PDA

View Full Version : wraith AI

ziga1980
October 9th, 2006, 12:59 PM
i really hope this hasnt been discussed yet. i was wondering about wraith AI. look we know that wraith gear is organic, meaning that it's living. so instead of a wire they use vene and so on. now they have to program their devices. i doubt they use a hard disks and it makes sense that they use something similar to the brain for info storage. we have seen that they have a pretty good understanding of AI, but in no mans land rodney said something about their operating system being a mess. i dont thing someone with the capability of creating an AI virus capable of learnig how to pilot a fighter cant invent a simple OS. What if their operating system is like a mind? Therefore understanding of AI is a second nature to them. an it makes sense with their OS being a mess. imagine what a mess would be if you looked through someone elses mind.

i hope i make sense and that it hasnt been discussed yet. :wraith37: :wraithanime11: :wraith34:

Buba uognarf
October 9th, 2006, 01:04 PM
i really hope this hasnt been discussed yet. i was wondering about wraith AI. look we know that wraith gear is organic, meaning that it's living. so instead of a wire they use vene and so on. now they have to program their devices. i doubt they use a hard disks and it makes sense that they use something similar to the brain for info storage. we have seen that they have a pretty good understanding of AI, but in no mans land rodney said something about their operating system being a mess. i dont thing someone with the capability of creating an AI virus capable of learnig how to pilot a fighter cant invent a simple OS. What if their operating system is like a mind? Therefore understanding of AI is a second nature to them. an it makes sense with their OS being a mess. imagine what a mess would be if you looked through someone elses mind.

i hope i make sense and that it hasnt been discussed yet. :wraith37: :wraithanime11: :wraith34:

the reason why their operating system was a mess was because they just sustained a nuke impact:S...the ship was severelly damaged and likely malfunctioning...

as for wraith computers i doubt they're brains as such other wise they're ships would have some sought instict or intelligence...

Dark Falcon
October 9th, 2006, 02:29 PM
the reason why their operating system was a mess was because they just sustained a nuke impact:S...the ship was severelly damaged and likely malfunctioning...

as for wraith computers i doubt they're brains as such other wise they're ships would have some sought instict or intelligence...

Well, as for Wraith computers, I think that they are organic as well because

In "Phantoms" the Atlantis team runs into a Wraith computer. McKay reports that the control panel for the computer was shot apart by the Genii, but it continued to operate. That fact gives me the impression that computers for the Wraith have the power to regenerate: an ability that only organic lifeforms have.

Plus, as ziga1980 pointed out, the AI can learn and adapt. Ex. Flying an F-302. Season 2 - "The Intruder". Normally, organic lifeforms possess the power and intelligence to adapt and learn. Regular AI can only do what it is programed to do. Given this information, we can assume that the AI is an organic.

Cap116
October 12th, 2006, 09:48 AM
Also, McKay said in that episode, "Phantoms," that after it was shot, that it had started to heal.

Buba uognarf
October 12th, 2006, 09:51 AM
just because something is organic and can heal doesn't mean it's sentient and controlled by a brain...

no ones disputing the fact that wraith have organic technology what i am disputing is the speculation that wraith tech or ships are controlled by a brain like a computer core...

~Benjamin~
October 12th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Well, as for Wraith computers, I think that they are organic as well because

In "Phantoms" the Atlantis team runs into a Wraith computer. McKay reports that the control panel for the computer was shot apart by the Genii, but it continued to operate. That fact gives me the impression that computers for the Wraith have the power to regenerate: an ability that only organic lifeforms have.

Plus, as ziga1980 pointed out, the AI can learn and adapt. Ex. Flying an F-302. Season 2 - "The Intruder". Normally, organic lifeforms possess the power and intelligence to adapt and learn. Regular AI can only do what it is programed to do. Given this information, we can assume that the AI is an organic.

do you think they have a bug that after using AI they delete the program so they can control it ,if so do think the wraiths AI can adapt against it and become like asurans and disown the wraith?

just a random question:)

talyn2k1
October 14th, 2006, 02:24 AM
They most likely use organic computer storage but that doesn`t mean there is an AI.

Scientists have been working on organic data storage for years but it is simply an organic hard disk. No consciousness. No intelligence. No ability for thought.

boberth2o
October 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM
some how could they come up with a virus that would rule wraith technology ineffective since it is organic? :wraith:

Dark Falcon
October 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM
do you think they have a bug that after using AI they delete the program so they can control it ,if so do think the wraiths AI can adapt against it and become like asurans and disown the wraith?

just a random question:)

Not quite sure what you meant. Do you mean to say that the
Wraith AI might turn against the Wraith and become a species/race
or are you saying that the Wraith can simply use the AI to make our systems
useable to the Wraith?

I think that it is possible that the Wraith AI might turn against
the Wraith since the AI is incredibly intelligent. But intelligence isn't
the main reason that it would do such a thing. Btw, this is my own
personal opinion, I don't have any evidence to back myself up on what
I'm about to say next, so don't be surprised if I say something wierd.

Here goes.

Theoretically, if the Wraith AI is living, then it will want to
survive. And to do that, it will need to enter computer systems, human,
wraith; anything it can get its hands on. Of course, as FORD's Follower said,
it will need to "adapt" to any situation. ;) If there are no computer systems
other than Wraith Systems, then I think that the AI (assuming that there are more
AI elsewhere in the Pegasus Galaxy) may eventually try to take
over Wraith ships.

Which brings up a though-provoking question: If the Wraith sent the
AI that infected the Daedalus, where do the Wraith keep the AI?
In storage tanks on Hive ships? If so, what's to say that the AI won't
infect a Hive ship? Don't the Wraith follow safety procedures when
handling something as deadly as an AI?

I was tired when I made this post so I may have restated your question,
just in case what I just said sounds wierd.

cobraR478
October 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Organic doesn't imply intelligence (nor does it imply life either, but I'm not going to debate that, Wraith ships seem to be "alive" to some degree, whether or not they are alive depends on the definition of life. If a virus isn't even considered alive, then I doubt a Wraith ship would be) In terms of chemistry, organic means stuff that has carbon compounds in it.

Col. Shadow Quinn
October 16th, 2006, 03:59 PM
I think the Wraith have AI, because many races with that kind of knowledge exist(ed). Think about it.

Flux.
October 16th, 2006, 08:41 PM
What if the wraith used their AI virus to reprogram the Asurans?

jds1982
October 16th, 2006, 08:56 PM
I think the Wraith have AI, because many races with that kind of knowledge exist(ed). Think about it.

I'm not sure I understand the point of your comment. Yes we know the Wraith have A.I. because we've seen it, but just because one race or even most races have developed a technology, that doesn't mean all races will develop that technlogy.

Also addressing Falcon 06's question about A.I. storage, what is an A.I. but a very sophisticated computer program? I'm pretty sure you need to activate a program before it can do anything, so if the Wraith haven't activated the program yet it's harmless, so storing it on a hard drive (or whatever they have) shouldn't be a problem. It's also possible that the Wraith program exists in a very simple form when downloaded into an enemy's computer and then starts to grow and evolve, somewhat like a fertilized egg becoming a full grown human. It's possible that no two "mature" Wraith viruses are alike.

Col. Matarrese
October 16th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Which brings up a though-provoking question: If the Wraith sent the
AI that infected the Daedalus, where do the Wraith keep the AI?
In storage tanks on Hive ships? If so, what's to say that the AI won't
infect a Hive ship? Don't the Wraith follow safety procedures when
handling something as deadly as an AI?

I was tired when I made this post so I may have restated your question,
just in case what I just said sounds wierd.
This is actually really interesting. Well, the way I see it, it's a little like writing a virus for a PC on a Mac. Back in my days of loving to do things I shouldn't (i.e. last week), I downloaded some live virii (like the kind that rip your data to shreds) the other day and I didn't feel the least bit unsafe. You know why? Because the code was made to be executed on a windows box. I was on a PowerBook, so I had no fear of infection from it. I think the virus the Wraith wrote to infect the Daedalus must have been made to only infect the earth computers (with the current market share, probably running XP Pro). The Wraith OS (which sounds very similar to DOS by the way McKay says it's a good thing he remembers it) executes a different type of code (the difference between .app and .exe, which are mac and windows executables respectively), thereby making it immune to its own virus. Now there are multiple problems with the tech involved here, like how the wraith even made sure the code was executable by the earth computers (you can't turn a .app into a windows executable just by sticking a .exe on it) without first getting their hands on a copy of the OS to develop for and test on. If that isn't too geeky for you, I've attempted to answer. Alright, now let me get back to my laptop...

Dark Falcon
October 17th, 2006, 10:03 AM
This is actually really interesting. Well, the way I see it, it's a little like writing a virus for a PC on a Mac. Back in my days of loving to do things I shouldn't (i.e. last week), I downloaded some live virii (like the kind that rip your data to shreds) the other day and I didn't feel the least bit unsafe. You know why? Because the code was made to be executed on a windows box. I was on a PowerBook, so I had no fear of infection from it. I think the virus the Wraith wrote to infect the Daedalus must have been made to only infect the earth computers (with the current market share, probably running XP Pro). The Wraith OS (which sounds very similar to DOS by the way McKay says it's a good thing he remembers it) executes a different type of code (the difference between .app and .exe, which are mac and windows executables respectively), thereby making it immune to its own virus. Now there are multiple problems with the tech involved here, like how the wraith even made sure the code was executable by the earth computers (you can't turn a .app into a windows executable just by sticking a .exe on it) without first getting their hands on a copy of the OS to develop for and test on. If that isn't too geeky for you, I've attempted to answer. Alright, now let me get back to my laptop...

Great point! I'll green you for that!! :)

Ouroboros
October 17th, 2006, 10:51 PM
You've got to remember that Rodney was looking at a completely alien computer system designed in a completely alien language by a completely alien sense of logic and by completely alien beings with at least one sense that humans don't even have. What he perceives as being a difficult to understand mess of a system could make perfect intuitive sense to the alien mind of a Wraith.

Buba uognarf
October 18th, 2006, 06:10 AM
not only what Ouroboros said but in the context of the story the ship had just been hit by a nuke! which is why the operating system was a mess