This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hyperspace questions?

I was wondering if the size of a ship affected the size of a hyperspace window?

Or, does the amount of power you supply to the hyperspace window depend on ship size?

We know that more power means you go faster in hyperspace, but if you had a smaller ship with the same amount of power, would it go faster?

Also, if you had the power supply to do so, could you create a hyperspace window while in hyperspace?

So, what exactly is the difference between Goa'uld, Asgard and Ancient hyperdrive engines? I know the Goa'uld ones are not as efficient, but if they were, would they be as fast?

Lastly, are there any other ways of traveling great speeds that don't use hyperspace? And no, the stargate doesn't count. The reason I ask this is, in Star Trek they had: Warp Drive, Transwarp drive/conduits, and Slipstream drive. Could there be an alternate means of reaching faster than light travel in the Stargate universe? And why haven't us humans invented something new? Or atleast improved an existing technology?
    Wraith, the OTHER white meat.
    Loyalty above all else, except Honor.

from my understanding when you open a hyperspace window you make a hole and enter it at the same speed you left regular space in. If i remember corectly when you travel through hyperspace your ship is being pushed through hyperspace with sublight engines, so your not going faster than light relative to some stationary thing in hyperspace, but many times the speed of light relative to a planet in regular space. If my source is right (I'm taking this one step further than the article i read) you could activate a hyperspace window, and then activate a warp drive and travel through hyperspace at an increadibly fast rate.

I'm sure you understand how hyperspace travel works, but i'll re explain it. Picture the universe on a 2D scale the point you are at is point A, where you want to go is point B. when you activate the hyperspace window generator gravity increase (i think) at both points and they come closer together. Then i assume that bright flash of light and the tunnel is made when they "punch" a hole through. I can only guess that the gould hyperdrives can only bend space by a small amount so there is more space to travel through in between, asgard hyperdrives probably can bend space a lot more making the two sides come closer than when a gould so the travel time is left. Its safe to assume that the ammount of power you put into the hyperspace window generator controls how close the two sides become.

I hope that helps, and more over i hope my source is right
    Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Good explanation. The hyperspace window is very similar to how a wormhole works. The two seem very similar, if not the same thing with two different names. I know that our own sun causes a "bend" in time/space in real life. Even earth does, just a LOT less. Which makes sense when you consider the whole e=mc2 thing. What I still don't get is, does a smaller ship require less to open that window? To use your analogy:

A big ship has to "punch" a hole through to subspace. But wouldn't a smaller ship require a smaller hole? The distance may be the same, but wouldn't the energy required to get into subspace be smaller because you need a smaller hole? Is that something we really know though? It's like poking a hole in a inflated baloon. You can make a hole with a baseball bat if you hit it hard enough, but a pin works better because all the pressure is focused to a small point. And smaller ships tend to be faster at sublight speeds, so could it travel faster while in subspace?

I wish they'd go into more detail with the technology stuff. They need to explain how things work a little more. It wouldn't hurt to show more of the research & developement process of the technologies either. There is plenty of real life things to base this stuff on, not to mention some of the "crazier" theories. And Stargate needs an encyclopedia like Trek has. I'd certainly slap down $20-$30 for that. And where are the model kits too? LOL!!! I want my Stargate merchandise!!!! Waaaaaaah! LOL!!

Ok, I have to stop now, my head feels like it's gonna explode. Someone must be trying to create a hyperspace window in it.

Comment

like the daedalus it takes 3 weeks to get to atlantis but with the zpm on board it takes 4 days so really put enough power to the yada yada yada and then ur one fast ship
        sigpic

Comment

The way i understand hyperspace is that the hyperspace generator creates a magnetic field around the vessel. This field allows the ship to slip through, from normal space, to subspace. In subspace the speed of light is faster than it is in normal space so even with the ships sublight engines pushing it, it travels faster than the speed of light in normal space but not in subspace. Once the magnetic field is disengaged the ship drops out of hyperspace (subspace) nd into normal space.

If this is correct, the power needed to create the magnetic field would be proportional to the size of the ship wanting to enter hyperspace. The bigger the ship, the larger the field would need to be and thus, the more power that is required.

I dont know if this is the same theory used in Stargate but the US military are planning to run tests on this theory in about 5 years (for real). It could theoretically take a ship 3 hours to reach mars or 80 days to reach the nearest star.
          sigpic
          By *E*K*R*

Comment

Yep I herd about the theories of electro magnetic feilds can push things into hyperspace.

I think that your theory are bascially sound in the stargate world, they have actually never explained what they use to creat or open a hyper space window. I also think subspace is slightly different in the stargate world than the real world, in that in stargate their seem to be different layers of subspace.

Comment

Originally posted by Freekzilla View Post
              Lastly, are there any other ways of traveling great speeds that don't use hyperspace? And no, the stargate doesn't count. The reason I ask this is, in Star Trek they had: Warp Drive, Transwarp drive/conduits, and Slipstream drive. Could there be an alternate means of reaching faster than light travel in the Stargate universe? And why haven't us humans invented something new? Or atleast improved an existing technology?
              In the Stargate universe, if they travel at light speeds they would not be able to go anywhere around the MW. It would take them decades to travel to a planet like Abydos at light speed. The closest thing in Star Trek to hyperspace travel, from my understanding, is transwarp drive or slipstream drive. Remember everything that happens in Star Trek happens all with in the MW. In Stargate, 75,000 light years is a few days or weeks of travel in hyperspace, but in Star Trek it is about 75 years at warp 9.9.
              Hyperspace is just a faster way of traveling in the Stargate universe, and gives a better explanation of how the Goa'uld and Asgard travel from planet to planet.

: Green is Good.
              sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Do you that Warp Drives also damage the fabric of space and time?
                Calvin grows up to be Frazz. The logical continuation of this is, of course, that Frazz then grows up to be Edward Norton's character from Fight Club. And thus, all four of these characters are gods.Let's go one more step. Calvin grows up to be Jeremy, who grows up to be Frazz, who grows up to be "Tyler Durden," while Suzie grows up to be Haruhi Suzumiya; since Kyon becomes The Doctor, this leads to the inescapable conclusion that after the end of Fight Club, Calvin becomes Captain Jack.

Comment

I was wondering if the size of a ship affected the size of a hyperspace window?
                  The size of the hyperspace window generated, is determined by both the size of the ship and the amount of power being used to generate it. Obviously, the hyperspace window must be at LEAST large enough to allow the ship passage. However, it is possible that a larger window could be generated to allow larger ships or objects being towed into the window as well. However, generating a larger window requires more power. We saw an example of this when SG-1 used a Goa'uld Cargo ship's hyperdrive to prevent an asteroid from crashing into the Earth. They had to increase the size of the hyperspace window generated, and this meant that the cargo ship could not maintain hyperspace travel for more than a few seconds, because the asteroid was far larger than the cargo ship.

Or, does the amount of power you supply to the hyperspace window depend on ship size?
                  yes.

We know that more power means you go faster in hyperspace, but if you had a smaller ship with the same amount of power, would it go faster?
                  A little bit. Keep in mind that the hyperdrive doesn't JUST generate a hyperspace window, it ALSO sustains the hyperspace corridor in which the ship is travelling. Obviously, the more power available the faster your ship can go, but there ARE other factors which can allow a ship to travel faster besides just power. It isn't only the amount of power you can generate, but also how you use it. I don't just mean efficiency of power consumption either, but rather in technique of field manipulation.

Also, if you had the power supply to do so, could you create a hyperspace window while in hyperspace?
                  No. That is impossible. Hyperspace itself is only a facet of subspace. It is called 'hyperspace' because it allows you to cover distances at hyperluminal time frames. The hyperspace corridor is actually a tunnel being 'dug' through subspace by a constant and highly focused field of gravitational energy. This is, in fact, the same energy field that generated the hyperspace window to begin with. As soon as that field is shut off, the ship will revert back to 'real' space. According to Heim theory, this field is produced by a spinning ring that is placed over a very powerful electromagnetic coil, which in turns converts electrons into particles known as Gravito-photons, which serve as intermediary particles between the transition of electromagnetic and gravitational energy. The focused field that punches a temporary hole in the fabric of space-time (also called a hyperspace window) can also be unfocused and spread wide to create a subspace bubble around a ship, similiar to a warp drive's bubble. The difference being that this bubble is not propulsive in nature, but it does remove the ship slightly from the normal fabric of space. It allowed Carter to escape an unusual cloud in the episode "Grace".

So, what exactly is the difference between Goa'uld, Asgard and Ancient hyperdrive engines? I know the Goa'uld ones are not as efficient, but if they were, would they be as fast?
                  The differences are certainly in efficiency but also in the use of the power as I explained earlier. For one thing, Goa'uld ships don't generate as much power as Asgard ships, but they also aren't as advanced in how they use their available energy. McKay explained that there are two different types of hyperdrives, but never explained the full differences between the two. We can surmise from what we do know that the difference isn't just in the amount of energy needed, but primarily in how its used.

Lastly, are there any other ways of traveling great speeds that don't use hyperspace? And no, the stargate doesn't count.
                  For one thing, stargates DO use subspace to work. It is there that the wormhole exists. Hyperdrives and Stargates use some of the same principles of science to function.

The reason I ask this is, in Star Trek they had: Warp Drive, Transwarp drive/conduits, and Slipstream drive. Could there be an alternate means of reaching faster than light travel in the Stargate universe? And why haven't us humans invented something new? Or atleast improved an existing technology?
                  All of the methods you've mentioned all use subspace. The differences between them is how they manipulate it, rather than that they are using something else. The fastest theoretical way to travel is folding space. It is not understood exactly how it would work, but it would allow ships to simply disappear from one place and reappear someplace else, potentially a universe away. That method of space travel is used in 'Dune'. I wouldn't be suprised if Space Folding used subspace too.

As to Earth making better hyperdrives... they're still trying to understand the ones that the Asgard have given us. The Asgard have advanced human space-flight by several thousands (and possibly much more) of years. I doubt Earth will make a better version anytime soon. What Earth MIGHT do that would improve their hyperspace travel capability is build better power generators. More available power would help them to drive the ship faster.
                  The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                  Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=26498

Feel free to pass the green..!

My Website... http://return-of-the-constitution.webs.com
                  My Blog @ http://myhatsize.blogspot.com
                  Amazing Literary Works of Fel... http://sennadar.com/wp/

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

That's just according to Star Trek that warp drives damage space time. If that were true then wouldn't punching through to subspace damage space time as well?

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

Originally posted by Ravroz View Post
                      That's just according to Star Trek that warp drives damage space time. If that were true then wouldn't punching through to subspace damage space time as well?
                      So true. It was a point I noticed, but I was too busy explaining the larger issues at hand. But yeah, even if it does do any damage, there is good reason to suspect that the tears in the fabric of space-time would simply heal itself given enough time.
                      The success or failure of your deeds, does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed! Judge yourself by the intentions of your actions, and by the strength with which you faced the challenges that have stood in your way. The Universe is so vast, and we are so small, there is only truly one thing we can control; whether we are good or evil... -Oma Desala
                      Spoiler:

To all the 'Sci & Tech' forum users: If you are searching for a thread about your topic of interest, please come visit our Concordance Thread. If you have any questions, we will attempt to help you.

Also, visit my webpage at... http://www.stargatesg1.com/Seastallion Sadly, this page is gone with the website that supported it, but I'll keep the link up in memorial.

Comment

given enough time. I am guesting as long as the dameage is localise and that they do not continue to the exact same point repeatedly then it will self heal.

In star trek the problem only really cause problem because large number of ships was using a very narro corridor.

Comment

Wow. Those are some good explanations. I had forgotten about SG-1 saving earth from the asteroid episode. One of you, who shall remain nameless because you know who you are, must have actually did a bunch of research on the subject given your post. I had to green you for that. Not many people put that kind of effort into a post. Good job!!

So, faster than light travel, hyperspace, is really dependant on several factors that have to come together within a certain range to work. The more accurately those factors come together, the more efficient the hyperdrive and thus the faster you go; up to a limit.

So since we have Asgard designed hyperdrives, which are extremely efficient apparently, we should be concentrating on power generation and sublight propulsion, right?

Comment

this is how i always put it

1 meter in subspace is like 100meters in real space

travel 10 m/s in subspace in Real space u going 1000m/s

i remember some1 in gateforums said that
                            DAM YOU SCI FI.....DAM U TO SCI HELL arghhhh.....

Comment

Wow. Those are some good explanations. I had forgotten about SG-1 saving earth from the asteroid episode. One of you, who shall remain nameless because you know who you are, must have actually did a bunch of research on the subject given your post. I had to green you for that. Not many people put that kind of effort into a post. Good job!!

So, faster than light travel, hyperspace, is really dependant on several factors that have to come together within a certain range to work. The more accurately those factors come together, the more efficient the hyperdrive and thus the faster you go; up to a limit.

So since we have Asgard designed hyperdrives, which are extremely efficient apparently, we should be concentrating on power generation and sublight propulsion, right?

Essentially, yes. Earth is very unlikely to develop better hyperdrives than it curretnly possesses for a VERY long time. This will allow Earth to focus on all the other technological developments they need to make. If they want to go faster still, they need to concentrate on better power generation. Sublight engines are all ready pretty good, but they might want to improve the efficiency of power consumption, or other possible factors.
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X