This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daedalus, Odessey Shields

A big question I have is that, why is every time one of the Human Ships is under attack, the shields get so depleted so fast. I thought they were Asgard shields, that not even the Goa'uld could not even break through. But it seems recently it only takes a couple shots and they are gone. Now I understand why the Ori weapons beat them, but why everyone else. Help me out people.

: Green is Good.
    sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

normally there outnumbered alot

And last time there shield strengh was reduced because of the effects of whatever they was near

Comment

Good point, it just seems whenever they are in battle the shields just seem to go. I will say that the Daedalus is alot better than the Odessey, it might also be because they actually have an Asgard aboard all the time.

: Green is Good.
      sigpic I NEED MORE POWER!!!

Comment

It really comes down to how the shields work. For example, when you think of shields, you generally think of some kind of force field that surrounds the ship, right? But when they're yelling "Shields are down to 20%!", what does that mean?

In Stargate, I think the shields only deflect a portion of incoming damage. For example, with shields at 100% the shields deflect all the incoming damage, but at 50% they only deflect 50% of the incoming damage.
        This would mean that once the shields drop to 99%, the ship is taking damage, albeit not much. By the time the shields get down to 20%, the ship has already been taking damage for quite a while, which explains why the ship is damaged while the shields still up.
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Deadalus first mission 2 Hives 9 cruisers,then 10 hive and 36 cruisers...

Odessey first mission out went against 3 Hatak
          Then the Ori Cruisers, Then Ambushed by 3+ Hatak with weaken shields..they are always far out numbered and out classed

Comment

i agree with jarin thats why the ancient shields make the city not rock because the ancient shields opperate at 100% till the power sorce is gone dont remember where it said that but it did.

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

Originally posted by ur uncle urgo
              i agree with jarin thats why the ancient shields make the city not rock because the ancient shields opperate at 100% till the power sorce is gone dont remember where it said that but it did.
              Yeah, the Lantians had the best shield technology. The Ori shields are probably equal though.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

yup - city shields are "connected" directly to the power source, they drop only when overall power drops - maybe this sort of config is only possible for very large constructions

whereas ship shields seem to draw their power from some sort of "shield buffer" or generator (itself connected to main power) - when shields are down to X% it means that this buffer is only X% full (but shields are still @ full efficiency)
                The buffer slowly recharges with time, but during battle it is drained faster than it recharges. This would also explain why when shields are down the ship is still operational, and not power-depleted & drifting in space
                This is how it seems to work in just about every sci-fi series with shielded ships - SG, B5, ST, etc.

Comment

do you think tho that the zmp has a different program in it to keep it from blowing (other that the regulare one as in critical mass) because the shield draws as needed from the zmp so mass amounts are going to it at all times to stay at 100% a power spike of 10 hives hitting it at full power would blow the zmp without a buffer program?

Comment

I dunno...imagine the ZPM as a glass of water - now you can pour the water a drop at a time, or on the other extreme you can pour out all the water at once - either way this won't damage the glass because given its wide opening it can easily withstand heavy flows
                    So maybe that's how it works for the ZPM...
                    Remember how they emptied that ZPM in 3x08 (McKay & Miller)? Took 'em only a few seconds to completely deplete it when it was initially well over half-full - they "spilled" all the water & emptied the glass

Comment

thats a great way to put it i really like it green for you

Comment

thats a great way to put it i really like it green for you
                        Thanks d00d - but hey it's only a theory about a very, very, very <insert many verys here> theoretical means of power generation that ain't gonna be around for long while (if ever) - dont take it too seriously

Comment

Actually your previous post could also kinda explain why a direct link between main power & shields is impossible on most ships - it would drain too much energy way too fast from the power supply & cause an overload and the whole s**t would go kaboom - so they need to insert a generator in between main power & the shields to act as a buffer or something

The exceptions being ZPMs (which are ultra-advanced & designed to withstand much greater outputs) and more advanced tech - such as that on the Ori ships, perhaps. In which case it means it would take several hours, even days of continuous firing at an ori ship to deplete its shields! *yikes*

Comment

it would be easier to estimate gould shield stregnth with ours if we had a one on one fight just to see how much our rail guns can do. from there we could estimate the ammount of damage the staff cannon can do. and from there guestimate the stregnth of our shields, relative to weapons fire.

one round for the rail gun should be about 1 gram (its an estimate). being that it impacts things at mach 5 at 250 miles that should give an impact of 1.7 kg/s at 250 miles. im not sure if my units are correct.
                            Their white flags are no match to our guns!!

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndgenerationalteran
                              one round for the rail gun should be about 1 gram (its an estimate). being that it impacts things at mach 5 at 250 miles that should give an impact of 1.7 kg/s at 250 miles. im not sure if my units are correct.
                              The impact speed and power is important I think.

I'm going to put this all in a spoilers block since I don't know what is acceptible here.

Spoiler:
                              I do believe that all ships with orange shields in the Stargate universe are of the Goa'uld type, which is most likely the original Ancient type (seen on Aurora class warships such as the Orion ("No Man's Land")) and the Goa'uld scavenged it from their abandoned outposts and began to mass produce it for their motherships as well as personal defense of their system lords.

We know that the Ancients had at least two different classes of hyperdrive, so it stands to reason that they also had different classes of other technology, and that the Asgard had access to some of these classes and fitted Prometheus with a more advanced version of this particular type of shielding, somewhat modified by them ("Asgard designed") to be more advanced than the Goa'uld could have access to.

The amount of damage blocked by this type of shield is most likely always proportional to the amount of energy (kinetic or otherwise) being directed at it during the attack. This is why I think Mitchell and Carter were so suprised when the Ori beam broke through the shield ("Ethon"), since the more powerful the beam was, the more likely the shield should've been to hold it back, up to the power limits of the ship.

This would explain why Earth's weapons are purposely weak, because they were designed to fight Ha'taks.

Comment

Working...
                              X