Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Trek VS. Stargate. The debate rages.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Star Trek VS. Stargate. The debate rages.

I wanted to bring up the cliche of how newbies tehnd to make verses threads.
    So yaeh, anyway, I wonder how many will post "not another VS thread" before they read my OP.

Here are the questions I pose:
    Many debate which is the better show, which has better ships, who would win in a war.
    All that is well and good.
    Here is a new set of questions, 4 philosophical questions, 4 questions of pure interesting nerdism:
    Throughout Star Trek and Stargate:
    Which shows a more modern culture centric series of events?
    Which applies more to the Human question?
    Which show applies most to our daily and lifelong lives?
    And the main question of all:
    Which show shows a more practical level of technology?
    Which show's technology is most advanced?
    Which show's technology is most advanced in the sense of realism?
    Which shows technology is most advanced in the sense of practicality?

I would say that Stargate does.

I'd say Stargate.

I would say Stargate, because they have jobs like we can get here, they have the Countries we have here, they have the technology, mostly, that we have here. Its alot like our time, for all we know, there could be a secret Stargate that they do not want to anounce to the public (Just a thought).

Which show's technology is most advanced? I'd say that Star trek has alot more advanced technology, Star trek has got sheilds on like every ship, phases, not just lasers, and beams, and torpedoes (like stargate), and alot of stargate ships havn't even got sheilds. But look at the Ancients/Nox/Asgard, They are VERY advanced. But in Star trek, nearly every race has got equil technology. Like, every race has got actual star ships, not just fighters/shuttles. Its not that often to find big stargate ships, theres only a few (Goa'uld mothership is only just included). In Star trek, the photon torpedoes can take out a whole ship in one shot, and one photon has a masive blast radius. Stargate weapons, like Goa'uld weapons, takes alot of shots to destroy a ship. But in Star trek, the ships have got bigger, faster, and better ships. But the thing i like about Stargate is that every race has different sorts of technology, Star trek, 99% have the same type. The torpedoes are basicly the same, the phases are the same, just different colours, the sheilds and hull are basicly the same tough, made of the same materials. But, it doesn't change the fact, i would think that Star trek is more advanced then Stargate, just take a look at Earth in Star trek, they have alot more then Earth in Stargate.

(But to be honest, they both have there better and worst aspects, Stargate has the Stargate which was built by the Ancients, i don't think people in Star trek could build that, my coment on Star trek being more advanced was an over all)

I'd probably say Stargate, Star trek has alot of stuff over-the-head. Their technology is all make beleif, most of Stargates is actual technology that might/is invented. Stargate has alot more real aspects to the show then Star trek, Star trek is a true Sci'fi, Stargate has ALOT to do with Humans, real life, there job, there friendships, etc.

I would say that Stargate has more advanced technology in the sense of practicality, Stargate has alot of weapons that can do small damage, and some that can do masive damage. Take the weapon that can destroy all matter in the universe for example, or the weapon to destroy the Replicators, or even the weapon that overloads the Stargate. Star trek only really has torpedoes, phases, and some other small weapons, nothing really big. I would say Stargate by heaps, Stargate is alot better then Star trek in that aspect.

Allthough that they are both very good shows, with good technology, i would conclude, Star trek is more of the same thing, and kind of gets boring, and has a basic stroy line, but Stargate, is alot more about other things, and doesn't get boring for a second, and Stargate is alot more to do with our modern day lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Saris View Post

I'd say Stargate.

I would say Stargate, because they have jobs like we can get here, they have the Countries we have here, they have the technology, mostly, that we have here. Its alot like our time, for all we know, there could be a secret Stargate that they do not want to anounce to the public (Just a thought).
      Just to make sure:
      I meant philosophically how does Stargate apply.
      Ex:
      IE: Which shows stories that relate to our world's events right now, labour, personal struggles, personal exploitation, terrorism, and war?
      And how does Stargate apply to the Human Question moreso than Star Trek?

I'd probably say Stargate, Star trek has alot of stuff over-the-head. Their technology is all make beleif, most of Stargates is actual technology that might/is invented. Stargate has alot more real aspects to the show then Star trek, Star trek is a true Sci'fi, Stargate has ALOT to do with Humans, real life, there job, there friendships, etc.
      Well I have to disagree (this is a debate thread. ).
      Stargate certainly is not more realistic.
      Stargate might use more actual technology then Star Trek. But I was reffering to the not-real technology.
      Star Trek is mostly based on actually scientifically possible theories.
      Transporters are remotely possible. The succesfully projected a Photon from earth to space for instance.
      Stargate has that also though.
      Wormholes, both have.

Phasers are based on actual technology.
      Advanced lasers that fire charged particle and light beams.
      Theoretically plausible.

Anti-matter reactors. Technically possible, but currently infeasable.

Personally I think both share imposssibilities and implausibilities essentially equally.

The only thing Star Trek has over Stargate is Warp drive.
      Warping Space is possible. Hyperdrive subspace seems to not be based on that, but rather on traveling on a different plane of time.

In Startrek subspace is simply what they call actively warped space.
      They do wierd things with it sometimes, but essentially that is it.

I would say that Stargate has more advanced technology in the sense of practicality, Stargate has alot of weapons that can do small damage, and some that can do masive damage. Take the weapon that can destroy all matter in the universe for example, or the weapon to destroy the Replicators, or even the weapon that overloads the Stargate. Star trek only really has torpedoes, phases, and some other small weapons, nothing really big. I would say Stargate by heaps, Stargate is alot better then Star trek in that aspect.
      Star Trek has the Genesis device which can create or destroy all things on a planet. Just like the Dekara Weapon, but just isolated to any one planet.

Star Trek has weapons that can destroy entire planets. The Species designated 8472 for instance can do that.

But weapons are not what I meant by Practicality.
      Though Phasers and Disruptors are certainly more practical than any hand weapons in Stargate.

By practical I meant every day practical.
      Star Trek has L-CARS, the touchscreeen computer interface, and a voice activated limited ship library and systems AI.

Star Trek has PADDs, sort of like our little handheld computer notebooks/ crossed with a wireless internet capable laptop.
      Communicators that have a very long range, and are very small, compact, and useful.
      Tricorders that can detect tons of things about people and things around them.
      Air, energy, everything.
      Personal life readings, the species of people around, ect.
      Transporters that can take you anywhere at anytime, almost instantly without having to bring you to the ship and then send you back down.
      Weapons that act just like tools when needed to.
      Ect.
      Stargate seems to lack that practicality.

Allthough that they are both very good shows, with good technology, i would conclude, Star trek is more of the same thing, and kind of gets boring, and has a basic stroy line, but Stargate, is alot more about other things, and doesn't get boring for a second, and Stargate is alot more to do with our modern day lifestyle.
      Well, I guess it depends on taste.
      Personally, for me, Star Trek always is far more deep in its message.
      Especially in the Deep Space Nine series.

Comment

Which show's technology is most advanced? I'd say that Star trek has alot more advanced technology, Star trek has got sheilds on like every ship, phases, not just lasers, and beams, and torpedoes (like stargate), and alot of stargate ships havn't even got sheilds. But look at the Ancients/Nox/Asgard, They are VERY advanced. But in Star trek, nearly every race has got equil technology. Like, every race has got actual star ships, not just fighters/shuttles. Its not that often to find big stargate ships, theres only a few (Goa'uld mothership is only just included). In Star trek, the photon torpedoes can take out a whole ship in one shot, and one photon has a masive blast radius. Stargate weapons, like Goa'uld weapons, takes alot of shots to destroy a ship. But in Star trek, the ships have got bigger, faster, and better ships. But the thing i like about Stargate is that every race has different sorts of technology, Star trek, 99% have the same type. The torpedoes are basicly the same, the phases are the same, just different colours, the sheilds and hull are basicly the same tough, made of the same materials. But, it doesn't change the fact, i would think that Star trek is more advanced then Stargate, just take a look at Earth in Star trek, they have alot more then Earth in Stargate.

(But to be honest, they both have there better and worst aspects, Stargate has the Stargate which was built by the Ancients, i don't think people in Star trek could build that, my coment on Star trek being more advanced was an over all)
        Most races use Photon Torpedoes.
        But the Federation developed Quantom Torpedoes that pull Zero Point energy from space to increase its yield.
        Also the ships are not made of the same materials and vary greatly in how ell they are made, and how tough they are.

My expositions on the major civilizations in Star Trek and Stargate
        Federation ships tend to be the highest quality, toughest, most redundant and efficient (with mandatory double backup systems for everything), most advanced, and roughly the most powerful overall in the Alpha Quadrant, though they are also the most complex, most complicated and hardest to maintain over long periods of time when faced with a crew shortage, and also tend to have larger crews. They are the easiest to maintain in the sense that their ships and systems are most reliable, but tend to be hard to maintain after a while if the crew is to small because the systems and the ship is just so dang big, compact, and complicated. Oh, and they take longer to build, and are harder to assemble in ship yards.

The Romulans seem to be the most practical, second in all areas to the Federation, but most effective overall because of their focus on Cloaking and attacking without warning. Their initial weapons barrages tend to be more effective also, but less efefctive over the long term.

The Klingons have the most haphazard ships, tough, but put together very crudely. Effective for their purpose, and simple in construction, but inflexible and relatively fragile in short term combat, but effective in long term heavy fighting.

The Cardassians are the least advanced, have the weakest ships, but tend to build them rather well and in large numbers.
        They are not as varied as the Federation, but more flexible then the rest.
        The Ferengi just like money and their ships revolve around cargo.
        They tend to be large in voluume, but have little inside them besides cargo room.
        They are almost equal with the Federation in quality, and technological advancement.
        But tend to be flamboyant and not very practical (who would be when your religion believes that heaven is a treasury, and you bid for your reincarnation?)

The Bajorns are the most innovative, and most adaptable because they were under Cardasian control and occupation for many years.
        They are the only race besides the Federation to use Phasers effectively.
        Overview:

The Federation uses the best of everything. Smallest, Toughest.

The Romulans use what will make their ships the most insidious and annoying.

Klingons use the most crude items. But all aimed for combat usefulness.

Cardasians use whatever they can find, and try and build many tough ships.

Thre Ferengi use whatever they want if it will get them profit.

The Bajorans use whatever they can find, however they can use it.

The Ancients are Uber, but make stupid mistakes. Their ships are tough and large, but tend to get destroyed by weaker foes that attack ad nausium.
        Their weapons are by far the coolest of all races. Harmonizing the vast advantages of beam, pulse, and missile/projectile technology in their purest and most advanced forms. Unfortunately they tend to use them in ways that are bad ideas. They only use Drones on ships that travel around and would have to fight for long times. This is unfortunate because Drones, while extremely powerful efficient and effective, can only be stored in so many numbers. When you run out, you have no offense untill you get or make more. The eams and pulses were mainly put on instalations that could hold millions of drones instead. Drones are very effective, but only in engagements where the enemies have fewer ships than Drones. While the beams are very effective, but fire slowly and cannot destroy ships en mass. While pulses tend to take longer to destroy ships, but are the least power intensive and can be fired more freely and liberally. Their defence is energy based only, so their hulls tend to be easily damaged and their systems tend to be very easily disabled. Sucks when you have your shields getting pounded, and for a split second a blast penetrates and the first system to go offline is the shields. Bye bye ship. They tend to be to cocky, and not build their ships for battle efficiency, but rely on advanced cool alien uber tech to save them. Bassically their tech comes before practicality.

The Asgard have pulse weapons. They are the most adaptable technologically. They bield their ships with quality at the utmost. No expense spaired. They have strong hulls, and effective weapons, with more than adequete shielding. They tend to lack in abstract terrorist strategy (blowing up important things when enemies are trying to get them to kill the enemies). But are strong in forward traditional strategy (straffing runs, efective formations, abushes).

The Goa'uld are most steeped in tradition. Not wanting to advance for fear of overthrow by scientists, or their minnions. Desireing power, but afraid of a technological arms race. They preffer sacrificing their fodder in mass battles to flex their uberness, rather then use efefctive strategy. They encourage religious idealistic, traditional strategy (like the British used in the Revolutionary war, and we used in the Illegal Southern Rebellion[hey if they want to call it the War of Northern Aggression, lets call it what it really was. ]). They build their ships with tough hulls, and rather meager shielding.
        Their ships are effective at carrying troops, and blowing up towns. And they are very effective against other main ships. They tend to have efficiency issues however in that they, while tough and heavily armored and shielded, tend to have fragile systems that fail rather easily under fire though easily repaired. They tend to brake easy, get fixed easy, and be hard to cause to blow up. They tend to have very poor internal structure as to efficiency, and very little security options.

The Tauri tend to build their ships with whatever they can find. They tend to be easily damaged, but very hard to destroy. Tough but fragile on the inside. Their ships are armored well, but have no shielding besides that given to them by the Asgard. Their primary systems are mosty aquired from non-earth sources. They are poorly armed, and tend to be easily defeated in fights. They are very versatile however, and very adabtable. Further, they are almost as manueverable as the Asgard ships. Unfortunately enemies tend to have accurate targeting systems. Their power systems lack the ability to take full advantage of the Asgard technology. They can't push the engines with their own power source, because the ships power systems could cause the ship to blow itself up. Essentially shorting it out by using to low a power supply. They tend to be the most inovative.

The Wraith build their ships for war. Weapons cover the ship. They use biological technology to allow faster build times(maybe) and little labour costs(probably), as well as active labour free long term and short term low level maintanence. Their ships are very tough, but rather easy to damage. IE: they can get cut easy, but it is hard to knock them out. Like a person easily bruised, and has weak easily bleedable skin, but is very muscular and has a high pain tolerence. Their ships come in large numbers, but are very very unadaptable and don't use shields. A power saver when fighting the Ancients who's weapons make shields useless.

The Orii. Ancients with a good sense of ship building. Their weapons are effective, and don't run out. Unlike the Ancients who don't seem to like having backup systems, the Orii use a weapon that does not relly on ammunition. Their beam weapons are very effecyive against any know target, besides targets that act as heat and energy syncs. The Dakara weapon was disguised as rock, but was built by the Ancients so it channeled all the energy away, and was dang hard to destroy. They balance the low rate of fire of the main weapon, with arrays of pulse cannons that are also immensely powerful, but less destructive and overwhelmingly uber.
        Their ships are tough, and so well shielded that they are nearly immpossible to destroy. Only shield bypassing weapons can damage them, or unfortunate run ins with supergate activations. And possibly their own cannons, or the Ancients beam and pulse weapons.

The Nox like ature and make all their tech to hide them, and camaflauge them, and intertwine with nature undisturbingly.

The Furlings like forest cities, and towns in trees.

Overview:
        The Ancients are best in all technology, but lack experience to impliment them efficientlyfor combat, and seem to not like to innovate or use things to their full potential.

The Asgard are the opposite of the Ancients, but are less Advanced in every way. They simply use things to their current full potential. They also are inovative and have hoards of experience.

The Goa'uld hate change, like power, don't like to take risks that don't involve the deaths of a lot of mind-wiped crazy warrior fanatics. They like long term efficiency and long term light maintanence and upgrades in their ships.

The Tauri just do whatever they can. They build quality, efficiency, and innovatively. They try to get their hips to last in spite of the writters strange desire to blow up their ships and kill their captains.

The Wraith like killing people. The build their ships for long term maintanance, short construction time, ease of labour, resistence to serious enemy external damage, and effective long term engagements with foes when they have the advantage in numbers.

The Orii. Similar to Ancients, but they have experience, and apply their tech efficiently. They also don't use their more practical tech to its full potential, and preffer tradition over innovation.

The Nox are like the Ancients, just green party hippies.

The Furlings are like Ewoks with tech at Asgard level.

What do you think of my expositions?

Comment

Originally Posted by Saris

I'd say Stargate.

Just to make sure:
          I meant philosophically how does Stargate apply.

IE: Which shows stories that relate to our world's events right now, labour, personal struggles, personal exploitation, terrorism, and war?
          And how does Stargate apply to the Human Question moreso than Star Trek?
          I'm sorry, i didn't really know what you meant by them .

Well I have to disagree (this is a debate thread. ).
          Stargate certainly is not more realistic.
          Stargate might use more actual technology then Star Trek. But I was reffering to the not-real technology.
          Star Trek is mostly based on actually scientifically possible theories.
          Transporters are remotely possible. The succesfully projected a Photon from earth to space for instance.
          Stargate has that also though.
          Wormholes, both have.
          Well, i guess you are right, they are both good in that aspect then.

Well, I guess it depends on taste.
          Personally, for me, Star Trek always is far more deep in its message.
          Especially in the Deep Space Nine series.
          You have a good point here, it really does depend on taste. That's why i said personally . But, i really like Deep Space Nine series too, i havn't seen much of the others, i saw a few episodes here and their. DS9 is the only really series ive seen, and abit of Enterprice. Thats why my arguments aren't very good.

Most races use Photon Torpedoes.
          But the Federation developed Quantom Torpedoes that pull Zero Point energy from space to increase its yield.
          Also the ships are not made of the same materials and vary greatly in how ell they are made, and how tough they are.
          Very true, but i actually meant the Federation ships, my bad. But i get what you are saying, each ship is made of different materials.

My expositions on the major civilizations in Star Trek and Stargate
          Federation ships tend to be the highest quality, toughest, most redundant and efficient (with mandatory double backup systems for everything), most advanced, and roughly the most powerful overall in the Alpha Quadrant, though they are also the most complex, most complicated and hardest to maintain over long periods of time when faced with a crew shortage, and also tend to have larger crews. They are the easiest to maintain in the sense that their ships and systems are most reliable, but tend to be hard to maintain after a while if the crew is to small because the systems and the ship is just so dang big, compact, and complicated. Oh, and they take longer to build, and are harder to assemble in ship yards.
          The Borg have got very strong ships too i beleive? And can hold alot of borg droves on board? And the Federation ships backup systems are fantastic, when you watch the episodes, they get there sheilds and power down, and then backup systems come online. Makes it more interesting i beleive, although i havn't seen many episodes. Don't know why i didn't mention this.

The Bajorns are the most innovative, and most adaptable because they were under Cardasian control and occupation for many years.
          They are the only race besides the Federation to use Phasers effectively.
          Oh, i didn't know that, i knew that they were under Cardasion occupation for 50 or so years, 48 or something to be exact, but i thought that most races use Phases, well very close to phases, and do basicly the same, just different colours/some abit weaker or stronger (Since i havn't seen that many, i didn't exactly know).

The Federation uses the best of everything. Smallest, Toughest.

The Romulans use what will make their ships the most insidious and annoying.

Klingons use the most crude items. But all aimed for combat usefulness.

Cardasians use whatever they can find, and try and build many tough ships.

Thre Ferengi use whatever they want if it will get them profit.

The Bajorans use whatever they can find, however they can use it.
          Oh, i didn't realise that, just wondering, you say the Bajorans use whatever they can find, however they can use it, that means they are kind of like the Ferengi? Would they kill a Ferengi for some valuble cargo? just wondering, how extreme are the Bajorans?

Comment

The Ancients are Uber, but make stupid mistakes. Their ships are tough and large, but tend to get destroyed by weaker foes that attack ad nausium.
            Their weapons are by far the coolest of all races. Harmonizing the vast advantages of beam, pulse, and missile/projectile technology in their purest and most advanced forms. Unfortunately they tend to use them in ways that are bad ideas. They only use Drones on ships that travel around and would have to fight for long times. This is unfortunate because Drones, while extremely powerful efficient and effective, can only be stored in so many numbers. When you run out, you have no offense untill you get or make more. The eams and pulses were mainly put on instalations that could hold millions of drones instead. Drones are very effective, but only in engagements where the enemies have fewer ships than Drones. While the beams are very effective, but fire slowly and cannot destroy ships en mass. While pulses tend to take longer to destroy ships, but are the least power intensive and can be fired more freely and liberally. Their defence is energy based only, so their hulls tend to be easily damaged and their systems tend to be very easily disabled. Sucks when you have your shields getting pounded, and for a split second a blast penetrates and the first system to go offline is the shields. Bye bye ship. They tend to be to cocky, and not build their ships for battle efficiency, but rely on advanced cool alien uber tech to save them. Bassically their tech comes before practicality.
            The Ancients aren't exactly "Uber", they are just very, very advanced, and how do they use there weapons badly? And they get beaten by weaker enemies? The Wraith had numbers, thats if you were refering to them. And i agree that they are abit cocky, but they don't allways rely on there "cool alien uber tech to save them", i agree, most of the times they do.

The Asgard have pulse weapons. They are the most adaptable technologically. They bield their ships with quality at the utmost. No expense spaired. They have strong hulls, and effective weapons, with more than adequete shielding. They tend to lack in abstract terrorist strategy (blowing up important things when enemies are trying to get them to kill the enemies). But are strong in forward traditional strategy (straffing runs, efective formations, abushes).
            Well, i agree with that, mostly, but tending to lack in abstract terrorist strategy is sometimes good, sometimes bad. And its not exactly their fault, thats how they are, thats why they asked for SG-1 to help them destroy the Replicatiors, they needed someone "dummer then they are". SG-1 could help because they think more extreme, and do alot more practical things to ensure they win a battle. Yet, they don't allways succeed.

The Tauri tend to build their ships with whatever they can find. They tend to be easily damaged, but very hard to destroy. Tough but fragile on the inside. Their ships are armored well, but have no shielding besides that given to them by the Asgard. Their primary systems are mosty aquired from non-earth sources. They are poorly armed, and tend to be easily defeated in fights. They are very versatile however, and very adabtable. Further, they are almost as manueverable as the Asgard ships. Unfortunately enemies tend to have accurate targeting systems. Their power systems lack the ability to take full advantage of the Asgard technology. They can't push the engines with their own power source, because the ships power systems could cause the ship to blow itself up. Essentially shorting it out by using to low a power supply. They tend to be the most inovative.
            There ships normally arn't that good, but if they get more help from the Asgard they can make them alot better, don't know why they don't.

The Wraith build their ships for war. Weapons cover the ship. They use biological technology to allow faster build times(maybe) and little labour costs(probably), as well as active labour free long term and short term low level maintanence. Their ships are very tough, but rather easy to damage. IE: they can get cut easy, but it is hard to knock them out. Like a person easily bruised, and has weak easily bleedable skin, but is very muscular and has a high pain tolerence. Their ships come in large numbers, but are very very unadaptable and don't use shields. A power saver when fighting the Ancients who's weapons make shields useless.
            True, but the Wraith have alot more ships, and soldiers to use in combat, gives them the major advantage, so even though the Darts can get destroyed easy, and the Bigger ones (Hive ship) can take alot of hits, but could be destroyed pretty easy by a Ancient weapons platform, the numbers are unthinkable. The Wraith win 99% of their fights because they just charge in, and make them fall back. And the Wraith want to get more food, so they fight for that, gives them something to fight for (Like teal'c fighting for freedom, kind of the same, but not really).

The Orii. Ancients with a good sense of ship building. Their weapons are effective, and don't run out. Unlike the Ancients who don't seem to like having backup systems, the Orii use a weapon that does not relly on ammunition. Their beam weapons are very effecyive against any know target, besides targets that act as heat and energy syncs. The Dakara weapon was disguised as rock, but was built by the Ancients so it channeled all the energy away, and was dang hard to destroy. They balance the low rate of fire of the main weapon, with arrays of pulse cannons that are also immensely powerful, but less destructive and overwhelmingly uber.
            Their ships are tough, and so well shielded that they are nearly immpossible to destroy. Only shield bypassing weapons can damage them, or unfortunate run ins with supergate activations. And possibly their own cannons, or the Ancients beam and pulse weapons.
            Yeah, the Ori have very good Weapons, ships, etc. Don't know why they don't do as good as they should. They could easily take down Earth if they wanted to, i know they want them to worship them, just saying. And how in an episode they caught an Ori (scout guy...) by using some pulse or something to cut off his powers. I would think that everything the Ori have, and all the stuff they can do, they wouldn't fall into a trap like that. Thats assuming they are gods .
            The Nox like ature and make all their tech to hide them, and camaflauge them, and intertwine with nature undisturbingly.
            Yes, the Nox just make there technology to hide, but they are still, very, very, very advanced, probably more then the Tollan, who are extremely advanced compared to the Tauri.
            The Furlings like forest cities, and towns in trees.
            Yeah, but how did they get to be one of the four races? I don't get that.. And how come you never see a picture of them? I keep wondering what they would look like..

Well, you made alot of exelent points, i admit i was wrong about alot of things, but i still beleive alot of what i said. Nice argument, i guess .

Comment

The only thing Star Trek has over Stargate is Warp drive.
              Warping Space is possible. Hyperdrive subspace seems to not be based on that, but rather on traveling on a different plane of time.
              I was just wondering, Which do you think would be faster?

Comment

Stargate
                Staragte
                Stargate
                Stargate
                Ancients of Stargate
                Both Star Trek but that is only because they are set far into the future if you were to set Stargate into there time the Stargate's Humans would demlish the Federation.
                Come see Kingomon's Stargate stories about:
                Poseidon, the Ancient's King and
                new enemy of the Ori
                At: http://www.stargate-sg1.hu/fanfiction/

Comment

Star Trek is in a deadlock right now, they don't want to let down their old fans, but they want to attract more people from the general public as well. We've seen in Enterprise that this doesn't work. DS-9 HOWEVER did work for the general public, but StarTrek fans all to often dont like it. It was however, a lot like Stargate, it had "gods", a seemingly unstopable force from far away, and massive battles between fleets. DS-9 was like the SGC of the Federation, the front line and the only accesway for their enemies to the Alpha(or was it Delta lol?) Quadrant.

Comment

The Borg have got very strong ships too i beleive? And can hold alot of borg droves on board? And the Federation ships backup systems are fantastic, when you watch the episodes, they get there sheilds and power down, and then backup systems come online. Makes it more interesting i beleive, although i havn't seen many episodes. Don't know why i didn't mention this.

Oh, i didn't know that, i knew that they were under Cardasion occupation for 50 or so years, 48 or something to be exact, but i thought that most races use Phases, well very close to phases, and do basicly the same, just different colours/some abit weaker or stronger (Since i havn't seen that many, i didn't exactly know).

Oh, i didn't realise that, just wondering, you say the Bajorans use whatever they can find, however they can use it, that means they are kind of like the Ferengi? Would they kill a Ferengi for some valuble cargo? just wondering, how extreme are the Bajorans?
                    The Borg are intruders into the Alpha quadrant. I was mainly reffering to races in the Alpha quadrant, or active in it. Thhe Romulans and Klingons are in the Beta Quadrant.

The Borg:
                    The Borg are the most advanced of known races in the Galaxy. Their ships are extremely tough, one Borg ship can take down an entire fleet of Federation, Klingon, Romulan, or any other races ships.
                    Their ships can be shot at for litterally days without being destroyed, as long as the damage is not all at once. The ship has massive repair capabilities, and can adapt to most weapons, preventing those weapons from causing damage. A phaser blast for instance, when first encountered, blew a hole the size of a mid size starship in a borg cube. After the Borg adapted, phasers barely damaged the Borg ships at all.

You are right about the occupation.

And no, the Bajorans are not extreme.
                    I meant they will use whatever they can. They are peaceful, and will aquire what they can, when they can. Their tech level is rather low, but they try their best.

The Ferengi can afford most anything. And they use whatever they want, if it looks nice or might increase their profit margin.

I was just wondering, Which do you think would be faster?
                    Well, realistically, Warp Drive, because it is actually possible.

In the shows:
                    Hyperdrive is vastly faster than warpdrive.

Slipstream is close to a medium speed interstellar hyperdrive in spead.

Transward drive is far faster than interstellar hyperdrives, but may be far slower than intergalactioc hyperdrive.

Originally posted by Kingomon View Post
                    Stargate
                    Staragte
                    Stargate
                    Stargate
                    Ancients of Stargate
                    Both Star Trek but that is only because they are set far into the future if you were to set Stargate into there time the Stargate's Humans would demlish the Federation.
                    Could you please give reasons?
                    How does Stargate beat Star Trek in every catagory?
                    You are not making an argument.

The Ancients aren't exactly "Uber", they are just very, very advanced, and how do they use there weapons badly? And they get beaten by weaker enemies? The Wraith had numbers, thats if you were refering to them. And i agree that they are abit cocky, but they don't allways rely on there "cool alien uber tech to save them", i agree, most of the times they do.
                    The Ancients used their weapons poorly in distribution.
                    They hould have put pulse weapons on the Aurora class ships in case they ran out of Drones in extended battle.

They should have put that super power source from Trinity on a Ship so as to allow an advantage in shielding and weaponry in a mobile platform.

And the Ancients are teh uber.
                    I mean seriously, their Drone weapons wiped the floor with Anubis' fleet.
                    I would love to see what happened to the Wraith when they fought.

There ships normally arn't that good, but if they get more help from the Asgard they can make them alot better, don't know why they don't.
                    They are built well, and are easily repaired in flight.

True, but the Wraith have alot more ships, and soldiers to use in combat, gives them the major advantage, so even though the Darts can get destroyed easy, and the Bigger ones (Hive ship) can take alot of hits,
                    Hive ships cant actually take that many hits.
                    And the Wraith had a lot more ships... before the war.
                    I think they barely won.
                    And then only because they exghausted the Ancients will to fight.

but could be destroyed pretty easy by a Ancient weapons platform, the numbers are unthinkable.
                    Certainly.

The Wraith win 99% of their fights because they just charge in, and make them fall back. And the Wraith want to get more food, so they fight for that, gives them something to fight for (Like teal'c fighting for freedom, kind of the same, but not really).
                    The Wraith actually lost most battles with the Ancients.

Yeah, but how did they get to be one of the four races? I don't get that.. And how come you never see a picture of them? I keep wondering what they would look like..
                    We know what they look like. Just like Ewoks.
                    Last edited by An-Alteran; 23 October 2006, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Freek View Post
                      Star Trek is in a deadlock right now, they don't want to let down their old fans, but they want to attract more people from the general public as well. We've seen in Enterprise that this doesn't work. DS-9 HOWEVER did work for the general public, but StarTrek fans all to often dont like it. It was however, a lot like Stargate, it had "gods", a seemingly unstopable force from far away, and massive battles between fleets. DS-9 was like the SGC of the Federation, the front line and the only accesway for their enemies to the Alpha(or was it Delta lol?) Quadrant.
                      And ironically enough, DS9 did control a wormhole. Isn't that some funny stuff?

: Green is Good.
                      sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by An-Alteran View Post
                        Stargate IMHO never really went into many social issues besides the minor "Extremists are bad" motif seen thoughout SG1. Star Trek, on the other hand, at least in its haydays, tackled social questions frequently; i.e. the Vietnam War, Homosexuals, the sacrifices of morals in war, etc. The Orignal series excelled at this.

Of course, most of the messages were subtle as a trainwreck.

Well, Star Trek's definately more focused on the "human condition", while Stargate's more adverterous and fun.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Human question".

Due to Stargate's time frame, it shows average joes much better than Trek ever did.

However, many of the themes explored by trek, although not involving everyday characters, did speak true to people. Given the sci-fi nature of both, it's hard to see how any of it applies to our lives, but I'll give this one to Star Trek again since it speaks through metaphores about modern times (or rather, how they escaped these retched, modern times )

By far Stargate. All the stuff that we've made ourselves can potentially be developed with all the advanced stuff we've been given. The human race has made very little advancements on our own.

I'd say they're both about equal. While almost all Trek people's tech are advanced, they are all more-or-less equal. Gate, on the other hand, feature low-tech humans, to super-high tech Ancients, so it sort of evens out.

Gate, see above.

Gate. Never understood why they built those ships with those spindly necks.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                          Gate. Never understood why they built those ships with those spindly necks.
                          I was reffering to gizmos when I said that... not the ships.
                          The technology, not the application was more what I was aiming at.

As for the necks, only earlier ships had those. Newer ships have no necks, or very thick necks.

Comment

Working...
                          X