This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatewatch.org

One of the lists I'm on mentioned this website this morning, and I've only just had a chance to go look at it.

It's pretty funny, I thought. Although I reckon it won't strike some funny bones.

Pela

yes I rather imagine the same sad souls who snipe behind my back about Sassy Gate will be frothing when they see this site!

It is very funny and I will be emailing them to ask if they would consider a reciprocal link with Sassy Gate!
    Keep the science in SciFi!

Comment

Well I must be one of those people with the unstruck funny bone because I found this site to be appalling.

Some cowardly people are hiding behind a proxy server to make fun of other fans, stir up old hurts and angers and get the finger pointing going all over again. They are passing along rumors about the actors and supposed 'behind the scenes' information that, because we don't know who these people are we can't trust or verify if it's legimate news or just rumor mongering.

And I really didn't like the nasty swipe it took at Darren personally just because he has worked hard to become affiliated with MGM and Stargate and has stepped a bit above just being a fan running a site and was granted a panel at the recent Chicago SG1 convention.

I'm not saying Darren and I haven't had our differences and he knows I'm not shy about telling him about things that bother me on Gateworld, but I do respect the name and place he has made for himself and how hard he worked for it.

If the site had just stuck to silly parody articles about the show/characters and some rational editorials about TPTB/direction of the series, it might have been interesting and funny.

But when they started taking nasty swipes at other fan groups and individuals and not having the courage to put their own names on it and be responsible for their words it ceases to be funny and I can tell them from experience that the only reputations they are going to damage is their own by playing this kind of game with other fans.

If they can't stand by what they say and take what they want to dish out to others then it should be called GateTrolls.org..because that's what they are..trolls.

Marla
      Last edited by GateAngel; 31 August 2004, 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling
      ______
      Visit my Entertainment News blog at http://blogs.delphiforums.com/mrreedwriter

Join in the discussion at MichaelShanksArchive

Comment

I'm not going to repeat our private email conversation in whole just one or two things -

As the site's only been up a week and a bit - let's give them a bit more rope and see just how impartial they are or are not ?

Please remember Satire is not about being impartial and fair - it can only be impartial and fair if it is fair by impartially addressing any folly?

Whether Gatewatch does this or not - ie has a wide range of targets remains to be seen?

Personally I would like to see someone take on this major item of fannish hypocrisy:

MY faction / group / clique of friends is the flawless source of all sweetness light niceness and reasonability but yours is full of nasty trolls blah blah blah

and if worse comes to worse I can sool Sassy and Goldie on to them!

Comment

Personally, I've heard nothing but bad things about Gatewatch and I have no interest in supporting such a site. There's a difference between satire and spite, y'know.

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
            Please remember Satire is not about being impartial and fair - it can only be impartial and fair if it is fair by impartially addressing any folly?
            *Any* folly? are you sure?

I think the show itself and to an extent TPTB are legitimate targets for satire - they create a product, we are the consumers. I think Newbie Poster #94 on Stargateforum.wotsit is not a legitimate target for satire, however much 'folly' they commit in their newbie posts. I'd draw the line in between anything Official and anything Fannish, myself. Where would you draw your line - or would you not?

Satirising the show is accepted. Satirising other fans or fan groups is... well, what is the point? It just seems like feuding to me. I'm not dim enough to say 'Can't we all just get along?', force all the factions to shake hands and say 'there, now everyone is friends again' as I take my leave. I'm quite happy for one lot to play in that garden and the other lot lot to play in their garden, ignoring or whispering about each other. I just don't like it when stuff is thrown over the fence.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
              *Any* folly? are you sure?

I think the show itself and to an extent TPTB are legitimate targets for satire - they create a product, we are the consumers. I think Newbie Poster #94 on Stargateforum.wotsit is not a legitimate target for satire, however much 'folly' they commit in their newbie posts. I'd draw the line in between anything Official and anything Fannish, myself. Where would you draw your line - or would you not?

Satirising the show is accepted. Satirising other fans or fan groups is... well, what is the point? It just seems like feuding to me. I'm not dim enough to say 'Can't we all just get along?', force all the factions to shake hands and say 'there, now everyone is friends again' as I take my leave. I'm quite happy for one lot to play in that garden and the other lot lot to play in their garden, ignoring or whispering about each other. I just don't like it when stuff is thrown over the fence.
              Eh, it's a site. Some of it was hysterical, some of it wasn't, but I'm not going to get into lather about it (plus don't have time to read it all anyway). As for fans satirizing each other.... well, they flame each other constantly anyway, and the snarking people do on one group about another group (or any group) never seems to end (Oh, the horrid shippers, oh, the horrid Daniel fans, etc. etc.)

I honestly find it more unsettling when a new fan comes to a group, asks a question, and then is savagedly flamed by an old-timer who yells at the newbie that htey're stupid and should read a FAQ or something. And you wonder why this fandom is such a mess...

Comment

Ok, well I checked it out. Hhmmm, I wouldn't say it was 'funny'. But it didn't really offend me either. As a matter of fact, their write-up about the merchandise marketing was right on the money IMO! ( No pun intended!)

We bought T-shirts, but I wasn't pleased with the selection. Almost bought the calendar, and I still may, but the pics weren't as I had hoped. Heck, even the photos to buy and get signed were WAY old.

They did have 'share your merchandise ideas' at the Chicago con, but my idea of a magnet bumper sitcker with the PoO was completely misunderstood...so now they think I just want magents!! LOL

But I'm digressing again...LOL That website didn't bother me but that may be because I don't wear my feellings on my sleeve and I DO NOT have the least bit of guilt about my Stargate obsession!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Madeleine_W]*Any* folly? are you sure?

Have you read Aristophanes or Juvenal or Martial or some of the nastier 17th writers - beleive me they're much nastier!

One of the purpose of satire is to be corrective - to present a mirror to human behaviour and remind us when things need to be changed

I think Newbie Poster #94 on Stargateforum.wotsit is not a legitimate target for satire, ... Where would you draw your line - or would you not?

I have never targetted newbies and neither did Gatewatch

Satirising the show is accepted. Satirising other fans or fan groups is... well, what is the point? ... I just don't like it when stuff is thrown over the fence.

To remind them not to spread the mess around ?

Most importantly maybe if we can get folks to sit back and laugh they'll stop fighting?

I have no idea who runs Gatewatch. However as I run a humor site myself I feel honor bound to defend them well at least to the extend to pointing out we live in a democracy and have freedom of speech. Like the Voltaire thing?

Hey they added a letter page ... if people dont like the site they can email them and tell them.

As I said before this site's only been up a couple of week ... let's wait and see how things turn out ?

Comment

Working...
                  X