This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate Technology: I say to you, I could build one

Given the time, the money, the people fingerpainting equations all over their living rooms, the materials, and a power supply, I say unto you that I could, indeed, build a Stargate.

It also occurs to me that the writers have practically no clue how the darn thing works, and seem to be getting things pretty consistent out of sheer LUCK. What follows applies to the good old fashioned Analog Gates, and not the newfangled Solid State Pegasus dealies.

Alright, so it's already been mentioned in the series that the Gate creates a Wormhole between two superconducting rings. This is a miracle in itself, as an appropriate 'high temperature superconductor' has yet to be discovered or developed. Such a technology would be perfect for a Gate, let alone, y'know...Minority-report style cars (I've seen the principle demonstrated in action...it really DOES float across things vertically).

The outer ring features control circuitry, the buffer, the subspace communications components, etc etc. The inner ring is essentially just for collecting energy. Part of the function of the outer ring is to create "gates" (gates as in transistors) that 'close' and 'trap' the energy in the inner ring, accelerating it and giving it nowhere to go.

Anyway, I'm going to make a pretty little ASCII diagram now. It's a crude representation of the 'gates' when there's no energy passing through them. Basically in 'off' mode.
    |
    | |
    |

Now in 'on', causing things to swirl a bit:

_
    / \
    \ _ /

This will, eventually, create an non-specific energy well, as opposed to a specific gravity well, which would result in a wormhole (I know they say Wormhole in SG, but I prefer 'Vortex'. Similar, but different). At this stage, the energy is just building, and if you don't have your Gate set up all too well you start getting that nasty seismic thing going on.

So by now the Chevrons have started to get going. Each Chevron that activates represents an outgoing signal (this is when dialing out), and the Gate basically starts 'sniffing' for other Gates to connect to. Should the 6 symbols for local calls be correct, a connection will be established...I would say that the chevrons create a sort of guiding 'rail' that punches into Subspace and guides the path of the Vortex, preventing the messy issues you would experience with an ordinary wormhole. If the address is valid and the final chevron locks, the Gate will create an energy pulse of sorts and BAM, Kawoosh. The momentum for the vortex's creation comes from the higher pressure exerted by our level of space on Subspace, turning that swirl building up in the Gate into the tunnel needed for travel. This is also the reason why the wormhole is one-way, and also the reason your broken down matter has the momentum required to travel through the vortex.

The event horizon guards the Gate Buffer, which is what does the actual breaking down. It would work without the buffer, but I suppose you could deduce the myriads of safety problems that would pose. The buffer is a thin slice o' subspace (again, for the Analog Gates) that, well, buffers your dematerialized particles so nothing bad happens. Your matter is broken down 1:1, no compression...your molecules simply lose their density and then condense back on the other side. The reason why radio waves can travel two ways is because they're WAVES, not particles. Wave goes in one direction, buffer detects it, buffer converts wave to whatever the Gate format is, other buffer detects wave, starts radiating appropriate particles (in the case of electrons) or energy (in the case of an exploding planet).

That about covers the basics, and I could probably answer smartassed questions thrown at me pretty easily...

Now, onto the 8th Chevron. It's not an Area Code, or a Galaxy Code...it's a network code. I will touch on the fancy Pegasus Gates...those special control crystals that allow Analog Network contact? ADCs/DACs or Analog to Digital/Digital to Analog Convertors.

9th Chevron? I'm amazed it hasn't dawned on anyone yet...Planar Code, as in Plane of reality.

Reality, see, is layered like an onion. It's not 4 dimensional, but 6 at least, the other two being Energy Level and Density in no particular order (both being quantifiable measurements that can't be easily observed with the others). Planes of Celestus, anybody? That would also be why their Ring Transporters have that additional ring, so it can cross the planar boundry much as the Gates require an additional chevron.

Of course, the writers continually kill all of this with their horrifying misuse of Hyperspace (You're in Subspace right now!). Considering the many ships in the universe, Gate travel would be rendered impossible by all of the matter getting in the way of the signals - Gate travel only really works if there isn't that much other than signals floating around in subspace. Subspace would be a layer 'below' our habitable planes, with Hyperspace of course being "Hyper", as in to our space what our space is to 2D space...the level 'above'.

Oh, a final note? I <3 the Intergalactic Gate Bridge. It's so plausible and so ingenious...Yay. Call Forwarding.

You may now pick me apart.

i can help you build one i got an old toaster im not using

Comment

Can we put some USB ports on it?

Comment

why dont we just create an ion cannon while we're at it
        sure we could but who would fund it, i doubt george bush with the bloody was in iraq, the british are stingy, us australians wouldnt really fund that, and everyone else it too poor and stingy
        I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Originally posted by KojiroTakenashi
          That would also be why their Ring Transporters have that additional ring, so it can cross the planar boundry much as the Gates require an additional chevron.

What exactly are you talking about in this bit?
          Rings don`t move into different 'planes of reality'. They`re just primitive transporters.

Dematerialize > Send to other set of rings (nearest by default) > Rematerialize

One question though: How would you target the wormhole? How do you tell it to lock onto one gate among hundreds which could be on the other side of the galaxy.

Comment

well could make a ring platform, only thing is a transporter system of that kind has already been created like that, the only problem is, they could only transport one atom at a time, and then it became unstable and well...whats the world........died i guess, we're still in a very early stage of this type of technology
            I Am Locutus_Of_Borg Resistance Is Futile, Hallowed Are The Ori, We Go Out With Our Phasers Firing

[QUE] Founder/Admin - Observation Of Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Entanglement On Supraquantum Structures By Induction Through Nonlinear Transuranic Crystal Of Extremely Long Wavelength Pulse From Mode-Locked Source Array

Comment

Don't forget to give a call to your favorite alien pal on the planet Iamadon, just to be sure that he has a gate ready on the other side as well.
              The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

I'm sure the writers have a few people with insight into these fields that "Stargate" cover to nitpick and stuff.

I mean, Futurama had 3 people with PhDs in their senior staff!

Comment

Then lets go to russia

Comment

Originally posted by talyn2k1
                    What exactly are you talking about in this bit?
                    Rings don`t move into different 'planes of reality'. They`re just primitive transporters.

Dematerialize > Send to other set of rings (nearest by default) > Rematerialize

One question though: How would you target the wormhole? How do you tell it to lock onto one gate among hundreds which could be on the other side of the galaxy.
                    I was talking about the Ori Ring Transporters, not the regular ones. The Ori rings have an additional ring, which I believe is required to get to Celestus.

I believe I explained the targeting, it basically pings the area and waits for a ping back. How do you lock onto one WAP among many?

Oh, and I have an awesome retcon as to why the constellations are all based from Earth: It's the first planet the ancients colonized after leaving their home galaxy

I'm not talking about literally building one, because then we'd have to get into using a Gate without another Gate at the other side...that's power-sucking, mathmatically complicated, horribly horribly nasty business (it's basically what McKay and Mrs. Miller did). Although with two Gates, then we would need to figure out how to build a Gate buffer, find a high-temperature superconductor, R&D subspace communicators, figure out the chevron technology...etc etc. I'm only outlining the concepts.

Comment

how do you guide a wormhole across hyperspace?

Comment

It doesn't go through hyperspace, it goes through subspace, which is fairly empty. Again, I said the chevrons send out signals that act like 'rails' attaching to the other Gate, guiding the path of the vortex.

Comment

Originally posted by KojiroTakenashi
                          It doesn't go through hyperspace, it goes through subspace, which is fairly empty. Again, I said the chevrons send out signals that act like 'rails' attaching to the other Gate, guiding the path of the vortex.
                          subspace is another name for hyperspace, although it does sound weird

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                            i can help you build one i got an old toaster im not using
                            Can you use an old microwave too?
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gatebuster64
                              subspace is another name for hyperspace, although it does sound weird
                              In the show, yes. They misuse the term, though...it's not even etymologically correct. In physics, "Hyper" is pretty much the next dimension 'above' us (insomuch as we are 'above' the 2D), and sub is, well...literally a sub space. The space 'below'.

Seriously, the way Stargate has been FUBARing stuff...Gate Travel would be IMPOSSIBLE with all the baryonic matter moving around getting in the way x_x.

Edit: Dimension in my personal lexicon refers only to "dimension of measurement", and NOT another universe/whatever.
                              Last edited by KojiroTakenashi; 08 October 2006, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X