Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientists vote on best scifi film of all time...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scientists vote on best scifi film of all time...

And the winner is...

Bladerunner
    (either version)

The Guardian interviewed 56 scientists, who voted Bladerunner as the "best science fiction film of all time."
    1. Blade Runner (1982) [either version]
    2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
    3. Star Wars (1977) / The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
    4. Alien (1979)
    5. Solaris (1972) [not the George Clooney version]

They also voted on the top sci-fi authors:
    1. Isaac Asimov
    2. John Wyndham
    3. Fred Hyole
    4. Philip K. Dick
    5. HG Wells

See story here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/st...290823,00.html
    or here (list of top ten):
    http://film.guardian.co.uk/sciencefi...291240,00.html
    or here (with poll):
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertain...lm/3600802.stm

I'm not so sure I would have put Bladerunner first, but it's certainly within my top ten, as are Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, 2001 and Alien. I haven't seen the 1972 Solaris, yet. Asimov, Dick and Wells are among my favorite authors, as well.
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Star Was is fantasy and Alien is horror. How did these three films get voted as best sci-fi movies?

Comment

First, Blade Runner "either version"??? The original cut was ... lacking, for the lack of a better word. The directors cut is also my own personal all time fav so I agree with that.

Star Wars is sorta fantasy scifi. I can live with it being here.

2001 is one of the dullest movies I've ever seen but the story is great. But I would recommend just reading the book

On the whole I agree with the movie list although I've not seen Solaris (only the remake). From what I've heard it makes 2001 seem action packed so I'm going to ignore it for now

As for the authors.

I've never read anything by John Wyndham or Fred Hyole. Ashimov was of course a shoe-in for the top spot, heartily agree but I feel that Arthur C. Clarke should have made the top 5 list.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
        Star Was is fantasy and Alien is horror. How did these three films get voted as best sci-fi movies?
        While I agree that Star Wars is fantasy, Alien clearly fits in that genre. Besides, many movies fall across any number of genres.

Comment

Originally posted by Major Fischer
          While I agree that Star Wars is fantasy, Alien clearly fits in that genre. Besides, many movies fall across any number of genres.
          I agree on Alien. It is (to be specific) a SciFi/Thriller movie. There is no fantastic element. Star Wars is more of a fantasy but it's still in a bit of a grey area.

Comment

Star Wars is scifi in the popular "If it's space travel or aliens, it's scifi" mindset. If you classify scifi as futuristic and/or centering around the use of technology, I guess it isn't, but I would also argue that that would be genre nitpicking. "Scifi/Fantasy" and "Scifi/Horror" are acceptable genres because so many films, books, etc. cross those lines.

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."

Comment

How is Alien sci-fi? You have a ship with a crew of 7, and an alien that's trying to eat everyone. It's fiction, it's horror... where's the science involved?

Comment

How is Alien sci-fi? You have a ship with a crew of 7, and an alien that's trying to eat everyone. It's fiction, it's horror... where's the science involved?
                Well it is a SPACE ship. They also have an ANDRIOD. And the ship is also outfited with HYBERNATION units. None of these technologies exist today.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                  Well it is a SPACE ship. They also have an ANDRIOD. And the ship is also outfited with HYBERNATION units. None of these technologies exist today.
                  Not to mention they discover a new ALIEN race which gestates in the host body...

Comment

Not to mention they discover a new ALIEN race which gestates in the host body...
                    That's not science. That's gooey biology...yet another sub-genre.

Comment

Good for Asimov. The Foundation Trilogy is ony of the best series' I have read, totally engrossing. I haven't read many books by the others, although I did read "The Chrysalids" by Wyndham and I didn't think it was all that special, quite boring actually.

Comment

Everyone knows the best scifi movie ever is "Space Babe."

Comment

I don't know about "Space Babe" (isn't that a genre?), but Space Truckers is most definitely a winner.

...Square Pigs...Square Pigs...

Comment

Sci-fi encompasses different subcategories too. You can have a sci-fi movie that is subcategorized as horror/drama/comedy/mystery/suspense/action/fanstasy. I'm not sure what the main elements of sci-fi are, but usually it involves space/aliens/high tech stuff. I think some stuff, like Jurassic Park, can be classified as sci-fi because they are works of fiction that involve a lot of science and technology.

Lord of the Rings is mythology/fantasy; it's not sci-fi. Star Wars could be mythology and fantasy, but since it's primary medium is technology (ships, lasers, lightsabers, Death Stars, droids), it's more sci-fi than fantasy/mythology. Alien involved an alien creature trapped on a spaceship, so it's also more sci-fi than horror. If the alien creature were trapped on an ocean cruise liner, than maybe it would be more horror, but since it's an alien and not some dude in a hockey mask with a big knife, it's more sci-fi than horror.

A lot of movies are hybrids of different genres. Like Lethal Weapon is primarily an action/adventure more with a large dose of comedy. Fifth Element is sci-fi with some mythology/theology thrown into it.

Comment

I've never finished 2001, I found it boring and annoying.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X