X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG1/SGA - Attn: Australians: Foxtel launches sci-fi channel

From the Sunday Times (Perth,WA,Australia):

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005368,00.html

(Please follow the link for the complete article.)

Foxtel launches sci-fi channel
    October 09, 2006 09:35am

SCIENCE fiction fans are in for a treat with the launch on December 1 of a 24-hour a day channel dedicated to sci-fi television programs like Star Trek.

Sci Fi will broadcast popular series including hit new series such as Medium and The 4400, plus all of the Star Trek franchise television series (original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise), Stargate, Stargate SG -1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.

The channel will be available to Foxtel Digital subscribers taking the “Laughter & Living” and “My Escape” package tiers, but also as an a-la-carte channel.

**major snippage**

Sci Fi will be available to Foxtel Digital subscribers from Friday, December 1 on Channel 132.

(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

Yeah I saw on another forum "Australian" that they were advertising for people to work at the new channel. This is only good news if you think PayTV in Australia is actually worth the money and I don't. They would need to offer a lot more then SGA for me to subscribe to Foxtel/Austar. Although I have a brother with it.

Um, just on SG-1 in Australia; I noticed in my local guide they are not showing it this week.... anyone from Australia know if this is national, or just Tasmania? *I am thinking it is Daylight savings related*

Comment

Whilst it will be nice to get Sci-Fi Channel on FOXTEL (Iwill definately be adding to my subscription when it launces on December 1st, 2006); you think they could of done this abit earlier (like BEFORE skiffy cancelled my fav' show?!? )??

Also, it will be interesting to see what these programs like 'nightstalker' etc are on about; seeing as how I have heard mention of them int heforum but have not actually seen any of them. Here's hoping it will be a good channel, otherwise I will axe it & not watch it again (I don't pay to watch crap! ). . . .

Comment

Originally posted by akren
        (I don't pay to watch crap! ). . . .
        And yet you have Foxtel.

I think I would rather upgrade my broadband *cough*

Comment

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...005368,00.html

excerpt:

Foxtel launches sci-fi channel
          October 09, 2006 09:35am

SCIENCE fiction fans are in for a treat with the launch on December 1 of a 24-hour a day channel dedicated to sci-fi television programs like Star Trek.

The Sci Fi channel will offer a mix of modern and classic programming covering paranormal, supernatural and fantasy themes.

Sci Fi will broadcast popular series including hit new series such as Medium and The 4400, plus all of the Star Trek franchise television series (original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise), Stargate, Stargate SG -1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.

The channel will be available to Foxtel Digital subscribers taking the “Laughter & Living” and “My Escape” package tiers, but also as an a-la-carte channel.

Sci Fi?*will be available to Foxtel Digital subscribers from Friday, December 1 on Channel 132.

*Click on link above for the full text*

Comment

This is awesome news! Nice work.
            By the way, great pic.
            I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Democracy simply doesn't work

Comment

Originally posted by Jozxyqk
              This is awesome news! Nice work.
              By the way, great pic.
              As long as Scifi doens't delay SG1/SGA like they do here in the States !

Thanks (re pic).

Comment

It probably won't last two months, but this is still quite an awesome development, indeed.
                Jayne - Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid. But these Reavers... last ten years they show up like the bogeyman from stories. Eating people alive? Where's that get fun?
                Kaylee - Shepherd Book said they was men who just reached the edge of space, saw a vasty nothingness, and went bibbledy over it.
                Jayne - Oh, hell, i've been to the edge. Just looked like... more space.
                - Serenity

Comment

yeah thanks for this info i will keep my eye open

Comment

Originally posted by prionSci Fi will broadcast popular series including hit new series such as Medium and The 4400, plus all of the Star Trek franchise television series (original, Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine and Enterprise), [B
                    Stargate, Stargate SG -1, Stargate Atlantis,[/B] Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.
                    Sounds like a better Sci-fi channel than what the US has!!

Comment

it is but its not always on is it?

Comment

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/comm...005368,00.html

comments on Foxtel from viewers

Comment

More info from The Hollywood Reporter:

Sci Fi Channel touching down in Oz
                          9 October 2006 (The Hollywood Reporter)
                          SYDNEY -- An Australian version of NBC Universal's Sci Fi Channel will launch on local pay TV services Foxtel and Austar on Dec. 1. The channel will be programmed and packaged in Australia by the TV1 General Entertainment Partnership, a Joint Venture between NBC Universal, CBS Paramount International Television and Sony Pictures International Television, who announced the launch Monday. The partnership currently owns and operates top-rated classic hits channel TV1 here. NBC Universal will license the branding for the channel, while its programming will come from a variety of studios and include such series as Medium and The 4400, all of the Star Trek franchise series, Stargate, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.
                          "In the middle of my back swing?!"

Comment

You Aussies are so lucky. I hope it might be available in NZ too. I hope
                            sigpic

"I don't know how you can call yourself a scientist and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry" - Coombs
                            "The men cheered! The women fainted! The children waved multi-coloured flags!" - Amanda Tapping
                            My Livejournal my Tweets and my Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by SGVern
                              Universal will license the branding for the channel, while its programming will come from a variety of studios and include such series as Medium and The 4400, all of the Star Trek franchise series, Stargate, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Galactica, Babylon 5, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Farscape, The Thunderbirds and The X-Files.
                              The thing is, all those shows are either dead or soon to be dead or the first run rights are owned by the FTA Australian networks like Channel 7 (they screen, when they can be bothered, SG-1/SGA) so you are paying in some cases extra for what? Re-runs of old shows, no new content until it has already appeared on FTA.

If you have the cash or already will get it for no more money, fine, but it is not worth it otherwise. Unless you live, eat and breath nothing but scifi/fantasy.

Comment

Working...
                              X