PDA

View Full Version : Get in the Gate Contest!

Alex Rubit
October 24th, 2006, 07:03 PM
With the Season Three premiere now as little as two days away, we'd like to take a moment to announce a little contest which we'll be running for the next couple of weeks.

Horizon's Get in the Gate Contest is similiar to the ones you may have seen on the sci-fi channel in the US, in that the winner will be receiving a walk on role on the show. Now, how would that be possible on a virtual show, you ask? The answer is... this walk on role will just be executed in a bit of a different way.

Basically the winner will be receiving the honors of having a character named after them. This character will then appear in an episode later this season.

If you want to be able to say that you're a very special part of the Horizon universe, then here's all you've got to do: Most importantly, make sure to read the all-new episodes of Season Three, starting this Thursday with "Rogues." For the next couple of weeks, there'll be a question posted every week, to which the answer can be found in the latest episode. At the end we'll then be posting one or two more general questions, to which the answer can be found anywhere in the series. But no worries, they won't be too hard to answer. You'll just need to know one or two things about Horizon and its characters. ;)

So over the next few weeks make sure to save your answers, because towards the end of the contest, we'll then be giving you an email address to which you'll need to send all of the correct answers, along with your complete name.

The contest will be running for the first nine episodes of the season, which will be airing from October 26th through December 28th. Then in January we'll be collecting your answers; and out of all the fans who'll have submitted the correct answers, we'll then be pulling a winner, who'll be announced by the end of January. By that time we'll be working on episodes in the latter half of the season; and in one (or more) of those episodes the winner will then "appear."

The questions will be posted on the website as well as on this forum and the SGU forums every Tuesday, following the release of the new episode. So look for the question relating to "Rogues" a week from today.

Enjoy! And good luck!

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
October 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
This sounds fantastic. Wow, I cannot wait for Season 3. It promises to be the best yet!

WhiskeyBravo65
October 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Now this should be fun.

mckaychick
October 28th, 2006, 06:37 AM
yes very fun!

Alex Rubit
October 31st, 2006, 05:07 PM
Okay, everyone. It's now time to post the very first of nine episode-related questions. Over the course of the next couple of weeks, the type of question might vary. So perhaps we'll be seeing some multiple choice questions as well at some point.

In order to particepate in the contest (which's basics are explained in the above post), just make sure to save all the correct answers. In December we'll then be giving you an email address to which you can then send in the answers with your name. The questions will be numbered, based on which episode they're focused on.

And here's the question for episode 3.01, "Rogues." And we're starting off with something that's really not too difficult; that is, if you've read the episode. ;)

3.01 Question: What is the name of the ISGC Shuttle which Colonel Saunders uses to kidnap the Connor family?

Please do not post your answer in this thread; it will only be deleted. Instead, make sure you've got the right answer, and be prepared to send it in along with the answers to the future questions at the end of the contest.

Good luck!

Alex Rubit
November 7th, 2006, 03:33 PM
Alright, folks! Another Tuesday, which means it's time for the next question. And this time it's multiple choice. But not too difficult, if you've read the episode. ;)

3.02 Question: How do Saunders and his people scan for life signs inside the Covinar Science Base. Are they using--

A - A Vorian Scanner

B - An Ancient Life Signs Detector

C - They don't scan for life signs

As usual, make sure to hold on to the correct answer. And be prepared to email it to the address we'll be giving you in December.

Good luck!

Alex Rubit
November 14th, 2006, 07:28 PM
And with another Tuesday comes another question. This time it relates to "The Search, Part One."

3.03 Question: What's the name of the commanding officer of the Cheyenne Mountain Base at the time this episode takes place (2013)?

As always, good luck!

Alex Rubit
November 21st, 2006, 07:56 PM
Another Tuesday, another question. This time the answer can be found in "The Search, Part Two."

3.04 Question: What's the name of the system in which the Vorian fleet engages the Kih'Andari fleet?

You've got the answer? Then make sure to hold onto it, as there's five more questions to come. Then you'll need to send all your correct answers to an email address we'll be giving you in December.

Good luck!

Alex Rubit
December 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Since I forgot to post it last week, this week there'll be two questions, for both "Preservation" and "Trepidation." Make sure to be ready to send in your answers in a few weeks, and next thing you know you may find yourself in an episode of Horizon. ;)

3.05 Question: What is the date that's mentioned by Zach in this episode? (day, month and year)

3.06 Question: How do Chase and Christine manage to get the Ancient device to work, despite the fact that one of its power crystals is missing?

A) By hotwiring it with the power cell of a Vorian scanner.

B) By finding its original power crystal.

C) What are you talking about? There was never any power crystal missing in the first place.

As always, good luck!

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 3rd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Er...? Questions?

Col.Foley
January 3rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
Indeed. It hasw droped off the rasdar.
Here is some dialogue to indicate this.
"We have a contact." THe radar controller said glaring into his screen.
"Report."
"One more fighter... Wait, it disapeared, we have lost the contact."
Ten minutes. "Anything?"
"No nothing, it just wen off the scope."

SierraGulf1
January 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Since there haven't been any, I'll pose the three latest questions:

3.07 Question: How many failed interrogations do David and Chase assist with on the Kih'Andari base?

3.08 Question: What color is Rhes Gitsul's pen? What color powder does it shoot out?

3.09 Question: Approximately how old was Bay'lar when he first met Garren?

Tried to make them difficult, but it should really be no problem finding the answers.

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
January 4th, 2007, 12:59 AM
so when do we send our answers in and where to?

Alex Rubit
January 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM
We'll be announcing the email address to which to send your answers this weekend, along with how much time you'll have to send in the answers.

The plan is to announce a winner around March; just on time for the winner to make an "appearance" in one of the final episodes of the season.

Arctic Goddess
January 4th, 2007, 11:17 AM
We'll be announcing the email address to which to send your answers this weekend, along with how much time you'll have to send in the answers.

The plan is to announce a winner around March; just on time for the winner to make an "appearance" in one of the final episodes of the season.

Such an awsome idea, Alex. Good on you.

I just hope that the winner isn't some unbefore known person with a name like, "Dufus McSquiggly".

And don't say it's unlikely. I know a Sandy Butt and a Harry Butt. Needless to say, they prefer to be called Sandra and Harrison.

Patricia

Elite Anubis Guard
January 7th, 2007, 10:13 AM
3.08 Question: What color is Rhes Gitsul's pen? What color powder does it shoot out?

That's 2 questions...

SierraGulf1
January 7th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I prefer to think of it as a two part question. :)

Alex Rubit
January 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I just hope that the winner isn't some unbefore known person with a name like, "Dufus McSquiggly".

In that case we'd have no choice but to still name the character after the guy. :D

Alex Rubit
January 8th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Alright, I know people have been asking about it, so here it is. The email address to which you'll have to send in your correct answers.

The deadline for sending in your answers is Febuary 5th. So if you don't have all the answers yet, or if you want to verify them again, make sure to do that, so that you can mail them in before the deadline.

In order to particepate in the contest, simply send an email to [email protected]

The email should contain all of your correct answers, listed with the number of the episode the question was from.

Also, make sure to include your full name (first and last).

After Febuary 5th, we'll be then printing out all of your emails, out of which the winner will be pulled. Be aware that everyone who participates will have an equal chance to end up being the winner.

The winner will then be announced some time around late Febuary, just on time to make an appearance in one of the final episodes of the season.

We hope that a lot of you will particepate. This is your opportunity to literally become a part of the Horizon universe!

Good luck to everyone!

Arctic Goddess
January 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Alright, I know people have been asking about it, so here it is. The email address to which you'll have to send in your correct answers.

The deadline for sending in your answers is Febuary 5th. So if you don't have all the answers yet, or if you want to verify them again, make sure to do that, so that you can mail them in before the deadline.

In order to particepate in the contest, simply send an email to [email protected]mail.com.

The email should contain all of your correct answers, listed with the number of the episode the question was from.

Also, make sure to include your full name (first and last).

After Febuary 5th, we'll be then printing out all of your emails, out of which the winner will be pulled. Be aware that everyone who participates will have an equal chance to end up being the winner.

The winner will then be announced some time around late Febuary, just on time to make an appearance in one of the final episodes of the season.

We hope that a lot of you will particepate. This is your opportunity to literally become a part of the Horizon universe!

Good luck to everyone!

Alex, are you saying that the answer doesn't have to be correct? That as long as you participate, you can still win?

Wineblood
January 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
It's pretty clear, you need all the right answers to get in.

Alex Rubit
January 10th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Alex, are you saying that the answer doesn't have to be correct? That as long as you participate, you can still win?

The answers have to be correct. But they can be found pretty easily in the episodes.

cheese
January 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I'll try to enter, but I'll need to catch up with a lot of episodes first. I'm just about to resume S2 at "Valiant"!

Arctic Goddess
January 10th, 2007, 12:28 PM
The answers have to be correct. But they can be found pretty easily in the episodes.

Aw, are you saying that just being cute isn't enough? I am soooo disapointed. Well, I'll actually have to work at this now.

Col.Foley
January 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
What if no one gets all the answers correct? Or what if we have multiple people who get all of them right, what then?

Lt. Colonel Ryu Gaia
January 10th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Picked out of a hat, like the man said.

Alex Rubit
January 10th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Picked out of a hat, like the man said.

Exactly. ;)

If no one were to get the answers right, we'd probably just have to pick a winner out of everyone who's sent in a reply.

Wineblood
January 10th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Exactly. ;)

If no one were to get the answers right, we'd probably just have to pick a winner out of everyone who's sent in a reply.

Wouldn't it make more sense to then pick from the people who got one wrong?

Alex Rubit
January 11th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Wouldn't it make more sense to then pick from the people who got one wrong?

That's very true actually.

Elite Anubis Guard
January 11th, 2007, 05:38 AM
I'll try to enter, but I'll need to catch up with a lot of episodes first. I'm just about to resume S2 at "Valiant"!
Yeah. Good look with that. :cameron:

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
February 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM
today is the day you guys pick a winner correct?

Alex Rubit
February 5th, 2007, 07:08 PM
today is the day you guys pick a winner correct?

Wow, I didn't realize that actually. We did announce February 5th as the deadline. I completely forgot about that. It must have slipped my mind somewhere between the immense and never-ending day to day tasks of producing this virtual show of ours, and uh... other things. ;)

Sorry about that.

I've been wanting to put the contest up on the website actually, to make some more people aware of it. So what we'll end up doing is just extending the deadline a little bit to give some more people the chance to send in their answers. Then we'll set a date by which we'll be officially announcing a winner, once new episodes start to air on the 15th.

So to everyone who's eagerly anticepating to find out if they've won, just bear with us for a little while longer. And to those of you who haven't sent in their answers yet, make sure you take advantage of the extended deadline.

Good luck to everyone!

Col.Foley
February 6th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that actually. We did announce February 5th as the deadline. I completely forgot about that. It must have slipped my mind somewhere between the immense and never-ending day to day tasks of producing this virtual show of ours, and uh... other things. ;)

Sorry about that.

I've been wanting to put the contest up on the website actually, to make some more people aware of it. So what we'll end up doing is just extending the deadline a little bit to give some more people the chance to send in their answers. Then we'll set a date by which we'll be officially announcing a winner, once new episodes start to air on the 15th.

So to everyone who's eagerly anticepating to find out if they've won, just bear with us for a little while longer. And to those of you who haven't sent in their answers yet, make sure you take advantage of the extended deadline.

Good luck to everyone!
And there was much rejoicing to the increase in deadline!

Elite Anubis Guard
February 6th, 2007, 10:17 PM
LOL! I didn't even realise. *Goes off to find his answers and to e-mail them*

Ripple in Space
February 10th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I'll enter the contest if you'll rename all of the existing characters after me, and name all future characters after me.;)

Alex Rubit
February 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I'll enter the contest if you'll rename all of the existing characters after me, and name all future characters after me.;)

I'm a little worried about the confusion that could cause.

Col.Foley
February 11th, 2007, 07:22 PM
"Hi Ripple" "High Space."
"In report your status"

cheese
February 15th, 2007, 05:12 PM
With the release date now the 22nd is the contest remaining open until then?

SierraGulf1
February 15th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Yup, one more week to do it.

jmm
March 26th, 2007, 06:51 PM
And the winner is ....

:D

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
March 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM
they never did announce who won this stinkin thing. personally i think its kinda a waste of time to tell me but im not gripeing since i would be happy if i won the contest.

Alex Rubit
April 1st, 2007, 06:56 PM
Well, it's been taking a little longer than we had initially planned it, but the contest is finally coming to a close. And here's how things will go down:

The deadline for sending in your answers to the questions (posted earlier in this thread) is Friday, April 6th. So those of you who haven't sent in any answers yet, make sure you do so before next Friday.

The winner of the contest will then be announced on the following Tuesday, April 10th. We already know which "role" the winner will be playing; this character will most likely appear in both 3.23 and 3.24. And this particular character will be named after whatever name you will give us. Ideally it should be the real name of the winner. ;)

Once again, good luck to everyone!

Alex Rubit
April 9th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Just a little reminder that the winner of the get in the gate contest will be announced tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it, since then I'll finally know what name to be using for this one character in the script that I'm currently writing. ;)

Ripple in Space
April 9th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Remember, if it's me, EVERY (former, current, and future) character has to be named after me.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 10th, 2007, 12:12 AM
I sure hope I win. I never win anything.

Alex Rubit
April 10th, 2007, 07:29 AM
Remember, if it's me, EVERY (former, current, and future) character has to be named after me.

No problem.

Alex Rubit
April 10th, 2007, 07:32 AM
I sure hope I win. I never win anything.

Good luck again. The winner will be determined later today. And we may even have a little surprise in store. But more on that later. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
April 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Good luck again. The winner will be determined later today. And we may even have a little surprise in store. But more on that later. ;)

Like the naming of the Gate Tech?

Alex Rubit
April 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Like the naming of the Gate Tech?

We'll definitely accept recommendations for what his first name could be. So whoever can come up with a good first Vorian name... :cameron:

But regarding this contest, it's safe to say that everyone who sent in their answers will be winning something. We came up with this idea since there's only a handful of people who particepated, and since it's taken so long for us to finally pick a winner.

So stay tuned. Not too much longer now.

prion
April 10th, 2007, 03:32 PM
I think I entered once. can't recall. Scifi's site has problems whenever i try to enter. might have better luck winning lotto!

Alex Rubit
April 10th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I think I entered once. can't recall. Scifi's site has problems whenever i try to enter. might have better luck winning lotto!

Actually, this was refering to the Horizon version of the get into the gate contest. So the sci-fi site wouldn't have anything to do with this. ;)

Well, I'm happy to say that the winner has been chosen (randomly). Shortly we'll be officially announcing who the lucky one is -- and in what way everyone who entered will end up being lucky.

Alex Rubit
April 10th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Well, the great moment as finally arrived. After months and months of waiting and delays, some more waiting followed by some more delays, a couple of more more waiting and... uh, delays... it's time to finally announce the winner of the first Horizon Get Into The Gate Contest. :jonas:

First off, thank you very much to everyone who chose to enter. And as I've mentioned earlier, all of you will be winning something (all five of you, that is). Kind of as a reward for having particepated, and also for having been kept waiting for this long.

The actual winner of the contest was chosen randomly earlier today. So everyone who mailed in their answers had the same chance of being the one who's name was selected out of the five.

Anyway, without further ado, the winner of the first Get Into The Gate Contest is (I'll put it in spoiler space to keep the suspense):

Aaron "Percy" Percival

Congratulations!

So there will be a character with that name appearing in the two part season finale.

Now, as I was saying, we've felt that all of you who've particeated here should at least win something. And I think no one's going to complain about this little surprise.

As you know, starting with "Omen" all remaining episodes of this season will be part of an arc. Which also means that the episodes will be ending in a way which will hopefully have you wanting to see how it will continue from this point forward (expect some interesting cliffhangers). And those five of you who've particepated in this contest will be getting a chance to get an exclusive first look at "Hidden Agendas" once "Omen" has aired.

And this will work like this: After "Omen" will be released on Thursday, we'll be emailing the Teaser and Act One of "Hidden Agendas" directly to you. That's right, an entire week before the episode actually airs.

Surprise!!!

Naturally, all discussions regarding this sneak peek once it's been sent out, will have to include some heavy spoiler alerts. And those of you who'd rather wait until the complete episode is avaiable, you can do that too, of course. That will be completely up to you. But this is our way of giving you a little reward for having particepated in this contest.

We'll be emailing this to the email addresses from where you've sent in your answers this Thursday night after 8pm (Central Time). If one of the addresses is no longer accurate, make sure to let us know.

And with that, the contest concludes. Maybe we'll do this again next season, if people are interested. Also, feel free to give us some more feedback. Since only so few people have sent in answers, I've been wondering -- did some of you think the questions were a little too difficult?

If you let us know, we'll be able to improve things if we'll decide to do this again next season.

jmm
April 10th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Congrats to the Winners!

darn... I should have sent the answers. I had them on a text file but forgot to send them (And I forgot where I put the text file to begin with).

Well, there is always next time....... maybe

Elite Anubis Guard
April 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Neat. So the character will just have my name?

Alex Rubit
April 10th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Neat. So the character will just have my name?

Yup. Of course, we could also add some specific description if you'd like us to. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
April 11th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Lol. Can I know a little about the guy? What role? Military, scientist?

Alex Rubit
April 11th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Theoretically this could be a minor spoiler.

He's a crewmember on the Bellerophon.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 12th, 2007, 05:42 AM
Lol not sure my appearance would suit a military man. Messy, unkept, brown hair.

Alex Rubit
April 12th, 2007, 06:04 AM
Hmmm. Perhaps it can still be changed to a scientist.

Elite Anubis Guard
April 12th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Nah. My name is good enough.

Ancala
April 12th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Just a handful contestants?
I thought the contest was rather easy, so I would have expected at least two hands full...

Oh, congratualutions to Aaron "Percy" Percival;)

Elite Anubis Guard
April 12th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Thats me!

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 12th, 2007, 06:36 PM
i was one of the people that entered the contest i haven't recieved the teaser and act one of "Hidden agendas" yet so im just wondering when you guys were going to send that out to the five people that entered.

Alex Rubit
April 12th, 2007, 07:56 PM
i was one of the people that entered the contest i haven't recieved the teaser and act one of "Hidden agendas" yet so im just wondering when you guys were going to send that out to the five people that entered.

It depends. Have you even read "Omen" yet? ;)

Ancala
April 13th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Thats me!

I knew!;)

Lt.Colonel John Sheppard
April 13th, 2007, 01:21 PM
yes i did

TechnoWraith
April 13th, 2007, 01:31 PM

It's entirely possible to submit incorrect answers. I don't think they're going to exclude an entry because they submitted a wrong answer. One thing they might filter is multiple entires with just any ridiculous answer, especially if they're submitted one after another. Probably won't happen, but you never know. Most entries will be honest attempts to answer the questions correctly. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
April 13th, 2007, 11:32 PM
It depends. Have you even read "Omen" yet? ;)

I have indeedy.

Alex Rubit
April 14th, 2007, 09:04 AM
The Teaser and Act One of "Hidden Agendas" have been sent out to everyone who particepated in the contest. If you haven't got the email yet, make sure to let us know so that we can send it your way again.

And make sure to use spoiler warnings when talking about what you've read of the episode. We wouldn't want to ruin the surprise. That is, if there's a surprise that happens somewhere in the Teaser or Act One. Who knows these things for sure? ;)

Enjoy!