddlejumper. I am not sure on an Ancient Warship how it works, but I am sure it would be similar to the chair.
I am sure they have other weapons on there, what happens if they ran out of drones in battle. I imagine they would have something to back them up.

knowles2
October 25th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Just about to say the same thing did not people notice that the ships they use in the attack was a of completely different , watch it on monday night yeah they were firing some sought of energy weapon at

At asurans city. did peetly defferent design to the Aurora and orion and I wonder if we will ever get hold of one of those, they look so much cooler.

Ravroz
October 25th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I still think that the Ancient warships are a bit uglier that I first imagined that they would be. However, I guess being Ancients they didn't have that much use for making things astheticly pleasing.

kirmit
October 25th, 2006, 08:31 AM
I still think that the Ancient warships are a bit uglier that I first imagined that they would be. However, I guess being Ancients they didn't have that much use for making things astheticly pleasing.

My guess is that they had much nicer looking ships that go with the Atlantis city ship theme but they were probably destroyed by the wraith. Whilst they were at war with the wraith I doubt they were going to fuss about it's appearance and specifically built it for war meanng it would have to be as effective and off the line as quickly as possible.

nerus
October 25th, 2006, 10:31 AM
They might have some sort of weapon like the satillite weapon.

An-Alteran
October 25th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Here is one thing that has been bugging me Ancient warships, as big as they are all they do is fire drones. What is that all about at least with Daedalus it has Nukes and rail guns; The Wraith has energy weapons. Ancients are suppose to be more advances then the wraith, how come they don’t have energy weapons.
Drones are really effective.
Besides: The ship is that big to Hold... A lot.. of Drones.:P

Wraith_Hunter
October 25th, 2006, 04:46 PM
I'd say they actually have three types of weapons on their ships.

1 is Drones. Presumably the most effective but the most expensive to use as they only have a limited amount on board at any one time. So are used only when ultimately necessary.

2 is energy turrets like Trinity. Watch 'Allies' it gives youa very good closeup shot of the outside hull when it's going towards the bridge. There appears to be dozens of cannons running along the length of the hull. I'd say they are used for taking out the 100/1000's of Darts that swarm around & attack them when they were engaging Hives. Also we see Cruisers come above when trying to board, as well as Hives coming up alongside etc. This way, they can cover all points.

3 is energy blats coming from the huge lances at the front of it. If you look right at the front, you see 2 massive lances (spikes) protruding out from the hull. I imagine them to be like the beam that was seen in 'The Siege I' from the sat weapons platform.

So we simply haven't seen enough yet of Aurora class ships to get their full capabilities. They only had a brief spell with Orion before it got the crap blown out of it. As well as the fact that the shields were damaged along with other key systems.

The one from 'The Return' will probably be...

Destroyed by the Asurans after they attack Atlantis, or the Lanteans will leave the city & continue on their journey in the Trea/Tria taking the ship with them.

So it may be possible that we may never full see the full capabilities of one of these types of Ancient Warships.

the flying circus
October 25th, 2006, 09:04 PM
It would be stupid for the ancients to put nothing but drones on thier war ships
i'm pretty sure they have something else

and when i first saw them i thaught the ancient war ships looked awsome

:mckayanime18:

An-Alteran
October 25th, 2006, 11:05 PM
It would be stupid for the ancients to put nothing but drones on thier war ships

Um... these are the Ancients we are talking about.
The ones that inadevtently caused a race of sycopathic creatures that need to eat sentient beign to live develope from bugs feading on Humans.

These are the Ancients who then let these creatures grow in numbers for thousands if not millions of years.

These are the Ancients who passively allowed these creatures to develope advanced technology, the infastructure to build massive fleets of ships dedicated to fighting and taking prey.

These are the Ancients who let the Wraith grown into the millions and build a massive fleet to destroy the Ancients.

These are the Ancients who tried to make peace with the creatures and let themselves get ambushed.

These are the Ancients who in trying to create a weapon that would let them sit back and relax while the Wraith were destroyed, accidentally created a meglomaniacal type of lifeform that wanted nothing more than to grow in number and ability who the Ancients then pissed off by trying to destroy them.

These are the Ancients who in the desperation created a weapon that would randomly target and blow up anythig in the area around it to release any unfortunately extra amount of energy in its charge banks.

These are the Ancients who didn't have any strategic skill whatsoever.

You really think they wouldn't solely put their most effective weapon system aboard all their ships?
:mckay:

wezel19
October 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Over-confidence in there ablities is the most likely cause of there undoing. After all they are human all be it more advanced with more advanced techonology. This in turn leads to more advanced mistakes and errors. As for other weapons - its seems likely they did have them however we have yet to see them.

2ndgenerationalteran
October 26th, 2006, 08:13 PM
the ancient warships had to have energy weapoms, drones are finite so they run out. though drones are good primary weapons, when they become depleted you are practically a transport ship.

the reason we didnt see an energy weapon used in No Man's Land is probably because we had problems powering the shields and the weapons at the same time. when they dropped the shields to go to the offensive they went with the weapon they knew would do the most damage, so they fired the drones. They could have fired the energy weapons but it probably would not have been as effective of penetrating the ships hull.

Ravroz
October 27th, 2006, 07:22 AM
I agree with you on that one. Too bad they couldn't find a way to power both the shields and weapons at the same time. Oh well, maybe they can salvage something from the wreckage of the Orion for use on the other ships we have.

Nightgod
October 27th, 2006, 10:53 AM

1 is Drones. Presumably the most effective but the most expensive to use as they only have a limited amount on board at any one time. So are used only when ultimately necessary.

2 is energy turrets like Trinity. Watch 'Allies' it gives youa very good closeup shot of the outside hull when it's going towards the bridge. There appears to be dozens of cannons running along the length of the hull. I'd say they are used for taking out the 100/1000's of Darts that swarm around & attack them when they were engaging Hives. Also we see Cruisers come above when trying to board, as well as Hives coming up alongside etc. This way, they can cover all points.

3 is energy blats coming from the huge lances at the front of it. If you look right at the front, you see 2 massive lances (spikes) protruding out from the hull. I imagine them to be like the beam that was seen in 'The Siege I' from the sat weapons platform.

So we simply haven't seen enough yet of Aurora class ships to get their full capabilities. They only had a brief spell with Orion before it got the crap blown out of it. As well as the fact that the shields were damaged along with other key systems.

Destroyed by the Asurans after they attack Atlantis, or the Lanteans will leave the city & continue on their journey in the Trea/Tria taking the ship with them.

So it may be possible that we may never full see the full capabilities of one of these types of Ancient Warships.
2) I belive those turrents seen on top of the ship are what fires the drones. I don't see any where else on top of the ship where the drones would fire from.

3) Those Spikes could be for communcation as seen on the deddy or powering the shield. If you look at Atantis it has alot of Spike/ pole on top of each building which are used as communcation and lighting rodes.

VolrathEvincar
October 27th, 2006, 11:02 AM
The ones that inadevtently caused a race of sycopathic creatures that need to eat sentient beign to live develope from bugs feading on Humans.

These are the Ancients who then let these creatures grow in numbers for thousands if not millions of years.

These are the Ancients who passively allowed these creatures to develope advanced technology, the infastructure to build massive fleets of ships dedicated to fighting and taking prey.

These are the Ancients who let the Wraith grown into the millions and build a massive fleet to destroy the Ancients.

These are the Ancients who tried to make peace with the creatures and let themselves get ambushed.

These are the Ancients who in trying to create a weapon that would let them sit back and relax while the Wraith were destroyed, accidentally created a meglomaniacal type of lifeform that wanted nothing more than to grow in number and ability who the Ancients then pissed off by trying to destroy them.

These are the Ancients who in the desperation created a weapon that would randomly target and blow up anythig in the area around it to release any unfortunately extra amount of energy in its charge banks.

You really think they wouldn't solely put their most effective weapon system aboard all their ships?

So, every race makes mistakes. They are still smarter than us. Please, foo! I pity dem!

Nightgod
October 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM

I have to agree with you 110% on that, the Ancients don't have any Strategic skills at all.
If you look at the Four Super Powers ( Asgard, The Nox, The Furing and the Ancients), none of them seem any good at fighting or coming up with a plan.

Asgard asked Earth for help with the replicators.

The Nox (Peace ) I don’t have to go into that one.

Furling we don’t know anything about them.

Anyway none of these races have as much war as compare to us, look at how many people die from war each year on earth. Also look at the US they spend billions of dollars each year finding a better way at winning a war.

Worf from Star Trek TNG: Today is a good day to die.

RepliHawk
October 27th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I have to agree with you 110% on that, the Ancients don't have any Strategic skills at all.
If you look at the Four Super Powers ( Asgard, The Nox, The Furing and the Ancients), none of them seem any good at fighting or coming up with a plan.

Asgard asked Earth for help with the replicators.

The Nox (Peace ) I don’t have to go into that one.

Furling we don’t anything about them.

Anyway none of these races have as much war as compare to us, look at how many people die from war each year on earth. Also look at the US they spend billions of dollars each year finding a better way at winning a war.

Worf from Star Trek TNG: Today is a good day to die.

I agree with that too

2ndgenerationalteran
October 28th, 2006, 01:31 AM

The weapon was made by the native people to dorandus powered by the ancient device. it was the buffer, so technically its not ancient but the ancients could easily build something better.

the ancients had 50 million years that is a hell of a lot of time to screw up. Us humans only had what 10,000 years of civilization and we've screwed up numerous times already. ancients probably arent a very big advocate of genocide, and they probably figured that a race that needs another to eat would die off fairly quickly. As far as their strategic skill go, they lived in peace for possibly millions of years, they made a practical utopia of course you will loose some battle tactics and skills.

ACharmedAsgard
October 28th, 2006, 02:59 PM
I agree with the past statements that I think the Ancient Warships do have other weapons rather then just drones, but the Atlantis Expidition just didn't have time to discover them. As McKay said before the ship was destroyed, the ship was far from fully functional and so they weren't able to find out anything more bout the ships conponants and artillery.

Just to amuse my interests, does anyone else feel that, for such advanced ships, the aurora class worships are pretty...ugly - not what you'd expect the ancients to build?

ur uncle urgo
October 28th, 2006, 03:26 PM
ya i was kinda expecting more in the way of design it wouldnt have taken that long to add some chrom or spinners anything along those lines would be nice.

Wolf_Girl_Passion
October 28th, 2006, 03:40 PM

I'm using my cousins for a second.......Thankyou Kirmit for progeny because i agree with you thay were not drones those looked like they were some kind of energy based weapons like lasers or som kind of pulse laser thingymabober.

An-Alteran
October 28th, 2006, 03:49 PM
the ancient warships had to have energy weapoms, drones are finite so they run out. though drones are good primary weapons, when they become depleted you are practically a transport ship.

the reason we didnt see an energy weapon used in No Man's Land is probably because we had problems powering the shields and the weapons at the same time. when they dropped the shields to go to the offensive they went with the weapon they knew would do the most damage, so they fired the drones. They could have fired the energy weapons but it probably would not have been as effective of penetrating the ships hull.
Point:
In Vietnam we armed our Phantom's wit nothing but missiles.
We lost a bunch because of our overconfidence.

How much more unlikely is the idea that the Ancients armed their ships with only the arguably most effective and efficient weapon system ever made?

ACharmedAsgard
October 28th, 2006, 03:51 PM
ya i was kinda expecting more in the way of design it wouldnt have taken that long to add some chrom or spinners anything along those lines would be nice.

Yeah maybe they should have taken some ship designing advice from their old pals the Asgard. A Chrome plated worship with large guns, a dominant looking appearence, and maybe a bit more symmetry (which the worships seem to have none of in their design :( ) would definately suit mine and most other people's expectations of an Ancient Worship. Plus they'd look really really cool :) (Am a bit of a kid at heart)

jds1982
October 28th, 2006, 03:59 PM
Repeat after me WARSHIP, not worship.

ACharmedAsgard
October 28th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Oh God, I just realised what I put, I thought it was just a silly grammatical error, not a whole different word.

I feel so embarassed, thanks for the pointer jds1982

Ancient worship? I sound like a jaffa obaying a different race.

I appoligise to everyone for it, God I feel like an idiot.

(crawls into little hole and repeats WARSHIP)

ur uncle urgo
October 28th, 2006, 04:51 PM
all they have to do is add a few little detail and i think it would be so much cooler the ancients needed to be more style concerned they where so tasteless. hydrolices anything o wonder to space ships have horns? and welcome to the fourm ACHARMEDASGARD

ACharmedAsgard
October 28th, 2006, 05:07 PM
all they have to do is add a few little detail and i think it would be so much cooler the ancients needed to be more style concerned they where so tasteless. hydrolices anything o wonder to space ships have horns? and welcome to the fourm ACHARMEDASGARD

Thanks for the welcome UR UNCLE URGO much appriated. I do agree, the ancients were tasteless in their WARSHIP design, however I do think some of their technology like their city ships and stargates were quite well designed. I don't know about horns LOL but I do agree the ancients should of represented themselves better in space battles.

~Benjamin~
October 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
what i find weird is that the ancient weapons that use drones when attackin a enemy ship they use hundreds of drones when clearly they only need a few ,ok this looks really kool but i think its just a bit of an overkill (cause how many drones do you need if they can go through sheilds?

oh and ACharmedAsgard try using edit when you make a mistake so then you dont have to crawl in a hole :D

ACharmedAsgard
October 28th, 2006, 05:42 PM
what i find weird is that the ancient weapons that use drones when attackin a enemy <a href="http://forum.gateworld.net/?=ship">ship</a> they use hundreds of drones when clearly they only need a few ,ok this looks really kool but i think its just a bit of an overkill (cause how many drones do you need if they can go through sheilds?

oh and ACharmedAsgard try using edit when you make a mistake so then you dont have to crawl in a hole :D

HAHA good one, I'll try that next time ;)

I think the reason why they need so many drones is because the drones are quite small, and you would need a large number of them if they want to completely obliterate something quite large. You also have to remember that the weapons like the one in antarctica were built to destroy entire fleets of ships rather then just one or two, and because the people of earth who have the gene like jack have no control on how many drones they fire, they may of fired more then they actually needed accidentally

jds1982
October 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Oh God, I just realised what I put, I thought it was just a silly grammatical error, not a whole different word.

I feel so embarassed, thanks for the pointer jds1982

Ancient worship? I sound like a jaffa obaying a different race.

I appoligise to everyone for it, God I feel like an idiot.

(crawls into little hole and repeats WARSHIP)

:) Don't feel too bad about it, I know for a fact it's a common error, kinda like people misusing their, there, and they're. Warship and worship are almost homonyms so I'd expect them to be confused. :confused: Like you said though it'd be easy to read that and think someone had a religion based off the Ancients.

Dr. Who
October 28th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I personally find the lack of symetry and roughness of the ship to cool. I think the warships would be outfitted with drones, the cannon weapon on that planet that blew up and another typr of beam weapon like on the satilite.

ACharmedAsgard
October 29th, 2006, 03:50 AM
I personally find the lack of symetry and roughness of the <a href="http://forum.gateworld.net/archive/ship">ship</a> to cool. I think the warships would be outfitted with drones, the cannon weapon on that planet that blew up and another typr of beam weapon like on the satilite.

IMO the roughness of the ship shows bad handywork, as much the ancients are intelligent i think even they, if they had not seen the ships being made, would get confused as to where the different conpartments are. Oh and speaking of that satillite now that was one ugly thing.

But any way I agree that the warships may have one of those beam like weapons on board but a very reduced strength and power otherwise the ancients wouldn't of needed to build the satillite.

Kingomon
October 30th, 2006, 05:46 AM
I personally find the lack of symetry and roughness of the ship to cool. I think the warships would be outfitted with drones, the cannon weapon on that planet that blew up and another typr of beam weapon like on the satilite.
Yeah, those look cool:cool:
As for the beam weapon I think the Ancients have one of those aboard the ancient ships after all that knowledge had to come from some where. But I doubt it is ocuiped with much of anything else after all I doubt the thought they were going to encounter a huge threat as in the wraith.

GateR_mk
November 1st, 2006, 05:22 PM

true, and from the screencaps it appears that the Aurora class warships have some type of cannon mounted on thier dorsal surface..
and the ancient ships in general look pretty cool

:sheppard:

ur uncle urgo
November 2nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
it looks like they just threw parts on the ship thats why i really dont like it

An-Alteran
November 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM
The weapon was made by the native people to dorandus powered by the ancient device. it was the buffer, so technically its not ancient but the ancients could easily build something better.

the ancients had 50 million years that is a hell of a lot of time to screw up. Us humans only had what 10,000 years of civilization and we've screwed up numerous times already. ancients probably arent a very big advocate of genocide, and they probably figured that a race that needs another to eat would die off fairly quickly. As far as their strategic skill go, they lived in peace for possibly millions of years, they made a practical utopia of course you will loose some battle tactics and skills.
They did most of their screwing up in 5 million of those years.

2ndgenerationalteran
November 3rd, 2006, 11:36 PM
are you reading what you write? 5 million years, that is human history times around 500. as i said we've screwed up how many times this past two centuries?
1) Unfair labor forces in the early 1900s and late 1800s, not just in the US but world wide.
2) The rise of the Nazi party in Germany.
Because the ancients were one race of people we could go and count all the faults that one group of people have made and you would find some major problems within our selves. Are you expecting an entire race of billions of people not to screw up in 5 million years?

Gen_J_O'Neill
November 4th, 2006, 04:46 AM
After watching 'Allies' and 'No Mans Land' again, particularly the close up shots of the orion, ive been able to see at least 26 of what must be energy cannons.

So im thinking that the ancients put drones and energy cannons on their ships. not sure about those beam's tho.

On another note, i like the look of the ships. they look really rough and industrial. Ive always believed that the ancients didnt really care what the ships looked like. They were at war and needed ships that were capable of fighting, not ones that looked pretty.

Nightgod
November 9th, 2006, 05:52 AM
After watching 'Allies' and 'No Mans Land' again, particularly the close up shots of the orion, ive been able to see at least 26 of what must be energy cannons.

So im thinking that the ancients put drones and energy cannons on their ships. not sure about those beam's tho.

On another note, i like the look of the ships. they look really rough and industrial. Ive always believed that the ancients didnt really care what the ships looked like. They were at war and needed ships that were capable of fighting, not ones that looked pretty.

I agree with that statement as well it's not a ferrari, it a warship.

Star Fox
November 9th, 2006, 10:06 AM
it looks like they just threw parts on the ship thats why i really dont like it

I guess i just have diufferent taste, i like the look of them, they look like they were built for purpose, not good looks, its very much the same as prometheus, they figured out what they needed on board, and built the ship to suit

I like the utilitarian look they have, they were built to fight a war, not to look pretty

I agree with that statement as well it's not a ferrari, it a warship.

Cant agree more

(Ignore the fact its warping)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/will107/BC/Screenshot_900.jpg

Atlantis_Man
November 9th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Well one thing you gotta consider is, do you need more than one weapon system

A single shot from the (damaged) weapons satellite took out a hive ship, as did the first volly of drones from the (insufficiently repaired) Orion warship, and evident from the debris around the planet the (improperly used) Arturus weapon is more than enough.

Is less better when you dont need any more?

Sam fisher
November 9th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I remember someone here on the forum suggested that the Aurora class ships could've been a transport class but were modified for war. That could explain why it looks rough, its just a simple, cheap transport ship.

DaCk
November 9th, 2006, 05:30 PM
I remember someone here on the forum suggested that the Aurora class ships could've been a transport class but were modified for war. That could explain why it looks rough, its just a simple, cheap transport ship.

With bits and pieces of weapons, armor, structural support, and more powerful relays placed on the hull. Hmmm... interesting theory. Makes sense of why the inside is fairly clean and nice and shiny and the outside looks like stuff is welded and tacked on.

Col. Matarrese
November 9th, 2006, 08:50 PM
With bits and pieces of weapons, armor, structural support, and more powerful relays placed on the hull. Hmmm... interesting theory. Makes sense of why the inside is fairly clean and nice and shiny and the outside looks like stuff is welded and tacked on.
That makes perfect sense, actually...Here's a thought. Ancient warships don't exactly look sexy, but inside, they're chock full of weaponry/other advanced tech, so why don't we just bring back the...what's the name of that ship...Tria? and study it some more...like in depth...don't try to fight with it, just learn from it and maybe pull a few wires/computers/big guns out of it to tack onto our ships?

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 9th, 2006, 09:21 PM

Cool image, can you make a video?

wise one
November 10th, 2006, 03:54 AM
MAYBE they are energy weapons on the top for darts and the drones were too be used for hives

Star Fox
November 10th, 2006, 07:57 AM

Cool image, can you make a video?

I suppose i could probley make a Stargate Video and throw it on YouTube

Ive got just about every stargate ship in Bridge COmmander, so it shouldent be too hard

ur uncle urgo
November 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM
i like the idea of energy weapons for darts it makes since why waste ur best weapons on ships that are more like bugs compared to you. you would use a missle to kill a bug u use a fly swater.

ACharmedAsgard
November 10th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Ive got just about every stargate ship in Bridge COmmander, so it shouldent be too hard

Now that's a vid I'd like to see :)

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 10th, 2006, 08:26 PM
Now that's a vid I'd like to see :)

I'd also want to see that. And also SG vs. ST.

ACharmedAsgard
November 11th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I'd also want to see that. And also SG vs. ST.

OOOOO time for bets people who would win???????? Anyone for £1000 on Stargate???????? :P:P

Jimbo-DR
November 11th, 2006, 04:58 AM
haha methinks Ancient and Asgard ships would lay waste to ST ships but there too different shows so you never really know. would love to see a video tho

ACharmedAsgard
November 11th, 2006, 05:59 AM
haha methinks Ancient and Asgard ships would lay waste to ST ships but there too different shows so you never really know. would love to see a video tho

Agree :) and........... Agree :D

jds1982
November 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM

I'll give you the Ancients, but I think maybe ST and the Asgard are more evenly matched.

TheReturnOfTheLantian
November 11th, 2006, 07:21 AM
I'll give you the Ancients, but I think maybe ST and the Asgard are more evenly matched.

ST?? kinda a stupid question like but i dont no :P

ACharmedAsgard
November 11th, 2006, 07:24 AM

Makes a good descussion though :)

jds1982
November 11th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Star Trek.

ACharmedAsgard
November 11th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Personnally I feel the Asgard could defeat ST seen as though ST basically resides and has a presence in A quarter of the MW (half if you include Voyager and the delta quadrant) whilst the Asgard have resided in a whole galaxy as well as the MW.

The Asgard have also managed to travel from one galaxy to another which none of the races from ST (possibly the Borq, I don't know) haven't

.jolinar.
November 11th, 2006, 08:20 AM

Fer Cryin out loud! Watch it again! the Ancients WERE firing DRONES. They looked like the Ori Beam Cannon because they were being fired in the same manner that the Ancient outpost In Antartica Fired upon Anubis's fleet. In a straight collum. enough of this.

.jolinar.
November 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Just about to say the same thing did not people notice that the ships they use in the attack was a of completely different , watch it on monday night yeah they were firing some sought of energy weapon at

At asurans city. did peetly defferent design to the Aurora and orion and I wonder if we will ever get hold of one of those, they look so much cooler.

Well as the Aurora and the Orion were Ancient scout type ships I doubt they would use scout ships to attack in that manner Instead of their Battleships.

jds1982
November 11th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Personnally I feel the Asgard could defeat ST seen as though ST basically resides and has a presence in A quarter of the MW (half if you include Voyager and the delta quadrant) whilst the Asgard have resided in a whole galaxy as well as the MW.

The Asgard have aalso managed to travel from one galaxy to another which none of the races from ST (possibly the Borq, I don't know) haven't

You really can't use the fact that hyperdrive travel is faster than warp speed to compare the two, different universes, different physics. You'd need to compare weapon strength, shield strength, hull strength, power generation capability, and ship manuevaribility to get an accurate assessment of who has superior technology. They seem to have a very similar tech level IMO. The Asgard might have the edge because I think they use neutronium in their ship hulls, but I'm not sure on that.

ACharmedAsgard
November 11th, 2006, 08:47 AM
You really can't use the fact that hyperdrive travel is faster than warp speed to compare the two, different universes, different physics. You'd need to compare weapon strength, shield strength, hull strength, power generation capability, and ship manuevaribility to get an accurate assessment of who has superior technology. They seem to have a very similar tech level IMO. The Asgard might have the edge because I think they use neutronium in their ship hulls, but I'm not sure on that.

Yeah, I agree, it is very difficult comparing different physics. I just have a feeling that the Asgard have the advantage.

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 11th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Ancients: millions
Ori: millions
Asgard: 30,000 years
Earth: 4-5 years
Goa'uld:since before 8,000 BC
Wraith: since they first approximately 10,100 years
Replicators: 10,000 years

Star Trek
Federation: a few centuries
Romulans: longer than the federation
Klingons: As long as federation
Borg: a very long time
8472: don't know
Ferengi: about as long as the federation

This is how long each of these factions have had faster than light travel capability.

freyr's mother
November 11th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Ancients and Ori would pwn. Not only because they're more advanced, but because SG is better than ST.

PG15
November 11th, 2006, 03:03 PM
but because SG is better than ST.

That's one man's opinion...;)

freyr's mother
November 11th, 2006, 03:24 PM
That's one man's opinion...;)

I know. I put it down just to screw with you guys.

jds1982
November 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Star Trek

This is how long each of these factions have had faster than light travel capability.

Well thanks for that list, did you have an argument to make, or are you just supplying us with random information?

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 11th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Well thanks for that list, did you have an argument to make, or are you just supplying us with random information?

random info.

ACharmedAsgard
November 12th, 2006, 02:49 AM

Star Trek

As most people would agree the older a race is the more advanced it usually is.

Although the physics may be different, I'm pretty sure that the Asgard would have some advantage over the ST races (Appart from the Borq) seen as though they've had more time to advance (shown in the somewhat acurate table provided by Shadow Quinn) and improve their technology

Øsiris øf the Øri
November 12th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Fer Cryin out loud! Watch it again! the Ancients WERE firing DRONES. They looked like the Ori Beam Cannon because they were being fired in the same manner that the Ancient outpost In Antartica Fired upon Anubis's fleet. In a straight collum. enough of this.

Ok first off there is a lovely little thing called an edit button so you don't need to double post.

Secondly, why waste drones one a city when energy weapons do the job and I'm pretty sure charged particles give you the option of liquifying matter while drones just sorta blow things up. nanites could easily survive a few little explostion. However once you are converted into plasma its kinda difficult to pull yourself together.

If you watcha clip you can see that the blasts are much larger then your typical drone and they are spaced out while drones look like beams, not dotted lines.

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/305/html/progeny469.html

also just noticed look at the ships in the top left corner....Battlestar anyone? But the real point of that pic. Could drons conver the surface of a planet into a volcanic waste land. If you know abotu Halo the Covenant use energy weapons to sterilize planets not explosives. There are countless examples in scifi. using explosiives is a waste they were in the middle of a war why waste drones on a city when you've got energy cannons?

O'Neill4prez
November 12th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Its a close one but i think the Asgard have the edge over ST, the Asgard have been going through space much longer, as for the Ancients, no contest the Ancients would win hands down.
As for the weapons they keep repeating this in the show, Ancient technology is so advanced that we have no idea about most of it or how to make them work. even the Asgard haven't figured it all out yet:sheppard:

ACharmedAsgard
November 12th, 2006, 08:40 AM
agreed

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 12th, 2006, 02:19 PM

Is it ready yet?

Star Fox
November 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I have barley started it lol, i was busy this weekend

that and BC is being a pain

jds1982
November 13th, 2006, 09:42 AM
Ok first off there is a lovely little thing called an edit button so you don't need to double post.

Secondly, why waste drones one a city when energy weapons do the job and I'm pretty sure charged particles give you the option of liquifying matter while drones just sorta blow things up. nanites could easily survive a few little explostion. However once you are converted into plasma its kinda difficult to pull yourself together.

If you watcha clip you can see that the blasts are much larger then your typical drone and they are spaced out while drones look like beams, not dotted lines.

http://www.stargatecaps.com/sga/s3/305/html/progeny469.html

also just noticed look at the ships in the top left corner....Battlestar anyone? But the real point of that pic. Could drons conver the surface of a planet into a volcanic waste land. If you know abotu Halo the Covenant use energy weapons to sterilize planets not explosives. There are countless examples in scifi. using explosiives is a waste they were in the middle of a war why waste drones on a city when you've got energy cannons?

We don't know all the capabilities of drones, it's possible they have a disintegrate matter setting. Explosives can convert a planet into a volcanic wasteland, take "Beachhead" as an example. The Ancient weapon fire in "Progeny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUz5jjgnJ88&mode=related&search=)" sure looks like drones to me, but judge for yourself.

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 13th, 2006, 02:57 PM
I have barley started it lol, i was busy this weekend

that and BC is being a pain

Nice, what's going to fight what. (P.S. They have a BSG ship pack on BCFiles).

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 15th, 2006, 09:08 PM
The video ready yet?

Star Fox
November 16th, 2006, 08:28 AM
ug, it will be ready when its ready

Im doing sound for a play at my girlfriends school, so im busy with real life stuff right now, ill post it when its done

Im planning on going after Toilets, Supergates, maybe the Anubis flagship, Hataks or course, everything i can grab

~Benjamin~
November 16th, 2006, 09:34 AM
have you seen the warships that were in progeny ? those were so kool :D

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 16th, 2006, 02:37 PM
I definately did. Those were pobably even moe powerful than the Aurora class.

ACharmedAsgard
November 16th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I thought they looked the same

mlund05
November 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM
I thought they looked the same

These pictures should show one of the differences between the Aurora/orion types and the larger one.

freyr's mother
November 16th, 2006, 06:27 PM
These pictures should show one of the differences between the Aurora/orion types and the larger one.
VFX screw up. Wouldn't be the first time.

PG15
November 16th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Uh...why would you say that when it's simpler to just have 2 (at least) different ship types?

freyr's mother
November 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Uh...why would you say that when it's simpler to just have 2 (at least) different ship types?

How is it simpler? It's less money to only do one type of ancient warship.

PG15
November 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Simply, there is no canon evidence why the Ancients cannot have 2 (or more) ships.

So why can't they have 2?

EDIT: I meant simpler as in the reasoning; it's a lot easier to think that it's a new type than blaming the SFX guys for a mistake that can easily be rectified.

DaCk
November 16th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I thought one of the of the ones further off in the background looked different from an Aurora class ship. So it could possibly be the same as the one where you see the rear engines in the foreground

ACharmedAsgard
November 17th, 2006, 09:12 AM

I do see the difference now. Thanks :)

freyr's mother
November 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Simply, there is no canon evidence why the Ancients cannot have 2 (or more) ships.

So why can't they have 2?

EDIT: I meant simpler as in the reasoning; it's a lot easier to think that it's a new type than blaming the SFX guys for a mistake that can easily be rectified.

Oh, I thought you were talking simpler in terms of VFX department and $.

Sam fisher
November 20th, 2006, 05:30 PM
We don't know all the capabilities of drones, it's possible they have a disintegrate matter setting. Explosives can convert a planet into a volcanic wasteland, take "Beachhead" as an example. The Ancient weapon fire in "Progeny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUz5jjgnJ88&mode=related&search=)" sure looks like drones to me, but judge for yourself.
Just to settle this, but maybe there are different types of drones. You could have your standard kinetic energy penetrator such as in No Man's Land. You could have one with High explosive. You could have one with sensors on it. Or you could have one type of drone with changeable payloads. I think the last one is more likely.

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 20th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Is the video done now?

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 22nd, 2006, 03:12 PM
Is the video you planned done yet?

ur uncle urgo
November 24th, 2006, 09:14 AM
i want to see that video so get it done already

Jimbo-DR
November 24th, 2006, 09:20 AM
I downloaded Bridge commander and modded all the stargate ships into it as well, its really fun :D

but the ori warship is way more powerful than anything else which kind of bugs me.

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM
So is the video done yet or not?

ACharmedAsgard
November 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Bring on the video!

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 25th, 2006, 03:10 PM
YEs, do bring on the video. I want to see SG vs. ST.

ACharmedAsgard
November 25th, 2006, 03:16 PM
I'm drooling just thinking about it lol

Jimbo-DR
November 26th, 2006, 07:05 PM
The ST ships in BC get absolutely DESTROYED by the SG ships. The Sovereign, which is easily the most powerful vessel in BC as far as ST ships go, gets wiped out easily by the Daedalus, a regular Ha'tak, and just about every other SG ship there is.

I was able to put my computer settings WAY down, put about 25 Sovereigns against a lone Ori warship(me) and defeat them.

The Ancient warship sucks though. Its shields are less than the Ori and it has nothing but drones. Guess I have to mod it up a bit. It would be sweet to make a video but we need ideas on what to make one of!

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 26th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Just make a crossover battle between SG and ST. I'll have the modders at BCfiles make a rehardpointed Ancient Warship with energy weapons. And is it true that a DSC-304 can destroy a Sovereign class vessel?

PG15
November 27th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Oh...can we not turn this into a SG vs. ST thread? :p

By the way, the ship's strengths are all fan-made, right? ;)

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 27th, 2006, 02:33 PM
That's all I want, an SG vs. ST video using STBC. I really just wondered if what Jimbo-DR said is true about the Sovereign losing to a DSC-304

ACharmedAsgard
November 27th, 2006, 02:40 PM
I'd love to see that! A video of a large battle where large fleets of ST and SG ships fight each other

My boy sensors are funtioning at maxium :D

Jimbo-DR
November 27th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Yes the 304 could probably take on 2 or 3 sovs without breaking a sweat. the ships ARE all fan made but they are likely accurate and here is why:

The story of star trek is that the Vulcans, who are advanced beyond us by several hundred years, give us all of their technology.

In Stargate, the ship technology we use is either Ancient, which is advanced by several MILLION years, or Asgard, which is several hundred thousand. I would expect even the weakest of Asgard and Ancient technologies to completely outdue ST technology. And that is pretty much what happens.

ACharmedAsgard
November 28th, 2006, 02:17 AM
I agree

Col. Shadow Quinn
November 28th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Yes the 304 could probably take on 2 or 3 sovs without breaking a sweat. the ships ARE all fan made but they are likely accurate and here is why:

The story of star trek is that the Vulcans, who are advanced beyond us by several hundred years, give us all of their technology.

In Stargate, the ship technology we use is either Ancient, which is advanced by several MILLION years, or Asgard, which is several hundred thousand. I would expect even the weakest of Asgard and Ancient technologies to completely outdue ST technology. And that is pretty much what happens.
When will the video be done?

Jimbo-DR
November 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Well here is my line of thinking:

I'm in the process of buying a much more powerful computer. This is helpful because even though BC is an old game, the SG ships are VERY well done and look spectacular at high settings. This causes the game to run sluggishly when a lot of them are in one battle, and it would make for a crappy video.

So i'm thinking I'll wait until I get the better system and then start churning out various videos.

jds1982
November 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I really don't think how old a culture is determines how technologically advanced they are. The Chinese have had centuries of unbroken culture, America has had a little over 200 years as a culture, and yet America is more technologically advanced.

Jimbo-DR
November 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Yes but that is abosolutely tiny compared to hundreds of thousands of years. Also growth seems to be exponentional. Took us hundreds of years to learn fire, but in the last 100 years alone we've advanced more than in the last 5000.

Certainly a race that has been thriving for several hundred thousand years should be more advanced than one only advanced for a fraction of that time.

jds1982
November 29th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Yes but that is abosolutely tiny compared to hundreds of thousands of years. Also growth seems to be exponentional. Took us hundreds of years to learn fire, but in the last 100 years alone we've advanced more than in the last 5000.

Certainly a race that has been thriving for several hundred thousand years should be more advanced than one only advanced for a fraction of that time.

If it were the same universe I would agree with you, but they are completely different and what is possible in one may not be possible in the other. Maybe technological advancement is easier in Star Trek, or technology has more potential, I don't know. But to say that this race from sci fi show A is 10,000 years old and this race from sci fi show B is 50,000,000 years old, so obviously the race from sci fi show B is the more advanced of the two, is almost completely baseless. Length of cultural existence wouldn't be the most important factor in determining technological advancement. Other things like available resources, and cultural initiative would be much more important. You also have to remember that in that several hundred thousand years they would have more time to have dark ages and technological stagnation, which would certainly set them back.

Jimbo-DR
November 29th, 2006, 04:37 PM
I'm not comparing the two different universes, i'm talking in general.

YES, a race that has been around for 500000 years is almost CERTAINLY going to be FAR more advanced than a race that has been around for 10000. Aren't humans already passed the 10000 mark? And were only barely getting into space.

Anyway thats why it makes sense that the races in stargate are so much more advanced- they've been doing it all a lot longer.

An-Alteran
November 29th, 2006, 05:09 PM
The ST ships in BC get absolutely DESTROYED by the SG ships. The Sovereign, which is easily the most powerful vessel in BC as far as ST ships go, gets wiped out easily by the Daedalus, a regular Ha'tak, and just about every other SG ship there is.

I was able to put my computer settings WAY down, put about 25 Sovereigns against a lone Ori warship(me) and defeat them.

The Ancient warship sucks though. Its shields are less than the Ori and it has nothing but drones. Guess I have to mod it up a bit. It would be sweet to make a video but we need ideas on what to make one of!
That doesn't mean that the Star Trek ships are weaker, just that the people who made the Stargate ships in the mod made the Stargate ships proportionally massively more powerful.

Besides they are different TV shows with totally different plots.
You can't compare the technology in one with the other unless they use the same principles in all their tech.

Anyway, does anyone know if you can use SG ships in the BC demo?

Dr. Who
November 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM
Is it still possible to buy BC?

An-Alteran
November 29th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Is it still possible to buy BC?
Only on ebay and the like.

jds1982
November 30th, 2006, 03:24 PM
I'm not comparing the two different universes, i'm talking in general.

YES, a race that has been around for 500000 years is almost CERTAINLY going to be FAR more advanced than a race that has been around for 10000. Aren't humans already passed the 10000 mark? And were only barely getting into space.

NO they are NOT CERTAIN to be more advanced, NOTHING is certain. I admit it's likely, and even probable, but it is most definitely not certain. Look at the Bajorans in Star Trek, they have a 50,000 year old civilization and Humans are more advanced than them.

Jimbo-DR
November 30th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Yea but again thats back to your argument that the TV shows are different and thats the decision of the people who write the show. Its still FAR MORE LIKELY that a civilization thats several hundred thousand years old will outdue one that has only been technologically advanced for several hundred years. Remember the Asgard have been flying through galaxies for the last 30000 years at LEAST, and the Ancients FAR longer.

An-Alteran,

your statement is irrelevant-of course i know the mod is a custom based thing and certainly is not cannon, however, it still makes sense that the Asgard would greatly outweigh the Federation in terms of technology.

OH and you CAN compare the technologies because even though they are different shows their base is still in our Real life world, there both based on an normal Earth, they simply set things with extraterrestial influence in both shows.

Stargate technology is clearly pretty superior to Star Trek technology.

jds1982
November 30th, 2006, 07:06 PM
Yea but again thats back to your argument that the TV shows are different and thats the decision of the people who write the show. Its still FAR MORE LIKELY that a civilization thats several hundred thousand years old will outdue one that has only been technologically advanced for several hundred years. Remember the Asgard have been flying through galaxies for the last 30000 years at LEAST, and the Ancients FAR longer.
I agree that it is more likely that an older civilization will be more advanced, however it is most definitely not a certainty as you seem to assume, but please show me a real world example that either proves or disproves your assumption.

An-Alteran,

your statement is irrelevant-of course i know the mod is a custom based thing and certainly is not cannon, however, it still makes sense that the Asgard would greatly outweigh the Federation in terms of technology.
Actually that was probably the most relevant comment made so far, fanboys will always try to make their sci fi show seem the most powerful. It may make sense that the Asgard would be technologically superior to the Federation, but it doesn't mean it's so. Honestly show me something that the Asgard can do (besides intergalactic travel) that the Federation can't. I think the Asgard probably are superior, but not by much.
OH and you CAN compare the technologies because even though they are different shows their base is still in our Real life world, there both based on an normal Earth, they simply set things with extraterrestial influence in both shows.
Really it's based on the real life world? Then where's my warp drive and stargate? Oh right we don't have them because they're based on either theoretical or fictional science, but you're right we can compare Stargates fictional numbers to Star Treks made up numbers. We'd have to know how much power their weapons put out, and how much their shields can handle, if you know those numbers, then compare away.
Stargate technology is clearly pretty superior to Star Trek technology.

Maybe Stargates tech is superior, but I haven't really seen anything to convince me that the fan made ships in Bridge Commander are accurate portrayals of technological power.

Jimbo-DR
November 30th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I never said that they were, I said they were probably accurate or at least close.

yes, those shows ARE BASED IN THE REAL WORLD. Notice how they are all human, stemmed from Earth, all that stuff? Hence the ability to compare.

And no, the comment was NOT relevant. Its not about being a fanboy. I like ST and SG. the fact is that SG advanced races seem to be far more advanced than star trek ones.

Øsiris øf the Øri
November 30th, 2006, 07:55 PM
I'm confused isn't this thread about ANCIENT warships not the differences between ST and SG.... If i'm wrong please feel free to correct me.

Jimbo-DR
December 1st, 2006, 09:04 AM
yea your right but all threads tend to go off topic after a little while, and this one has.

It cropped up from us comparing Ancient warships to other ships, so its not really that big a drift.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM
That's definately true about this thread.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 17th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Jimbo, you have that new computer yet?

ACharmedAsgard
December 18th, 2006, 03:53 AM
As more Ancient Warships are appearing they seem to start becoming better looking. Let's hope this trend continues.

kirmit
December 18th, 2006, 01:16 PM
As more Ancient Warships are appearing they seem to start becoming better looking. Let's hope this trend continues.

better looking? We've seen two so far and one was completely trashed, anything whole would've been an improvement :P.

An-Alteran
December 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM
I never said that they were, I said they were probably accurate or at least close.

yes, those shows ARE BASED IN THE REAL WORLD. Notice how they are all human, stemmed from Earth, all that stuff? Hence the ability to compare.

And no, the comment was NOT relevant. Its not about being a fanboy. I like ST and SG. the fact is that SG advanced races seem to be far more advanced than star trek ones.
This is the futility of comparing the series. For all we know the Phaser nadion beams are of a nature that would make Stargate shields useless, and just hit the hulls. Or maybe the Federation's shields are immune to the type of energy used in the energy blasts of the Orii, heck maybe Drones turn off when hitting Duranium!
We can't compare them.
They are based on different ideas.

We can compare Stargate and Battlestar Galaxtica because they both use Nuclear weapons, and they both have examples of how nukes and rail guns damage ships.
Stargate ships would easily destroy Basttlestars and Basestars because Nukes, missiles and rail guns are generally ineffective against Stargate shields.

But Star Trek and Stargate can't be harmonized into a "this person wins" vs "this person wins".

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 19th, 2006, 07:29 PM
It will still will be fun to watch though.

Jimbo-DR
December 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM
Basically, the Stargate ships lay waste without effort to almost all of the most powerful Star Trek ships as they are built in that game. Their are mods that make the Star Trek ships more powerful in relation to each other, but I'm reluctant to use them against the Stargate ships because they basically made all the Star Trek ships ridiculously strong and didn't balance them against anything else.

Maybe I'll go in and edit the stats to balance them against other ships.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 21st, 2006, 12:02 AM
Any vids gonna be done by Xmas? or New Years for that matter?

Jimbo-DR
December 21st, 2006, 03:31 AM
Well I still don't really know what you want me to take videos of. Luckily tomorrow is my last day of school before Christmas break, so I'll have more time soon, but I still need to know what to do.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 21st, 2006, 06:48 AM
Just any sort of battle between ships(SG ships). They're currently making a 3rd Pack for Stargate ships.

Arctic Goddess
December 21st, 2006, 07:16 AM
Just an observation: If starships and warships are Ancient, doesn't that make them classics?

Okay, so that's just silly. But if humans got ahold of them, we'd surely find a way to asign a monetary value to them. It's our nature. We can't help ourselves. We and the Ferengi have a lot in common.

ACharmedAsgard
December 21st, 2006, 07:36 AM
Just an observation: If starships and warships are Ancient, doesn't that make them classics?

Okay, so that's just silly. But if humans got ahold of them, we'd surely find a way to asign a monetary value to them. It's our nature. We can't help ourselves. We and the Ferengi have a lot in common.
Why would we want to sell or give them a price, they are too rare

Arctic Goddess
December 21st, 2006, 08:42 AM
Why would we want to sell or give them a price, they are too rare

As I said, it's human nature. Imagine Donald Trump eyeing one. Because he has money, and a driving need to be unique, he'd find a way to get his hands on one and turn it into an orbiting hotel/casino.

ACharmedAsgard
December 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM
well paying to stay on one ok, you could do that, but they are sooo rare that they are priceless and only belong to the United Earth Council

Jimbo-DR
December 21st, 2006, 01:53 PM
There is no "United Earth council", since were talking real world and not a Tv show.

Giving countries like China access to something like that would be the worst idea in the world.

ACharmedAsgard
December 21st, 2006, 03:42 PM
There is no "United Earth council", since were talking real world and not a Tv show.

Giving countries like China access to something like that would be the worst idea in the world.
At the moment, giving it too ANY country is bad idea

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Anybody think that Ancient warships use some sort of ZPR(Zero Point Reactor to power their ships? That would be a powerful power source.

ACharmedAsgard
December 22nd, 2006, 05:05 AM
Anybody think that Ancient warships use some sort of ZPR(Zero Point Reactor to power their ships? That would be a powerful power source.
I think most Ancient technology is ZPM based, so I would Imagine so

The Observer
December 22nd, 2006, 07:29 AM
I think not though much Ancient Technology is ZPM based if the warships were when the team found the Aurora and the Orion they would have took the ZPM's back to Atlantis, plus in the Return part 1 they guess that the Ancient warship may have a ZPM providing them with power needed to go 99.999 psl that would be typically beyond the capacity of their base powersource

ACharmedAsgard
December 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
I think not though much Ancient Technology is ZPM based if the warships were when the team found the Aurora and the Orion they would have took the ZPM's back to Atlantis, plus in the Return part 1 they guess that the Ancient warship may have a ZPM providing them with power needed to go 99.999 psl that would be typically beyond the capacity of their base powersource
The aurora probably had a depleted ZPM, or at least a device that would allow a ZPM to be used.

ur uncle urgo
December 22nd, 2006, 11:50 AM
i agree with acharmedasgard zmps we know can be depleted. even faster if you have 10 hives shooting at you.

Cban
December 23rd, 2006, 05:40 AM
to end it all the ancient ships do poses other wepons other than drones they have turrets most likely for distroying small fast moving ships most likely designed for the war against the wraith or maybe for firing at haives and crusers

ACharmedAsgard
December 23rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
to end it all the ancient ships do poses other wepons other than drones they have turrets most likely for distroying small fast moving ships most likely designed for the war against the wraith or maybe for firing at haives and crusers
I Agree since the Ori ships not only have the main Beam weapon, they also have smaller energy weapons for fighting against smaller fighters. So I'd imagine that the Ancient one would have them too.

Still it would be nice to see these weapons being fired as proof.

Cban
December 23rd, 2006, 06:55 AM
I Agree since the Ori ships not only have the main Beam weapon, they also have smaller energy weapons for fighting against smaller fighters. So I'd imagine that the Ancient one would have them too.

Still it would be nice to see these weapons being fired as proof.

there is a incredibly detailed picture of the orion and there is what looks like turrets on the ship these look sort of similar to the turret off trinity

ACharmedAsgard
December 23rd, 2006, 06:58 AM
there is a incredibly detailed picture of the orion and there is what looks like turrets on the ship these look sort of similar to the turret off trinity
Yes I know, the problem is how do we know they don't fir drones?

If the TPTB can show wether they do fire drones or not would settle any debate.

Cban
December 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Yes I know, the problem is how do we know they don't fir drones?

If the TPTB can show wether they do fire drones or not would settle any debate.

ofcourse the aurora class fire drones where have u been the past few months?

ACharmedAsgard
December 25th, 2006, 03:26 PM
ofcourse the aurora class fire drones where have u been the past few months?
No, I'm saying do the TURRETS fire drones, I know the ship does - I'm not an idiot! :P

kirmit
December 25th, 2006, 03:32 PM
No, I'm saying do the TURRETS fire drones, I know the ship does - I'm not an idiot! :P

it looks to me as though all the drones come out of one conpartment on the Aurora class ships (No Man's Land), would would be the point in seperate turrets doing the same job? I'm thinking energy weapons :D.

ACharmedAsgard
December 25th, 2006, 03:34 PM
it looks to me as though all the drones come out of one conpartment on the Aurora class ships (No Man's Land), would would be the point in seperate turrets doing the same job? I'm thinking energy weapons :D.
Yeah I agree, but untill we find out for sure we have to take in every possible use of the turrets

kirmit
December 25th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Yeah I agree, but untill we find out for sure we have to take in every possible use of the turrets

Every possible use...hmmmmm......water pistols? The Wraith don't like water :D. I definately think energy weapons though, maybe something similar to the ori pulse weapon.

ACharmedAsgard
December 25th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Yeah I agree

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 25th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Well I still don't really know what you want me to take videos of. Luckily tomorrow is my last day of school before Christmas break, so I'll have more time soon, but I still need to know what to do.

you have any videos done yet?

wilson359
December 25th, 2006, 06:56 PM
It stands to reason that the Ancient Warships would have other weapons other than the Drones. I mean they don't carry unlimited amount of drones, they'd have to have something to fall back on. My moneys on energy weapons based that were on their defence satellites, that can be used for defensive & as well as offensive fire.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 25th, 2006, 09:02 PM
That has to be the most true thing ever said on the forum about ancient warships and energy weapons.

dragon6
December 26th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Ancient Aurora Class Warships obviously have secondary pulsed energy weapons similar to the secondary weapons or the Ori Warships in turreted weapons emplacements as you can clearly see, from what ive managed to surmise the Aurora Class warship has a total of twenty six of these powerful cannons 14 mounted on the Dorsal Surface and 12 mounted on the Ventral Surface providing for a complete 360 degree coverage. as for why we have never seen these weapons used, the most plausible reason is they were damaged.

kirmit
December 26th, 2006, 02:36 AM
It stands to reason that the Ancient Warships would have other weapons other than the Drones. I mean they don't carry unlimited amount of drones, they'd have to have something to fall back on. My moneys on energy weapons based that were on their defence satellites, that can be used for defensive & as well as offensive fire.

I don't think it'll be a beam if they have energy weapons, that satellite was roughly the size of a ha'tak, an aurora class ship is only 1km long, if they had a beam it would be an obvious feature on the ship and not something we'd have to look for.

Cban
December 26th, 2006, 08:38 AM

no the turret dont fire drones ther is what looks like hanger doors on the top of the ship and this is where the drones are stored and probabily launched from

ACharmedAsgard
December 26th, 2006, 08:42 AM
Yeah I know, The original conversation was talking about all the possible uses for the Turrets.

Just me trying to be neutral :)

Lord_Revan
December 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Ancient Aurora Class Warships obviously have secondary pulsed energy weapons similar to the secondary weapons or the Ori Warships in turreted weapons emplacements as you can clearly see, from what ive managed to surmise the Aurora Class warship has a total of twenty of these powerful cannons 10 mounted on the Dorsal Surface and 10 mounted on the Ventral Surface providing for a complete 360 degree coverage. as for why we have never seen these weapons used, the most plausible reason is they were damaged.

I count 28 of these turrets 14 on the dorsal side and 14 on the ventral side. I've counted three times just to be sure and there are 6 cannons it looks like on the very front bottom side of the ship Im not even sure if they are weapons or not just thought I would point it out anyway in case nobody else saw it. And by the way where did you get those images they are really good ones.

squire.spotz
December 27th, 2006, 07:24 AM
the ancients do have energy weapons as shown in the the satelite weapon in the end of season 1 and the weapon in trinity
end of season 1 and trinity s2ep6

Cban
December 27th, 2006, 08:34 AM
the ancients do have energy weapons as shown in the the satelite weapon in the end of season 1 and the weapon in trinity
end of season 1 and trinity s2ep6

th turrets on the orion do look similar to the trinity turret

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 27th, 2006, 12:27 PM
The turret on Trinity bears greater similarity to Tollan Ion Cannons.

Gemini
December 28th, 2006, 04:16 AM
One thing lads, in the show the Ancients were developing more and more powerful ships to fight the Wraith.
They were TESTING them in battle conditions not in simulators.
So, they were mounting other types of weapons on their battleships, MORE POWERFUL then the existing ones. Therefore, those drones are not the best weapons in the Ancient's armory.
Anyway, I doubt the fact that such an advanced race is building homing missiles. Even humans have those things. The drones are a defensive weapon, used most probably to engage small-sized ships.
It is not normal to engage huge ships, to use half of the amount of drones to destroy one. Drones were only for cruisers and darts. Only in dire situations the Ancients were using probably drones on huge ships (like a Hiveship).
So, the conclusion is that if they are a such intelligent race, they would use on those damn ships more than drones.

Gemini
December 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM
And one more thing...
The Ancients were not humans... they were ANCIENTS...
Because they were having "special" abilities.
If a human accidentally (or not) develops such abilities, he is no longer a human.
Hope to square this out 4 ever.

Jimbo-DR
December 28th, 2006, 07:55 AM
And one more thing...
The Ancients were not humans... they were ANCIENTS...
Because they were having "special" abilities.
If a human accidentally (or not) develops such abilities, he is no longer a human.
Hope to square this out 4 ever.

WRONG.
Homo Sapiens is still the basic race. The Ancients are "The first evolution of this form". That is a direct quote from Sam Carter I believe. The Ancients ARE human, they are simply a much more evolved form of human.

Saying that they aren't because they have special abilities is like saying that my computer is no longer a Dell computer because I replaced the video card with something better. It is still in base a Dell computer.

Cban
December 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM
WRONG.
Homo Sapiens is still the basic race. The Ancients are "The first evolution of this form". That is a direct quote from Sam Carter I believe. The Ancients ARE human, they are simply a much more evolved form of human.

Saying that they aren't because they have special abilities is like saying that my computer is no longer a Dell computer because I replaced the video card with something better. It is still in base a Dell computer.

humas have special abilities doesnt make them a different race to every one that doesnt have that ability

Cban
December 28th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Ancient Aurora Class Warships obviously have secondary pulsed energy weapons similar to the secondary weapons or the Ori Warships in turreted weapons emplacements as you can clearly see, from what ive managed to surmise the Aurora Class warship has a total of twenty six of these powerful cannons 14 mounted on the Dorsal Surface and 12 mounted on the Ventral Surface providing for a complete 360 degree coverage. as for why we have never seen these weapons used, the most plausible reason is they were damaged.

well they may not have been damaged remember the dificulty of transfering power from shileds to fire the drones the ships was not in its prime it was in a right state i think that launching a salvo was a higher priority because they would distry the hives quikly they could not survive a prolonged battled with that ship

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 28th, 2006, 02:52 PM
WRONG.

Does this mean we'll finally get our long awaited video anytime this week or month?

Mister Oragahn
December 28th, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't think it'll be a beam if they have energy weapons, that satellite was roughly the size of a ha'tak, an aurora class ship is only 1km long, if they had a beam it would be an obvious feature on the ship and not something we'd have to look for.

Indeed, even if at some point, I thought those antenna arrays on the right were in fact part of a smaller version of the satellite cannon.

I'll have to check for the drone launching silos though. It's not that easy to really define where they take off from in the episode, since the camera does not let us properly see the ship's back during the firing sequence. It's possibly that long trap stuck between the two racks of turrets, on the bow half of the ship.

Jimbo-DR
December 28th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Does this mean we'll finally get our long awaited video anytime this week or month?

Lmao dude yea I'm sorry about that its really hard to find the time to do it with all the crap I have going on. Posting on the forums is basically all I have time to do anymore.

An-Alteran
December 29th, 2006, 12:01 AM
One thing lads, in the show the Ancients were developing more and more powerful ships to fight the Wraith.
They were TESTING them in battle conditions not in simulators.
So, they were mounting other types of weapons on their battleships, MORE POWERFUL then the existing ones. Therefore, those drones are not the best weapons in the Ancient's armory.
Anyway, I doubt the fact that such an advanced race is building homing missiles. Even humans have those things. The drones are a defensive weapon, used most probably to engage small-sized ships.
It is not normal to engage huge ships, to use half of the amount of drones to destroy one. Drones were only for cruisers and darts. Only in dire situations the Ancients were using probably drones on huge ships (like a Hiveship).
So, the conclusion is that if they are a such intelligent race, they would use on those damn ships more than drones.
You have no idea what you are talking about.

Homing missiles are missiles that track a target and chase them.
Drones are a huge step up from that.

And just because something is similar to something else, does not make it the same level of technology.

We have fire arms, people 700 years ago had fire arms.
Iur fire arms are amazingly more advanced then those fire arms.

We have rockest. People in China have had rockest for 3,000 years.
Our rockjets are far far more powerful and advanced.

We have particle energy engines, what do the Ancients use?
They use some form of particle energy engine, so do the Asgard and the Orii.
Just because something is the same principle, does not make it as advanced or as unadvanced.

As for how the Ancients used Drones, you don't know.
You are stating speculation as fact without any basis for such an assertion.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 29th, 2006, 01:31 AM
I wonder, are there any Ancient Warships in the MW?

IWKYZerocool
December 29th, 2006, 02:26 AM

you never know.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 29th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Check out the Lego Daedalus thread, I found a Lego Aurora class.

StevenCaldwell
December 29th, 2006, 03:30 AM
How many ancient warship do we think are there in the galixey

not just the peggy or milkly, i mean every were.

could be stationed with the Asgard?

Cban
December 29th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Check out the Lego Daedalus thread, I found a Lego Aurora class.

where?

ACharmedAsgard
December 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
How many ancient warship do we think are there in the galixey

not just the peggy or milkly, i mean every were.

could be stationed with the Asgard?

I think we would have known if there was an Ancient warship with the Asgard so I doubt it. However there may be a possibility there is some in the Asgard galaxy

ur uncle urgo
December 29th, 2006, 03:18 PM
i think the ancients saw the asgard like they see us they would not have giving them any tech that could be used against them or that could harm them. so if there are they are well hidden.

Col. Shadow Quinn
December 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
where?

Lego Daedalus thread, General Stargate Discussion Section.

starwatcher
August 24th, 2008, 04:57 PM
We have only seen a few lantian warships and only for a short time. So there could be more weapons on the ships that we have not seen yet.

boberth2o
August 24th, 2008, 05:38 PM
If you watch the Atlantis BAMSR and Mortal Coil the Ancients warships do have energy weapons, and quite a few of them. Look at what I circled in red below

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k240/boberth2o/untitled-3.jpg

stargater1990
August 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM

i seriously doubt it. the reason being because they never built a warship until they accidentally created the wraith, and then the wraith destroyed them all in the war that lasted at least a hundred years. the only exeption would be if a ship left the peagasus galaxy to meet up with the others that left atlantis for earth like the tria was doing but then im sure they took it apart to make shelters.

caesar_sg1
August 26th, 2008, 02:03 PM
it would be cool if the ships had two chairs one for drones and one for mini drones like in that one episode with the genii and that princess
mini drones kick butt
they could also kick dart butt also.

Woden
August 26th, 2008, 02:18 PM
they have hologram technology and possible rings on board but most likely drones since they are the ultimate weapon in combat for the ancientsAgreed.

stargater1990
August 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
But drones can penetrate shields without any trouble..

Why use energy weapons that need I don't know how many shots when you can just kill a ship with one drone to the hyperdrive :) (/bridge)

personally i dont think they were equiped with energy wepons, but the wraith dont have shields so that shouldnt be a consideration because the auroras and their wepons were designed for wraith warfare.

Character
August 27th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Yeah, i think the ancient satelite, if equiped with good shields, possibly a zpm, as ancients dont seem to have any medium power sources, would be far better than drones

_Famrir_
August 27th, 2008, 03:42 PM
they could of advanced to the point where they didnt need energy weapons

Crazy Tom
August 27th, 2008, 03:49 PM
they could of advanced to the point where they didnt need energy weapons

Ever seen a picture of one of the damn things? It's bristling with turrets. Reused models of Tollan Ion canons I think- I better get green for that.

caesar_sg1
September 1st, 2008, 05:24 PM
Ever seen a picture of one of the damn things? It's bristling with turrets. Reused models of Tollan Ion canons I think- I better get green for that.

if an aurora class ship has energy weapons as you say wouldnt they put those energy weapons on atlantis also?
it just seems logical.

who knows they could have an energy weapon like in first strike

ManiacMike
September 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Oh Tom...

This
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ShishouTaiyoukai/Stargate/Orion_07_Back-1.jpg

does not look like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ShishouTaiyoukai/Stargate/Ion_cannon_Between_Two_Fires.jpg

Completely different modelers. Same style, but different none the less.

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 09:33 AM
I notice the same after I looked at a pic of the Orion from Inferno.:P

thekillman
September 2nd, 2008, 09:51 AM
those guns are re-used "trinity" guns

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
those guns are re-used "trinity" guns

No their not, their compleatly diffent guns, thier barrels are more traditional versus the emmiter spikes of the Trinity gun, the weren't mounted on ball bearings, and their casings are far more geonetrical, verus the smoth, curved body of the Trinity wepon.

thekillman
September 2nd, 2008, 10:46 AM
you mean this one? [scroll down, 7th one in reverse] (http://stargate.mgm.com/stills.php?series_id=3&season=2#anc2)

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
you mean this one? [scroll down, 7th one in reverse] (http://stargate.mgm.com/stills.php?series_id=3&season=2#anc2)

Yeah.

thekillman
September 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
well, look at the aurora pic. you see similar guns

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
well, look at the aurora pic. you see similar guns

I don't see it.

thekillman
September 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k240/boberth2o/untitled-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/ShishouTaiyoukai/Stargate/Orion_07_Back-1.jpg

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Those aren't ball bearings. I have a picture on my computer, but I can't remeber where I got it, it's a high def screencap from Inferno, thise are regular turrets.

Zalenka
September 2nd, 2008, 12:06 PM
maybe the ancients didn't need a lot of weapons on their ships as they were so powerful that they didn't need to clog their ships full of weapons.

The wraith were the only enemy that they had, since the Ori millions of years before, that posed a serious threat to them.

The Asgard were similar, they didn't have a battleship till the replicators came along. They also had only one type of weapon.

I suppose if one thing works really well you don't need anything else.

I've just had an idea for a thread.

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 12:08 PM
maybe the ancients didn't need a lot of weapons on their ships as they were so powerful that they didn't need to clog their ships full of weapons.

Have you even se an Aurora? Their bristling with DEWs!:P

Zalenka
September 2nd, 2008, 12:19 PM
Have you even se an Aurora? Their bristling with DEWs!:P

What are DEWs?

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
What are DEWs?

Directed Energy Weapon-s.:P

Zalenka
September 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Directed Energy Weapon-s.:P

I'm so stupid.:(

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 03:43 PM
I'm so stupid.:(

A disgace to the name.:P joking.:P

Zalenka
September 2nd, 2008, 03:56 PM
I don't see why an Ancient warship would need DEWs (Direct Energy Weapons) LOL

Drones will do the job. They can totally outflank multiple enemy ships.

Crazy Tom
September 2nd, 2008, 03:59 PM
I don't see why an Ancient warship would need DEWs (Direct Energy Weapons) LOL

Drones will do the job. They can totally outflank multiple enemy ships.

Two reasons I can think of:

1. Amunition independant, as lon as you have power you can keep shooting.

2. Interception, take out the enemy munitions in flight.

Since Auroras have never displayed the second ability, I'd assume it's the first.

wise one
September 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
its understandable the arouro would have directed energy weapons since drones are limited and there are lots of darts as we seen them used in BAMSR

Zalenka
September 4th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Drones are so powerful. You probably don't need that many. it'd probably be almost impossible to run out.

Unless of course you are under a prolonged attack from the Wraith.