This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate To Atlantis - Web Site

The domain is now working, go here http://www.stargatetoatlantis.com. The site is not yet designed completely, but these are the notes which I’ve jotted down about what the site will look like, can you tell me what you like and don’t like please.

The main page which i had written about below is now designed, and can be viewed here, http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/...ntisdotcom.jpg

Main page

I was originally going to use a splash page similar to my coming soon banner.
    this was changed do to people not liking splash pages, so instead we will have a 3rd site.
    When you go to the main domain, you end up on a page with a banner across the top, like the coming soon banner, with a page underneath.
    This page will be divided into three sections, the left, will be a narrow bar with a pick of sg1 and under it will be an enter link in which you click to enter the Stargate only site. The right, will be a photo of the Atlantis team, also with a link underneath to enter the Atlantis only website. In the middle we will have a welcome paragraph, explain what the site is about, and why there are two separate pages. then underneath that we will have the latest news and spoilers for BOTH shows, so you don’t have to go to the Stargate page to see Stargate news and to the Atlantis page to see Atlantis news you can get the 5 latest news stories from both shows right away at the same time.

Colour Scheme

Main - unknown, probably either blues and greens, or something different such as white.
    Stargate - GateWorld blue with extra Grey - Grey borders, blue text.
    Atlantis - Aqua - www.scifi.com/atlantis similar colour

Basic Layout - Both sites

Main page
    It will just have a header and no navigation bar.

Stargate and Atlantis
    Large image full width of site across the top.
    GateWorld like navigation directly under Header Image
    Left will have sub-links for the sections you go to.

Advanced layout - Both sites

Main page is described above.

Header = 950 x 155
    Dhtml menu like Gate world, same width as header image, default height of text.
    The rest is undecided but as it will only affect the home page this can be changed later.

Graphical layout

main site
    a banner across the top with the MergeGate in the centre with a larger group photo from both shows either side.

Atlantis, either using the wallpapers from Sci-Fi website, covering the whole header with Atlantis in the back ground, which will be similar to www.new-atlantis.net so we may scrap this idea, or, have the Atlantis gate in the centre, with the team infront of it, with ocean and atlantes in the background, with maybe ancient writing on either side,

Stargate, have the Stargate in the centre, with the team in front of it, with photos of alien races in the background.

Navigation

Each site will have a navigation like GateWorld.
    Stargate, I’m not sure what all the main links will be yet, but here is what I have so far, feel free to add.

The Show Information Multimedia
    Last edited by Replicarter; 04 September 2004, 11:28 AM.

I give green for signatures with ancient in them

I loath splash pages. In most cases they make for a lot slower navigation of a site for me, especially if it's one I want to come back to often.

Comment

I know, I personally don’t like them, but if we did and Atlantis site and a Stargate site we would need a splash page to link to both pages.

Comment

THe problem I usually have is that while really pretty the first time you see them, the second time I just want to go to the site in question, and the splash is just time consuming when you aren't on a high speed connection.

Comment

i know, ok, so no splash, but then how do you know what site to enter stargate/atlantis.

Comment

You're site, if you want to use it I was just giving my opinion There is always a graphic map... which can be very pretty themselves.

Comment

I like it!
              "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Baltar for President.

Comment

Like what? Splash’s? Or being sarcastic meaning you like my site because it forwards itself to GateWorld?

Comment

Bump, please read first post which has been updated.

Comment

One thing I will ask if you're making a new website, can you make it Mozilla compliant? New-Atlantis.net doesn't display properly in Mozilla properly because of the way it was designed. Apparently it's easy to make sites standards compliant you just need to know how (I don't By The Way).

Oh and the link to your site doesn't seem to work anymore.

Comment

Yea my server is down so it’s going to be offline for a few hours. I don’t know how to make it compatible with Mozcrap, I’m basing it on iframes and more basic html so if it works it works if it doesn’t get IE.

Comment

Most things work in most browsers, of course nearly everything works in IE. I can use IE 6, IE 5 for Mac, Safari, Mozilla. But I only tend to use IE 6 and Safari. I use Google Toolbar in IE 6 too, so it has everything I need.
                        __

__

Comment

I didn't think Mozilla was that great over IE, then I discovered how great it is now. Fully Skinable. Standard Compliant. Tabbed Browsing. Pop-up blocker. Lots of freely downloadable add-ons. Inbuilt download manager. Sooooo much easier.

ALl of the sites I visit normally work fine (i.e. Gateworld) but some (i.e. New-Atlantis.net) don't. It's rare for things to appear wrong in Mozilla, but apparently with a few lines of simple code a page can apparently look right in any browser. Meh.

Comment

I like things small and simple, not skinned, and you can get a program to skin IE, tabbed browsing?, I like programs that do everything, not a pop up blocker for popup, a program for spy ware, programs are better when they do everything, and the update for IE has a popup blocker, ad-ons are crap most of the time, and I prefer my P2P program Shareaza which has a built in download manager, so I don’t have to have 2 download programs running. Anyway, here is the Main site, does it look ok?

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/...ntisdotcom.jpg

Comment

the monitor that is with this computer has a screen resolution of 800x600. everything looks too small when i have it as 1024x768. think that you would have the site as both? not everyone has 1024x768.

my sister uses Mozilla on her laptop. it works pretty well. i don't think that Mozill likes fixed backgrounds. i prefer IE over it, but Mozilla is pretty good.

i don't really like sites with a bunch of fancy crap. takes too long to load. like, intros and splash stuff.

site looks kind of nice btw. except that it's a little hard to see with 800x600 (damn the scrolling!)

Note: User's posts are rarely serious.
                              Member of the F.O.R.D. || Martouf Marty's Webpage || (LJ)

Comment

Working...
                              X