PDA

View Full Version : Manually Dailing the PG Gates

Wraith named Michael
October 6th, 2006, 12:35 AM
We all know how you can manually dail the MW gates. But how do you manually the PG gates?

Hatcheter
October 6th, 2006, 01:53 AM
We all know how you can manually dail the MW gates. But how do you manually the PG gates?

Take a large mallet and pound the symbols you want to dial.

Esquin
October 6th, 2006, 02:17 AM
See "Phantoms" for proof of this.

But the shorter version is that you don't. And can't.

Jumper One
October 6th, 2006, 04:27 AM
Altough PG gates may look cooler, they're at a disadvantage in this matter. :mckay:

Carl
October 6th, 2006, 08:37 AM
You'd think that you could interface a computer with the stargate in order to start the dialling sequence... shame that you can't.

TechnoWraith
October 6th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Has anyone considered the fact that you might be able to manually dial out from the DHD rather than the gate itself? There may be some sort of back-up built into the Pegasus DHD's that allow for a manual dial-out. If indeed the PG gates are "more advanced" than the Milky Way gates, there would be some sort of allowance for a manual dial-out.

The far fetched idea is that i have is that there was no real intention for a manual dial-out to begin with for the Milky Way gates. It just happens to be a coincidence that the inner track could be manaully spun and the chevrons locked in by hand. (Highly unlikely scenario however.)

Carl
October 6th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Has anyone considered the fact that you might be able to manually dial out from the DHD rather than the gate itself? There may be some sort of back-up built into the Pegasus DHD's that allow for a manual dial-out. If indeed the PG gates are "more advanced" than the Milky Way gates, there would be some sort of allowance for a manual dial-out.

The far fetched idea is that i have is that there was no real intention for a manual dial-out to begin with for the Milky Way gates. It just happens to be a coincidence that the inner track could be manaully spun and the chevrons locked in by hand. (Highly unlikely scenario however.)

9 times out of 10 the reason that you have to dial out manually is that there is no DHD present when the MALP is sent through or that it has been destroyed. In that scenario, [for MW gates] its not simply a matter of spinning the inner track. You also need an energy supply - usually a naquadah reactor.

Conor
October 6th, 2006, 09:28 AM
As everyone knows, all PG gates have 2 USB ports on the back. So you just put the address on the USB key, plug it into the gate and you're laughing:mckay: Its also possible to charge your MP3 player from the gate in this way :D

ColCaldwell
October 6th, 2006, 10:10 AM
I could see Sheppard hooking his laptop to a gate having a computer virus and crashing the entire gate system.:lol:

Cap116
October 6th, 2006, 10:24 AM
As everyone knows, all PG gates have 2 USB ports on the back. So you just put the address on the USB key, plug it into the gate and you're laughing:mckay: Its also possible to charge your MP3 player from the gate in this way :D

And the PG gates symbols will blink with the music's beat when they play.

Do you think that they could transport Stargate from the MW to the PG and put it in Atlantis so they could manually dial out in case the power ever went out?

Conor
October 6th, 2006, 10:29 AM
No because the constellations on the MW gates are tied to the Milky Way. Whereas the pegasus gates are re-programeable (presumebly). Thye MW gates couldnt lock to a set of co-ordinates in pegasus because the constellations are different

Cap116
October 6th, 2006, 10:46 AM
The reason I thought of that was because in Season 9 SG1 "Off The Grid"

SPOILERS

[when Ba'al was stealing Stargates, they said he was going to reset them and start a new empire, in what I thought they said in a new galaxy.]

Could that make it possible to take a MW gate to PG?

Cap116
October 6th, 2006, 10:48 AM
The reason I thought of that was because in

[SPOILERS] for Season 9 SG1 "Off The Grid"

when Ba'al was stealing Stargates, they said he was going to reset them and start a new empire, in what I thought they said in a new galaxy.

Could that make it possible to take a MW gate to PG?

Conor
October 6th, 2006, 11:00 AM
No I thought he said he was going to use those gates to make a mini-network of his own gates. Like in 'Prototype' when you needed a password for the gate to let you in!

Zatnikitelman
October 6th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Why do MW 'Gates have to be more advanced than Pegasus 'Gates? The Normal process is essentially the same, punch up the coordinates on the dhd. However, upgrades are frequently added after the previous versions had a flaw or something. We don't know when the current MW 'Gate system was built. It could be after returning to MW from Pegasus. If anything, I'd say the MW 'Gates are more advanced simply because the manual dialing is almost fail-safe while relying on a "digital" system like in Pegasus could leave you stranded like in "Phantoms"

Cap116
October 6th, 2006, 04:02 PM
No I thought he said he was going to use those gates to make a mini-network of his own gates. Like in 'Prototype' when you needed a password for the gate to let you in!

You're right Conor, after I left the quote I went back and read the summary on the episode, and that is what he was going to do. Oh well, there goes that idea. Hmm....what else can they do?

Zed.P.M.
October 6th, 2006, 06:57 PM
No because the constellations on the MW gates are tied to the Milky Way. Whereas the pegasus gates are re-programeable (presumebly). Thye MW gates couldnt lock to a set of co-ordinates in pegasus because the constellations are different
What about in 'Pegasus Project'? SG-1 brought a MW gate with them to Pegasus, and dialed the MW with it near the black hole.

Lightbane
October 6th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Mckay didn't say it was impossible to manually dial the gate in 'Phantoms' he said that there was no power source or the control crystals were either damaged or destroyed. But of course you can't physically move them like SG-1 did in the Prison World episode you'd need a computer or something like the SGC to dial the gate if the DHD is missing or destroyed.

What about in 'Pegasus Project'? SG-1 brought a MW gate with them to Pegasus, and dialed the MW with it near the black hole.

Simple. Relativity. That is really hard to explain however

Prior Jon
October 6th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Simple enough, you dont need to manually dial out because of PJs. If you didnt bring one along, just hold out until you're overdue, and use a radio signal to tell atlantis that you need a PJ. Problem solved.

Lightbane
October 6th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Yeah but on 'Phantoms' the wraith device was causing too much interference so they didn't know what was going on

Your point is totally valid however

Zed.P.M.
October 6th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Simple. Relativity. That is really hard to explain however
No I meant that this proves that you can use MW gates in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Lightbane
October 6th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Yes you can but its very difficult, they dialed a MW gate from Peg not a Peg gate with a MW gate, The PG gates have the symbols required to dial Earth but none of the other MW gates, the gate symbols don't match.

They could only use the gate to dial from PG to MW because of the blackhole that was powering the stargate

Gilgamesh
October 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Actually, I've always thought of the Pegasus galaxy gates as being the newer ones; the "2nd generation" gates if you will.

It makes sense when a technology is relatively new to design in as many failsafes as possible to guarantee the thing will work.

For example, early steam ships included sails and masts in case the steam engines failed. A good example of this is the Great Eastern, launched in 1858, which not only had sailing masts, but more safety features than Titanic launched 54 years later in 1912. In fact, Great Eastern suffered a mishap early in its career similar to Titanic's in scale, when Great Eastern's outer hull was torn open. Unlike Titanic, Great Eastern was able to limp home without sinking.

Once steam engines became more reliable, sailing masts were dropped from ship design. Unfortunately for Titanic, a few too many safety features were dropped from ship design as well.

But back to stargates, my thought is the manual dialing mode was an early backup feature locked into gate standards in the Milky Way. That feature was probably rarely, if ever, actually used by the Ancients, especially in later years. But the design standard called for it, and in the interest of maintaining compatibility with early gates, was kept.

The move to the Pegasus Galaxy, on the other hand, provided a rare opportunity for the engineers to start fresh with updated gate design standards. Make the gates digital instead of analog. Get rid of that "useless" manual dialing mode no one uses anyway. (At least, not used by the Ancients, which is who they would have cared about.)

Sheppard
October 6th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Actually, I've always thought of the Pegasus galaxy gates as being the newer ones; the "2nd generation" gates if you will.

It makes sense when a technology is relatively new to design in as many failsafes as possible to guarantee the thing will work.

For example, early steam ships included sails and masts in case the steam engines failed. A good example of this is the Great Eastern, launched in 1858, which not only had sailing masts, but more safety features than Titanic launched 54 years later in 1912. In fact, Great Eastern suffered a mishap early in its career similar to Titanic's in scale, when Great Eastern's outer hull was torn open. Unlike Titanic, Great Eastern was able to limp home without sinking.

Once steam engines became more reliable, sailing masts were dropped from ship design. Unfortunately for Titanic, a few too many safety features were dropped from ship design as well.

But back to stargates, my thought is the manual dialing mode was an early backup feature locked into gate standards in the Milky Way. That feature was probably rarely, if ever, actually used by the Ancients, especially in later years. But the design standard called for it, and in the interest of maintaining compatibility with early gates, was kept.

The move to the Pegasus Galaxy, on the other hand, provided a rare opportunity for the engineers to start fresh with updated gate design standards. Make the gates digital instead of analog. Get rid of that "useless" manual dialing mode no one uses anyway. (At least, not used by the Ancients, which is who they would have cared about.)

exactly all they cared about was them selves

Gilgamesh
October 6th, 2006, 11:04 PM
The far fetched idea is that i have is that there was no real intention for a manual dial-out to begin with for the Milky Way gates. It just happens to be a coincidence that the inner track could be manaully spun and the chevrons locked in by hand.

Actually, that's a VERY good thought. What we think of as the "manual" dialing backup process may, in fact, simply be an accident in design history--a result of design creep. It is, after all, a very awkward thing to turn the gate ring by hand, and you still need an external power source if the DHD is missing. The gates were probably never intended to be turned by hand at all.

What if the earliest gates--perhaps ones no longer in existence any more--in fact required the ring to be physically turned, the same way the ring is operated by the SGC? Then later gate design eliminated the need to actually turn the ring to dial, but the feature was maintained for backward compatibilty, or because turning was part of the frozen design standard.

A real-life example. Touch-tone phones were first available in the 1960's, but even today, the phone system maintains compatibility with rotary dial phones. Do you know any one who still uses a rotary phone?

Sheppard
October 6th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Do you know any one who still uses a rotary phone?

yeah i do

Dromag67
October 7th, 2006, 12:44 AM

Are those USB ports the USB2 ports?

Because if you just use the good old USB it wont be as fast. :D

akren
October 7th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Take a large mallet and pound the symbols you want to dial.

ROTFLMAO!:jack_new_anime06:

In all seriousness, I don't you could even if you wanted to; as, unlike the Milkyway StarGates - which have a spinning innner track you can manually turn by hand once sufficent energy is pumped into them to unlock the inner ring of these 'older' Stargates - the Pegasus Galaxy StarGate's have an inner track comprised of digital signals & light (to compaire the two, it would be like analogue vs. digital); so I guess you can't do it without saome sort of interface; like the DHD or a on-boarding dialing consule like those found on Darts &/or Puddle Jumpers.

Sheppard
October 7th, 2006, 01:43 AM
ok i have heard so much about these usb ports on the gate can someone post a pic and show me where they are??

Cam_Mitchell
October 7th, 2006, 02:05 AM
Umm well you could connect the PM gate to a pc and dial it that way, that always seems to work on SGA lol.

--Gaz--

Conor
October 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM
ok i have heard so much about these usb ports on the gate can someone post a pic and show me where they are??

ROFL! I was joking! Did you really think the Ancients had USB ports!?! Lol now the ethernet ports on the other hand...:cameron:

Jakebbq
October 7th, 2006, 05:26 AM
ROFL! I was joking! Did you really think the Ancients had USB ports!?! Lol now the ethernet ports on the other hand...:cameron:

they can connect to the internet as well?

Gilgamesh
October 7th, 2006, 06:30 AM
ok i have heard so much about these usb ports on the gate can someone post a pic and show me where they are??ROFL! I was joking! Did you really think the Ancients had USB ports!?! Lol now the ethernet ports on the other hand...:cameron:
Actually, my interpretation is that Sheppard was getting tired of the joking around and would rather have a more serious discussion. Not that he thought Stargates have USB ports.

I mean, come on! These things are OLD! They predate USB. Everyone knows they have RS232 serial ports in back.... :)

Cap116
October 7th, 2006, 10:40 AM

Yes, good point James Bond, as I said before they might be able to bring a Stargate from the MW, to use as a back up in Atlantis in case power goes out so they can manually dial out. Based on the "Pegasus Project" episode.
Which makes it an option. IMO

Zatnikitelman
October 7th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Don't the Pegasus symbols spin as well? Maybe not physically, but when we do see the dialing procedure from Atlantis, don't the symbols rotate around the 'Gate like MW only digitized?

Cap116
October 7th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Don't the Pegasus symbols spin as well? Maybe not physically, but when we do see the dialing procedure from Atlantis, don't the symbols rotate around the 'Gate like MW only digitized?

Yeah, but they don't physically spin, the spinning effect is just lights going through the symbols making it look like the inner ring is spinning, when it really is not.

Gilgamesh
October 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Yeah, but they don't physically spin, the spinning effect is just lights going through the symbols making it look like the inner ring is spinning, when it really is not.
Right. It's the "look cool" factor again.

Given that the PG gates have those little arrays of lights at each "symbol" position, I'm sure some scientist on Atlantis can figure out a way to program the lights to spell out a message instead of actually dialing. Like, "Lose weight fast! Ask me how." zipping around the ring. :)

TheUnknown
October 8th, 2006, 05:40 PM

Didn't they use a dialing crystal?

JoseP927
October 27th, 2006, 08:14 AM

Ahh, how did the Atlantis team get there in the series premiere?

JoseP927
October 27th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Actually, my interpretation is that Sheppard was getting tired of the joking around and would rather have a more serious discussion. Not that he thought Stargates have USB ports.

I mean, come on! These things are OLD! They predate USB. Everyone knows they have RS232 serial ports in back.... :)

I thought the PG gates had Bluetooth capabillity?