This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"38 Minutes" - Partial Dematerialization

I have a problem with the theory on this. If the front half of the ship is inside the event horizon and the rear stuck on the outside, they established that the front half ceased to exist.

Now imagine walking slowly into a gate: Would the front part of your brain dematerialize which will (in effect) give you a frontal lobatomy? If this happens, how would you remain conscious and coherent to walk the rest of the way through? Also, does this mean that the power source and motor for the MALPs have to be located in the rear? They move so slowly that if the power source was located in the front, it would demolecularize, killing the power to move the MALP the remainder of the way through.
    The signature has been destroyed!

just think of the event horizon as the threshold of a large room in subspace
    as long as you don't cross the threshold completely you can still back out
    but once you're through you get dematerialized and can't get back

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
      But in "38 Minutes", once they entered the event horizon toward the front of the ship, they could not come back out (Telya pulled Sheppard into the front half so he would be in suspended animation). They even mentioned that the cockpit had been dematerialized already. So, if the cockpit can dematerialize when part of the ship is still outside, then as you walk slowly into a gate, your frontal lobe will be dematerialized...leaving the rest of you like a vegetable.

Comment

As you remember also in that episode they were able to pull Ford out of the front because his hand was still sticking out of the event horizon. Since the people in the front of the ship were entirely within the event horizon they could not be reached.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
          As you remember also in that episode they were able to pull Ford out of the front because his hand was still sticking out of the event horizon. Since the people in the front of the ship were entirely within the event horizon they could not be reached.
          I remember. Was he paralyzed from the chest down?

Comment

No, Ford wasn't, Sheppard was.

: Green is Good.
            sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

The act of putting sheppard in there worked as he was put in there in his entirety, technically the front end of the puddlejumper should be intact but unreachable, I think that was the point they were trying to make, I dont think they meant that the gate had already put that part of the ship into the buffer or sent it to atlantis.

Comment

From what I understand, once an object has fully enter the gate it is converted to data to be transferred to the other gate. If the object is not has not completely passed through the event horizon it cannot be converted. Now if objectis halfway in the event horizon, like a PJ, when the gate shut off the front of the object will not be transmitted, and just erased and lost. That is why the people in the front of the PJ would die, and why McKay, I believe, was able to pull Ford out of the event horizon/wormhole when his hand sticking out.

Just to clarify, from the explanation that McKay gave in the episode that is what made sense to me.

And for the partially lobotomizing someone, they did that to Kawolzki in the third episode, when he was controlled by a Goa'uld, when Teal'C stuck the back of his head in the event horizon and they deactivated the gate while it was in there.

: Green is Good.
                sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

The gate is an extremely complex device. As an object crosses the event horizon it is dematerialized and put into the buffer, yes, but there is more to the "buffer" than just a storage device. If a person was just simply dematerialized as they passed through the event horizon it would probably kill them because neural conduction would be disrupted and parts of their molecular structure that enter the gate first would be "out of synch" with the rear part of their body. As a result the gate "buffer" continues to run a simulation of neural activity and transmits energy and/or matter back and forth across the event horizon until th entire object is de/rematerialized. This is whyt the PJ in 38 minutes was able to conitnued to function even though it was half-way dematerialized. This may also be why travellers can experience a "rough ride" if there are anomalies along the way. Neural function continues in simulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                    this basicly rounds it up. remember in 'enemy within' when kawalskai and Teal'c are fighting in the gate room, kawalskai is trying to get through to chulak but he keeps getting part of his annatomy through the event horison but teal'c pulls him back. then teal'c puts part of his head through then walter shuts down the gate killing kawalskai.

Spoiler:

Carter?

Sir, this is the 5th incoming wormhole in the last hour & a half

Ok, I'm here 2 hours early, when did you get here?

I... haven't left yet

Carter, didn't I ORDER you to get a life?

---------------------------------------------------

A fools paradise is a wise mans prison

Never judge a book by it's cover

One mans ceiling is another mans floor

Never...run with sissors?

Comment

Working...
                    X