This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've almost got a feasible cloak!

You guys have to check this out. I was browsing their site like I normally do and I ran across this. It is sooo sick!
    http://www.livescience.com/technolog...ity_cloak.html

Now all these scientists need to do is make the cloak so that it works within the visible spectrum of light and that it works in three dimensions. They should also design a suit. The next step after that would be shielding all forms of light.
    Last edited by freyr's mother; 19 October 2006, 04:58 PM.

Best Stargate quote:
    Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
    Green is your friend.

Yeah i saw that today. Its pretty cool. I wonder if now that we actually have something like a cloak maybe TPTB will incorporate it into things like the 304s and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by DaCk View Post
      Yeah i saw that today. Its pretty cool. I wonder if now that we actually have something like a cloak maybe TPTB will incorporate it into things like the 304s and stuff.
      No chance but I wish.

Best Stargate quote:
      Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
      Green is your friend.

Comment

We've almost got a feasible cloak!
        hmm that's a bit of an overstatement - besides even if such a cloak were to be perfected so as to work in 3D & also cover the full spectrum of visible light (not anytime soon), it still wouldn't be practical as a cloaking device since whoever was inside wouldn't be able to see anything outside
        So while anyone inside would be invisible to the outside, all that's outside would also be invisible to anyone inside

In other words whoever was cloaked in this manner would also be blind

Basically a Harry Potter-style mantle of invisibility is inherently impossible to achieve (at least via "passive" cloaking)
        Last edited by SoulReaver; 19 October 2006, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoulRe@ver View Post
          hmm that's a bit of an overstatement - besides even if such a cloak were to be perfected so as to work in 3D & also cover the full spectrum of visible light (not anytime soon), it still wouldn't be practical as a cloaking device since whoever was inside wouldn't be able to see anything outside
          So while anyone inside would be invisible to the outside, all that's outside would also be invisible to anyone inside

In other words whoever was cloaked in this manner would also be blind

Basically a Harry Potter-style mantle of invisibility is inherently impossible to achieve (at least via "passive" cloaking)
          Thermal imaging would still work though wouldn't it? Maybe they could 'see' to an extent if they had some sort of infared sight...

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
            Thermal imaging would still work though wouldn't it? Maybe they could 'see' to an extent if they had some sort of infared sight...
            depends - whatever EM frequencies the cloak conceals from will also make those inside the cloak blind to outside EM waves of the same frequencies

For example thermal imaging detects low-frequency EM radiation (infrared frequencies band, I think - or perhaps even below infrared - aint sure)
            So if you're inside the cloak & you wanna be able to see the outside via thermal imaging, then whoever is outside will also be able to see you via the same method
            and vice-versa if the cloak also conceals you from heat detectors (thermal imagers) then you'll also be blind to the outside "thermally" speaking (ie. any heat detector you're carrying will be useless)

It's a "two-way" principle & that can't be changed

Comment

Yes but i'm sure Sci-Fi will multilate and twist the laws of physics to MAKE it work hehe

Comment

yeah - anything's possible in SG

Comment

works for only microwaves? hell suit me up, i wanna be the first person to be microwaved and live to talk about it hell if they can make it work on a 3D scale but work for radio waves put one of these things on our planes and they would invisible to radar, but not from sight
                  Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?...mentid=1095827

Comment

Thanks for the link. That's interesting to know.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran View Post
                        hell if they can make it work on a 3D scale but work for radio waves put one of these things on our planes and they would invisible to radar, but not from sight
                        problem is, those inside the plane won't be able to use radar either

Comment

According to the article, the device wouldn't be used on planes, anyway.
                          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

too true, now we need some one to make a subspace communication system... if this tech ever comes out for commercial use when its completed (i assume it will be a very very long time from now) that would cause fun houses to cause people to freak out so bad. trap you in a room with cloaked doors so it looks like your in a room with no exits. perfect for holloween
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

It seems to me if you can really make a full-spectrum 3D cloak, it would be mostly good for hiding parked vehicles, supply depots, moble missile launchers, etc. Since a true cloak is "double blind," it would have to be removed/turned off before whatever it is hiding can be used. Otherwise, you cannot be fully cloaked.

For example, for a tank to be moble, an invisibility cloak would have to leave openings for observation ports (or small cameras?), exhaust venting, the end of any weapon barrel, etc. So while not fully invisible, a cloak might still make it hard to spot. I also assume a cloak does nothing to cover engine noise.
                              --Gilgamesh

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X