Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wraith relation to 38 Minutes Creature (Spoiler for later eps)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith relation to 38 Minutes Creature (Spoiler for later eps)

Anyone else think there is a link between the Wraith and that little bugger in 38 Minutes? I know I've seen something about that on another thread but after a quick search I was unable to find it. After seeing tonight's episode and the biotechnology the Wraith seem to employ, I was reminded of that suggestion again. Cheers.

And uh...60 or so ships? seems a bit light
    Have fun in life...you won't get out of it alive anyway.

If you're going to include spoilers for another episode, you might want to use the HTML spoiler tool or put a big honkin' spoiler space in your post, was well as mention all episodes you have spoilers for in your title....
    We suspend our disbelief, and we are entertained...

Comment

OMG! It's Nurse Ratched... from One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest... ahhhhhhh! I had to read that book for highschool summer read!!!!

Comment

60 ships does seem extremely light. I expected thousands of hive ships, and who knows how friggin many other ships they may be packing. But 60??? The Ancients fell to 60!?!?!?
        We are the ori. You will be assymilated. Resistance is futile.

Comment

Oooo...LordAnubis puts the Smackdown on NurseRatched!

At any rate, I did see a thread, (once upon a time), that mentioned a possible connection. I didn't get it then...I don't see it now either trying to remember it.
          Last edited by Ancient 1; 27 August 2004, 10:40 PM. Reason: dressup

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by ToastBusters
            60 ships does seem extremely light. I expected thousands of hive ships, and who knows how friggin many other ships they may be packing. But 60??? The Ancients fell to 60!?!?!?
            The hive ships are massy and there may be only 60 left also when was the number 60 given? If i remeber from Spoilers for Poisoning the well (in white)Steve just said "all of them" IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by John Galt
              Anyone else think there is a link between the Wraith and that little bugger in 38 Minutes?

(spoilers I guess)

But isnt that addressed in the episode itself?

Comment

Originally posted by ToastBusters

Well, who knows if there are only 60 ships first of all. Second their numbers could have dropped since they beat the Ancients.
                But the Wraiths numbers need to be low. Unlike SG1 the Atlantis group has a very finite number of personnel and so far at least no allies. Which is why I like the Wraith they have a low population which fits into the 4 people groups that the SGA sends out.

Comment

From what we've seen so far, the Ancients got 1 (Atlantis). If the Ancients are anything like the Asgard, they don't have many crews to fight. Plus the Wraith's foot soldiers are bunch of suicidal bombers. I can see how they lost.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

[QUOTE=John Galt]Anyone else think there is a link between the Wraith and that little bugger in 38 Minutes? I know I've seen something about that on another thread but after a quick search I was unable to find it. After seeing tonight's episode and the biotechnology the Wraith seem to employ, I was reminded of that suggestion again. Cheers.[QUOTE}
                    Spoiler

In 38 Minutes, Teyla said the bug acted just as the Wraith does.

And uh...60 or so ships? seems a bit light
                    Spoiler for Underground

They mentioned that the 60 or hive ships were the ones in just their part of the galaxy, after downloading that thing from the Wraith.

Comment

Spoilers for underground [Spoilers] didn't Grogan say that there was around 20 in our Quadrant and there could be as much as 60 (implying 60 overall). Remember that he wasn't really to sure though so it's not particularly concrete.

Comment

One thing to realize also is that each hive ship is HUGE. If one of them could be mistaken for a mountain, well I think that speaks for itself. As massive as they are, they could well contain upwards in the tens or even hundreds of thousands of wraith each. Even being conservative and saying that one hive ship has 100,000 wraith on it, multiply that by 60 and you get the possibility of 6,000,000 wraith in existence. There is also nothing mentioned about whether the Ancient's could destroy a hive ship or not. I know people assume that the Ancients were pretty much all powerful, but we really dont know what their offensive (except for the drones) and defensive (other than the atlantis shield) capabilities were.

The holoancient mentioned that they were caught by surprise. I also think that they had been superior to everything for so long that maybe they thought there was nothing anywhere that could defeat them so they never had any kind of military or fighters. They had been at peace so long and were so used to being considered gods by most of the peoples they met or seeded on worlds, they just couldn't conceive of being involved in an actual WAR. This attitude could lead to them underestimating and even completely discounting the Wraith as a threat until it became obvious that the Wraith were inimical to all human based life forms.

Regarding the drones, while we have seen them used as weapons against ships in space, we have no idea what they were originally constructed for. The could have been constructed for a wide variety of purposes, anything from blowing up asteroids that came too close to long range probes. We just dont know.

I think the Wraith came as a rude awakening for the Ancients who thought they were superior to any life forms anywhere. Their attitude was probably not arrogant, they were just certain in their superiority becuase they had never met any other race that could even compare to their level of technology and advancement. Then they came accross the Wraith. I am sure that even after they met up with the Wraith the first time, it took a long time before they realized that for the first time they had come accross another race that was just as old and just as powerful as they were and on top of that wanted to have them for lunch.
                        "It will take more than courage to survive what is to come"

Comment

The ancients are still technological far superior than the wraith, but there are a few things IMO people should probably keep in mind.

1. There is only one city of ancients, and there are probably at least millions of wraith if not billions, and judging by the size of Atlantis, I would say the city can support at most 10 000 people (and that's a tight fit). Million against couple thousand, that's not a good odd. And in any war, unless one is planning to use scorch earth tactic, foot soldiers are needed.

2. The ancients are in the galaxy to spread life, so most likely they never bought all their big guns, so to speak. And chances are, the people in the city are not military personal either.

3. The ancients are facing the danger of extinction from the plaque, and are probably spending all their energy and effort into researching ascension, and simply don't have the energy or the will to fight an all out war.

4. If the ascended ancients are any indication, the ancients probably already have the none-intervention policy in place, thus completely ignored the wraith until they are right at their doorstep.

5. You have consider, they are in the wraith's home turf, so the ancients are the ones who are the invaders. So that also played a role in them fighting defensively.

Comment

Originally posted by Markey2
                            Spoilers for underground [Spoilers] didn't Grogan say that there was around 20 in our Quadrant and there could be as much as 60 (implying 60 overall). Remember that he wasn't really to sure though so it's not particularly concrete.
                            You were right. I went back after I wrote it and rewatched that part of Underground and that is what Grogan said.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimeron
                              The ancients are still technological far superior than the wraith, but there are a few things IMO people should probably keep in mind.

1. There is only one city of ancients, and there are probably at least millions of wraith if not billions, and judging by the size of Atlantis, I would say the city can support at most 10 000 people (and that's a tight fit). Million against couple thousand, that's not a good odd. And in any war, unless one is planning to use scorch earth tactic, foot soldiers are needed.

2. The ancients are in the galaxy to spread life, so most likely they never bought all their big guns, so to speak. And chances are, the people in the city are not military personal either.

3. The ancients are facing the danger of extinction from the plaque, and are probably spending all their energy and effort into researching ascension, and simply don't have the energy or the will to fight an all out war.

4. If the ascended ancients are any indication, the ancients probably already have the none-intervention policy in place, thus completely ignored the wraith until they are right at their doorstep.

5. You have consider, they are in the wraith's home turf, so the ancients are the ones who are the invaders. So that also played a role in them fighting defensively.
                              I agree with all of your points (except the Ancient's technological superiority). You said it well and made some logical points about the nature of the Ancient's city and purpose in Pegasus. The Wraith appear to be militaristic and power hungry, so they are probably used to combat, whereas the Ancients probably havent had much experience fighting anything.

I think that we don't know enough about the Wraith's tech at this point to know how advanced it is. It appears to be a biotechnolgy, possibly similar to that used by Species 8472 from Voyager. It's hard to say for sure that they are less advanced than the Ancients, however. I think the holo-ancient said something about technology that rivaled their own plus being outnumbered. I forgot the exact quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X