This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Affinity Change Your Opinion of Pete? [S. 8/Affinity Spoilers]

Due to late night boredom, I feel like poking the hornets' nest =)

I'm not enthused with the Sam's Life story arc in general (I just like this stuff better when it's incidental or mostly off screen), but I appreciate that TPTB have set out to make Pete a brighter than average guy, because I think Sam would need more than a sense of humor to consider a serious relationship with a man.

In Affinity, he helps out with his detective know how. If you were of the an-astrophysicist-with-a-cop-no-way camp, did this change your opinion of his worthiness? Or did Sam just look dumb because she had to ask things like, Pizza? hunh? (I know I caught on before she did, but maybe I've watched too many episodes of Monk).

Anyway, discuss if you wish... *poke, poke*
    Fitness Buddies

Originally posted by Sicarius
    Due to late night boredom, I feel like poking the hornets' nest =)

I'm not enthused with the Sam's Life story arc in general (I just like this stuff better when it's incidental or mostly off screen), but I appreciate that TPTB have set out to make Pete a brighter than average guy, because I think Sam would need more than a sense of humor to consider a serious relationship with a man.

In Affinity, he helps out with his detective know how. If you were of the an-astrophysicist-with-a-cop-no-way camp, did this change your opinion of his worthiness? Or did Sam just look dumb because she had to ask things like, Pizza? hunh? (I know I caught on before she did, but maybe I've watched too many episodes of Monk).

Anyway, discuss if you wish... *poke, poke*
    I don't mind Pete and in all honesty I don't think he's that bad looking either. OK so he's nothing compared to Jack, Daniel or Teal'c but still he's ok... He has an ok sense of humor and he makes Sam laugh - which can only be a good thing.

I kind of feel sorry for Pete. I think eventually he will get dumped by Sam once she realises that she has been using him to 'get a life' following on from her converstaions with Jacob and Jack in Grace.

Spoiler:

Gateworld has reported that during the episode Threads she has a talk with Jack about her feelings for him only to be interrupted by Jack's new girlfriend [shudders at the thought] and she also having doubts abut marrying Pete.

I think if DL was introduced as any other character then SG fans would be saying how great and funny he is. It's just a shame he's been given the role of Sam's love interest.
    Sam....

Comment

Originally posted by samjack4ever
      I kind of feel sorry for Pete. I think eventually he will get dumped by Sam
      I agree... just a matter of time...

Comment

Due to late night boredom, I feel like poking the hornets' nest

*bzzbzbzbzbzbzbzbzbbzzzbbbzbzzzzzbbzzzzzbzzzzbzzzzbzzzzzbzzbzzbzbzbbzzz!!!!!*

If anything it reconfrms my thoughts that he is not right for her. He was useful, but it's just a matter of time before he gets in too far over his head and will have to fall on his sword for Sam.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by samjack4ever
          I kind of feel sorry for Pete. I think eventually he will get dumped by Sam
          Or even better, her Black Widow curse reassurts itself with a vengance as Pete falls into an industrial sized blender....
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
            Or even better, her Black Widow curse reassurts itself with a vengance as Pete falls into an industrial sized blender....
            lmao, YES BLACK WIDOW CURSE ON PETE!

Comment

I've given my opinion on this one over in the Affinity episode thread. But generally speaking - I thought the thread in this one of trying to show that Pete is a brilliant cop was very poorly handled. The clues were so obvious a child of three could have figured them out and the cop originally handling the case, who spotted none of them, should have been pensioned off as incompetent for missing them.

It did strike me while watching that Sam really should have spotted the fact that the corpse was lying there like a department store dummy with perfectly straight legs and arms straight at its sides - I mean, come on. It looked patently ridiculous. And Pete's 'Well...duh!' moment, when he pointed out the glaringly obvious - that if you want to surveil an apartment the best place to do it from is the apartment directly opposite - provided me with one of the episode's unintentionally hilarious moments, which had me ROTFLing.

So I was just left wondering why on earth she'd felt the need to bring in Pete to tell her what a blind man could have seen without him needing to point it up.

A little more forethought from the writers, providing Pete with some more challenging clues, would have been helpful. As it was, it was just too silly for words that no one came to the same conclusions he did long before he did.

On the relationship generally - I'm still not seeing any great emotion, sparkage, passion, whatever when Sam and Pete are on screen. I simply get the impression that Sam is settling for something safe and comfortable rather than being caught up in the whirlwind excitement of finding her soul mate. She never seems genuinely enthused whenever anyone asks her how things are going with Pete; most anyone gets is a bland shrug and 'Fine'. It took her two weeks to decide whether marrying him was a good thing - which hardly speaks to someone deeply, madly, desperately in love. It speaks more of someone who feels that true romance doesn't happen in RL, only in the movies, and that most of us have to settle for something a lot less exciting and wonderful than that. (A feeling bolstered for me by her rant in Affinity on that one). Even her acceptance of the proposal seemed to me to be done on the spur of the moment, the sort of thing that has you waking at three am the following night wondering what the heck you just did. <g> But perhaps that's deliberate on the part of TPTB and will be partly why Sam dumps Pete eventually. This viewer can but hope.

Basically, for me, the Pete and Sam relationship is beige. Bland. And I can't help feeling while watching her interact with him, or talk about him, that Sam feels the same way too.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

He's more of a stalker now, then ever.

Also, he asks to many questions. "So hows that saving the universe thing going?"

Does he not think, that he could be shot? Cause I'll get some snipers on him right now!

But for now, he is cool. I guess the character of Carter needs someone. And they got....the dude from the Purina commercials. So its fine, as long as it does not involve him jumping into any bullets! Cause that would totally be cliche(SP?)!

Like I've said before, in many a post, I'm not a shipper, and I'm not a 'lets have a lubby dubby relationship episode every other week'.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                  Also, he asks to many questions. "So hows that saving the universe thing going?"
                  And in the middle of a park! Ugh, I'm surpirsed Sam didn't pull a zat out of her pocket and finish him off right then and there.
                  sigpic

Comment

My opinion of Pete was strengthened by Affinity. I have always had a good opinion of the character and Sam's and Pete's situation, flaws and all.
                    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

My opinion of Pete now is the same it's always been, but Affinity reinforced it.

I think he's wonderful for Sam. I think she positively glows when they're together. I've seen her smile more - real, genuine smiles of happiness - in the scenes they've shared in two episodes than I saw her smile in the other 21 episodes of Season Seven all put together. I see a real chemistry between them, a true sparkage, and I've seen it since the first scene they shared at the coffee shop in Chimera.

Yes, he had a few lapses of judgement in the park, but not nearly as bad as some that Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c themselves have had in the past.

And the look on Sam's face, and the kiss that she initiated, when he told her he was moving from Denver to Colorado Springs - that pure, unadulterated happiness in her eyes, the way her face lit up - more than made up for one passing comment that he most probably shouldn't have made.

That he would wait two weeks for her answer, without putting any pressure on her, completely willing to let her take her time and work through things on her own, I think only shows that he is truly dedicated to her happiness above his own. A lesser man would have either demanded an answer right that second, or would have called her every ten minutes to ask if she was done thinking yet. That he didn't do that is a testament to his character, his faith in her, and his faith in *them*.

He's smart, and sweet, and funny, and charming. He's unassuming and dedicated. And above all, best of all to me, he is honest and straight-forward with his feelings for her, and is completely and totally devoted to her.

I've always thought that Sam deserves a man who will treat her like a goddess, and I think it's fabulous that she's finally got one.

And of course, the fact that he's DeLuise-licious doesn't hurt him at all.
                      ~bri~

Comment

Originally posted by brihana25
                        I think he's wonderful for Sam. I think she positively glows when they're together. I've seen her smile more - real, genuine smiles of happiness - in the scenes they've shared in two episodes than I saw her smile in the other 21 episodes of Season Seven all put together. I see a real chemistry between them, a true sparkage, and I've seen it since the first scene they shared at the coffee shop in Chimera.

I have to agree with you on some points. Yes Sam has been smiling a lot more and genuine smiles too that light up her whole face. And yes there is some chemistry there but I wouldn't describe it as true sparkage
                        Yes, he had a few lapses of judgement in the park, but not nearly as bad as some that Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c themselves have had in the past.

It's the old TV senario... If there is something private you want to talk about then no matter where you are no one will hear you.
                        And the look on Sam's face, and the kiss that she initiated, when he told her he was moving from Denver to Colorado Springs - that pure, unadulterated happiness in her eyes, the way her face lit up - more than made up for one passing comment that he most probably shouldn't have made.

This is a bit off a puzzler for me. If she is soooo happy that Pete is moving to Colorado Springs then what was that scene all about with her, Daniel and Teal'c. You'd expect that type of scene if she'd had an argument with the guy not proposed to...
                        That he would wait two weeks for her answer, without putting any pressure on her, completely willing to let her take her time and work through things on her own, I think only shows that he is truly dedicated to her happiness above his own. A lesser man would have either demanded an answer right that second, or would have called her every ten minutes to ask if she was done thinking yet. That he didn't do that is a testament to his character, his faith in her, and his faith in *them*.

He was too busy sorting out the move to Colorado Springs... You know finding a new place to live, buy furniture that type of stuff... That he totally forgot that two weeks had gone by
                        He's smart, and sweet, and funny, and charming. He's unassuming and dedicated. And above all, best of all to me, he is honest and straight-forward with his feelings for her, and is completely and totally devoted to her.

I've always thought that Sam deserves a man who will treat her like a goddess, and I think it's fabulous that she's finally got one.

And of course, the fact that he's DeLuise-licious doesn't hurt him at all.

I agree it is about time Sam was treat like the woman she is by a man who is crazy about her.

BTW has Pete actually said that he loves her yet?
                        Sam....

Comment

"Trust" me......he is always in our sights.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I think of Pete the same way as I did before...as some random dude.

Comment

Not fundamentally. I didn't have powerful anti-Pete feelings to start with, though I did think his behavior in Chimera was way out of line. He seems like a well meaning guy, but he doesn't strike me as someone who could deal with the inherent secrecy of what Sam does. Not just the talk in the park, but the fact that he went following around an air force major after he was told she was probably into something really important.

Mainly my problem with that relationship doesn't rest with Pete (or PDL). It's the way that Sam has been written in that arc. Not only does she seem desperate, teen'ish, but incompetent. That's one thing i can't forgive TPTB for making her. From the moment she first appeared in the pilot the defining element of Sam's character was competence.

Comment

Working...
                              X