Only two stars??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only two stars??

The season premiere only garnered 2 stars in the gateworld guide! It doesn't seem fair that only one person gets to decide the official gateworld rating (or so I've been told)! At the very least they should wait until some opinions have been expressed on the forum and derive a rating from other people's impressions as well. I generally agree with most ratings on this site (Siege 3 and Critical Mass excluded) but this time it's blatently unjust. I'm sorry if this is too "ranty" but I thought it must be brought up.
    Spoiler:
    Check out my fanfiction! http://www.fanfiction.net/~memnarch

Well that is a bit of a bummer. Perhaps the reason why it got 2 stars (which is ridiculous since ive heard this episode is one of the best ones released yet !!) was because it only really featured Jack,Kate,Sawyer and Fenry and not the rest of the cast.
    Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

First off, its Darren's site and his opinions are the ones that he puts up, its not unjust, its his opinion and only his, he shouldnt have to put up what the forums say or every epiosde of every show would end up being ****. Personall yI would have ranked it higher, but thats just me.
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

I disagree. I think most people are fair and balanced in rating them, at least on the forums. I don't think the polls should be entered into the official rating since they always score an 8 or higher. This episode wasn't perfect. Even a ** 1/2 would've been nice. Still, I see your point in that it is his site and he should get to be in charge of what's put on it.
        Spoiler:

Comment

** means it was an average episode. I would've rated it **1/2 (above average) but then again, I'm not Darren and this isn't my site.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

I think 2 stars is right. I would have given it one star if it wasn't for the beginning.

And Gateworld's ratings matter because? Gateworld's ratings system is completely off anyways. They give terrible STargate episodes high ratings and then better ones lower ratings. It never makes sense and that's why we don't listen to them.

Comment

I thought the saving grace of the episode was the first act. But yeah, 2 stars is definitely fair. The whole episode I was waiting for something to happen, but nothing ever did. I kept reading all these glowing reviews (even from Aintitcoolnews.com's main reviewer "Herc", who is usually spot-on with my own person likes and dislikes, called it the best episode since the premier ((odd)), but after seeing it I was sort of perplexed.

The rest of the season sounds teriffic, I was never really looking forward to this episode, but it's a rough start.

And I never took Gateworlds ratings seriously. Many of my favorite SG episodes are rated low, and even on the other shows they rate.

**1/2 for the Dead Zones "Totsl Awareness" - Way to low
              ** for BSG's season two premier? - Way to low
              ***1/2 for SG's Fourth Horseman part II? - Way to high

One big loud *Sigh*
              I just tend to never fully agree with them.
              Last edited by Chricton; 08 October 2006, 10:50 AM.
              Music Profile: 83710 Songs --- 3714 Artists --- 7051 Albums

Comment

I thought the episode was good not great.I thought it would be better.I do think this weeks episode should give some more answers and should get things moving along.I still think season 3 is going to be good.

Comment

Forgive me, but this whole thing is kind of silly. Opinions are opinions. Some of you are speaking as if this episode or that episode was clearly, objectively good or bad.

GW Ratings are my own opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Do note that two stars is "Average," not "Not That Good." For a show like Lost, an "average" episode is pretty darn good. There is a delicate balance to strike here: I tend to rank episodes higher than two stars because, well, these are my favorite shows on television. But once you start giving 98 percent of episodes * * 1/2 and above, then two stars isn't really "Average" anymore, is it?
                  GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                  The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                  Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Hmmm...I never look at the GW ratings. *shrug*
                    I decide for myself how much I like an episode.
                    "Science Fiction is an existential metaphor. It allows us to to tell stories about the human condition.
                    Isaac Asimov once said 'Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and and philosphers of today. But the core of science fiction--it's essence--has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all.' "
                    ~Grell, 'Silver/Teal'c', SG-1, 200th Episode

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                      Forgive me, but this whole thing is kind of silly. Opinions are opinions. Some of you are speaking as if this episode or that episode was clearly, objectively good or bad.

GW Ratings are my own opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Do note that two stars is "Average," not "Not That Good." For a show like Lost, an "average" episode is pretty darn good. There is a delicate balance to strike here: I tend to rank episodes higher than two stars because, well, these are my favorite shows on television. But once you start giving 98 percent of episodes * * 1/2 and above, then two stars isn't really "Average" anymore, is it?
                      I understand my misstep now. I voiced an opinion that I probably should have kept to myself. You have every right to choose the ratings for your own site. I was not aware that the site was run by a single person, but was under the impression that it was a democracy of some sort. I apologize and I encourage other people not to continue posting on this thread because its course has been run.
                      Spoiler:

Comment

Differences of opinion are always welcome -- that's why this forum exists.

I'd just encourage everyone to recognize that their own opinion about an episode is just that -- your own opinion. Remarkably, others may differ.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Working...
                        X