PDA

View Full Version : Is there a weakness in Wraith technology?

nerus
October 16th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I wasjust watching Aurora and I was wondering how much of the simualtion and how much did the Wraith manipulate. Did he make up the weakness? It seemed to be strange that the Wraith come across the aurora and that it had the weakness. The fact that the hyperdrive would take months to return to Atlantis when the Wraith in Allies made their hyperdrives into intergalatic. what do people think?

Cap116
October 16th, 2006, 07:07 PM
It has been awhile since I saw that episode, still waiting for the season on DVD (BAH!), what weakness are you referring to? The Wraith hyperdrive weakness or the hyperdrive weakness in the Aurora.

nerus
October 17th, 2006, 09:34 AM
Thats the thing it was never explained.

Cap116
October 17th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I don't know what the weakness in the Ancient hyperdrive would be, but the weakness in the Wraith hyperdrive is that it is organic, so it can only spend short periods of time in hyperspace. Any longer and it would get fried from the radiation emitted by hyperspace generator. That is what I remember McKay explain at the beginning of the third season, I believe.

SaberBlade
October 23rd, 2006, 08:16 AM
I don't think the technology being organic is this top secret matter that would be required to be hidden from an Ancient ship captain. That's something that was figured out early in the show, and played a somewhat important fact during the end of season 1.

I think the Ancients would have been able to figure that out themselves with no trouble, so the secret I believe is something much more important. I wouldn't be surprised if the Wraith technology weakness is somehow related to it being organic, but I think it could be something related to how to easily damage the organic components, should it be a virus, or a special weapon configuration.

I couldn't see a Wraith making up the weakness, when to me it's more like she/he was trying to figure out what the ancients knew.

Alchemist
October 29th, 2006, 03:25 AM
The "problem" with Wraith hyperdrives is that they are not as effective as Asguard or Ancient-city-ship ones.

"The Ancients had two types of hyperdrive, the interstellar ones, like the one on the Aurora, and the intergalactic ones, like the one on Atlantis" - McKay, 'Aurora'.

The wraith hyperdrives are of similar function to the interstellar Ancient ones. By inducing the crew of the Aurora to try to modify the interstellar hyperdrive to become more efficient would give the Wraith the information required to update their own class of hyperdrives.

Which, may I add, is exactly what happens when the information downloaded from the Aurora mission files in the Atlantis database by the Wraith in "Allies" is incorporated into the hyperdrives on the Hive ships.