This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

subspace: wormholes and hyperspace...

OK, being that those two things use subspace for travel, what would happen if a ship in hyperspace conflicts with a wormhole?? Would there be a catastrophe?

Originally posted by TheLastAncient View Post
    OK, being that those two things use subspace for travel, what would happen if a ship in hyperspace conflicts with a wormhole?? Would there be a catastrophe?
    This should probably be in science and tech. And no they're not the same, so no.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastAncient View Post
      Only Carter or McKay would have the answer and then only in theory as I'm sure no one wants to put this to a test.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Hyperspace and subspace are two different things.
        www.AlexReekie.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lex Reekie View Post
          Hyperspace and subspace are two different things.
          I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. In 'McKay and Mrs Miller', Jeannie asks if subspace is real and Carter replies 'You're flying in it.'

Comment

Originally posted by Pyrus View Post
            I'm pretty sure they're the same thing. In 'McKay and Mrs Miller', Jeannie asks if subspace is real and Carter replies 'You're flying in it.'
            Maybe so, but if wormholes work the way I've been led to believe they do, then wormholes have no actual length once established, and therefore can't be intercepted by ships.
            All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

They'd be sent to Neverland....or 1969.....which is more or less Neverland.
              I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
              Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

Wormholes excist in subspace. And ships travel in subspace they are both the same thing. Now here comes complicated bit. Wormholes excist in a different level of subspace and hyperspace on a other level. Their are probably many different levels of subspace that excist, you can travel faster on some than others.

so let me put it this way subspace excist on different level.

Level 0 is where worm excist.
                level 1 - 5 is where we travel in hyperspace.

Unless a wormhole drops out of level o and intersect a level 1 or any other level then they could be theoratically the ship would encouter the worm hole.

What would happen if that happen. Well matter cannot survive the g forces a wormhole would empose on the matter and so it would be torn tiny into little tiny little particals never to be seen again, and that why you are disasemble before you sent through a wormhole useing the stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                  Wormholes excist in subspace. And ships travel in subspace they are both the same thing. Now here comes complicated bit. Wormholes excist in a different level of subspace and hyperspace on a other level. Their are probably many different levels of subspace that excist, you can travel faster on some than others.

so let me put it this way subspace excist on different level.

Level 0 is where worm excist.
                  level 1 - 5 is where we travel in hyperspace.

Unless a wormhole drops out of level o and intersect a level 1 or any other level then they could be theoratically the ship would encouter the worm hole.

What would happen if that happen. Well matter cannot survive the g forces a wormhole would empose on the matter and so it would be torn tiny into little tiny little particals never to be seen again, and that why you are disasemble before you sent through a wormhole useing the stargate.
                  Where are you getting this from? Its not real physics (as "subspace" and "hyperspace" don't exist in the real world the same way they do in science fiction) and its not from the show.

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478 View Post
                    Where are you getting this from? Its not real physics (as "subspace" and "hyperspace" don't exist in the real world the same way they do in science fiction) and its not from the show.
                    ACtually all the things in science fiction are derived from ongoing theories in the real world. As a matter of fact there was just a thread about a real hyperspace test...

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18925331.200

so there!
                    www.theamericanright.com

A website by the people, for the people.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo-DR View Post
                      ACtually all the things in science fiction are derived from ongoing theories in the real world. As a matter of fact there was just a thread about a real hyperspace test...

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...mg18925331.200

so there!
                      From that article:

"There's just one catch: the idea relies on an obscure and largely unrecognised kind of physics."

I'm not saying hyperspace doesn't exist in the manner it exists in science fiction, its just not accepted by a lot of people that know a lot more about the topic than you or I. That makes me a bit hesitant to accept it.

Comment

From the physic books I have read, a wormhole is a fold in space, that allows quicker passage from point a to point b. They do not go through subspace or hyperspace.

Wikipedia definition of wormholes.

Hyperspace travel would not interfere with an active wormhole. If I am wrong about the wormhole please let me know.

: Green is Good.
                        sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cobraR478 View Post
                          It is from the show from what I get of anyway, it explains several things and also other posters have agree with me in the past. The fact in show it been pointed out on at lease one or possible more occasions that hyperspace and subspace are one and the same on the show. Or other wise it just the writers not keeping track of their explanations of certain things in the past they have said.

In real phisics their are lot of theories and ideas about hyperspace and subspce all are incomplete and none are proven, what could infact correct but our limited understanding I doubt any be able to prove me one hundred percent I am wronge, but I cannot prove I am one hundred percent right and infact I might be explain it the wrong way but I am pretty basically right in the stargate world.

now I am pobably asking trouble!

Comment

Originally posted by Cap116 View Post
                            From the physic books I have read, a wormhole is a fold in space, that allows quicker passage from point a to point b. They do not go through subspace or hyperspace.

Wikipedia definition of wormholes.

Hyperspace travel would not interfere with an active wormhole. If I am wrong about the wormhole please let me know.
                            Well in the real world you are right they are folds space, but in stargate wormholes do the exact same thing but they excist in a subspace layer. Whether this excist in the same layer as we use for hyperspace travel, is not fully known.

Comment

I can't address 'real life' hyperspace, but on the show it's practically certain that there are different layers to 'subspace' (the whole thing obviously been outside of normal sapce-time).

In Fail Safe, SG-1 takes a ship (and asteroid) into hyperspace and travel right through the 'space' where Earth would be without either the planet or them been affected.

Whereas in Red Sky and the time bending wormholes in 1969 and 2010, when the wormhole gets close to or travels straight through a star, it has a dramatic effect on the wormhole and its travellers.

Although, given the large number of stars in the galaxy there must be very few (if any) straight line paths to a gate on the other side of the galaxy, so it's possible that the wormhole can only be affected near the beginning and end of the route, perhaps as the wormhole starts to leave 'deep' subspace and gets closer to 'realspace' (and vice versa).

Also, faster-than-light communication in the SG verse is referred to as using subspace.

Comment

Working...
                              X