This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An Orbital Stargate and DHD question

Could a ground DHD activate an orbital stargate?

I suppose, though I do not know what the "range" of the two communicating, is.

I would think the gate would have to be in a geosynchronous orbit over where the DHD is situated.

I cannot readily come up with a situation where this arrangement of control would be preferable to what is done now.
    "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

well, yeah, it would be impractical, im just wondering what happened to the DHD at the planet in Rising pt2

Comment

To answer the original question, it's been established that an orbital gate does not necessarily need to be in geosynchronous orbit in order to be dialed by a DHD. Here's part of the transcript from part 2 of "Rising":

(Scene: A MALP has been sent to a gate address dialed from Atlantis.)

SHEPPARD: It’s in space!
        McKAY: It’s in high orbit around a planet on the far side of the galaxy.
        WEIR: You’re sure this is the right address?
        McKAY: It’s the only one we could get a lock on.

The DHD-type devices on the puddlejumpers are also able to dial in to the gate orbiting the Wraith planet; I'm assuming that the Ancients were somehow able to program the gates (at least in Pegasus) to accept a non-fixed point of origin. (I'll let the sciency-techy people discuss that one)
        We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

I think you misread the question. A DHD can dial out to anything really, It's a pretty good system.

If I'm not mistaken (And I never am, just ask aAnubiSs) Furyofaseraph wanted to know if a DHD on the ground of the planet could activate a stargate in orbit above it.
          sigpic

Comment

It's a legit question, and one we don't have a good answer to.

The DHD is wireless, and my guess is that the DHD can power the gate in orbit since the Ancients were really advanced.

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph
              well, yeah, it would be impractical, im just wondering what happened to the DHD at the planet in Rising pt2
              It could certainly still be down there on the planet. I wonder if it would HAVE to really be in line of sight to "talk" to the gate. Relay system could be in place or have been develped by the Ancients. Just conjecture here, of course.

Were I the wraith, I would place it near the mother ship to monitor gate traffic. Remember how the glyphs on the DHD (Talia's planet) lit up when the gate was dialed remotely from the Darts?

Interesting question on your part.
              "Let's make it TEN. Ten's a nice...round...number..." -- Morty

Comment

Well, remember the three pods power the gate itself.

Originally posted by Hohenzollern
                It could certainly still be down there on the planet. I wonder if it would HAVE to really be in line of sight to "talk" to the gate. Relay system could be in place or have been develped by the Ancients. Just conjecture here, of course.

Were I the wraith, I would place it near the mother ship to monitor gate traffic. Remember how the glyphs on the DHD (Talia's planet) lit up when the gate was dialed remotely from the Darts?

Interesting question on your part.
                Good idea.

Comment

so the question is do the remote dialing from darts and puddle jumpers goto the gate or the DHD. if the remote goes the the DHD (which then supplies the point of origin which the remote can't) and then the DHD dials the stargate. that would mean the orbit gates would have a DHD on the planet with which they would have to comunicate.

so because the glyths light up when dialed by remote would suggest the DHD is wireless connection the the gate, power might be coming from somewhere else in the atlantis gates not the DHD like earth gates

Comment

Originally posted by Furyofaseraph
                    Could a ground DHD activate an orbital stargate?
                    Unknown, the farthest we have ever seen a DHD dail a gate was in in Pt 2 of The Rising and that was less than a kilometer.

A better question is why would you want that kind of set up? No mater how fast your ship was you could never get to the gate in orbit after dialing on the ground before the gate shut down.

Another issue brought up is the remote DHDs on the ships knowing the PoO. Simple, the remote takes the last destination you dialed as the PoO for the next dailing. When the SGA team took the PJ for the first time it had Atlantis already preprogramed as the PoO. When they dialed the wraith planet its coordiantes became the PoO in the remote when they dialed back to Atlantis.

Also since the ground based DHDs are smart enough to know where they are after they have been moved you would figure that the remote on the PJs (being more advanced) would be capable of the same thing.

Comment

The lack of PoO just proves that dialing computers are capable of determining the PoO and transmitting it to the gate in numerical form, proving everything i said. <wins> <runs over to the complete gate dialing theory thread to gloat>
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X