PDA

View Full Version : Season 9 DVD Sales

MediaSavant
October 6th, 2006, 08:46 AM
How will it sell?

Billboard is one source. I don't think the current chart (follow link) reflects the sale for this week, but it's interesting to see that BSG was #7.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Videos&f=Top+DVD+Sales

Note: in case the content of the link changes on future dates, it was labeled Issue Date: 2006-10-14 when I originally posted this and the #1 selling DVD was "Barbie In The 12 Dancing Princesses."

HirogenGater
October 6th, 2006, 09:34 AM
I know the Target near me isn't stocking SG-1 season 9. I don't know if it's just the one by me or all of them but that would hurt sales.

SciFiFreakyGirl
October 6th, 2006, 10:17 AM
I know the Target near me isn't stocking SG-1 season 9. I don't know if it's just the one by me or all of them but that would hurt sales.
I haven't seen it on sale at my Target either :S

prion
October 6th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Well, I usually like to just walk into a store and buy it and it was either Walmart, Circuit City or Best Buy. So, I drove by walmart, parked, walked in. Just ONE copy left of season 9. Shelving behind it was empty. Don't know if that was good or bad, but $34.99. I was like, eh, driving to BB or CC can be a nightmare, so I snatched it up.

I even got as far as taking off the plastic wrapping! ;) Think I shall watch some this weekend.

Descent
October 6th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Barbie.... #1....

*shakes head and walks away*

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
October 6th, 2006, 01:03 PM
When I bought my Season 9 DVD, at Walmart, there about 5 or so left.

N8ball88
October 7th, 2006, 08:51 AM
How will it sell?

Billboard is one source. I don't think the current chart (follow link) reflects the sale for this week, but it's interesting to see that BSG was #7.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Videos&f=Top+DVD+Sales

Note: in case the content of the link changes on future dates, it was labeled Issue Date: 2006-10-14 when I originally posted this and the #1 selling DVD was "Barbie In The 12 Dancing Princesses."

I checked Target too, but either there weren't any, or they sold them all already.

Farscapefan
October 7th, 2006, 09:02 AM
At the moment season 9 is #7 at Amazon.com :) - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/new-for-you/top-sellers/-/dvd/all/ref=pd_dp_ts_d_1/002-6052451-1976020

and BSG season 2.5 is #8.

HirogenGater
October 7th, 2006, 02:11 PM
When I bought my Season 9 DVD, at Walmart, there about 5 or so left.

Nice to hear that SOME Wal-Marts actually got these in.

BenWahBallBoy
October 7th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I went to Best Buy in SoHo, sold out according to the clerk, went to Virgin at Union Square, they said they were out, went to a comic book shop down the street, they were sold out(but they said they only had 10 copies)... finally, I got the last copy that Circuit City in Union Square had just because I spotted it on the "put back on the shelf" cart. This was 2 days ago, but I was amazed, especially that Virgin was out... cus I had a 5 dollar off coupon for there!

HirogenGater
October 7th, 2006, 03:56 PM
I went to Best Buy in SoHo, sold out according to the clerk, went to Virgin at Union Square, they said they were out, went to a comic book shop down the street, they were sold out(but they said they only had 10 copies)... finally, I got the last copy that Circuit City in Union Square had just because I spotted it on the "put back on the shelf" cart. This was 2 days ago, but I was amazed, especially that Virgin was out... cus I had a 5 dollar off coupon for there!

Ahh...it never fails if you have a coupon!

Nolamom
October 8th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Which is likely why they were sold out - if they were offering money off. I haven't decided for certain about 9. It was not my favorite year.

Goddess
October 8th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Season 9 passed up Grey's Anatomy for the #5 spot on Amazon.com on Wednesday. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty impressed!

Konman72
October 8th, 2006, 07:15 PM
Season 9 passed up Grey's Anatomy for the #5 spot on Amazon.com on Wednesday. I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty impressed!
Indeed.

ted18852103
October 8th, 2006, 08:57 PM
i got 1 of 2 copys wal mart had in my area and i was there at 12:01 on the
3rd

Akai
October 12th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I couldn't find it anywhere around here (Columbus, OH)...went to Best Buy and Wal-Mart, neither one had it. Wal-Mart only had season 1 (!?), Best Buy had everything but seasons 5 and 9, and there was a blank spot next to season 8, so I assume they were just sold out. I didn't feel like going over to the mall to look, so I just ordered it from amazon.

FoolishPleasure
October 12th, 2006, 10:59 AM
My Target didn't have it either, so I just ordered it from Amazon. Don't know if Target was sold out, or didn't bother to stock it at all. Maybe they just didn't realize us "rednecks" like science fiction too. ;)

HirogenGater
October 12th, 2006, 04:20 PM
My Target didn't have it either, so I just ordered it from Amazon. Don't know if Target was sold out, or didn't bother to stock it at all. Maybe they just didn't realize us "rednecks" like science fiction too. ;)

My local Walmart was carrying S9, but not at Target.

Lenonn
October 12th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I was at Sam's Club last weekend. They had the slimline versions of seasons one through eight, but not a season nine to be found.

HirogenGater
October 13th, 2006, 03:58 PM
I was at Sam's Club last weekend. They had the slimline versions of seasons one through eight, but not a season nine to be found.

Hmm..strange. In my experience stores like that have the DVDs out for sale on the release date.

prion
October 13th, 2006, 04:55 PM
My local Walmart was carrying S9, but not at Target.

I got mine at Walmart as well; was going to get it at Best Buy but since I was driving right past Walmart - either got their only copy or last copy.

magicalbookworm
October 13th, 2006, 05:10 PM
None of stores in my town had season nine either! I finally had to go to borders to get it. :) but at least I own it now!
Yay!

MediaSavant
October 16th, 2006, 05:46 AM
As an update, Billboard's top 10 is posted:

http://billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Videos&f=Top+DVD+Sales

While BSG made the top 10 last week, Sg-1 failed to do so this week.

FoolishPleasure
October 16th, 2006, 06:50 AM
As an update, Billboard's top 10 is posted:

http://billboard.com/bbcom/charts/chart_display.jsp?g=Videos&f=Top+DVD+Sales

While BSG made the top 10 last week, Sg-1 failed to do so this week.

If the retailers aren't carrying it (obviously Target is not), then who can buy it? I had to order from Amazon because I couldn't find Season 9 in stores anywhere in my area.

BTW, at Amazon, it is #18, and BSG is #16.

StratoBOB
October 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Acourding to The Numbers (http://www.the-numbers.com/)
in THIS (http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=2182) article about the new sales Stargate SG-1 Season 9 leads the TV DVD sales last week :

Over on the TV on DVD sales chart, Stargate SG-1 - Season 9 was the winner this week. Meanwhile, Lost - The Complete Second Season rose a spot to second place. South Park - The Hits - Volume 1 - Matt and Trey's Top Ten opened in third place while Grey's Anatomy - The Complete Second Season - Uncut fell from first to fourth. Battlestar Galactica - Season 2.5 didn't have nearly as sharp a tumble as it slipped one spot to fifth.

Take a look at the article (http://www.the-numbers.com/interactive/newsStory.php?newsID=2182) at the bottom of the page for this kind of news.

Locutus_Of_Borg
October 16th, 2006, 10:47 PM
don't know, it wasnt the most popular season but every stargate fan who gets the boxes will get it, i already got it :) !, it came out in aus like a month before america lol, GO AUSTRALIA

SGAmyth22
October 17th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Sam's Club, BJ's Wholesale Club and Costco will only buy the very popular DVD releases, thoses club type stores are cutting back on what DVD and Music Cd's they buy, they are not selling enough to make it profitable for them to do so. ( I work at one, and that is the reason I get when I ask the buyer for our chain)

APOPHIStheGREAT
October 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I have seasons 1-8 but im really hesitant about buying season 9.

Pitry
October 21st, 2006, 04:23 AM
As a note, I also got the impression a lot fo stores weren't ready for it - as I was in the US when it was released and looked for a copy - I didn't find any neither in Virgin nor Tower Records (both were pretty big stores and by the shelves it never was there, not sold out) - and only in Barnes & Noble did I find the season 9 DVDs.

Farscapefan
October 21st, 2006, 06:04 AM

Why? Season 9 is really great, much better than majority of previous seasons. At least, IMHO.

saberhagen83
October 21st, 2006, 09:46 AM

I am too, I have all the other season and I might buy 9 and 10 just to complete the SG1 collection. But I think I'll buy them in that case when the prices go down, usually do when the next season arrives. S9/10 just isn't as good as it used to be IMHO. I'm in no hurry to buy it.